HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

Ville de Québec Part VII: Si J'avais les ailes d'un ange

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
DJ Omnimaga

vCash: 500
The Igloo in Kebekoi's avatar would actually be nice. Just change the colors a bit while still staying with blue jerseys and you can be sure it will sell.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:23 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

vCash: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
I'm shocked as well. Here's Yotes Unis with a colour change (and added Fleur de Lis).

Get rid of the red trim around the away logo, and that's actually a winner.

Obviously, Nordiques won't do it, for good reason, but that actually is a decent enough of a look. Can think of at least ten teams that have worse looking sweaters than that right now.

Submit that sucker to Icethetics.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:30 PM
David_99

Quote:
Originally Posted by No Fun Shogun View Post
Get rid of the red trim around the away logo, and that's actually a winner.

Obviously, Nordiques won't do it, for good reason, but that actually is a decent enough of a look. Can think of at least ten teams that have worse looking sweaters than that right now.
Yeah, obviously I'd rather they have a modernized Igloo/Fleur de Lis. This would be if they had to move this week and didn't have time to re-design.

Quote:
Submit that sucker to Icethetics.
My last submission took a year for him to post. Quebec could have a team by then and this would just look silly.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:32 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
My last submission took a year for him to post. Quebec could have a team by then and this would just look silly.
You never know, he could be in need of a freakout friday post.

And holy cow, you're the guy that came up with this?

Well done. If you had just kept red in the logo, then that'd be the perfect look for Minnesota.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:40 PM
David_99

Quote:
You never know, he could be in need of a freakout friday post.

And holy cow, you're the guy that came up with this?

Well done. If you had just kept red in the logo, then that'd be the perfect look for Minnesota.
Taking out the red was the reason I did this. I was watching a Habs / Wild game and didn't like the look of the red/green. Too Christmasy for my eyes (especially in Feb). Also I had had quite a few beers by the time I designed this between the 2nd-3rd periods lol. I remember cursing the red in my submission email! I hate the "Wild" part on the shoulder. They were dropping the puck for the 3rd period so I just flipped the M and quickly added the "ild". The shooting star over the "l" looks like a "t". I was too drunk to care haha.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:43 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

I agree with the overall look, but I think that the logo's the exception. If the logo were the same and red was just removed from the rest of the sweater, then it'd be just a solid green and tan look with a logo that pops out.

Plus, the Wild's my second favorite logo in the league right now, behind only the good old Indian Head (and with St. Louis, Philadelphia, and Montreal in some order rounding out the rest of the top five), so don't want to mess with that.

Old
01-15-2013, 08:47 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 394
They will probably keep the name , unless they do like Minnesota did with the Wild . I think that they will only change the Jersey ... just like the Winnipeg Jets did. I really doubt that they are gonna keep the old jersey and Logo.

Old
01-15-2013, 10:59 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Yeah. I've said it before, I'll say it again.... they're probably going to follow the Jets2.0 example (doing a bit of soothsaying here)....

Move in with the same name but a different look to essentially force people's hands into buying new gear. Then, a few years down the line, when the new team smell starts to wear off, release a retro third that's essentially the old look and then make another mint off merchandise sales.

I'm sure that the Jets will do it in a few years, and the new Nordiques, whenever they get revived, will almost assuredly do the same thing.

Old
01-16-2013, 04:37 AM
knorthern knight

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
They will probably keep the name , unless they do like Minnesota did with the Wild . I think that they will only change the Jersey ... just like the Winnipeg Jets did. I really doubt that they are gonna keep the old jersey and Logo.
Minnesota couldn't use the "Stars" name because Dallas kept it. It's the same as why Atlanta 2.0 was called the Thrashers rather than the Flames... Calgary kept the "Flames" name.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:40 AM
Cacciaguida

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
I've mentioned it before but I'm tired of this whole fake-retro thing. We live in an age of unprecedented advancement in virtually every facet of life that the majority of people wholeheartedly embrace but for some reason in sports we apparently have to pretend we're stuck in the 60s. How about actually employing a little creativity for once? Just because there were some ****** redesigns in the 90s doesn't mean a new look is guaranteed to be bad and you can reference history without having to rip it wholesale just because it's old - Ottawa did a great job of doing exactly that with their thirds.

if it ain't broke don't fix it.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:07 AM
Ugmo

I would be incredibly disappointed if the Nordiques came back and changed the logo. You don't mess with tradition. Do European soccer clubs who've been around for 100 years change their crest? Hell no (albeit they do regularly change their uniforms in order to boost sales). The new Jets logo is pretty cool... but the old logo was classic. When you have a tradition like that to build on, don't screw it up! (And yes, I am aware that the old Jets had a couple of different logos, but the new logo is a radical departure from all of them.)

The 94-95 Nordiques jerseys were perfect. The return of the Nordiques would be perfect with those jerseys. That being said, I do understand that they'd want to make money through sales of new merch, so I wouldn't blame them for tweaking the jerseys a bit. But only a bit! Like maybe add a little image of Cartier's ship over the heart or something.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:15 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbeauNoir View Post
I've mentioned it before but I'm tired of this whole fake-retro thing. We live in an age of unprecedented advancement in virtually every facet of life that the majority of people wholeheartedly embrace but for some reason in sports we apparently have to pretend we're stuck in the 60s. How about actually employing a little creativity for once? Just because there were some ****** redesigns in the 90s doesn't mean a new look is guaranteed to be bad and you can reference history without having to rip it wholesale just because it's old - Ottawa did a great job of doing exactly that with their thirds.
I agree and a good example of this was the Sabres red and grey jerseys. I'm not talking about the logo or colors but the whole design with the cuts on the side and so forth. I thought it was pretty innovative while subtle enough and didn't over-do it like the 90s jerseys(of other teams).

Old
01-17-2013, 07:17 AM
Kimota
Nation of Poutine

Quote:
Yeah. I've said it before, I'll say it again.... they're probably going to follow the Jets2.0 example (doing a bit of soothsaying here)....

Move in with the same name but a different look to essentially force people's hands into buying new gear. Then, a few years down the line, when the new team smell starts to wear off, release a retro third that's essentially the old look and then make another mint off merchandise sales.

I'm sure that the Jets will do it in a few years, and the new Nordiques, whenever they get revived, will almost assuredly do the same thing.
I'd prefer they keep the jerseys as they were before the team left and then add a third jersey with new designs along the way.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:23 AM
Undertakerqc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
I would be incredibly disappointed if the Nordiques came back and changed the logo. You don't mess with tradition. Do European soccer clubs who've been around for 100 years change their crest? Hell no (albeit they do regularly change their uniforms in order to boost sales). The new Jets logo is pretty cool... but the old logo was classic. When you have a tradition like that to build on, don't screw it up! (And yes, I am aware that the old Jets had a couple of different logos, but the new logo is a radical departure from all of them.)

The 94-95 Nordiques jerseys were perfect. The return of the Nordiques would be perfect with those jerseys. That being said, I do understand that they'd want to make money through sales of new merch, so I wouldn't blame them for tweaking the jerseys a bit. But only a bit! Like maybe add a little image of Cartier's ship over the heart or something.
I am not attached to the logo as you are. Its not like its a 100 year old logo has well. It should be modernized.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:33 AM
Shawa666

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
I am not attached to the logo as you are. Its not like its a 100 year old logo has well. It should be modernized.
It's 40 years old.

Long enough.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:49 AM
Undertakerqc

Well i would be open to a new logo. I like how the Jets modernised their logo.

Old
01-17-2013, 03:56 PM
dennilfloss
Yes I love disco!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ugmo View Post
The 94-95 Nordiques jerseys were perfect. The return of the Nordiques would be perfect with those jerseys.
Nothing more needs be said.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:25 PM
Beazley
In Lozenge We Trust

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patofqc View Post
Well i would be open to a new logo. I like how the Jets modernised their logo.
Once True North confirmed the "Jets" team name, we would have taken just about anything for a logo. Fortunately, they designed something nice that is both modern and classic.

Je croise les doigts pour le Quebec et les Nordiques!

Old
01-17-2013, 08:15 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimota View Post
I'd prefer they keep the jerseys as they were before the team left and then add a third jersey with new designs along the way.
I'm sure most fans are in the same boat, as was the case in Winnipeg, but PKP, like TNSE, will be looking at the situation as a way of maximizing their profits. If they release a uniform that's similar to the old look, then they're practically leaving the door wide open for frugal fans to just say, "**** it, I'll keep my old/retro sweater I already have rather than buy a new one." Release an entirely new look, however, and you essentially create brand-new merchandise that every self-respecting fan would essentially be inclined to buy.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:26 PM
DyerMaker66

I don't know if there's really an answer to this, but why have the Nordiques never had strips on their sweaters? A reverse Canadiens jersey would look awesome.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:29 PM
sawchuk1971

hows the construction of the stadium doin'?

Old
01-17-2013, 08:44 PM
Material Defender

If they change the overall look n feel of the logo/jersey (which is IMO a real po$$ibility), I only hope they'll be wearing their '94-'95 jersey in their first local game. THIS would symbolise the Nordiques' comeback as opposed to the Jets (their actual jerseys are NOT Jets' jerseys...).

Old
01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
Material Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
I don't know if there's really an answer to this, but why have the Nordiques never had strips on their sweaters? A reverse Canadiens jersey would look awesome.
Here you go: http://www.histoirenordiques.ca/evolutionchandail.html

Old
01-17-2013, 08:48 PM
Material Defender

Quote:
Originally Posted by sawchuk1971 View Post
hows the construction of the stadium doin'?
Here you go : http://www.ville.quebec.qc.ca/webcam...tre/index.aspx

*LIVE* from Quebec City!

Old
01-17-2013, 10:56 PM
No Fun Shogun
Global Moderator
34-38-61-10-13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Material Defender View Post
*LIVE* from Quebec City!
... it's Thursday night!