HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
01-15-2013, 10:10 AM
scott99

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Slow hockey day for Islanders prospects (in fact it's a pretty slow week ahead). SO I uploaded most of my Andrei Pedan Highlights from the 2012-13 season today. I think my favorite one is.....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dDMlbVH2m8

Tomorrow (and maybe Wednesday if I don't finish) I'll work on the Niagra Ice Dogs first half highlights. That will keep me busy with Mitch Theoret (pre-trade), Jesse Graham, and especially Ryan Strome.
Spectacular move by Pedan, shows the type of talent he has, and that he's just not just some big tough d-man, he can do other things.

Old
01-15-2013, 03:05 PM
steveat

Wow...pretty agile for a big kid.

Old
01-15-2013, 07:51 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
I think Snow will add one more dman either before the first game or once he knows for sure that Visnovsky isn't coming. That could be a Mark Eaton or Griffin Reinhart (for a few games) or Matt Donovan or someone via trade.
Or Thomas Hickey via the waiver wire.

Old
01-16-2013, 06:17 PM
Degeneration Rex

The Top Prospects Games is starting now on NHL Network.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:02 AM
Degeneration Rex

Wednesday

Kelowna 5, Spokane 3-Kichton, 1 assist. -3.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:54 AM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Degeneration Rex View Post
Wednesday

Pretty nice break-out pass too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0cm8ywIhruU

I uploaded Griffin Reinhart highlights from this season as well last night......

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFYyrYhF4NbKI1V2JTUr_Aw

Please subscribe. I update every day.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:40 AM
Marlo Stanfield
My Name Is My Name

vCash: 50
Per Staple

Quote:
@StapeNewsday: #Isles have told Ryan Strome and Griffin Reinhart that they are going back to their JR clubs.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:55 AM
seafoam
Fluorescent Adolescent

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Jonsson View Post
Per Staple
Very happy to see this. It looks like the Isles learned from their mistakes finally.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:10 PM
scott99

Quote:
Wednesday

I really hope we sign this guy, even if he doesn't become an NHL'er, he's be a good guy to have at Bridgeport for an injury replacement.

Old
01-17-2013, 12:22 PM
Renbarg

Niagra sorta got screwed over that camp didn't start two weeks ago. If they could have gotten assurance that Strome would be in the OHL prior to the trade deadline, then they could have gotten a king's ransom.

Last edited by Renbarg: 01-17-2013 at 01:33 PM.
Old
01-17-2013, 12:30 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Niagra sorta got screwed over that camp didn't start two weeks ago. If they could have gotten assurance that Strome would be in the OHL prior to the trade deadline, than they could have gotten a king's ransom.
I was thinking the same thing. I would have liked for him to be dealt to one of the powerhouse teams so he could be involved in a Memorial Cup run. He's gonna have to pull a JT (shoulder almost the entire load alone) for Niagara now. I think Hamilton might stick with the Bruins and didn't they already trade Theoret?

Old
01-17-2013, 12:38 PM
canadianimpact

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renbarg View Post
Niagra sorta got screwed over that camp didn't start two weeks ago. If they could have gotten assurance that Strome would be in the OHL prior to the trade deadline, than they could have gotten a king's ransom.
Ice Dog fan here. We were all hoping to unload Strome, Hamilton, Ritchie for a boat load of young players and picks so we can be competitive when our new arena opens in a couple years. Pretty disappointed but what can you do...

Old
01-17-2013, 12:40 PM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
I was thinking the same thing. I would have liked for him to be dealt to one of the powerhouse teams so he could be involved in a Memorial Cup run. He's gonna have to pull a JT (shoulder almost the entire load alone) for Niagara now. I think Hamilton might stick with the Bruins and didn't they already trade Theoret?
I hope Dougie sticks with Boston. So Isles fans can talk about how stupid their management is for rushing him. At least until he has success, in which case they will say "Ryan Strome/Griffin Reinhart aint no Dougie Hamilton. Completely different situations".

Old
01-17-2013, 12:40 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
Theoret is with Barrie, Niagara will likely get Ritchie back too.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Strummergas

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
I hope Dougie sticks with Boston. So Isles fans can talk about how stupid their management is for rushing him. At least until he has success, in which case they will say "Ryan Strome/Griffin Reinhart aint no Dougie Hamilton. Completely different situations".
C'mon man, you know as well as anyone that Hamilton's success/failure in Boston has nothing to do with Strome's trajectory here. It's not even a question of who's better, it's a question of just 2 separate players in 2 separate situations.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:26 PM
blinkman360
Joffrey Lives

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strummergas View Post
C'mon man, you know as well as anyone that Hamilton's success/failure in Boston has nothing to do with Strome's trajectory here. It's not even a question of who's better, it's a question of just 2 separate players in 2 separate situations.
I completely agree, I just don't and will never understand the attitude around here that these elite prospects shouldn't even get consideration, much less make the team, when guys like Hamilton, Huberdeau, Galchenyuk, Grigorenko, etc. all seem to be making their teams, and were all drafted the same year or after Strome. Two of those guys are making teams that were in the playoffs last year.

Not to mention a guy like Nino, who would clearly help this team that is desperate for secondary scoring. I've read several people post that they'd like to see him stay the whole season in Bridgeport.

I don't mind these kids not making the team. My problem is with the people who take one look at their age and say "NO". Especially when other teams around the league, all of which better/deeper teams than the Isles and a couple who are much better/deeper seem to be doing the opposite.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:35 PM
steveat

it's not only whether they are good enough or not...it also has to do with development. If you can't give enough minutes to a kid when you bring him up, you are actually hindering his development. Right now, Nino would be on 3rd or 4th line duties and he just can't play like that. Nino is the type of player that cannot produce the way he is supposed to produce unless he gets 2nd line minutes or better.

I guarantee you if Nino were on JT's line, he would get at least 60 points his first season. We can't afford to put him up there right now.

We'll see how Strome's colleagues do with their respective teams.

Old
01-17-2013, 04:55 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveat View Post
it's not only whether they are good enough or not...it also has to do with development. If you can't give enough minutes to a kid when you bring him up, you are actually hindering his development. Right now, Nino would be on 3rd or 4th line duties and he just can't play like that. Nino is the type of player that cannot produce the way he is supposed to produce unless he gets 2nd line minutes or better.

I guarantee you if Nino were on JT's line, he would get at least 60 points his first season. We can't afford to put him up there right now.

We'll see how Strome's colleagues do with their respective teams.
Putting these kids in situations and roles that are conducive to success is the key here. I'm glad that the organization finally seems to get that, they should since they've bumbled it in the past.

Nino may be ready to contribute at the NHL level, but he needs to be a top-6 player to fully utilize his talents. The same goes for Strome, Reinhart, Donovan, etc. It's not just their readiness, you don't want to put top-5 picks in bottom-6 and 3rd pairing roles and that's what is available right now.

Things may have been different if they all had a full training camp and a legitimate competition for their projected spots, but that didn't happen here. I do expect all of them to legitimately challenge next training camp, but the 5 day training camp isn't enough time to determine that now. Throwing them to the wolves at the NHL level (in a shortened season) could do more bad than good.

These kids are the future of the team, the Isles have committed to them. Let them all finish their seasons and finish their grooming for the roles that are expected of them at the NHL level. We'll see what we've got next training camp.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:16 PM
Jester9881

Some kids develop faster than others. Look at Gabriel Landeskog, he was a man amongst boys when he was drafted.... a kid that was both mentally and physically mature when his name was called.

Travis Hamonic was ready when he was called up. Nino, Bailey were not. Strome is doing fine things in the OHL, but he's not ready.... not physically and not mentally. Griff has some work to do as well.

I'm on the fence with Nino and even Nelson.... but why rush anyone right now? To appease a few fans? To maybe finish 8th in a shortened season?

Sorry, it doesn't make sense.... not when looking at the long term.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Degeneration Rex

Thursday

Barrie 3, Oshawa 2 (SO)-Theoret, -1.
Guelph 5, Peterborough 3-Pedan, 1 goal (10,SH), 1 assist, even.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:32 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Thursday

Pedan has 10 goals on the season? Nice, I just hope he learns to play more disciplined because if he could eliminate those bone headed penalties, he could be a player.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:32 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Thursday

Scouts did good on Pedan....Hes a bruiser but has offensive potential

Old
01-17-2013, 09:36 PM
InformTheMasses

Quote:
Thursday

Tonights highlights from Pedan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpZEXnI8Ziw

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RmQ3cb2bC6U

Enjoy

Old
01-17-2013, 09:42 PM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
Scouts did good on Pedan....Hes a bruiser but has offensive potential
Yes, like his 2 way game, size, skating ability. He has to cut out the undisciplined penalties, he returned tonight from another suspension.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:54 PM
InformTheMasses

I realize that his PIM may indicate to some that he is Mean and Nasty. Don't get me wrong, he is no slouch and will oblige when called upon to fight. But most of his penalty minutes come from harmful stupid penalties like high sticking, hooking, tripping.

He's pretty careless with the stick (which is like 8 miles long). He's pretty lanky and looks awkward at times. He's still 19 and very green.

I'll admit, he is a guy I watch and get caught daydreaming about what he COULD be in 3 years or so of learning in Bridgeport and after he fills out.

To me, he's a Boom or Bust guy. He is either going to 'get it' and get disciplined (IF that happens, LOOK OUT). Or, he wont get it, and putting a guy out there to take that many of those penalties simply is not feasible for a winning team.

I do love watching him though, as frustrating as it can be sometimes.

Closed Thread