HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
National Hockey League Talk Discuss NHL players, teams, games, and the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

2012-13 NHL Center Ice/Gamecenter Discussion Part II

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 09:21 PM
WantEggRoll

vCash: 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bean in Charge View Post
For anyone in Ontario ordering through Rogers - I just called in, asked about Centre Ice, and didn't even have to start quoting sources to get the one-time fee of $50. The service rep straight up said that was the cost.

So anyone who's getting talked into having to buy the super sports package, or pay $200...it's flat out false.

I was actually surprised how easy it was haha.
Just added it myself, thanks for the advice. They tried to sell me the super sports pack after confirming the other deal for $49.99 haha. No thank you Rogers just my hockey please.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:40 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Try sending their support an email? They replied to mine within 2 hours.
I just called and they said they've been having an issue with PayPal payments. Kind of pathetic for a multi-billionaire dollar business to not be able to post a message informing potential clients of this fail. Typical bush league NHL. Par for the course for Jacobs and Bettman.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:45 PM
sherryb

There has been a lot of talk in this forum about ways to get around blackouts, please be aware that it is illegal to do so(and could get you into trouble) ,from gamecenter terms of service : IF YOU CIRCUMVENT OR ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT ANY BLACKOUT RESTRICTION OR OTHER USE RESTRICTION: YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL BE SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE TERMINATION AND A CHARGE OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100.00) FOR EARLY TERMINATION WILL BE APPLIED TO YOUR CREDIT CARD; YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO LEGAL ACTION; AND NHL ICE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REPORT SUCH MISCONDUCT TO APPROPRIATE LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
Teppo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherryb View Post
There has been a lot of talk in this forum about ways to get around blackouts, please be aware that it is illegal to do so(and could get you into trouble) ,from gamecenter terms of service : IF YOU CIRCUMVENT OR ATTEMPT TO CIRCUMVENT ANY BLACKOUT RESTRICTION OR OTHER USE RESTRICTION: YOUR SUBSCRIPTION WILL BE SUBJECT TO IMMEDIATE TERMINATION AND A CHARGE OF ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($100.00) FOR EARLY TERMINATION WILL BE APPLIED TO YOUR CREDIT CARD; YOU MAY BE SUBJECT TO LEGAL ACTION; AND NHL ICE RESERVES THE RIGHT TO REPORT SUCH MISCONDUCT TO APPROPRIATE LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES.
Using a proxy server is entirely legal. There are good reasons to use proxy servers in some cases. Therefore how could it be proven that using a proxy server was to circumvent the blackout restriction? I am no legal expert, but I think if the NHL needs to have blackouts then they need a better way to enforce them (not that there is a better way, but that is not the end user's problem).

Old
01-17-2013, 10:06 PM
SpaethCo

Quote:
Originally Posted by G51 K81 View Post
CI vs GCL... what's better?
CI HD games > GCL games (good connection) > CI SD games > GCL games (crappy connection)

Full disclosure: I sign up for both services every year, specifically because of the ranking listed above. If I can't get a game in HD from DirecTV, I fall back to watching it through GCL on Roku.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:26 PM
StoneColdFlower*
El Sid

Is it actually illegal to circumvent a media blackout in Canada? I have no ethical issues with it.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:30 PM
cardinal0512

Specific to this Sunday, does anyone know if Flyers-Penguins game will be available on Center Ice? I get the Chicago-LA game on NBC in my market and the Philly game isn't currently listed on the guide anywhere.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:33 PM
CallToronto

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal0512 View Post
Specific to this Sunday, does anyone know if Flyers-Penguins game will be available on Center Ice? I get the Chicago-LA game on NBC in my market and the Philly game isn't currently listed on the guide anywhere.

I would hope so, i think for Hockey Day in American last year NBC had a few extra games that day and you could watch the other game on NHL.com with our with out a subscription. I would image/hope they do something similar.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:34 PM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinal0512 View Post
Not on the TV, but you can watch it online on nbcsports.com

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/45340521

Old
01-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Penalty Kill Icing*
Fire Carlyle

vCash: 140
Has anyone in Canada installed NHL Gamecenter app on xbox yet? Just want to make sure app is indeed available in Canada before i click payment button.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:37 PM
cardinal0512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullwine85 View Post
Not on the TV, but you can watch it online on nbcsports.com

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/45340521
Thank you! Do you know if their live streaming works through Apple TV? Would love to watch on TV versus iPad...

Old
01-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Bullwine85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Has anyone in Canada installed NHL Gamecenter app on xbox yet? Just want to make sure app is indeed available in Canada before i click payment button.
Not sure about Canada, I know it's available in the US right now.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:57 PM
Budddy

Shaw told me yesterday GCL was included...contacted them tonight to set it up...they said GCL is not included...get your act together Shaw...

anyone else sign with Shaw yet and get same response?

Old
01-17-2013, 11:18 PM
Sergei Berezin

I downloaded it in Canada.

It's good to go.

You just have to search for it using the search function.

Btw, did anyone else notice how it gives you the option to hide scores?

Old
01-18-2013, 01:24 AM
ReginKarlssonLehner
Classless, no rispek

vCash: 50
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting GameCenterLive for the first time.

Is it worth it in comparison to free streams I could find somewhere else? Are all games available or are actually some blacked out, I live in Canada. Is it always excellent quality with no lag?

Btw, I'm thinking of getting GCL instead of CenterIce because I don't currently have cable but is there anyone I can watch through my xbox 360? Or register through it?

Any feedback would be tremendous.

EDIT: I scanned quickly and seen there is an app for xbox that you can download? Has anyone tried it and still received excellent connection?

Old
01-18-2013, 01:30 AM
pb1300
BLEED RED

Send a message via Yahoo to pb1300
I had Gamecenter Live last season here in Greece, and it was great. Some games I would get a bit of lag, but overall, the quality was great. I paid the $50 as soon as I saw it was available to order.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:08 AM
DevinHextall

I had gamecenter last year on IPad Ps3 and PC. I just got the new app for Xbox and the video quality even on last years games seems much smoother. It seems closer to 60 frames a second where as last year I was getting 30 with stutters on Ps3 and PC. Hopefully it holds up for live games.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:13 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

vCash: 645
Quote:
Originally Posted by Budddy View Post
Shaw told me yesterday GCL was included...contacted them tonight to set it up...they said GCL is not included...get your act together Shaw...

anyone else sign with Shaw yet and get same response?
I was told on the phone that GCL won't be included and that's what it says on their website as well.

Based on my experiences, Shaw's customer service is pretty good and they're usually all on the same page. I hated dealing with Bell when I was with them. They were awful.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:26 AM
Crindy

Watching a little bit of a game from 2006 and one from last season on the Xbox app to test it out. I don't have the strongest bandwidth and I'm watching on a ten-year old tube TV, but it's running smoothly and looks pretty good considering. Audio is a little bit garbled, but it's more a minor annoyance than anything, and was only present on the older game. As everyone else said, it remains to be seen how this will hold for live feeds, but if I can run it like this on my limited DSL, most of you should be fine.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:40 AM
Dzepetto
Rookie User

Anyone who's having a Paypal issues tried to ask support whether this problem will be fixed before the puck drop or not? This is a real problem for those who don't have credit card.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:18 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

Anyone with the apk for the android app? Would love to have it, as the app is unavailable in Norway (even if I use VPN, since they go by the registered country on the phone. Would need to flash the bios to actually change that country). Would really appreciate a PM or a link posted here.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:26 AM
Click Here
You know you want to

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Some VPN's are free to download I believe.
If you are watching through the website, I wouldn't worry about price and if you prefer not to pay, you can make do with free vpn (probably) and hotspot shield. Turn on your favorite solution, open your game, then immediately turn off your solution, then it uses your own bandwith/connection.[/QUOTE]

i would be very surprised if there's a decent server for free in a country that isn't blacked out, i.e. US/canada/UK. by all means please let me know if anyone finds one, but i'm expecting to pay around ~$10 a month for some options in asia/aus/parts of europe, with no cap on bandwidth.

i will often watch through the website since games start at midnight for me so i watch on the laptop in bed, so i'll try your idea. if it works that's a gem, but i'm not sure.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:40 AM
Eddy Livingstone

For those in continental Europa, ESPN America has its NHL-programming for the first week online, including the opening night match-up between LA and Chicago.

Let us hope they have not found inspiration in the Premier Sports-black out policy.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:42 AM
GFiP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penalty Kill Icing View Post
Some FAQ about NHL GameCenter Live. I am only including questions that people woudl generally ask for. Others can be found on NHL website (I hope). Hoping this helps:

NHL GameCenter Live

1. I am in US/Canada. Can I get NHL playoffs?
On the first look, no. However, if a DNS or VPN server based in Europe or some place outside of N.America is used, this should fool NHL GCL into thinking that you are in Australia or some random place, and that since you don't have any way of watching the games on TV, you should have access to the games.

2. How do I watch my team's games if I live in the broadcast area?
Practically, NHL doesn't want you to use NHL GCL for this purpose. However, there is a way around it. Use of a DSN or VPN based in some other territory should do as mentioned in first question. Unblock-us is one alternative suggested here. Another one I found is tunlr.net (not confirmed if it works yet). First has a monthly charge of $5, while later is free.

3. Wait, so what is difference between VPN and DNS servers?
In a VPN server, your entire internet traffic goes through a server based in some other place. Depending upon quality of VPN server, lag can be expected. Pro is this technology is guaranteed to work in fooling GCL servers. On the contrary, use of DNS just changes the DNS server that your computer uses to interprete

3. What about international billing address for payment? Does that help?
No. NHL cares about where are you watching from, not where you are paying from.

4. I see NHL vault is pretty choppy, OR I am not satisfied with quality when I try to watch past games. Should I expect the same?
No. NHL GCL has a far better bitrate, with some suggesting the quality could be as good as 4500 kbps this season. On the contrary, past games can only be viewed at 1600 kbps.

5. How soon can I watch games if I am working during game time?
Usually, there is a 48 hour blackout for games that are blacked out. But the way of getting around remains the same as explained above.

6. What are the advantages compared to hockeystreams?
For one, its highly unlikely that hockeystreams can stream at 4500 kbps. Only major networks have infrastructure to stream at that rate. Besides, NHL GCL supports multiple devices.

7. What devices are supported? Or When is the update going to be released for my device? How is the quality?
As of now, according to NHL.com/devices , Android, iOS, PS3, Roku, PS3, Apple TV, Boxee, Sony devices are supported. They are already in process of rolling out updated apps for all devices, and app for Xbox 360 (requires Xbox live gold) should be released by Friday.

8. But after all this, what if it doesn't work for me?
Someone else can correct me on this, but I think NHL has 7 day return policy on NHL GCL. So, that's always an option.

9. I am subscriber from last season, does it auto renew? OR What if I don't want to renew for next season when it is back to $120/year?
The system has auto-renewal feature built in. So depending upon your situation, you may/may not have to contact support to change that.
Thanks for the info. I have xbox live, live in New Jersey, and want to get local games too since I don't have cable in my basement.

What tweaking to my DNS settings to do I need to do exactly to not have local games blocked out?

Old
01-18-2013, 05:23 AM
SixGoalieSystem
Eat all the bacon!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubkov21 View Post
Anyone with the apk for the android app? Would love to have it, as the app is unavailable in Norway (even if I use VPN, since they go by the registered country on the phone. Would need to flash the bios to actually change that country). Would really appreciate a PM or a link posted here.
The apps below are up to date, even if the apk's are called 2011-12. I was able to access the app and to purchase premium.

Phone: http://wikisend.com/download/388334/...112.free-1.apk
Tablet: http://wikisend.com/download/541392/...let.free-1.apk

Closed Thread