HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

ESPN: Nonis interview with Lebrun

Old
01-17-2013, 05:54 PM
Stats01

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by onebighockeyfan View Post
whatever. nonis will not replace Lombardi or Connelly. Sure they were not amazing but we are replacing them with unproven AHLes. just saving $ and tanking. I just don't see the plan. I guess you do.
You're one of those fans that loves the quick fix, the Connolly's and Lombardi's that make you good but not good enough to either make the playoffs or get a good pick, you love mediocrity don't ya.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:55 PM
Stephen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy Crust View Post
About time we have a GM that "gets it".
It's nice that we have a rational sounding manager in that position and not a cartoon character for a change.

Stephen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:56 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey24 View Post
Um I don't think you took anything away from that article did you? He's not going to make short term fixes, he's looking to the future past this season and if the right moves come up he will make them. I agree we got a decent prospect base now, the best we have had since I can remember. There is no point in depleting that to plug 1 hole when you still got several other large holes to fill.

Brian Burke set this team up for the future, and we have some good building blocks in place, a solid young defensive core with one of the top defensive prospects in the world in our system. The new CBA will give Nonis more opportunity to make moves Burke couldn't make before. And this summer will have quite a bit of flexibility to really mold this team in his own image because of Burke's cap management leading up to the CBA.

I think Nonis will do a good job here, and if he is able to land 1-2 key free agents this summer he will look like a genius, but when all is said and done, no one should forget the positive things Brian Burke did for this team the most notable could be the situation he left the leafs in for this coming summer.
Amen to that, Burke gets ridiculed a lot, which he should I guess for some of the moves he's made but for the most part he got this team out of the abyss and now we are starting to build back up again.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:58 PM
Prime Minister

Im not even worried, its good to have Nonis doing things the right way. Everyone will be on our badwagon soon enough.

Prime Minister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:59 PM
LeafOfBread
van Dreamsdyk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stats01 View Post
Amen to that, Burke gets ridiculed a lot, which he should I guess for some of the moves he's made but for the most part he got this team out of the abyss and now we are starting to build back up again.
If this team sees success with the pieces Burke has brought in he definitely deserves a lot of credit.

LeafOfBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:00 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen View Post
It's nice that we have a rational sounding manager in that position and not a cartoon character for a change.
I think Burke let his ego factor into his hockey decisions, like he couldn't have a losing team because it made him look bad. It seems like Nonis is prepared to let his team lose games, if it makes the Leafs better in the future. Sounds crazy, but I'm excited for it.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:00 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
You're one of those fans that loves the quick fix, the Connolly's and Lombardi's that make you good but not good enough to either make the playoffs or get a good pick, you love mediocrity don't ya.
Perhaps but yet I thought the Kessel trade was really bad. You either rebuild or you don't and it does not make a difference if you finish last or 5th last.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:01 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
No everyone sees the plan besides you.
really, what is the plan. What's Nonis' next move? Educate me....

Old
01-17-2013, 06:02 PM
Confucius

Yeah Baby, Let there be light.

BTW. If Vancouver throws in Frankie Corrado we may take that crappy Luongo contract this summer.

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Giuseppe Sallo
ELE-VAT-ED

"Sorry to the fans for being impatient."

9 years buddy... burkie did not take risks. Words mean NOTHING to me, nonis. Time to put a winner on the ice. Right now, we're just good; add some pieces that will excite, maybe, just maybe I'll put a smile on my face. Fans deserve a playoff team.

Giuseppe Sallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:07 PM
Kessely Snipes
Great White North

The last line sums it up well, no short cuts.

They have to do this the right way.

Kessely Snipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:13 PM
Drew311
Play Me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kessely Snipes View Post
The last line sums it up well, no short cuts.

They have to do this the right way.
MacKinnon and McDavid would be a good start.

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:17 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
MacKinnon and McDavid would be a good start.
Let's call it....a....M(a)cDouble!

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:28 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
It's actually a little funny because most of what people are praising Nonis for here is what Burke did (and in many cases SAID word for word). Weird.
Oh, it'll probably get a lot worse. Just wait.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:32 PM
roosterman

I gotta say I'm loving what Nonis is doing and saying. I wish he was hired years ago instead of burkie. Burkie did a pretty good job but I suspect Nonis would not have traded for Kessel. Kessel is great but it was a deal made way too early in a rebuild. Think of what we'd have without the Kessel trade.

Seguin
Hamilton
Schenn L
Reilly
Kadri
Gardner

And if Burkie didn't sign Martin Gerber at the trade deadline in 2009 (Gerber then got hot and win us a bunch of late season games) we'd likely would have had Duschene, Kane or B Schenn instead of Kadri.

roosterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:35 PM
DougGilmour93

Quote:
Nonis is Bell/Rogers puppet. Getting rid of players to save $ to make more $ for the owners. The owners know very well they don't have a playoff team so Nonis is doing their bidding.
I agree. I don't believe Nonis is the man for the job. It's great you guys are all in love with him. I too believe he is just another puppet for the new owners. Burke was an experiment, one that bit owners in the a$$ due to his demeanor. They gave him all the power and didn't like what happened in the end. Nonis will have to go through a bunch of red tape to get anything approved, hence his making it sufficently clear that he is going to be "patient"

DougGilmour93 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:37 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
The moves send a clear message to the Leafs players: There's opportunity to be had this season.

"At some point they have to be given an opportunity to sink or swim if they've earned that opportunity," Nonis told LeBrun of some of the younger players in camp. "Our farm team has performed to a high level for close to two years now. A lot of those players are young players. If they play better than some of the veterans, even for a short time, they have to be given an opportunity."

Players such as Nazem Kadri, Matt Frattin and Korbinian Holzer have been on the bubble for the past few years, splitting time between the Leafs and the Marlies of the American Hockey League.
Sounds like "Play the Kids" has come to town.

01-17-2013, 06:43 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

Good interview. I am liking the idea of not trading away first round picks, especially for a team like Leafs. I also appreciate that he has started cleaning the mess already.

All that being said, cleaning the mess is what even Burke did, only to later fill it with other crap players. I'd wait to see how he does in what he gives up when trading for top level players, or how cheaply can he sign top level talent (or renew them) before I declare whether I like/dislike him as GM of Leafs.

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:47 PM
saffronleaf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucbourdon View Post
I don't get how this is a good thing, you do know you have reimer and scrivens in net this season right?.

Sure you don't wanna pay, but that does not mean u guys are in any better situation.

I don't get the clapping, It's like you are saying "YES! we got the worst goaltending tandem in the nhl!".

If the leafs don't go after luongo, they better as hell go after somebody else, because they have little chance making any playoffs with the current goalies.

I am trying hard to understand some people on here, As a fan of both the canucks (mostly) and the leafs (love the young talent), It really does make my mind boggle when I notice how happy people are with the goaltending situation they have.

flame away
The answer to your question, or mind-bogglement, is contained in your post.

- "you don't wanna pay"
- "love the young talent"

Luongo is an improvement on Reimer and Scrivens, sure. But if the price involves the lovely young talent we've been developing, then: no thanks. Perhaps the only other part of the answer that you're missing in your post is an evaluation of Luongo himself. Many in Leafs Nation are willing to admit that Luongo is better than Reimer and Scrivens, but most are not convinced that he's the kind of goaltender that can win you a Stanley Cup -- even with a good team around him. Case in point: his time in Vancouver. As much as I hate the Canucks, there's no doubt that Luongo has had one of the best teams in the NHL playing in front of him. If he can't win the Cup with that kind of team in front of him, it's doubtful he can even take a team like the Leafs to the playoffs.

TL;DR -- price is too high. Why? Our young talent is good and Luongo not so much.

saffronleaf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:48 PM
Stats01

Quote:
really, what is the plan. What's Nonis' next move? Educate me....
Obviously I don't know, but to fall in love with mediocre guys like Connolly and Lombardi is your prerogative. To me they're dead weight. The path Nonis is going is youth and keeping our first rounders and development.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:48 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syn3rgetic View Post
You just stated the plan. Tank.
That's what we've been doing for 7 years! We can tank more but only marginally so!

Old
01-17-2013, 06:50 PM
Bomber0104

Quote:
That's what we've been doing for 7 years! We can tank more but only marginally so!
Well we can keep our first round pick this time...for starters.

Something we have a nasty habit of NOT doing when we miss the playoffs.

Bomber0104 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:51 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Well it just stops now cause you think it should? It obviously needs to continue whether you think it's been too long or not.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:52 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Obviously I don't know, but to fall in love with mediocre guys like Connolly and Lombardi is your prerogative. To me they're dead weight. The path Nonis is going is youth and keeping our first rounders and development.
Don't get me wrong. I don't think Lombardi or Connolly are franchise players but replacing them with even more marginal players is not a good idea either. Gettting rid of them to make space under the cap to sign a player that will help the team for 5 years or so makes sense but I think the motivation is just to save money, not make the team better.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:53 PM
onebighockeyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
Well we can keep our first round pick this time...for starters.

Something we have a nasty habit of NOT doing when we miss the playoffs.
Absolutely. We keep the 1st round picks! That's the biggest mistake Burke made. He should have been patient.