HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Maple Leafs waive Tim Connolly

Old
01-17-2013, 06:23 PM
Vitto79

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mansfield View Post
I imagine he'll be claimed, personally. has a lot of potential, and a fairly small deal with no long term commitment.
I think TO is talking to teams and if he clears he likely has a deal in place, eat half the salary since its better than having all of it on the cap. Get a minor league body the other team could care less about

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanlinden View Post
Well for starters, Gardiner is hurt.

Second, do you realistically see Gardiner & Liles playing together on anything but the powerplay?
From what I've heard Gardiner will be back soon, may miss a few games.

Doesn't matter, barring some miraculous christmas miracle that Komisarek plays a lot better then he has been the past few years, I can't see him getting more then 15-17 minutes a night. While guys like Phaneuf, Gunnar, Liles, and Gardiner will all be getting 20+ minutes a night.

Hennig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:26 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Well for starters, Gardiner is hurt.

Second, do you realistically see Gardiner & Liles playing together on anything but the powerplay?

Nope, Kadri will have a spot. The Leafs still have a ton of firepower in the lineup (in fact, they really didn't lose any), and Kadri's now one of the few playmakers to get them the puck.
perhaps he does get a 3rd line spot but is it the right spot? I have my doubts

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:32 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
From what I've heard Gardiner will be back soon, may miss a few games.

Doesn't matter, barring some miraculous christmas miracle that Komisarek plays a lot better then he has been the past few years, I can't see him getting more then 15-17 minutes a night. While guys like Phaneuf, Gunnar, Liles, and Gardiner will all be getting 20+ minutes a night.
Honestly... somebody's going to have to get minutes, and if we're looking at Gunnarsson-Phaneuf as the top pair, this team is going to have a very tough time gaining posession of the puck in the defensive zone when Komisarek (and the top pair) aren't on the ice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEAFANFORLIFE23 View Post
perhaps he does get a 3rd line spot but is it the right spot? I have my doubts
Probably.

Grabovski's a very good 2-way player as is Kulemin. 2 years ago, they were the unit that went head to head with the other team's top guys. We aren't a team equipped to play a shutdown game with a pure checking line... so the Grabovski unit might be ours. Stick Kadri between JvR and Frattin... give him size and give him scoring ability, and hope that these guys can make up for the defensive role that Grabo's line would have to play.

seanlinden is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:38 PM
craigcaulks*
Registered Luser.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Leafs forwards corpse looking better now...
Freudian slip?

craigcaulks* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:38 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
Honestly... somebody's going to have to get minutes, and if we're looking at Gunnarsson-Phaneuf as the top pair, this team is going to have a very tough time gaining posession of the puck in the defensive zone when Komisarek (and the top pair) aren't on the ice.
Completely agree, one of the reasons why I wouldn't mind giving someone like Mark Fraser a chance. It's nice having offensive defenseman, but when half of your D are filled with them, it creates a problem.

Hopefully one of Fraser or Holzer can step up, I wouldn't bet on it though.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:44 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennig View Post
Completely agree, one of the reasons why I wouldn't mind giving someone like Mark Fraser a chance. It's nice having offensive defenseman, but when half of your D are filled with them, it creates a problem.

Hopefully one of Fraser or Holzer can step up, I wouldn't bet on it though.
Well yeah, one/both of Holzer/Fraser are going to get roster spots as a result of that, and with good reason. It's the same reason that Kostka, despite having a ridiculous year, is in a real uphill battle. Btw, is he still around or did he get cut?

As for betting on it -- probably not a great call. Either of these guys should be fine as a #7, with Komisarek on the bottom pair and somebody better than him in the top 4... but right now we've got guys playing above where they should be.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:46 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:

Probably.

Grabovski's a very good 2-way player as is Kulemin. 2 years ago, they were the unit that went head to head with the other team's top guys. We aren't a team equipped to play a shutdown game with a pure checking line... so the Grabovski unit might be ours. Stick Kadri between JvR and Frattin... give him size and give him scoring ability, and hope that these guys can make up for the defensive role that Grabo's line would have to play.
I think it's more likely JVR plays with grabo and Mac and kadri plays with kuliemin frattin

LUPUL-BOZAK-KESSEK

Mac -GRABVOSKI-JVR

KULIEMIN-KADRI-FRATTIN

KARMANOV-MACCLEMENT-BROWN

that is the lineup with steckel as 13th guy

Old
01-17-2013, 06:48 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigcaulks View Post
Freudian slip?
Good one.

To be honest i thought Connolly would find a role this season with the Leafs. He seemed like a sound candidate to make the transition towards defensive play a little smoother.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:49 PM
seanlinden

Quote:
I think it's more likely JVR plays with grabo and Mac and kadri plays with kuliemin frattin

LUPUL-BOZAK-KESSEK

Mac -GRABVOSKI-JVR

KULIEMIN-KADRI-FRATTIN

Doesn't make a ton of sense to do that. Grabo-Kulemin have proven chemistry and are our best defensive players. You've gotta have 1 line that you're goign to put out there against the other team's best.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:55 PM
Hennig
It was 4-1.

Quote:
Well yeah, one/both of Holzer/Fraser are going to get roster spots as a result of that, and with good reason. It's the same reason that Kostka, despite having a ridiculous year, is in a real uphill battle. Btw, is he still around or did he get cut?

As for betting on it -- probably not a great call. Either of these guys should be fine as a #7, with Komisarek on the bottom pair and somebody better than him in the top 4... but right now we've got guys playing above where they should be.
Pretty sure Kostka is still around. I think I read on twatter that he was on the top line with Phaneuf in the scrimmages today. Although I can't see him making the leafs with having guys like Liles/Gardiner/Phaneuf/Franson on the powerplay and then Riellys 5 game stint which I'm assuming he will get.

Should of clarified myself better, I'm not betting on that they will "make it", but betting on that they won't be key shutdown guys for us which we are desperately lacking. As happy as I am that we acquired JVR, we could really use a guy that has a similar game to Luke Schenn right now.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:56 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Florida?
Calgary?
Columbus?
Dallas (although I don't know enough about their team to be as certain as I am with other teams)?
Minny?

They're nowhere close to having the weakest group of centers in the league. Yes they're in the bottom 1/3rd, but no, they're not the worst.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doobz89 View Post
They're not as week as Columbus, but certainly are weaker than every other team in the League.
Please. Columbus laughs at your so-called center depth.

We technically have no #1C, true - at least, not until Johansen is ready (or Brassard surprises folks). But for general top 6 duties in the meantime, Brassard and Johansen will still do, and we also have Anisimov, plus Dubinsky or Umberger in a pinch. For bottom-6, we have Lestestu and MacKenzie (both of whom performed very well defensively; Letestu basically made Vermette redundant in that regard), and Jenner can be called up any time we like. And I suppose if we were desperate, Prospal could go back to center as well.

We may not have current top-end skill (that's still developing), but we have tons of depth.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!

Last edited by Viqsi: 01-17-2013 at 07:05 PM.
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:57 PM
hlaverty06

Since I don't know the Leafs well, Leafs fans, why is Grabo not on the 1st line?

Is it a case of all your eggs in one basket or is there something else?

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:58 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:

LUPUL-BOZAK-KESSEK

Mac -GRABVOSKI-JVR

KULIEMIN-KADRI-FRATTIN

Kuelmin is now a RW while JVR is a LW, theyd likely switch

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Nash

Sure the D isn't the greatest, but you have to think with a defensive minded coach who actually applies systems, including an actual powerplay, your overall team defense will be much better this year, even while Gardiner recovers. I understand he is skating already and not too far off, but you never know with concussions. When the margin between the playoffs from a fifth place spot last year was a mere 6 games, it's not hard to see Toronto out of that top 5 draft position.

Purging the players you have is simply opening up roster spaces for new faces, not worse ones. I know Leafs fans salivate at the top 5 this year, but with Nonis and Carlyle you might not finish as low as you think.

Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
seanlinden

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
Since I don't know the Leafs well, Leafs fans, why is Grabo not on the 1st line?

He & Kessel are a horrible fit together. They both need the puck on their stick to be successful.

It's really not a problem though. Guys like Kulemin, MacArthur, wouldn't produce at all if they didn't have a creative catalyst like Grabovski.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:59 PM
The Podium
Formerly chrisx101

Quote:

All of Lupul, Grabovski and Kessel are shoot first players. They didnt work in the many times it was tried.

The Podium is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:00 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Podium View Post
All of Lupul, Grabovski and Kessel are shoot first players. They didnt work in the many times it was tried.
Quote:
He & Kessel are a horrible fit together. They both need the puck on their stick to be successful.
Thank you guys!

hlaverty06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:02 PM
WTFMAN99

Quote:

Grabovski and Kessel don't seem to work together.

WTFMAN99 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:02 PM
leaflover
New hope

vCash: 1150
Quote:

Mainly due to the Grabovski-Kulemin-MacArthur line having great success two years ago and hoping that continued combined with the Bozak line working just fine as is.

leaflover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:08 PM
RealisticLeaf55
Hurt a Smurf

Lupul - Bozak - Kessel
Kulemin - Grabo - MacA
JVR - Mcclement - Kadri
Komarov - Steckel - Frattin/Brown

If we got rid of MacA and Steckel there would be more room to solidify a younger roster and stop winning for Mackinnon.

RealisticLeaf55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:10 PM
KlattNazty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viqsi View Post
Please. Columbus laughs at your so-called center depth.

We technically have no #1C, true - at least, not until Johansen is ready (or Brassard surprises folks). But for general top 6 duties in the meantime, Brassard and Johansen will still do, and we also have Anisimov, plus Dubinsky or Umberger in a pinch. For bottom-6, we have Lestestu and MacKenzie (both of whom performed very well defensively; Letestu basically made Vermette redundant in that regard), and Jenner can be called up any time we like. And I suppose if we were desperate, Prospal could go back to center as well.

We may not have current top-end skill (that's still developing), but we have tons of depth.
i agree, i like your centre depth better than ours thats for sure. i actually hope that umberger might become available, id be interested.

KlattNazty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:11 PM
Nash

Quote:
Originally Posted by leaflover View Post
Mainly due to the Grabovski-Kulemin-MacArthur line having great success two years ago and hoping that continued combined with the Bozak line working just fine as is.
Not quite comparable, but Bozak is a light version of Morisson between Naslund and Bertuzzi. He just seems to compliment them okay, even if no other team would ever consider playing him in a first line role. I still find it shocking he keeps getting mentioned in rumours. His value to other teams just isn't that high. It's like if the Canucks traded Burrows. We have a much higher value on him as he meshes both with the Sedins and Kesler.

Nash is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:22 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:

he and kessel do not mesh it's been tried while wilson was coach

Old
01-17-2013, 07:30 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash View Post
Sure the D isn't the greatest, but you have to think with a defensive minded coach who actually applies systems, including an actual powerplay, your overall team defense will be much better this year, even while Gardiner recovers. I understand he is skating already and not too far off, but you never know with concussions. When the margin between the playoffs from a fifth place spot last year was a mere 6 games, it's not hard to see Toronto out of that top 5 draft position.

Purging the players you have is simply opening up roster spaces for new faces, not worse ones. I know Leafs fans salivate at the top 5 this year, but with Nonis and Carlyle you might not finish as low as you think.
last year we had a top 10 PP and top 10 offense that team should have been a playoff team but the goaltending was AWFUL guess what hasn't changed? goaltending. I have no doubt we can score but it won't matter unless goaltending SIGNIFICANTLY improves