HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

2013 New Jersey Devils (Team News, Player Discussion - Part II)

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 06:00 PM
GratefulDevil
A long, strange trip

vCash: 500
I think Clarky's good for 12-15 in a short season.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ Richey View Post
I'm still convinced Lou has no intention of going into the season with 8 defensemen and would be surprised if someone isn't moved by Saturday.
I'm expecting the other shoe to drop too, but who knows with Lou. He might decide to go into the season with a surplus, and wait for other teams to panic about their defence, and only then unload one for better value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevilChuk View Post
Elias and Clarkson will 100% re-sign. Not so sure Lou will want to re-sign Zubrus though but I'd love him back for another 2 years on the cheap.
Agreed. I want Zubrus back to mentor Matteau for the next few years. Put them on a line with Clarkson and every team in the league will **** their hockey pants at the sight of them coming over the boards.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I think maybe Larsson sits for a few games to showcase somebody else.
I highly doubt it. Larsson deserves his spot, he has looked great in the AHL. They might rotate him in and out, but he won't be playing right press box on a regular basis.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:03 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callagraves View Post
Do you mean 15 in a 48 game season, or 15 projected over 82 games?
15 over 48 games. I gave him .3 G a game average compared to last year .38. I think he will get a lot of PP time and he have a 10-11 S%.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:03 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
20-25

Why wouldn`t he?
Only thing I would think would be if he loses his spot on the top PP with Zajac back. However it was probably Oates who wanted a righty in the slot so who knows what'll happen now.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:04 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
20-25

Why wouldn`t he?
I wasn't sure how completely he came back after the Achilles tear, and admittedly, I don't remember how he looked in the playoff series. Injury like that can take a step or two off a guy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Zajac come back with a vengeance.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:05 PM
hlaverty06

I salivate over a Zubrus-Matteau-Clarkson line

Old
01-17-2013, 06:05 PM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Only thing I would think would be if he loses his spot on the top PP with Zajac back. However it was probably Oates who wanted a righty in the slot so who knows what'll happen now.
I am guessing the 1st pp is Kovy, Zidlicky, Zajac, Elias and Clarkson in front of the net.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:06 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eggers View Post
Tedenby was being demoted to the fourth line in games as early as November. Palmieri got moved down when Henrique started to stick (after Josefson was injured) and Tedenby was a goner after that. He got a few opportunities as the season went on, but nothing like the first month and a half.
I know he was back, and forth at one time then he started playing pretty good right around when he scored that goal. I think that was early December. He was even playing pretty good defensively for a stretch, and then he was back to in and out of the 4th line. Sometimes even benched later in games. I know you like him, but sorry I just don't.

I know a lot of us do agree that he needs to be scoring. If he's not scoring consistently, or at least putting up some points through assist, then I don't know what purpose he serves.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:07 PM
hlaverty06

Quote:
I wasn't sure how completely he came back after the Achilles tear, and admittedly, I don't remember how he looked in the playoff series. Injury like that can take a step or two off a guy, but I wouldn't be surprised to see Zajac come back with a vengeance.
He has an insane shot he needs to use more of, not showing this video cause your a rangers fan but it really show cases what he can do.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
tycobb

Quote:
I know he was back, and forth at one time then he started playing pretty good right around when he scored that goal. He was even playing pretty good defensively for a stretch, and then he was back to in and out of the 4th line. Sometimes even benched later in games. I know you like him, but sorry I just don't.

I know a lot of us do agree that he needs to be scoring. If he's not scoring consistently, or at least putting up some points through assist, then I don't know what purpose he serves.
The guy has the talent to play in the NHL. He is fast, has great puck control, and great vision in the offensive zone. The negative and it is big is his defensive zone play positioning and decisions are terrible.

You need to give him time. The guy had 3 NHL coaches in those 101 games. And those 3 coaches all had different systems.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:10 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

I liked this shot the most. The play with Parise was a great play against the Rangers, but he needs to take this shot for often.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:11 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
The guy has the talent to play in the NHL. He is fast, has great puck control, and great vision in the offensive zone. The negative and it is big is his defensive zone play positioning and decisions are terrible.

You need to give him time. The guy had 3 NHL coaches in those 101 games. And those 3 coaches all had different systems.
He NEEDS to score. If he goes 10 games without scoring we're supposed to give him a break this year? You still gonna tell me to be patient in the case he does nothing early this season? Not hoping he doesn't just hypothetically.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:12 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
He looked good in the playoffs. He was our Conn Smythe candidate through the first round, solid in the second, and excellent again in the third. In the Final he wasn't as good, but through three rounds I couldn't complain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
I salivate over a Zubrus-Matteau-Clarkson line
Ya, they would be beastly. The right combination of grit and skill to be a force during their shifts.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:15 PM
Callagraves
Block shots

Quote:
Originally Posted by hlaverty06 View Post
He has an insane shot he needs to use more of, not showing this video cause your a rangers fan but it really show cases what he can do.

Jesus, I remember those two.

The first one we were ready to crucify Hank over. He was out of position, but it's normally a save he'd make. Zajac must have seen that, and man, I don't remember his release being that fast.

I always saw him as more of a play maker, but when you've got Kovy or Parise, I imagine you don't always have to take the shot.

And don't lie. You picked those specifically because I'm a Rangers fan.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:16 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Yeah Zajac spent a lot of the Finals centering no show Parise, and a Kovalchuk that for lack of a better term looked like a corpse by that time. Can't really blame him. I'm pretty excited about the deal, and at least it gives us a much less stressful July 1st(Or whenever UFA begins this year) I actually have always felt more confident about Clarkson returning than Zajac, and he's even been more vocal about how much he loves the Devils even more so than Zajac has.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Jesus, I remember those two.

The first one we were ready to crucify Hank over. He was out of position, but it's normally a save he'd make. Zajac must have seen that, and man, I don't remember his release being that fast.

I always saw him as more of a play maker, but when you've got Kovy or Parise, I imagine you don't always have to take the shot.

And don't lie. You picked those specifically because I'm a Rangers fan.
I picked a nice video of one of his goals suitable for Rangers fans, against the Panthers!

Yeah I think Edzo gave Lundqvist a little hard time with that goal. He usually would make that save, but it wasn't an incredibly soft goal that went right through him. His positioning was just off. Edzo was giving it to Marty a bunch throughout the playoffs, and one of the goals was even deflected.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:20 PM
Hockey Sports Fan
:panic:

Send a message via AIM to Hockey Sports Fan
Quote:
I know he was back, and forth at one time then he started playing pretty good right around when he scored that goal. I think that was early December. He was even playing pretty good defensively for a stretch, and then he was back to in and out of the 4th line. Sometimes even benched later in games. I know you like him, but sorry I just don't.

Nah dude, I don't hold it against anyone to dislike Tedenby, and in the end, we all agree. He needs to put up points.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:27 PM
tycobb

Quote:
He NEEDS to score. If he goes 10 games without scoring we're supposed to give him a break this year? You still gonna tell me to be patient in the case he does nothing early this season? Not hoping he doesn't just hypothetically.
So if he goes 10 games and has 0g but 6a you would send him down? I think Tedenby will make the team out of camp simply because he is in game shape when most of the NHL players are not. I hope he scores and becomes a great player the chances of that happening this year are slim though. The kid is still very young.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Bologna 1

i still have a bad feeling that larsson is going to be one of the odd men out on defense. the thought of that even being remotely possible doesnt please me one bit.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:35 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mad Crapper View Post
I have a feeling Matteau is gonna be the team's surprise #3 shooter & stick around beyond his allotted 5 games.
I have a feeling you're right.

Don't know how I feel about that possibility, though.

I know Lou said that he EXPECTS Stefan to spend the year in the minors but considering the shortened season and lack of bodies(or body), if Stefan continues to impress, he might be in the starting lineup from the get-go.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:36 PM
Bleedred
Ruutu means 2 MPH

Quote:
Originally Posted by tycobb View Post
So if he goes 10 games and has 0g but 6a you would send him down? I think Tedenby will make the team out of camp simply because he is in game shape when most of the NHL players are not. I hope he scores and becomes a great player the chances of that happening this year are slim though. The kid is still very young.
6 assists and 0 goals after 10 games no big deal. 3 or 4 assists and 0 goals would be a problem. He needs to start scoring. He doesn't have to lead the team, but in an 82 game season we need about 15 goals out of him. I would give him some leeway if he got less, but racked up 45 points in mostly assists.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:38 PM
GM17*

Matteau was brutal when I saw him live in Halifax, but I wonder how institutionalized he has become due to the ****** officiating

Old
01-17-2013, 06:42 PM
Aethon
12 Axes

I have a feeling that the Devils are going to see a significant boost in production from their defense this season.

With a more mature Larrson, a more acclimated Zidlicky, a healthy Tallinder, a more seasoned Fayne + Greene the Devils defense should be more mobile and dynamic than it has in years.

But I don't think that will be enough to make up the production of Sykora and Parise. I figure the Devils are going to have to find 30 or so new goals this season. They need to add a scoring forward even with improvements from young forwards and the defense there still seems to be a shortfall.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:46 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

^ This is why I'm confused as to why Sykie hasn't been re-signed.

I guess they feel that Butler can provide the offense that Petr did last year.....

Old
01-17-2013, 06:47 PM
CerebralGenesis

Get a top 6 guy first and address any other holes afterward.

I wonder what the deadline will be like this year with the new CBA rules in affect.

Closed Thread