HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Leafs open practice

Old
01-17-2013, 07:57 PM
BayStBully

vCash: 500
Leafs open practice

A couple notes from practice today..

- Reimer looked pretty awful, and I'm a big Reimer supporter. There was a drill where they were making the goalies play the puck and he was dreadful whereas Scrivens looked great.
- Reimer also looked absolutely gassed at times, this seems to be an ongoing issue with him as I saw this a couple times last year too, midseason. Scrivens is a great skater for a goalie.
- On some of the 2 on 1 drills Reimer was letting in top or bottom glove side goals every 4th or 5th goal. Scrivens was stopping up to 10 in a row.

I must say, I've been a huge advocate of letting Reimer play and Scrivens backing him up.. and I know it was practice but I have a hard time seeing how the coaches don't start Scrivens on saturday.

Also,

- Kostka looked very smooth, rocket for a shot.
- Kadri showed off some silky hands.
- Mark Fraser impressed. Got a standing ovation for a one on one battle drill he had with Lupul.
- Rielly didn't look out of place, but didn't really have a chance to get out and skate around as he would in a game.
- I didn't see Leo Komarov look tired or breath heavy once. Guy looks like a machine. Destroyed everyone in sprints effortlessly.
- Frattin looked pretty invisible.

BayStBully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:20 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Thanks for this.

I hear Grabovski and Kulemin look good and are in great shape. Did you notice them today?

Drew311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:38 PM
Cor
Me Troll? Never

vCash: 50
Can someone piss James Riemer off please? When he first came up, it was pretty awesome to see a player smiling, but now it pisses me off.

Ben Scrivens presents himself much better IMO

Cor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:43 PM
ForzaZuffa
Don't stare at it...

Nice report, good info, thanks

ForzaZuffa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:52 PM
BayStBully

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Thanks for this.

I hear Grabovski and Kulemin look good and are in great shape. Did you notice them today?
They looked good. Nothing out of the ordinary for them.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:53 PM
xyzz

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayStBully View Post

- Reimer looked pretty awful, and I'm a big Reimer supporter. There was a drill where they were making the goalies play the puck and he was dreadful whereas Scrivens looked great.
- Reimer also looked absolutely gassed at times, this seems to be an ongoing issue with him as I saw this a couple times last year too, midseason. Scrivens is a great skater for a goalie.
- On some of the 2 on 1 drills Reimer was letting in top or bottom glove side goals every 4th or 5th goal. Scrivens was stopping up to 10 in a row.

I must say, I've been a huge advocate of letting Reimer play and Scrivens backing him up.. and I know it was practice but I have a hard time seeing how the coaches don't start Scrivens on saturday.

Also,

- Mark Fraser impressed. Got a standing ovation for a one on one battle drill he had with Lupul.
- Rielly didn't look out of place, but didn't really have a chance to get out and skate around as he would in a game.
- I didn't see Leo Komarov look tired or breath heavy once. Guy looks like a machine. Destroyed everyone in sprints effortlessly.

I was there today too, and agree with everything you say...other than the standing ovation =P. People clapped, but thats not a standing O =)

Fraser looked good, and Lupul and Bozak did as well. Kessel was playing with half a heart as usual. its a shame.. the guy could be one of the best players in the league, but he just doesn't put in the effort. Kessel was by far the laziest guy out there.

xyzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:56 PM
BayStBully

Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzz View Post
I was there today too, and agree with everything you say...other than the standing ovation =P. People clapped, but thats not a standing O =)

Fraser looked good, and Lupul and Bozak did as well. Kessel was playing with half a heart as usual. its a shame.. the guy could be one of the best players in the league, but he just doesn't put in the effort. Kessel was by far the laziest guy out there.
Well me and my section gave him a standing ovation lol.

But yeah if you didn't already know who Kessel was, you would think he was terrible from that practice lol

Old
01-17-2013, 08:58 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Well me and my section gave him a standing ovation lol.

But yeah if you didn't already know who Kessel was, you would think he was terrible from that practice lol
"You're taking 'bout practice."

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:23 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

Kessel turns it up when he has to......except in Boston.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:24 PM
bradm6125

I was also there, really enjoyed it.

Stuff I noticed:

- Huge fan of Kostka, hoping he cracks the squad.

- Mark Fraser really surprised me, I've liked what I've seen of him with the Marlies but didn't expect him to fit in today as well as he did.

- The 1on1 battle between Fraser/Lupul was also a highlight for me. Cool for the fans to acknowledge a solid effort.

- JVR-Kadri-Komarov looked great together.

- Agree that Frattin looked invisible, he was also not slated on any specific lines (based on jersey colour)

- Reilly looked comfortable, excited for his 5 games.

- Reimer did look weak often

- Great flow on Bozak haha

If I were picking the team I'd have this lineup in Montreal

Lupul-Bozak-Kessel
Macarthur-Grabo-Kulemin
JVR-Kadri-Komarov
Mcclement-Steckel-Brown

Phaneuf-Gunnarson
Liles-Franson
*Kostka-Rielly**
Fraser

Reimer
Scrivens

- Mcclement and Steckel interchangeable
- Frattin to Marlies, Orr healthy scratched until needed for extra toughness.
- Rielly gets 5 games
- Fraser/Kostka battle for 6/7
- Reimer deserves the chance to prove he can be #1, but on a very short leash with Scrivens ready.

bradm6125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:32 PM
Drew311
Catch The Taste

^
Where's your friend and mine, Mike Komisarek?

Old
01-17-2013, 09:36 PM
TML g u n n e R s*
EDC 2013

Send a message via MSN to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Yahoo to TML g u n n e R s* Send a message via Skype™ to TML g u n n e R s*
Is there open practice tomm?

TML g u n n e R s* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:36 PM
Lebanese Leaf

Quote:

Also,

I love this. We could always use another machine. We already have Grabo The Warrior, maybe now we add Koma The Machine.

Or better yet, let's call him KOMATSU... after the construction bulldozer company.

Lebanese Leaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:44 PM
-DeMo-

Send a message via MSN to -DeMo-
it's not surprising that Reimer doesn't look like he's in mid-season form compared to a guy who has played 22 games already. I still think he should start.

-DeMo- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:54 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
What really sucks is that there is no one positive report out there about Reimer. I mean sure, someone would've noticed something good about him by now.

Oh well, maybe the motto this year is:

With Reimer, We surrender

Penalty Kill Icing* is offline   Reply With Quote