HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maple Leafs waive Tim Connolly

Old
01-17-2013, 03:37 PM
Mansfield
possession obsession

vCash: 500
I imagine he'll be claimed, personally. has a lot of potential, and a fairly small deal with no long term commitment.

Mansfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:42 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

wouldn't be suprised to see him get claimed Vancouver needs a center, hawks as well maybe the isles. There are some spots that could use him for sure

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:56 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
I imagine he'll be claimed, personally. has a lot of potential, and a fairly small deal with no long term commitment.
I can't think of any team that would want him at the cap hit he has. Vancouver and Chicago are near the cap. Detroit has been mentioned as a possibility because they have almost $9 million in cap space, but who wants to pay a third line centre $4.75 million, even if it is for one season. All three teams would be better off going with what they have and making trades later in the year.

I really don't see any team taking on Connolly unless after he clears waivers, Nonis is prepared to trade him in a salary retention deal. That type of deal makes him palatable to suitors and doesn't hurt Toronto, as they are clearly looking to play their developing players and would have to take a hit of $3.85 million if he plays in the minors. Anything less than that amount is a bonus to the Leafs. It's only for one year.

Nash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:00 PM
cyris
Global Moderator
The one who knocks!

vCash: 797
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt View Post
Yeah, he was sure that Phoenix would have to part with Klesla for Lombardi. I sure hope the last 24 hours have been educational for Mr. Linden.
Doubtful.
His meltdown after Burke traded Beauchemin for Lupul and Gardiner an how wrong he turned out about that didn't teach him anything.

cyris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:05 PM
Ho Borvat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
I can't think of any team that would want him at the cap hit he has. Vancouver and Chicago are near the cap. Detroit has been mentioned as a possibility because they have almost $9 million in cap space, but who wants to pay a third line centre $4.75 million, even if it is for one season. All three teams would be better off going with what they have and making trades later in the year.

I really don't see any team taking on Connolly unless after he clears waivers, Nonis is prepared to trade him in a salary retention deal. That type of deal makes him palatable to suitors and doesn't hurt Toronto, as they are clearly looking to play their developing players and would have to take a hit of $3.85 million if he plays in the minors. Anything less than that amount is a bonus to the Leafs. It's only for one year.
Van also has a lot of LTIR they can use right now. If Connolly isn't performing, waive him when Kesler/Booth return and hope someone picks him up.

He can't be worse than Schroeder/Ebbett in the top-6

Ho Borvat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:13 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post
Van also has a lot of LTIR they can use right now. If Connolly isn't performing, waive him when Kesler/Booth return and hope someone picks him up.

He could be marginally better than those two. I'm not going to disagree with you. However, once those players come off of LTIR, we end up probably $3 million over the cap. You really can't hope that another team grabs him on waivers. If we were to claim him on waivers right now, it would mean that pretty much every other team has passed him over already since we have to be one of the last teams on the waiver wire order from being the top regular season team last year. The only way Gillis should even consider taking him on is with a salary retention deal once he clears waivers. Not only does that protect us once the other two guys clear LTIR, but if/when we decided to waive him at that point, other teams will have interest in what he offers at a reduced rate.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:17 PM
Nuckles
༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ ( ͡ ᴥ͡)

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
wouldn't be suprised to see him get claimed Vancouver needs a center, hawks as well maybe the isles. There are some spots that could use him for sure
Canucks cant afford him.
They can only get him in a trade if Toronto keeps half of his cap hit.

Richer's Ghost made my avatar
Nuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:22 PM
smitty10

Please get picked up or traded...

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:33 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by kack zassian View Post

yes he can I have seen it

Old
01-17-2013, 04:34 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuckles37 View Post
Canucks cant afford him.
They can only get him in a trade if Toronto keeps half of his cap hit.
even that is fine

Old
01-17-2013, 04:41 PM
Nash

Quote:
yes he can I have seen it
Thanks for the honesty.

I've never been a fan of Connolly. He was a high pick in the worst draft ever. I thought he was soft before he was injured, but he still put up points most of the time when he stayed healthy. The problem is who know how healthy he can stay. Add in that I have seen several TML posters say that he is a minus producing machine. Lombardi is the only player with a worse stat than him.

There are very good reasons why a 26th place team from last year jetisonned these two players.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:54 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Thanks for the honesty.

I've never been a fan of Connolly. He was a high pick in the worst draft ever. I thought he was soft before he was injured, but he still put up points most of the time when he stayed healthy. The problem is who know how healthy he can stay. Add in that I have seen several TML posters say that he is a minus producing machine. Lombardi is the only player with a worse stat than him.

There are very good reasons why a 26th place team from last year jetisonned these two players.
yep to open up spots for frattin and likely Kadri although still don't see a spot in the top 6 for him and if he's going to be effective that is where he needs to be.

looks like we might get a top 5 pick for the 2nd stright year and thats a good thing

Old
01-17-2013, 05:04 PM
seanlinden

I guess this signifies where the Leafs are going under Nonis... and that's youth. At least the Leafs will finally get to see what they have in Nazem Kadri.

That being said, this move is is a bad call for the Leafs. Connolly is a useful player and based on the way Colborne is stinking it up with the Marlies, would be very important if we lose Grabovski/Bozak to injury. Even when healthy, he's a player that fits very nicely as a setup guy on the 3rd line. You're now in a position where you need to do one of a few things...

1. Make Grabovski your checking line centre.
2. Waste two of of Kadri/JvR/MacARthur/Kulemin/Frattin's talents on a 3rd line centered by Jay McClement.

Personally, I'm leaning towards the former. Put Frattin on a line with Kulemin & Grabovski, and put them head-to-head against the other team's best. Grabo sucks on the draw, but he's as hard a worker and two-way player as they come. Then run with Kadri between JvR and MacArthur... give him the real opportunity to prove that he can make other guys score, while facilitating space for him with JvR on the wing. Maybe you're forced to put MacArthur on the checking line instead of Frattin to keep guys on their natural sides.

Even if you're going to go in a younger direction, the play should've been to retain salary and trade him... get something out of the deal, we're not going to use the cap space anyways.

Last edited by seanlinden: 01-17-2013 at 05:12 PM.
seanlinden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:04 PM
Nash

Quote:
yep to open up spots for frattin and likely Kadri although still don't see a spot in the top 6 for him and if he's going to be effective that is where he needs to be.

looks like we might get a top 5 pick for the 2nd stright year and thats a good thing
I really don't see Toronto finishing that low again. Last year, the team was doing well until they had a huge collapse. They were playoff bound. Subtracting Lombardi, Connolly and Armstrong from the line up and adding JVR, Kadri and Frattin isn't a big trade off. I actually think that makes them potentially better. Gardiner and Gunnarsson both have had one more year of seasoning. The coach gets to try to implement his system from the start of the year as well. Center is still an issue and goaltending is a big question mark, but the team is probably in a better situation to succeed now than last year. Don't forget that a mere 6 wins separated the Leafs from 5th last to the last playoff berth in the East. You might be hoping for a top 5 pick, but you very well could have done enough to get you back to the purgatory of being just good enough or not just good enough to be in the playoffs and picking in the middle of the first round.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:06 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I don't see the high reward. It was tough to imagine how he could ever play to the level he was paid. The best you can say is that it was a short term risk.
Hes been on pace for 65+ points 4 times in his career, once on pace for 80, twice for 70. Its not to hard to imagine that he is capable of it if all goes right and in that you get a reward.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:08 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

vCash: 657
Quote:
I really don't see Toronto finishing that low again. Last year, the team was doing well until they had a huge collapse. They were playoff bound. Subtracting Lombardi, Connolly and Armstrong from the line up and adding JVR, Kadri and Frattin isn't a big trade off. I actually think that makes them potentially better. Gardiner and Gunnarsson both have had one more year of seasoning. The coach gets to try to implement his system from the start of the year as well. Center is still an issue and goaltending is a big question mark, but the team is probably in a better situation to succeed now than last year. Don't forget that a mere 6 wins separated the Leafs from 5th last to the last playoff berth in the East. You might be hoping for a top 5 pick, but you very well could have done enough to get you back to the purgatory of being just good enough or not just good enough to be in the playoffs and picking in the middle of the first round.
Gardiner may be out for 1/4 of the season and Schenn is gone too. Our D is terrible past Phaneuf and Gunnarsson.

The Podium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

He has potential to get back to form, but won't be given the chance in TO.
He's not better than Grabo or Bozak, and maybe not Kadri either.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:09 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:

Look at our goaltending unless that gets better this team is bottom 5

Old
01-17-2013, 05:12 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Don't forget... the Leafs lost Luke Schenn in getting JvR. Right now, Mike Komisarek is looking at a top 4 role.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:14 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

vCash: 1684
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Don't forget... the Leafs lost Luke Schenn in getting JvR. Right now, Mike Komisarek is looking at a top 4 role.
Phaneuf
Gunnarsson
Gardiner
Liles

No he isn't.

Hennig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:14 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
I guess this signifies where the Leafs are going under Nonis... and that's youth. At least the Leafs will finally get to see what they have in Nazem Kadri.

That being said, this move is is a bad call for the Leafs. Connolly is a useful player and based on the way Colborne is stinking it up with the Marlies, would be very important if we lose Grabovski/Bozak to injury. Even when healthy, he's a player that fits very nicely as a setup guy on the 3rd line. You're now in a position where you need to do one of a few things...

1. Make Grabovski your checking line centre.
2. Waste two of of Kadri/JvR/MacARthur/Kulemin/Frattin's talents on a 3rd line centered by Jay McClement.

Even if you're going to go in a younger direction, the play should've been to retain salary and trade him... get something out of the deal, we're not going to use the cap space anyways.
kadri still doesn't have a spot IMO connolly and lombardi spent a lot of time in the bottom 6 moving them opens spots for frattin and karmanov unless a top 6 guy goes no spot for kadri

Old
01-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Bleach Clean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne Endeavor View Post
Oh, no. And here SeanLinden kept assuring us Connolly had value and we should trade Tanev, Luongo or whomever else for him. What a shame.

Now that he is at a reasonable price (read: nothing) he might be worth acquiring as a reclamation project, at least until Kesler is back.

Wait, so we don't have to give up Tanev for this legit top6 2nd line C? Surprising. What's more, Nonis might have to eventually eat some cap to move him. A revelation indeed.

Even if Nonis eats cap I doubt the Canucks trade for him. Too soft and injury prone. Leafs forwards corpse looking better now...

Bleach Clean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:15 PM
Hero
Raptors 13/14

Quote:
Imo, with Kadri/Frattin/JVR we have some wild cards, but...

Goal tending got worse by losing Gustavsson. Scrivens for now is a downgrade.

Lost Schenn and Gards is injured, so blue line is pretty thin right now.

Gunnar - Phaneuf
Liles - Komisarek
Franson - Holzer

Not great.

We might drop into top 5, but who knows. Another top 5 pick wouldn't be a bad thing.

Hero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:16 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
Quote:
kadri still doesn't have a spot IMO connolly and lombardi spent a lot of time in the bottom 6 moving them opens spots for frattin and karmanov unless a top 6 guy goes no spot for kadri
It's practically a guarantee that Kadri will be in the lineup somewhere. He has been one of the stronger Leafs in camp and with the Marlies. He has out-performed many vets, and both Carlyle and Nonis have noticed that.

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:18 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Phaneuf
Gunnarsson
Gardiner
Liles

No he isn't.
Well for starters, Gardiner is hurt.

Second, do you realistically see Gardiner & Liles playing together on anything but the powerplay?

Quote:
Nope, Kadri will have a spot. The Leafs still have a ton of firepower in the lineup (in fact, they really didn't lose any), and Kadri's now one of the few playmakers to get them the puck.