HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

In Soviet Russia, Ryan O'Reilly signs you.

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 05:50 PM
Freudian
Classless IMO

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
Exactly. Four years is better for both sides. For O'Reilly, he gets four years and is all but guaranteed a fair amount in arbitration, likely at least the same amount or more for the fifth year. Then he can be a UFA.

For the Avs he's not locked in too long to a possible overpayment, hes all but guaranteed a fair amount if it goes to arbitration. Theres no hold out now or then, and they have that summer and the next season to work out a deal long term.

Meanwhile he proves the kind of player he can be in four years, and they have all that time to possibly replace him with prospects or UFA's, and can wait for the right offer if they want to trade him.

Better for O'Reilly, but the Avs don't have a lot of options thanks to his a hole agent.

4.25x4 it is then?
If he gets four years, he's a UFA. Seven years of service or the age of 27.

Old
01-17-2013, 05:57 PM
Cynthesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmitri View Post
Why? Just because Duchene signed for a certain amount doesn't mean ROR has any obligation to.

This isn't how it went:

RoR's Agent: Ou, bad news bud. Duch signed for 2 years @ 3.5.
RoR: ****! So that means?..
RoR's Agent: You got it. $3.5M for you max.

More like:

RoR's Agent: Hum, let us see how much Kane, Eberle, Krici, Zajac, etc. made/make
RoR: What about Duchene? He was drafted higher than me. He haz de potential! I dontssss!!
RoR Agent: So? Filatov is drafted higher than Stephan but you don't see anyone lineing up for his services. Besides a player that breakes out earlier doesn't mean you can't break out. See: Thornton, Vinnie, Iggy, and other players.

RoR and Duchene are independent of each other.
No. Duchene's contract doesn't affect ROR and his agent's negotiations, it affects Avs management and how much they are willing to offer ROR. So yes it does have an impact on the negotiations. Are you aware that ROR was given an offer of 2 years 7M at one point? That seems awfully similar to someone else's contract...

Old
01-17-2013, 06:20 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Dunno if anyone has posted this:

Quote:
Jamie Benn's agent Rich Evans says his client has no interest in a six-year deal and would prefer 3 to 5 years for term. Still working on it
From McKenzie. Sounds like a match made in heaven. Benn wants shorter term, Stars want longer. O'Reilly wants more term, Avs want shorter.

Am I missing something?

Old
01-17-2013, 06:21 PM
klozge
Avs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouse21 View Post
can we please just trade him already?
That wouldn't be very smart. Unsigned he is relatively worthless. And even signed his value would be so much lower now than it will be in a couple of years. Not to speak about how much more value he would have for the team on the ice. Unsigned a trade would bring noone in who would improve the team this season, so Sherman better takes the time he needs to get him signed. And then you don't trade him but play him and push for the playoffs.
Remember, O'Reilly doesn't need to like Sherman. A lot of players don't like their team managers but still enjoy to play for their teams.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:21 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post

From McKenzie. Sounds like a match made in heaven. Benn wants shorter term, Stars want longer. O'Reilly wants more term, Avs want shorter.

Am I missing something?
So we're trading for Jamie Benn then?

Old
01-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
So we're trading for Jamie Benn then?
Sounds like it. I guess I would be okay with that.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:25 PM
Freudian
Classless IMO

Quote:

Am I missing something?
You're missing that Benn is a better fit on Stars and O'Reilly is a better fit on Avs. Offensive/defensive balance and such trivial details.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:31 PM
Foppa2118
Release Evertroll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
If he gets four years, he's a UFA. Seven years of service or the age of 27.
True, I forgot. I'm blaming it on sleep depravation. Still, I say sign it. Go for 4x4, then cave to 4.25x4 if he's a d**k, and re-evaluate your options as you go.

His agent will have gotten the most out of the Avalanche. It just came at the expense of his reputation with fans, and possibly other GM's. Ryan's to blame for not caring enough about this IMO.

BTW, can we say d**k? It didn't censor it.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:41 PM
Frenchy
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

Am I missing something?
usually a team will prefer that a player sign a "bridge" contract, right after the entry-level contract . something like 2-3 years lenght, a way for a player to prove himself to the team and vice versa , that he can cash the huge dough 3 years later . IDK why Radar dont accept something like that.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:52 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
usually a team will prefer that a player sign a "bridge" contract, right after the entry-level contract . something like 2-3 years lenght, a way for a player to prove himself to the team and vice versa , that he can cash the huge dough 3 years later . IDK why Radar dont accept something like that.
I speculate that it's at least related to the nature of the new CBA. Yes, I realize these negotiations predate that CBA, but I think you'll be seeing a lot more of these situations because now there's a smaller window of opportunity to cash in. I compare it to the NFL, where as a result of non-guaranteed contracts you see rookies negotiating deals even before they're drafted, and sometimes holding out for ridiculous $$$ after they're picked.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:53 PM
Ceremony
Shame ain't worth

vCash: 48348
I'll go for that Benn/O'Reilly trade.

01-17-2013, 07:06 PM
Mouse21*

Quote:
Originally Posted by klozge View Post
That wouldn't be very smart. Unsigned he is relatively worthless. And even signed his value would be so much lower now than it will be in a couple of years. Not to speak about how much more value he would have for the team on the ice. Unsigned a trade would bring noone in who would improve the team this season, so Sherman better takes the time he needs to get him signed. And then you don't trade him but play him and push for the playoffs.
Remember, O'Reilly doesn't need to like Sherman. A lot of players don't like their team managers but still enjoy to play for their teams.
disagree. someone would easily just give him the money we arent.
need to trade him.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:10 PM
Avs71

Quote:
You're missing that Benn is a better fit on Stars and O'Reilly is a better fit on Avs. Offensive/defensive balance and such trivial details.
I think Benn would be a pretty nice fit here. If only the lure of O'Reilly's playmaking ability and Eriksson's shot was enough for Dallas to pull the trigger on such a deal.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:14 PM
Freudian
Classless IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
I think Benn would be a pretty nice fit here. If only the lure of O'Reilly's playmaking ability and Eriksson's shot was enough for Dallas to pull the trigger on such a deal.
How are you going to make it work with Benn/Stastny/Duchene down the middle with ice time and defensive assignments? Are you going to pay Benn close to $6M a year and ask him to play shutdown defense?

This isn't NHL13. In reality no team will ever run with three centers like that.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:18 PM
Avs71

Quote:
How are you going to make it work with Benn/Stastny/Duchene down the middle with ice time and defensive assignments? Are you going to pay Benn close to $6M a year and ask him to play shutdown defense?

This isn't NHL13. In reality no team will ever run with three centers like that.
I would gladly ship out Stastny/Duchene in a separate trade.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:18 PM
ChibiPooky
Yay hockey!

Quote:

Yeah, no team would ever run with three centers like Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:21 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Yeah, no team would ever run with three centers like Anze Kopitar, Mike Richards and Jeff Carter.
Or Crosby, Malkin, Staal.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:22 PM
Freudian
Classless IMO

Quote:
Carter and Richards were on the same line, you know. Stoll was the third line center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs71 View Post
Or Crosby, Malkin, Staal.
Exactly. That's why O'Reilly is a better fit here than Benn. You have to have a guy doing the heavy defensive lifting. Like Staal/Sutter does in Pittsburgh and O'Reilly does here.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:29 PM
Avs71

Quote:
Carter and Richards were on the same line, you know. Stoll was the third line center.

Exactly. That's why O'Reilly is a better fit here than Benn. You have to have a guy doing the heavy defensive lifting. Like Staal/Sutter does in Pittsburgh and O'Reilly does here.
That's fair enough and I'd agree with that in general, but O'Reilly for Benn would be way too big of a steal to pass up. I'm just going along the line of thinking that if there was a trade to be made there, that is a clear upgrade for the Avs. I'd make that trade, and then a follow up trade when the time is right. And if ice was an issue until another trade could get worked out, then put Benn on the wing for the time being.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:32 PM
Steve Varmalov
And Then....

Benn is the kind of player I would LOVE on this team. One of my favorite players in the league.

What would it take O'Reilly ++ for Benn?

Old
01-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Freudian
Classless IMO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Varmalov View Post
Benn is the kind of player I would LOVE on this team. One of my favorite players in the league.

What would it take O'Reilly ++ for Benn?
Too much. He's their franchise player. What would we want for Landeskog?

Old
01-17-2013, 07:47 PM
TheStranger

Quote:
Too much. He's their franchise player. What would we want for Landeskog?
Jamie Benn

Old
01-17-2013, 08:15 PM
shadow1

If the Avalanche trade O'Reilly, I think they should go after a defenseman like Zach Bogosian.

It's a tricky situation signing young players these days. One outstanding season and they want to be paid like a top player.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
BoxOfChocolates

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Get asked lots about status of Subban (MTL) and O'Reilly (COL) talks. Right now, going nowhere fast. Can always change but now? Not good.

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
Benn's negotiations with DAL are ongoing. Not there yet but there seems to be sense of more dialogue than with Subban or O'Reilly.

Last edited by BoxOfChocolates: 01-17-2013 at 08:22 PM.
Old
01-17-2013, 08:53 PM
Pierce Hawthorne
Formerly Avsare1

Subban for Oreilly swap some time next week if both are still unsigned?

It would get a lot of mixed opinions from the Avs, but in my honest opinion I think Subban will be a real good Dman in a couple years. Some of you don't like his ego and what not which is understandable, but I personally think its been blown out of proportion a little because of the MTL media.

Closed Thread