HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN: Nonis interview with Lebrun

Old
01-17-2013, 05:03 PM
Parkdale

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post

Sucks that it was Nonis that stuck you guys with that contract though.
Nonis brought Lu to Vancouver, but Gillis is the author of Lu's current toxic contract.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:07 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
We're on the right path, as everyone knows we need a goalie, I'm sure if the price was lower from Gillis Luongo would be here.
It's not absurd to think this team could make the playoffs. Just look at Ottawa and Florida last year. A proper defensive system and decent goaltending out of Reimer/Scrivens can do wonders for this team. Although we do need a #1C for the long term, we have more than enough offensive depth to be competitive this season.

Having said that, if defense/goaltending doesn't go ideally, drafting a franchise player in this year's stacked draft isn't the worst thing. Then we have a great UFA crop in July to try to use our cap space on.

This franchise is currently in the healthiest state its been since 2004.

Lebanese Leaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:19 PM
Stats01

It's amazing how much hate Nonis gets in Vancouver, what has Gillis done exactly? He's taken a team that Nonis and co. built and just reaped the benefits from. Who drafted Kesler, the Sedins, Borrows, trading for Luongo..etc etc. It was Burke and then Nonis.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:20 PM
Stephen

"Yes," said Nonis. "At some point they have to be given an opportunity to sink or swim if they've earned that opportunity. Our farm team has performed to a high level for close to two years now. A lot of those players are young players. If they play better than some of the veterans, even for a short time, they have to be given an opportunity."

Correct.

"I'm not going to give up youth for older players," he added. "We would trade a young player for a young player. We might trade from strength. But we're not going to trade a bunch of young players or first-round picks for short-term gain. You can't build a club that way. There's a point in time where you're good enough and deep enough where you can look at doing some of those things -- we're not there. And if we start to do that, we're going to end up being severely hampered in the development process of our club."

Also correct.

Stephen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
"Yes," said Nonis. "At some point they have to be given an opportunity to sink or swim if they've earned that opportunity. Our farm team has performed to a high level for close to two years now. A lot of those players are young players. If they play better than some of the veterans, even for a short time, they have to be given an opportunity."

Correct.

"I'm not going to give up youth for older players," he added. "We would trade a young player for a young player. We might trade from strength. But we're not going to trade a bunch of young players or first-round picks for short-term gain. You can't build a club that way. There's a point in time where you're good enough and deep enough where you can look at doing some of those things -- we're not there. And if we start to do that, we're going to end up being severely hampered in the development process of our club."

Also correct.
Meaning, unless Luongo basically comes for free we're out. He's not giving up Kadri or a first, and not even touching Gardiner or Rielly.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:28 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Meaning, unless Luongo basically comes for free we're out. He's not giving up Kadri or a first, and not even touching Gardiner or Rielly.
And that's the way it should always be.

But this is merely adding insult to injury because adding Luongo would drift the Leafs away from a top-five pick in a very talented draft.

Why don't we just wait until next year to add Luongo?

Watch Vancouver wiggle and worm to try to get him moved as Schneider continues to outplay Luongo for the net.

Their demands won't be nearly as outrageous.

Bomber0104 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:30 PM
Crispy Crust

vCash: 570
About time we have a GM that "gets it".

Crispy Crust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:30 PM
daveleaf

About time we hear the right things from the top! Look forward to seeing this through. What a breath of fresh air not having to listen to the previous bafoon.

daveleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:33 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
About time we have a GM that "gets it".
Yeah for sure. The thing I like the most from that article is that ownership and Nonis are on the same path when it comes to this. All we hear about is (lately from Canuck fans) is that ownership is desperate to make the playoffs when it is the complete opposite. They are dedicated to the cause like Nonis is and they are want a new strategy for this team. I think Rogers is taking the Blue Jays blue print of drafting and developing and putting towards the Leafs as well, let's remember that Rogers and co have dealt with the great Alex Anthopolous Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I wouldn't be surprised if they learned a thing or two about having a great farm system.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:35 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

vCash: 50
Quote:
It's amazing how much hate Nonis gets in Vancouver, what has Gillis done exactly? He's taken a team that Nonis and co. built and just reaped the benefits from. Who drafted Kesler, the Sedins, Borrows, trading for Luongo..etc etc. It was Burke and then Nonis.
Signed those guy to ridiculous contracts. That has mostly been what gillis has done best.

Sedins, kesler, burrows, hamhuis, bieksa, edler just a few guys who are badly underpaid.

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
BrannigansLaw

That article was almost Shakespearean in its beauty. Everything Nonis said was music to my ears.

BrannigansLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:38 PM
Syn3rgetic
Boats the Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
And that's the way it should always be.

But this is merely adding insult to injury because adding Luongo would drift the Leafs away from a top-five pick in a very talented draft.

Why don't we just wait until next year to add Luongo?

Watch Vancouver wiggle and worm to try to get him moved as Schneider continues to outplay Luongo for the net.

Their demands won't be nearly as outrageous.

This is the best way of going about this season. This shortened season should act as a measuring stick for not only the team, but the entire front office and coaching staff. We have a new GM, new coach, lots of young guys coming up. This is a good season to see what we're working with. We can proceed from there, in the off season.

For example if our Tendy Tandem proves to be amazing/terrible, we can/wont trade for a Luongo. If our young guns can/can't become 1C (I really doubt it lol) we can/won't sign Getzlaf.

This year is a shortened season. Perfect season to see where we're at.

Syn3rgetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:41 PM
onebighockeyfan

Nonis is Bell/Rogers puppet. Getting rid of players to save $ to make more $ for the owners. The owners know very well they don't have a playoff team so Nonis is doing their bidding.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:42 PM
Syn3rgetic
Boats the Burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
Nonis is Bell/Rogers puppet. Getting rid of players to save $ to make more $ for the owners. The owners know very well they don't have a playoff team so Nonis is doing their bidding.
Take off the tinfoil hat dude.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Fenton

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
I agree, But the way people are talking about "this year" is that they are in this great position.

The reality is that the leafs are in a awful position right now.

Are they in a good position in the future?, absolutely.
Can you post sources? All the media outlets I listen to are talking about how not-much-at-all is expected from the Leafs this season. I would love to hear some positive comments for once.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Fenton

Quote:
Thx for the lol.
As said above, remove the foil cap dude.

Fenton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:46 PM
Stats01

Quote:
*Yawn* next time come up with something original.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:48 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
I hope you guys are right, But lets not kid ourselves, Burke set the foundation, did you see the team he had and what he nonis has now?.
Nonis helped build that foundation though, he was here for as long as Burke was.

I enjoyed reading this though. I flipped out when Burke was fired because it was so confusing with the timing and everything, and it seemed like ownership was trying to do their meddling. It may still be like that, but by all accounts Nonis seems easier to work with so maybe that's just it. After having calmed down, I can see that Nonis is a smart guy and might just be what this franchise needs, a GM who isn't trigger-happy on trading away future assets for short term gains.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lebanese Leaf View Post
It's not absurd to think this team could make the playoffs. Just look at Ottawa and Florida last year. A proper defensive system and decent goaltending out of Reimer/Scrivens can do wonders for this team. Although we do need a #1C for the long term, we have more than enough offensive depth to be competitive this season.

Having said that, if defense/goaltending doesn't go ideally, drafting a franchise player in this year's stacked draft isn't the worst thing. Then we have a great UFA crop in July to try to use our cap space on.

This franchise is currently in the healthiest state its been since 2004.
Hey I'm all gun ho for the playoffs, I hope they do make it of course, and they could for sure. Reimer has to get back to the way he played before his injury and Carlyle's system along with with everyone working their ***** off every night, we have a shot at the 8th spot.

I've been saying that all along, if we make the playoffs great, if we stink up the joint and grab another top 3-5 pick.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:50 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
*Yawn* next time come up with something original.
whatever. nonis will not replace Lombardi or Connelly. Sure they were not amazing but we are replacing them with unproven AHLes. just saving $ and tanking. I just don't see the plan. I guess you do.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:52 PM
Stats01

oops I forgot to add " then great" lol

Old
01-17-2013, 05:53 PM
Syn3rgetic
Boats the Burn

Quote:
whatever. nonis will not replace Lombardi or Connelly. Sure they were not amazing but we are replacing them with unproven AHLes. just saving $ and tanking. I just don't see the plan. I guess you do.
You just stated the plan. Tank.

Old
Lansdown

realization: Nonis and LeBrun are the same damn guy. Nonis is LeBrun without that ****** facial hair.

Lansdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Stats01

Quote:

No everyone sees the plan besides you.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Joey24

Send a message via ICQ to Joey24
Quote:
I don't get how this is a good thing, you do know you have reimer and scrivens in net this season right?.

Sure you don't wanna pay, but that does not mean u guys are in any better situation.

I don't get the clapping, It's like you are saying "YES! we got the worst goaltending tandem in the nhl!".

If the leafs don't go after luongo, they better as hell go after somebody else, because they have little chance making any playoffs with the current goalies.

I am trying hard to understand some people on here, As a fan of both the canucks (mostly) and the leafs (love the young talent), It really does make my mind boggle when I notice how happy people are with the goaltending situation they have.

flame away
Um I don't think you took anything away from that article did you? He's not going to make short term fixes, he's looking to the future past this season and if the right moves come up he will make them. I agree we got a decent prospect base now, the best we have had since I can remember. There is no point in depleting that to plug 1 hole when you still got several other large holes to fill.

Brian Burke set this team up for the future, and we have some good building blocks in place, a solid young defensive core with one of the top defensive prospects in the world in our system. The new CBA will give Nonis more opportunity to make moves Burke couldn't make before. And this summer will have quite a bit of flexibility to really mold this team in his own image because of Burke's cap management leading up to the CBA.

I think Nonis will do a good job here, and if he is able to land 1-2 key free agents this summer he will look like a genius, but when all is said and done, no one should forget the positive things Brian Burke did for this team the most notable could be the situation he left the leafs in for this coming summer.

Joey24 is offline   Reply With Quote