HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Edmonton Oilers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

#2: Hemsky - Gagner - Nail

Old
01-17-2013, 07:15 PM
DL44

vCash: 139
#2: Hemsky - Gagner - Nail

Just inquiring...

How's the chemistry developing for this line in camp.

I haven't heard much reported on it outside of individual-based reports.

Hemsky-Gagner finally developing some chemistry with each other? With Nail?

Whats the word...

(mods - please feel free to merge to appropriate thread after a few responses if you wish)

DL44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Psycho Dad
Oil Kings

vCash: 610
All signs point to YES.

They seem to have excellent chemistry, lots of speed, and Yakupov is the sniper that both Sam and Ales have sorely needed. They may be undersized and struggle on some nights, but should really excel against softer competition befitting a second line, and on the second PP unit. 50-60 point range is not out of the question. I think Hemsky's the linchpin though. Sammy hasn't developed too much chemistry with any one Oiler, and doesn't create the lion's share of the offence.

Psycho Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
oakfield

vCash: 500
I was at Rexall on Wednesday, and honestly, they impressed me the most. Fast. Yakupov really pushing the play. Hemsky gave him a couple nice feeds, and in general I thought the line was just buzzing. Lot's of chemistry I thought... I couldn't believe how fast Yak was.

They are, however, pretty small. I feel like they could get knocked around a little bit, because as we all know, Hemsky isn't exactly an expert in staying out of the dangerous areas.

oakfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:07 PM
DrDrai

They appeared to be the most dangerous imo, 1st line wasn't trying too hard though, but i would say that it looks good early

DrDrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:11 PM
WeridAl
YuckaFlux

Who's kidding who, face it this line will get thumped. Lots of skill and speed but no physical size or strength, not much defensive skill here either. If you want to keep Hemsky healthy you would think you would have someone to protected him on his line.

WeridAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:13 PM
Petro Points

The first line has never been good.. The trio of Hall-RNH-Ebs IMO just doesnt work..
I give it 5 games max before Yak moves up on RNH's line.

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Petro Points

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240SX93 View Post
They appeared to be the most dangerous imo, 1st line wasn't trying too hard though, but i would say that it looks good early
Didnt they also give up goals \ turned over pucks?

If anything I would call it Line #3 .. because Smyth-Horc-Paajarvi\Hari will be getting more\tougher ES minutes

Petro Points is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:19 PM
DrDrai

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
Didnt they also give up goals \ turned over pucks?

If anything I would call it Line #3 .. because Smyth-Horc-Paajarvi\Hari will be getting more\tougher ES minutes
They did give up goals, I could see kruger addressing that early, if not they will get broken up if they bleed goals, but it had nothing to do with how physical they played, yakupov was digging hard for pucks and winning, it was their turnovers and doing too much

DrDrai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:52 PM
belair

Besides the potential for some highlight reel plays, this line is a perfect opportunity for Sam Gagner to focus on the defensive part of his game.

His skating is definitely the weakest of the three, so we can only hope that he realizes this and avoids getting caught deep on the rush. If this line clicks immediately, it could really add to his game in particular.

belair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:07 PM
tiger_80

I don't believe they will stay together for too long--will get exposed defensively and physically sooner rather later. Either Hartikainen replaces Hemsky/Yakupov or Gagner gets shifted for RNH or Horcoff.

tiger_80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:28 PM
Arpeggio

The Gagner line should be getting good matchups though, which should help. At home they'll probably be going out against the other team's second and fourth line. On the road team's will probably try to get their first line out against them, so hopefully the Horcoff line can step it up a bit offensively in those situations.

Arpeggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:30 PM
Mr Forever
The Oilers :(

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeridAl View Post
Who's kidding who, face it this line will get thumped. Lots of skill and speed but no physical size or strength, not much defensive skill here either. If you want to keep Hemsky healthy you would think you would have someone to protected him on his line.
I think Harti would be perfect on this line. He adds some grit and goes into the corners.

Harti-Gagner-Hemsky
Smyth-Horcoff-Yakupov

Give Yak some sheltered minutes with some defensively responsible players to start the year. Just a thought.

Mr Forever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Tarus
Fire Mact

Quote:
Hemsky takes a lot of those hits because he hangs onto the puck too long, and gets caught in possession too often instead of integrating with his teammates.

There is no one in the NHL is going to protect him from that.

Tarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:53 PM
AM

Quote:
As long as they keep the puck, that shouldn't be a problem.

AM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:06 PM
Eddy Oiler*

Just how great would the Edmonton Oilers be if Corey Perry replaced Sam Gagner??

Oilers will not be a contender until gagner is gone. Sorry to sound like a broken record but it's a fact. Cannot have a smaller guy after RNH comes off the ice. Just can't.

Eddy Oiler* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:24 PM
Turrican*
Not a homer

I dont know how Perry is on centre..

Turrican* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Great One

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownsrug View Post
Just how great would the Edmonton Oilers be if Corey Perry replaced Sam Gagner??

Oilers will not be a contender until gagner is gone. Sorry to sound like a broken record but it's a fact. Cannot have a smaller guy after RNH comes off the ice. Just can't.
And who will our 2nd line center? Because anyone who knows anything about hockey knows that Perry plays RW.

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:26 PM
Moonlapse Vertigo
Katz n' MacT BFFs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petro Points View Post
The first line has never been good.. The trio of Hall-RNH-Ebs IMO just doesnt work..
I give it 5 games max before Yak moves up on RNH's line.
Agreed. They're dynamic on the powerplay but 5-on-5... not so much.

Moonlapse Vertigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:51 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

I'm as hopeful as the next guy when it comes to thinking this line will find some instant chemistry and perform.

But I don't think we can take much, if anything at all, from a practice scrimmage. The only people trying were the players who are fighting for a spot at 13th/14th forward and AHL players who have something to prove (Hordichuk, VV, Teubert etc.).

The logic is there on paper. Hemsky and Gagner have an elite finisher in Yakupov, and Yakupov can creat space for those two by backing opposition defence like Hall did on that line. The obvious deficiencies are size/strength and overall defensive awareness.

I think the players stick together on the powerplay for sure, but we'll see some jumbling of the top 6 players.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:53 PM
SK13
Mo'Linguish

vCash: 50
Quote:
Replacing a C with a W?

I mean, it's a talent upgrade - no duh - but Perry doesn't play centre ice.

SK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:56 PM
Dorian2
Positional Bias.

I'm looking forward to watching this line. If Hemskey can pick up one of Yaks key habits, that being getting rid of the puck really fast, the potential for this line being really good is....really good.

I think I heard Krueger mention what he expects of Gagner as the center between these two. Hopefully Gags can deliver in his role.

I really think Kreuger is ging to be a key, if not THE key, element to the success of this hockey club.

Man am I ready for hockey to start.

Dorian2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:08 PM
okgooil

Quote:

why?

okgooil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:13 PM
Qrispy

Quote:

A fact you say? Well then, that settles it.

Qrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:15 PM
ToeDrag83
Down, Not Out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dorian2 View Post
I'm looking forward to watching this line. If Hemskey can pick up one of Yaks key habits, that being getting rid of the puck really fast, the potential for this line being really good is....really good.

I think I heard Krueger mention what he expects of Gagner as the center between these two. Hopefully Gags can deliver in his role.

I really think Kreuger is ging to be a key, if not THE key, element to the success of this hockey club.

Man am I ready for hockey to start.
I think that Kreuger will be important to the consistency of this line if they are to stay together. I feel like the players have slowly tuned out the last few coaches after it was clear that they're methods were leading only to last place finishes. Kreuger has to retain the respect of those players by leading them to some actual success.

~30 points from each of the players on this line should not be out of the question. It'd be a hell of a show if they do that playing together for the season.

ToeDrag83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:19 PM
misfit

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakuBOT View Post
A fact you say? Well then, that settles it.
It's science.