HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the NHL XIX | Back in action! | Next Game: @ Jets, 3pm

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 04:26 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

vCash: 500
Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Oh trust me they are the type of people that would just jump to the next point of bragging. No matter what you do that fan base will always cling to something that makes them "better".
No doubt, but that just makes 'em look even more petty lol

Old
01-17-2013, 04:45 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

I have to share this

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-e...less-franchise

This journalism makes Garrioch look Pulitzer worthy. I know there is little love for the Oilers in these parts but I'm sure everyone can appreciate a good old fashioned smear job. Highlights include: Everyone from Edmonton sucks and is a misogynist, Jordan Eberle sucks, the Edmonton journal somehow represents the Oilers.

He has some legit gripes with Katz and Tambo etc. but doesn't mention Lowe and doesn't criticize the team for their weak D or goaltending. Methinks this guy is a 'die hard' Cauncks fan (and by that I mean he found out what hockey was during the Cup final a few yeas ago).

Old
01-17-2013, 04:55 PM
danishh
Dat Stache

vCash: 50
i dont really agree with the eberle stuff, but other than that he's pretty much spot on.

management and hockey ops needs to be completely fired there. Maybe scouts too, but you cant really tell when they pick as high as they do.

on the other hand, everyone used to say the exact same things about the rangers and sather, but look how he's done (though to be fair, a whole lot of that had to do with lucking out on a 7th round goalie named henrik lundqvist).

01-17-2013, 05:17 PM
Deku Scrub
Hey Scotty...

vCash: 3900
Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
I have to share this

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/the-e...less-franchise

This journalism makes Garrioch look Pulitzer worthy. I know there is little love for the Oilers in these parts but I'm sure everyone can appreciate a good old fashioned smear job. Highlights include: Everyone from Edmonton sucks and is a misogynist, Jordan Eberle sucks, the Edmonton journal somehow represents the Oilers.

He has some legit gripes with Katz and Tambo etc. but doesn't mention Lowe and doesn't criticize the team for their weak D or goaltending. Methinks this guy is a 'die hard' Cauncks fan (and by that I mean he found out what hockey was during the Cup final a few yeas ago).
"They haven't been relevant since the 80s"

He must have missed the part where they went to the Cup Finals in 2006 and made the playoffs every season from from 1990-1992, and 1996-2001. They may not have gotten very far but they are far from irrelevant and have a strong fanbase. I think their team is looking pretty good now too. If it isn't already this season, their offense should be pretty much elite within the next couple years. (Hall, Eberle, RNH, Yakupov, J. Schultz, Hemsky, Gagner, maybe MPS) I think Dubnyk is pretty good, and their blueline might not be the greatest right now, but that can be addressed easily. Especially if they are **** this year, they can get Jones or another top blueliner.

If J. Schultz turns into a top 2 defenseman, then I think this top 4 would look pretty good if they can add another guy.

J. Schultz - ???
Whitney - N. Schultz

Old
01-17-2013, 05:21 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

This about sums up the article:

Quote:
That summer it all fell apart because Chris Pronger, like VICE Canada's favorite cartoonist and anyone else who doesn't completely suck, decided "**** it, I don't want to live in Edmonton."
Instead of pointing out the real problems with the Oilers he just uses the article to slam Edmonton the city and people. He writes more about Edmonton fan's alleged obsession with Paulina Gretzky than he does about Katz trying to extort money from the province.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:13 PM
HavlatMach9

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
This journalism makes Garrioch look Pulitzer worthy. I know there is little love for the Oilers in these parts but I'm sure everyone can appreciate a good old fashioned smear job.
I don't know why you would have expectation for VICE to put up an interesting hockey article. (and that Oilers team was ace when Roloson was in nets, probably would have won a cup).

Old
01-17-2013, 06:41 PM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by HavlatMach9 View Post
I don't know why you would have expectation for VICE to put up an interesting hockey article. (and that Oilers team was ace when Roloson was in nets, probably would have won a cup).
Its not so much that its VICE, the guy who wrote the article is a Vancouver Canucks beat writer. Could you imagine Ian Mendez writing an article in that same tone about the Leafs?

I accept VICE for what it is: entertainment not journalism but the guy who did it should probably be held to some standards.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:58 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Tuned in early before the 2 hour TSN preview show only to find that not only does Curling have an All-Star Game, but they also have an All-Star Draft akin to what the NHL does, and people actually watch it. All I can say is thank good the NHL is back and this is not what I am going to be spending my winter watching.

No offense to curling fans.

Old
01-17-2013, 06:58 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
Quote:
Originally Posted by danishh View Post
i dont really agree with the eberle stuff, but other than that he's pretty much spot on.

management and hockey ops needs to be completely fired there. Maybe scouts too, but you cant really tell when they pick as high as they do.

on the other hand, everyone used to say the exact same things about the rangers and sather, but look how he's done (though to be fair, a whole lot of that had to do with lucking out on a 7th round goalie named henrik lundqvist).
Since Tambo took over, the Oilers drafting has actually yielded some decent prospects and the D cupboard has been restocked with plenty of 4-6 potential players and a couple should-be top-4 guys in Schultz and Klefbom. Have the results been there in the NHL so far? No. It's impossible to argue otherwise. But the organization isn't as bad top-to-bottom as it's made out to be.

01-17-2013, 07:34 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

TSN predicting Ottawa to finish 7th in the east. I like and also, I concur.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Iamok
#Panic

I hate TSN's coverage/supposed knowledge of the Sens, so I'm more inclined to think we'll miss the playoffs now. Just because.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:12 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Just realized that CI has a free preview till Jan. 31. I can watch the home opener now (on TV)!!! YEAH!

Old
01-17-2013, 08:17 PM
Cujomi
YNWA

Hockey News is funny...got a free subscription and in the Ottawa section it says "leading the team in points as a defenceman is rare, but that's exactly what Karlsson did." I guess Spezza didn't play on our team last year (giveaway machine, always on the other team).

Anyway, is Price really injured? Just heard this. If so I'm going to hate playing Montreal in a couple of years.

Also for what it's worth THN has Ottawa finishing in 8th. I think most places expect us to make the playoffs this year. Earned some respect I believe.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:39 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Didn't know where to post this but

Old
01-17-2013, 08:43 PM
BonkTastic
"Small Sample Size!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Hossa View Post
Didn't know where to post this but

You need to specify where that discount applies.

The NHL store?
Pro Hockey Life?
Olive Garden?

Old
01-17-2013, 08:43 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
NHL Store, if you follow the link it says nhlca in the URL. The promo is also displayed as a banner on shop.NHL.com.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:46 PM
L'Aveuglette
Restin' my groin.

Who the hell is Sven Baerschi?

Old
01-17-2013, 08:50 PM
source

Quote:
Originally Posted by WantEggRoll View Post
Tuned in early before the 2 hour TSN preview show only to find that not only does Curling have an All-Star Game, but they also have an All-Star Draft akin to what the NHL does, and people actually watch it. All I can say is thank good the NHL is back and this is not what I am going to be spending my winter watching.

No offense to curling fans.

That's hilarious.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:18 PM
littleD

Send a message via MSN to littleD
Epic Brent Burns is epic.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:18 PM
18Hossa

vCash: 232
Quote:
Originally Posted by littleD View Post
Epic Brent Burns is epic.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:29 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Just picked up CenterIce so on top of 48 Ottawa games I am looking forward to watching some teams in the West play due to the fact that there is no inter-conference games. If anyone else has Rogers and missed it on the main board they are offering CI for a $49.99 flat fee this year instead of $40/m for their sports pack.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:40 PM
WasTeD
Gettn Wiggy wit it

Send a message via Skype™ to WasTeD
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'Aveuglette View Post
Who the hell is Sven Baerschi?
An extremely highly touted prospect who played awesome in his short stint with the Flames last season.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:58 AM
HavlatMach9

TSN's Sens season preview is up. The discussion about Karlsson was funny (like something you see on HFboards). They predict us to go 7th.
Linky

Old
01-18-2013, 07:58 AM
Smash88

vCash: 50
Having a tough time... Who would you go with for fantasy:

Zidlicky in NJ or Suter in Minny?

Old
01-18-2013, 08:12 AM
Quo
ragtime

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash88 View Post
Having a tough time... Who would you go with for fantasy:

Zidlicky in NJ or Suter in Minny?
Suter, absolutely Suter.

From what I saw in the playoffs, I very much dislike Zidlicky.

Closed Thread