HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Which of our top defensive prospects ends up a bust?

View Poll Results: Which player ends up the worst 'o the bunch?
All of them at least end up second pairing defensemen 10 14.49%
Despres 12 17.39%
Morrow 4 5.80%
Pouliot 21 30.43%
Maata 20 28.99%
None of them end up first or second pairing defensemen 2 2.90%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 06:03 PM
  #1
Jaded-Fan
Registered User
 
Jaded-Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 33,238
vCash: 500
Which of our top defensive prospects ends up a bust?



Or put another way, which ends up being the worst of the bunch, if not busts outright?

Jaded-Fan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:09 PM
  #2
Dangles78
Registered User
 
Dangles78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
All of them....just not (all) for the Pens

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:41 PM
  #3
MonsterSurge
Registered User
 
MonsterSurge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2,387
vCash: 500
Pouliot.


MAATTA <----

MonsterSurge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:00 PM
  #4
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,257
vCash: 500
Maatta. One man's well-rounded is another's vanilla. Hasn't impressed me all that much whenever I've seen him.

Maybe I just caught him on some nondescript nights.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:35 PM
  #5
IHWR
The Chiropractor
 
IHWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Ottawa, ON
Country: Canada
Posts: 8,396
vCash: 500
Pouliot but that's not a knock on him. I think the other three are all fantastic prospects and the top 3 the Pens currently have.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:08 PM
  #6
Sivek
Registered User
 
Sivek's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 3,268
vCash: 500
I'd say Despres in the sense that I think he has the highest chance of not becoming a special player, but can't call him bust since he's in the NHL already at a young age.

Think Pouliot has the highest chance of the group of completely wiping out and never becoming a full-time NHL d-man.

Sivek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:53 PM
  #7
Al Smith
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 1,137
vCash: 500
I realize these are all first rounders, but given the love that Harrington gets around here, shoiuld he be included in this also?

Al Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:56 PM
  #8
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens
 
Le Magnifique 66's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,435
vCash: 500
Not sure who ends up being a bust but not thing is for sure Pouliot is the one that's going to have the most pressure

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:43 PM
  #9
Rowdy Roddy Peeper
Spreadin Cheer;Mumps
 
Rowdy Roddy Peeper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 44,257
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Smith View Post
I realize these are all first rounders, but given the love that Harrington gets around here, shoiuld he be included in this also?
No, because there's clearly no chance he busts.

Rowdy Roddy Peeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:48 PM
  #10
Darth Vitale
Moderator
Transitional Period
 
Darth Vitale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Victoryville
Country: United States
Posts: 25,628
vCash: 500
Why does this poll exist... seriously? Common. I've had just about enough of everyone's neg-head downer **** when it comes to our D prospects and their non-forward status. Let's let them all play at least one season in the NHL before we try to prognostic who will become a smudge of excrement on piece of tissue that's floating among a million gallons of sewage as it surges out to sea. (see also: thumbprint on a skyscraper)


Darth Vitale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:49 PM
  #11
Ominous Grey
Registered User
 
Ominous Grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 3,119
vCash: 500
Despres for me. His decision making has always been questionable for me.

Pouliot/Maata is a reasonable choice, seeing as they both have a lot of development to go. But Despres just has never looked as good as his days with the Sea Dogs. He's been underwhelming for me.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:49 PM
  #12
Big McLargehuge
Global Moderator
HFBoards: Night's Watch
 
Big McLargehuge's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Los Angeles
Country: Iceland
Posts: 55,666
vCash: 500
All depends on what your definition of bust would be.

Despres probably isn't going to be a special player, but he's already looking like a NHL defender and should be counted on to be a #4 guy fairly soon.
Pouliot has probably the highest ceiling and lowest floor of the bunch, so he sorta wins by my definition by default.
Morrow's game has been tweaked and it all depends on how he builds on that...it's hard to read into his play this year because of how much is changing yet...but there is a very real chance that he doesn't take to things.
Määttä is a pretty safe prospect in my eyes, even though he's far from NHL-ready...but like Despres he probably doesn't have much of a shot of being a legitimate first pairing guy. He just has such a quietly efficient game that I can't see him struggling to adapt to the pro game. Mind you I was adamant that Määttä would be a top 10 pick before the draft, so obviously I've thought highly of him for a while.

Pouliot has the highest chance of busting of the group...but I really don't think he's going to bust. I do believe all four of these guys are going to be solid NHL defenders...just probably not all playing up to their ceilings. I'm voting Despres just because his decision-making worries me. I can see that putting him into a career as a great third pairing/okay second pairing guy.

__________________
“The most terrifying fact about the universe is not that it is hostile, but that it is indifferent. If we can come to terms with this indifference and accept the challenges of life within the boundaries of death, our existence as a species can have genuine meaning and fulfillment. However vast the darkness, we must supply our own light.” - Stanley Kubrick
http://sprites.pokecheck.org/i/054.gif

Last edited by Big McLargehuge: 01-17-2013 at 10:55 PM.
Big McLargehuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:50 PM
  #13
Ominous Grey
Registered User
 
Ominous Grey's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: United States
Posts: 3,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowdy Roddy Peeper View Post
No, because there's clearly no chance he busts.
He's more of a lock to be a long-term NHLer than any of them (minus maybe Morrow). His skillset will translate well...even he doesn't peak and if it's as a 6th defenseman. He's incredibly versatile.

Ominous Grey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:56 PM
  #14
Tasty Biscuits
with fancy sauce
 
Tasty Biscuits's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,742
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancellor Vitale View Post
Why does this poll exist... seriously? Common. I've had just about enough of everyone's neg-head downer **** when it comes to our D prospects and their non-forward status. Let's let them all play at least one season in the NHL before we try to prognostic who will become a smudge of excrement on piece of tissue that's floating among a million gallons of sewage as it surges out to sea. (see also: thumbprint on a skyscraper)
Sideways... yes. What a great movie. Kudos to your good sir for the reference

Tasty Biscuits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:04 AM
  #15
mgd525
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
maata. Nothing on him really stands out. DP has a chance for well but he looks like if nothing else he will have a future as a number 5 or 6 pp QB worst case.

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:23 AM
  #16
Black Label
Registered User
 
Black Label's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: København
Country: Denmark
Posts: 1,862
vCash: 500
I won't buy into all the negativity about our prospects. The only one I've really see play a lot is Määttä since I've seen him play quite a bit for Finland. The whole Finnish team kind of flopped this year, and he didn't look stellar by any means, but even if he never makes it as a top pairing defenseman I can see him cracking an NHL roster. He plays a very understated game that flies under the radar. Guys like Määttä are needed on every D corps in the league. I actually think he is the safest bet to have a long career in the NHL out of all of our prospects. I don't think he has top pairing potential or anything, but he could be a solid 3-4 Defenseman for years.

Black Label is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:26 AM
  #17
ColePens
Global Moderator
Your Savior
 
ColePens's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 34,799
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to ColePens
This is a difficult question. I can eliminate Morrow/Despres because I think they could both be on the roster now and only have room to grow. I would say they are everything as advertised, if not more.

The other two are just drafted so we still have quite a ways to go.

ColePens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:38 AM
  #18
Dangles78
Registered User
 
Dangles78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: United States
Posts: 732
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgd525 View Post
maata. Nothing on him really stands out. DP has a chance for well but he looks like if nothing else he will have a future as a number 5 or 6 pp QB worst case.
This post screams "I've never seen either of these players".

Maatta is having a fine year. However, I don't think his defensive game has progressed this year, but his offensive potential is showing a little more. This was something scouts questioned.

I've seen plenty (and I mean plenty) of Maatta the last couple of years.

The fact that you say nothing stands out about him doesn't mean he is the most likely to bust. Everyone knows that he doesn't have one area that he excels at. He's a steady, yet a raw player. His hockey IQ alone will allow him to become a top-4 defender. Hopefully he establishes more of a physical game to his repertoire.

As for DePo...sure the worst case is he'll become a MA Bergeron but his hockey IQ and defensive instincts suggest otherwise. This kid is strong and defensively sound. He's just not complete. He will never punish the opposition, but I'm confident he'll piss off other players like Lids did.

You can be an effective defender by playing only a positional game.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:10 AM
  #19
jmelm
HFBoards Sponsor
 
jmelm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Toronto, Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,705
vCash: 500
Maatta or Despres. They both worry me equally because of their bone-head decisions at times. Despres has more size, but Maatta has more offense, well-rounded game, and unquestionable work ethic.


Maatta has done a hell of a lot for a person of his age, but at the same time, I'm not sure if he'll ever be able to excell at the highest of levels as he moves up the pro ranks, and may get just destroyed by high-end opponents.


I guess we'll see very soon on Despres, as the Pens are putting him into sink or swim mode right now, whether his play really merits it or not. We'll have to wait longer to find that out about Maatta, however.

jmelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:14 AM
  #20
SkullSplitter
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Pittsburgh
Posts: 4,845
vCash: 500
I voted for the last one just to be a pessimist.

SkullSplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:18 AM
  #21
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!
 
Ugene Malkin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Pittsburgh
Country: Germany
Posts: 21,836
vCash: 500
It could end up taking 6/7 seasons before we get the final results.


Can we just have them play musical chairs for us?

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:53 AM
  #22
mgd525
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Country: United States
Posts: 1,143
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangles78 View Post
This post screams "I've never seen either of these players".

Maatta is having a fine year. However, I don't think his defensive game has progressed this year, but his offensive potential is showing a little more. This was something scouts questioned.

I've seen plenty (and I mean plenty) of Maatta the last couple of years.

The fact that you say nothing stands out about him doesn't mean he is the most likely to bust. Everyone knows that he doesn't have one area that he excels at. He's a steady, yet a raw player. His hockey IQ alone will allow him to become a top-4 defender. Hopefully he establishes more of a physical game to his repertoire.

As for DePo...sure the worst case is he'll become a MA Bergeron but his hockey IQ and defensive instincts suggest otherwise. This kid is strong and defensively sound. He's just not complete. He will never punish the opposition, but I'm confident he'll piss off other players like Lids did.

You can be an effective defender by playing only a positional game.
Lol, in your post everything you said is exactly why I would bet on DP having somekind of a long career over Maata. DP has a very unique skill set. That will give him a better chance to stick in the league since his downside is just a PP QB. I'm not saying that's all he will be or that Maata isn't going to be a good NHLer. I know Maata is good positionaly and is a smart player, but so are alot of players. Get what i'm saying ? Not many players at all have DP's ability to run a pp. So if both go to worst case imo DP will still be an nhler for that fact.

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:33 PM
  #23
Sidney the Kidney
Injured Reserve
 
Sidney the Kidney's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Country: Canada
Posts: 14,754
vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Not sure who ends up being a bust but not thing is for sure Pouliot is the one that's going to have the most pressure
I'd agree with this, especially with the hoopla over where the Pens drafted Pouliot. Fair or not, I think Pouliot will have to turn into a legitimate top pairing PP QB to avoid being considered a disappointment, whereas the others can simply be "good" players and still not be considered bad picks.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:57 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. ©2014 All Rights Reserved.