HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

2012-13 Ongoing Waivers Thread (Chris Bourque)

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 09:02 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by caley View Post
But it also sends the message of "We think so highly of you that anyone can have you for free if they want" which probably isn't great for a goalie's confidence, especially a back-up.
The message it sends is that they both need to step their "****" up. No more excuses, either your at your best or you are not on the team at all. To be quite honest that stance is completed warranted as well. For far to long this organization has had to deal with the struggles of it's backup goaltenders. I have no problems at all with the way Feaster handled this.

Last edited by HighLifeMan: 01-17-2013 at 09:07 PM.
Old
01-17-2013, 09:11 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
caley, I know you've been speaking of McCarthy and Begin but what about Winchester? Any word of the odds of him earning a contract tomorrow?

Old
01-17-2013, 09:14 PM
HighLifeMan
HFB Partner

vCash: 152
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rivet52 View Post
caley, I know you've been speaking of McCarthy and Begin but what about Winchester? Any word of the odds of him earning a contract tomorrow?
He was released from his PTO earlier today.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:47 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighLifeMan View Post
He was released from his PTO earlier today.
Ah well, that answers that. Sucks for Winchester, I thought he had a shot.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:25 PM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blind Gardien View Post
Have I missed any discussion of Brian Strait? Teams looking for D, is he not a good candidate to take?
Whoever claims him will be pleasantly surprised that they got a player like him off waivers. The upside isn't overwhelming but he's a pretty solid depth D from what I've seen of him with the Pens and Baby Pens. He brings no offense but is mobile and solid defensively.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:26 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by this providence View Post
From the Wild, I think Palmieri may get claimed. Playing very well in Houston this year and has the frame and skating to make a team think he could play on their 4th line.

If the Wild can make it work contract number wise, I think Brian Strait from the Pens makes a ton of sense both in terms of having multiple injuries on defense currently and system similarities given that Yeo and a few from this staff may have a decent read on him.

These series of tweets indicate that the Isles still have an open roster spot up front and IMO will likely make Nick Palmieri their final waiver wire selection tomorrow before the 23-man roster deadline:
7h Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Islanders send Ryan Strome, Griffin Reinhart back to juniors for seasoning http://*******/Sa5aYm

11h Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
#Isles roster now at 24 heading into cutdown day on Fri., with 2 inj. Best guess is that Ryan Strome, G. Reinhart headed back to JRs soon.

11h Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
#Isles claim C Keith Aucoin off waivers from the Leafs.

15h Arthur Staple ‏@StapeNewsday
Also, I'd expect #Isles to keep mining the waiver wire, perhaps for an extra forward. Only have 13 healthy now, including R. Strome.

01-17-2013, 10:34 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
Whoever claims him will be pleasantly surprised that they got a player like him off waivers. The upside isn't overwhelming but he's a pretty solid depth D from what I've seen of him with the Pens and Baby Pens. He brings no offense but is mobile and solid defensively.
Maybe, just maybe, Brian Strait will be selected by NYR tomorrow. I believe they opened up a contract slot with the Wade Redden buyout today. And it looks like they could use the extra body with d-man Sauer still out the last time I checked, with his serious concussion.

Last edited by JawandaPuck: 01-17-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Old
01-17-2013, 10:57 PM
BlueDream

Brad Winchester can't make the Flames? Jesus. I mean obviously there's nothing earth-shattering about him but it surprises me greatly that he can't even get a contract with an NHL team. There are so many worse 4th-liners than him that have contracts it's not even funny.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:11 PM
Abbotsford Heat

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDream View Post
Brad Winchester can't make the Flames? Jesus. I mean obviously there's nothing earth-shattering about him but it surprises me greatly that he can't even get a contract with an NHL team. There are so many worse 4th-liners than him that have contracts it's not even funny.
The Flames weakness upfront is down the middle, on the wings they are good. If Winchester was a centerman he would have made the team, he had a good camp there was just no room for him.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:33 AM
alpine4life

I didnt follow him a whole lot, but what the hell happened to Thomas Hickey?? a 4th pick overall never got a shot in the NHL...

Old
01-18-2013, 08:44 AM
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Maybe, just maybe, Brian Strait will be selected by NYR tomorrow. I believe they opened up a contract slot with the Wade Redden buyout today. And it looks like they could use the extra body with d-man Sauer still out the last time I checked, with his serious concussion.
Didn't they sign Gilroy?

Old
01-18-2013, 08:51 AM
xECK29x

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
I didnt follow him a whole lot, but what the hell happened to Thomas Hickey?? a 4th pick overall never got a shot in the NHL...
He's going to do well on Long Island!

Old
01-18-2013, 08:54 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by xECK29x View Post
He's going to do well on Long Island!
^ Hope he does.

It does seem very strange for a 4th overall pick to never even play a game with the team that drafted him though.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:05 AM
Neil Patrick Harris
Playoffs right MEOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine4life View Post
General lack of room on the LA defense I believe. He needed to step up above everyone else and simply got outplayed by other young defensemen.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:06 AM
Reddawg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
^ Hope he does.

It does seem very strange for a 4th overall pick to never even play a game with the team that drafted him though.
Los Angeles has been an awful place for prospects trying to make the NHL the past 4-5 years or so.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:21 AM
alpine4life

thx guys... hope he does, the guy deserve a shot, just like montaya did

Old
01-18-2013, 09:22 AM
Leafs in 7

Thomas Hickey is going to turn a lot of heads everybody and shine this season just watch

Old
01-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Yzerplan
I has one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddawg View Post
Los Angeles has been an awful place for prospects trying to make the NHL the past 4-5 years or so.
All Purcell and Moulson needed was a change of scenery and opportunity. Maybe the same thing happens for Thomas Hickey, but I doubt it.

Either way, the Stanley Cup Champs are doing pretty damn well.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:39 AM
KingsFan7824

Quote:
I don't see how that's true. It was pretty much all about prospects for the Kings before the trade for Richards.

Hickey was Lombardi's first real draft pick. If anyone was going to want Hickey to make the NHL, it was Lombardi. From a selfish point of view, it doesn't make him look good to lose Hickey for nothing.

Hopefully Hickey takes this chance and runs with it, like Moulson did when he signed what was basically a tryout contract with the Islanders.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:42 AM
Vitto79

Connolly really should clear and the TO eats half the salary to a cap floor team for a bag of popcorn or AHL body

Is any NHL team currently under the cap floor?

Old
01-18-2013, 10:13 AM
kingsfan
#SutterforanOscar

Quote:
Tell that to Kyle Quincey, Vyacheslav Voynov, Alec Martinez, Dwight King, Jordan Nolan, Jack Johnson, Drew Doughty, Trevor Lewis, Jonathan Quick, Jonathan Bernier, Davis Drewiske and anyone else who cracked the NHL as a King the past five years.

Moulson and Purcell were screw ups I agree, but I doubt anyone seen Moulson coming, and all teams have mistakes. Hickey would have cracked the Kings as well if not for the fact we are unreally deep on D. I expect Hickey will do really good things as an Islander.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:25 AM
Pi

vCash: 100
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
Connolly really should clear and the TO eats half the salary to a cap floor team for a bag of popcorn or AHL body

TSN 1050 said that Connolly was picked up by the Isles!

Hoping it's true.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:34 AM
GoalPoster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post

The salary cap 'floor' is set at $16 million below the cap. This year's cap is $70.2 million (pro rated from the actual cap of $60 million).

I'm not sure if the 'floor' is based on the pro rated $70 mil or the actual $60 mil. If it is based on the 'pro rated' $70.2 million, then the following teams are currently 'under' . . .

Islanders
Coyotes
Stars
SEnators
Panthers
Blues
Blue Jackets
Avalanche
Predators
Devils

If it is based on the actual $60 million cap, then everyone's over.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalPoster View Post
The salary cap 'floor' is set at $16 million below the cap. This year's cap is $70.2 million (pro rated from the actual cap of $60 million).

I'm not sure if the 'floor' is based on the pro rated $70 mil or the actual $60 mil. If it is based on the 'pro rated' $70.2 million, then the following teams are currently 'under' . . .

Islanders
Coyotes
Stars
SEnators
Panthers
Blues
Blue Jackets
Avalanche
Predators
Devils

Everyone is over from my understanding. The higher figure, though it is the de facto ceiling, is a cap compliance exception. The lower figure is the de jure ceiling.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:39 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoalPoster View Post

Islanders
Coyotes
Stars
SEnators
Panthers
Blues
Blue Jackets
Avalanche
Predators
Devils

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Everyone is over from my understading.
I think the Cap Floor is fixed at $44M this season and next.

Closed Thread