HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Caps 1st rounder

Old
01-17-2013, 07:00 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

vCash: 500
Caps 1st rounder

What would it fetch on deadline or draft day?
A year and a half ago Caps traded their first rounder for Troy Brouwer (RFA at the time) and I'd look for similar deal.
Caps need a top-6 winger. Looking at the list of 2013 RFAs I like Chris Stewart, Blake Wheeler, Patrik Hornqvist, Artem Anisimov (listed as C but has played W in NYR). Would the Caps need to add something? Would another team need to add something?
Also, 2014 UFAs: Thomas Vanek, Mike Cammalleri, Chris Kunitz (I know... no), Alexander Steen, Matt Moulson, Jussi Jokinen.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:08 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 725
Quote:
Originally Posted by fedfed View Post
A year and a half ago Caps traded their first rounder for Troy Brouwer (RFA at the time) and I'd look for similar deal.
Caps need a top-6 winger. Looking at the list of 2013 RFAs I like Chris Stewart, Blake Wheeler, Patrik Hornqvist, Artem Anisimov (listed as C but has played W in NYR). Would the Caps need to add something? Would another team need to add something?
Also, 2014 UFAs: Thomas Vanek, Mike Cammalleri, Chris Kunitz (I know... no), Alexander Steen, Matt Moulson, Jussi Jokinen.
I expect the isles will try to extend Moulson's contract before looking to deal him. Not much interest in moving productive nhlers for picks or prospects.

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:16 PM
Beukeboom Fan

Quote:
Might just be me, but all of the players you mention are significantly better than Brouwer.

The other problem is that it's notnreally the off season any more. The Caps got Brouwer because the Hawksbeither couldn't afford the contract (or didn't think he'd be worth it). At this point, no one has to make a cap move like that and no non-contender has an "extra" top 6 forward.

Unless a team REALLY struggles right out of the gate, I'd be surprised to see any big deals
early.

To that point, three haven't been any big trades after the lockout ended.

Beukeboom Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:30 PM
Money Baer
COYS

vCash: 185
Quote:
I'm sure if the Flames were out of it around deadline day we could trade Cammalleri. We could retain some of his cap-hit to help lighten the load next season.

Money Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:33 PM
TheGoalJudge

Gionta maybe

TheGoalJudge is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:34 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Anisimov is unlikely to be moved. Particularly not for just yet another mid-to-low 1st round pick. We've kind of got a lot of those.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:35 PM
LEAFANFORLIFE23

maybe macarthur at the deadline if we are out. Or Lupul

LEAFANFORLIFE23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:58 PM
fedfed
@FedFedRMNB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beukeboom Fan View Post
Might just be me, but all of the players you mention are significantly better than Brouwer.

The other problem is that it's notnreally the off season any more. The Caps got Brouwer because the Hawksbeither couldn't afford the contract (or didn't think he'd be worth it). At this point, no one has to make a cap move like that and no non-contender has an "extra" top 6 forward.

Unless a team REALLY struggles right out of the gate, I'd be surprised to see any big deals
early.

To that point, three haven't been any big trades after the lockout ended.
Not all. Considering cap hit, Stewart, Cammalleri, Anisimov, Jokinen, Steen are not significantly better than Brouwer for sure.
Hawks weren't at the cap at the time, it was a year after the firesale and their cap situation was OK. His pricetag wasn't that huge (he signed in WSH for slightly more than 2M), so I think they just liked the deal and liked the player they selected (Danault).
Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
I'm sure if the Flames were out of it around deadline day we could trade Cammalleri. We could retain some of his cap-hit to help lighten the load next season.
Considering our cap situation, you'd likely have to take on part of Cammalleri's salary for the deal to be possible.

fedfed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:06 PM
jameswrjobe53

Provably about a first rounder

jameswrjobe53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:07 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Not all. Considering cap hit, Stewart, Cammalleri, Anisimov, Jokinen, Steen are not significantly better than Brouwer for sure.
Hawks weren't at the cap at the time, it was a year after the firesale and their cap situation was OK. His pricetag wasn't that huge (he signed in WSH for slightly more than 2M), so I think they just liked the deal and liked the player they selected (Danault).

Considering our cap situation, you'd likely have to take on part of Cammalleri's salary for the deal to be possible.
Ya it would make sense. Either that, or you send another contract our way. I could see something like

Cammy (Flames retain 3 million)
4th 2013

for

1st 2013
3rd 2013

Old
01-17-2013, 09:13 PM
Halpysback

Cammy-Ribeiro-Brouwer is pretty intriguing assuming Brouwer can paper over the softness on his own.

But since they basically burned a 2nd to get rid of Kotalik's waveable salary I'm not sure flames are in the business of doing that.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:17 PM
Langway
Intangibles

I'd rather keep the pick and wait to solve top six wing issues until the off-season when some of the prospects may be ready. Or else do it on the cheap at the deadline. Or else use Johansson as the primary piece should he not prove ready to be a reliable top six wing or show any further 2C potential.

Edit: I would hope the scouting staff likes this draft much more than '11. If they're a fringe playoff team that should only further reservations toward moving their first. They do own a second for once so, yeah, expect that to go at some point if need be.

Last edited by Langway: 01-17-2013 at 09:53 PM.
Langway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:17 PM
abhanot

MacArthur or Kulemin.

abhanot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:19 PM
Huffer

vCash: 1090
Can't see Wheeler being available. And if he was, it would take a lot more than a 1st.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:21 PM
Halpysback

What about Kulemin + Gunnarsson for 1st +?

Maybe the + being Schultz, Galiev and a 2nd rounder.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Would rather fix it internally or with a UFA addition than move the 1st. If it's still a gaping hole at the deadline and we're in contention, then maybe I change my mind.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:43 PM
Money Baer
COYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halpysback View Post
Cammy-Ribeiro-Brouwer is pretty intriguing assuming Brouwer can paper over the softness on his own.

But since they basically burned a 2nd to get rid of Kotalik's waveable salary I'm not sure flames are in the business of doing that.
That's not really how it went down, but you can interprut it that way if you want.

Reggie, Kotalik +2nd 2011 = just over 7million

for

Butler, Byron = 1.3 mil? (Byron was a 2way)

Feaster made it clear in an interview that the 2nd was for Byron.... not burning Kotalik's contract. (In reality it was probably a bit of both...but it definitely wasn't Feaster giving a 2nd for 3million capspace)

Old
01-17-2013, 10:05 PM
A1LeafNation
Thanks Boston.

Quote:

Leafs wont do that unless its a guaranteed 10 ten pick, even that is questionable.

There are no guarantees with picks, Kulemin and Gunnarsson are guaranteed young NHLers with upside.

A1LeafNation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Phion Keneuf
Top Dawg Ent.

Quote:

Huge no.

Wouldn't trade Gunnar or Kule alone for a 1st, let alone both.

I might do MacArthur depending on the beginning of the season

Phion Keneuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:29 AM
Joey Bones

NYR offers Taylor Pyatt + 3rd for the 1st?

Rangers need a first this year so idk.... just throwing it out there.

Joey Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:40 AM
Hivemind
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Bones View Post
NYR offers Taylor Pyatt + 3rd for the 1st?

Rangers need a first this year so idk.... just throwing it out there.
I like Taylor Pyatt, but no. Caps have plenty of bottom six players right now, nor should we ever part with a 1st to get a player like Pyatt.

Hivemind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:04 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phion Keneuf View Post
Huge no.

Wouldn't trade Gunnar or Kule alone for a 1st, let alone both.

I might do MacArthur depending on the beginning of the season

Huge, huge pass.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:06 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by wally31 View Post
That's not really how it went down, but you can interprut it that way if you want.

Reggie, Kotalik +2nd 2011 = just over 7million

for

Butler, Byron = 1.3 mil? (Byron was a 2way)

Feaster made it clear in an interview that the 2nd was for Byron.... not burning Kotalik's contract. (In reality it was probably a bit of both...but it definitely wasn't Feaster giving a 2nd for 3million capspace)
So it was just Regehr for Butler?

And in no universe was Byron worth a 2nd at the time. Hell even now I wouldn't do it.

Any other team would have topped Butler. Regehr was in high regard.

It was about the money no matter what Feaster says. Obviously he's gonna misdirect it since he can't exactly say "we made that trade because we were cheap".

If Feaster is telling the truth and that's how he actually judges player talent then that's even worse.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:39 AM
Ashasx

Quote:
So it was just Regehr for Butler?

And in no universe was Byron worth a 2nd at the time. Hell even now I wouldn't do it.

Any other team would have topped Butler. Regehr was in high regard.

It was about the money no matter what Feaster says. Obviously he's gonna misdirect it since he can't exactly say "we made that trade because we were cheap".

If Feaster is telling the truth and that's how he actually judges player talent then that's even worse.
They didn't do it because they were cheap... Feaster wanted space to try and land free agents (Richards).

Ashasx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:47 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashasx View Post
They didn't do it because they were cheap... Feaster wanted space to try and land free agents (Richards).
Possibly.

But he still distilled value by shipping Kotalik back when he could have simply waived him instead of getting Buffalo to do that for him.