HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Alex Galchenyuk Thread 9.0 - #Goldchenyuk Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 09:37 PM
Passchendaele

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Good lord, if you can find me an example or two of a player who was hurt by spending too much time in junior, go right ahead.

The list of teenagers rushed into the NHL who never turned into what they were touted to become is quite long though.
If the season had started in October, I would've agreed with the idea of sending him back to junior, considering he had not played much in over a year. But as of january 2013, I doubt he could have performed better than he did over the last few months.

Remember, some 18 year old recorded 7 points in 55 games, playing 4th line minutes in his rookie season and won a scoring championship eight years later.

Some bum named Steven Stamkos scored 4 goals in his first 41 NHL games. Turned out alright I'd say.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:45 PM
Erik Estrada
One Country United!

There's what's best for Galchenyuk's development... I'm neutral and it's a case by case consideration. But Fact: under 20 is almost always too young to play in the NHL. Even players with HOF carreers underperformed at that age...Giants like Couturier and Grigorenko have a leg up because they can compensate their lack of thickness and loss of time and space by being a full head taller than everyone... The jump from the Junior game is huge...

Then there's Habs management/coaching that want to win... The Habs are a couple of injuries away from the team that finished 28th last season. The poor PP and ShO were directly responsible for several losses... Maybe Therrien and Bergevin, don't mind a Stamkos-like first season for Galchenyuk, if it means not finishing bottom-3.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:46 PM
Montreal Impact FC
.:| Champ's City |:.

If for some reason gally doesnt stay beyond the 5 games because he isnt ready i would first understand and respect the decision and secondly would enjoy a lot better the tank specially without peekay... i would feel bad a little for patches eller and pricey but hey... if next year we can have a mckinnon with a more mature galchenyuk i wouldnt complaint.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:52 PM
deandebean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
Good lord, if you can find me an example or two of a player who was hurt by spending too much time in junior, go right ahead.

The list of teenagers rushed into the NHL who never turned into what they were touted to become is quite long though.

In my estimation, to stay beyond 5 games and burn the first year of his ELC for a half season of hockey, he must play at a higher level than just ''blending in''.
The list is long but guys as talented and committed as him are rare. The kid's got the attitude. He needs to stay. Sarnia is a bad situation. And he's obviously too strong for the OHL. If he proves his worth come the first games, he stays.

He cannot play with Eller though.He will need the tutoring of a vet. Lars is too 'all over the place'.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:55 PM
HabsPassion

Back from the game, just gonna add my two cents.

Well, Alex was relatively quiet tonight. Not that he looked out of place, but he seemed in practice mode. He had a few good plays, and a few turnovers in the neutral zone. His speed seems OK, nothing flamboyant but his first step acceleration does need a little work. Also, he is big. He is at least 6"1, but he did get knocked off the puck when going in the corner against Commodore a couple times during the game. A little disappointed that he did not use his incredible shot, as I do not even think he took one SOG. I do agree that little emphasis should be put on the game in evaluating his skill level, and I'm sure he was nervous. I look forward to see what he will do on Saturday against the Leafs.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:01 PM
HabsProspectsExpert
Artturi Lehkonen

Back from the game!

Just wanna say that it is clear that Galchenyuk is not used to play on the wing, when entering in the offensive zone he was ALWAYS cutting in the middle! Need more adjustement.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:05 PM
Marc the Habs Fan
Ours!

vCash: 597
Quote:
Originally Posted by Passchendaele View Post
If the season had started in October, I would've agreed with the idea of sending him back to junior, considering he had not played much in over a year. But as of january 2013, I doubt he could have performed better than he did over the last few months.

Remember, some 18 year old recorded 7 points in 55 games, playing 4th line minutes in his rookie season and won a scoring championship eight years later.

Some bum named Steven Stamkos scored 4 goals in his first 41 NHL games. Turned out alright I'd say.
There's definitely a case that can be made to keep Gally up. I won't deny that.

To say sending him down is foolish is what I disagree with. Even when you look beyond the ELC/service time stuff. There are always things a player can work on. I think Alex is smart enough and is clearly dedicated enough to further round out his game in the remaining OHL action this season after the WJC and this taste of the NHL.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:07 PM
Gourou

I dont know if he plays like this in sarnia but today and in the WJC when he had the puck he always looked to make a quick pass to someone and doesnt control the puck or shoot. I guess with time, confidence an and experience he'll try to carry the play more and show is other skills than only passing. Anyway I think he looks like he can play in the NHL.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:14 PM
HankyZetts
Twi2ted

Wondering how some of you guys come to your conclusions? Galchenyuk skates really well, he moves fast out there. Looked a little tentative, but that's not surprising, made a lot of really nice plays defensively and a few beautiful plays offensively. This kid is really, really good. Very excited to see him with Plekanec and off the leash against the Leafs Saturday.

Oh, got to meet all the players before the scrimmage which was awesome! I told Plekanec to make sure and take care of Gally for us, he laughed. I don't think he knows how serious I was being!

Old
01-17-2013, 10:36 PM
Ra
satan is my homie

Put yourself in his shoes. You've been dreaming about something for 10-15 years and you finally get it. How would you feel? And he has been playing with NHL players for only a few days. And he's got to make new friends, learn how to live "alone", etc etc...

He might be really gifted and a fast learner but you have to give him some time (on and off the ice).

And I prefer he goes through all that this year (Montreal pressure, late playoff push, the frenzy if we get in, see all the new cities, learn the other players) so when he'll come back next year he'll be much more ready to play a 82 games season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gourou View Post
I dont know if he plays like this in sarnia but today and in the WJC when he had the puck he always looked to make a quick pass to someone and doesnt control the puck or shoot. I guess with time, confidence an and experience he'll try to carry the play more and show is other skills than only passing. Anyway I think he looks like he can play in the NHL.
Good point. And the way he asked Plekanec to helps him, it shows that he's a little bit intimidated by all that.

Anyway, after 5 games in Sarnia it was the end of the world, he was about to go back to Junior B

Old
01-17-2013, 11:08 PM
Jakomyte

I think some people have different views of what him being 'ready' means.

Being 'ready' doesn't necessarily mean he's going to light up the league right away. Being 'ready' likely means he can keep up and learn at the NHL level, not to put up lots of points this year, but more as experience for the future. I think the Habs brass are thinking that keeping him now will make him more prepared for the start of NEXT season compared to sending him back to Sarnia and having him come in fresh next year. What would cause him to be sent back down was if he wasn't able to play well enough to have a regular shift, which doesn't seem like a problem to me...

Old
01-17-2013, 11:28 PM
Dharvey33

18 years old people should temper their expectations a bit, i think he can contribute well now but he will need time to adjust to nhl level that's certain.

Players like Sheifeile, Strome, Huberdeau were sent off to juniors at 18 that doesn't mean they are bust, every case is different plus the pressure in mtl is something else than in edmonton were the young guys are let lose for the better or the worse.

If Gally seems a year away after the trial so be it, if he proves he can play then let him stay. One thing is sure he has the skills, the maturity and the size to play at a high level in the nhl someday.

May it be this year or next year he is going to be a succesfull nhl player someday.

Last edited by Dharvey33: 01-17-2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old
01-17-2013, 11:43 PM
Teufelsdreck

I'm thankful that board members generally don't inflate Galchenyuk to the size of a huge parade float they way some posters do with PK.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:47 PM
Lafleurs Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsPassion View Post
Back from the game, just gonna add my two cents.

Well, Alex was relatively quiet tonight. Not that he looked out of place, but he seemed in practice mode. He had a few good plays, and a few turnovers in the neutral zone. His speed seems OK, nothing flamboyant but his first step acceleration does need a little work. Also, he is big. He is at least 6"1, but he did get knocked off the puck when going in the corner against Commodore a couple times during the game. A little disappointed that he did not use his incredible shot, as I do not even think he took one SOG. I do agree that little emphasis should be put on the game in evaluating his skill level, and I'm sure he was nervous. I look forward to see what he will do on Saturday against the Leafs.
So it's confirmed that he's playing against the Leafs?

Now I really have to see that game.

I'd still prefer he develop in the minors this season though.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:48 PM
muzion

Did he get to play center in the 2nd period as Therrien said on l'Antichambre?

Old
01-18-2013, 12:01 AM
FireBergevin
ultimate warrior

Anyone else notice the behind the back pass to Gionta on a give & go in tight? It was a bit dangerous but damn how he got it back to Gionta so quick when he couldn't see him I'll never know.

I also liked his positioning on the Kaberle goal. Kid's got the wherewithal to check BEHIND the goalie to see if it squeezed through but he was also in position to get the loose puck in front.

He showed VERY quick hands & a goalscorer's positioning. That's all I really wanted to see of him tonight.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:20 AM
expy

Took a few shots of him tonight at the open house game:

Old
01-18-2013, 01:07 AM
dackelljuneaubulis02

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakomyte View Post
I think some people have different views of what him being 'ready' means.

Being 'ready' doesn't necessarily mean he's going to light up the league right away. Being 'ready' likely means he can keep up and learn at the NHL level, not to put up lots of points this year, but more as experience for the future. I think the Habs brass are thinking that keeping him now will make him more prepared for the start of NEXT season compared to sending him back to Sarnia and having him come in fresh next year. What would cause him to be sent back down was if he wasn't able to play well enough to have a regular shift, which doesn't seem like a problem to me...
This this this. I think the NHL experience this year will help him more than Sarnia will. The half NHL season to me is very ideal for him to have his rookies season. I don't think he'll put up great numbers but he'll definitely learn a lot and find ways to contribute in his own way.

Barring him looking bad in his 5 games I think he should definitely stay.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:24 AM
GalHabsGal

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzion View Post
Did he get to play center in the 2nd period as Therrien said on l'Antichambre?
I don't think he played center at all on the second period!!! (was listening the game at 98.5 and McGuire never tell us about a change of position).

Old
01-18-2013, 06:47 AM
Leo Getz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Estrada View Post
There's what's best for Galchenyuk's development... I'm neutral and it's a case by case consideration. But Fact: under 20 is almost always too young to play in the NHL. Even players with HOF carreers underperformed at that age...Giants like Couturier and Grigorenko have a leg up because they can compensate their lack of thickness and loss of time and space by being a full head taller than everyone... The jump from the Junior game is huge...

Then there's Habs management/coaching that want to win... The Habs are a couple of injuries away from the team that finished 28th last season. The poor PP and ShO were directly responsible for several losses... Maybe Therrien and Bergevin, don't mind a Stamkos-like first season for Galchenyuk, if it means not finishing bottom-3.
Presumably then, even underperforming in the NHL at a young age did not hurt their development.

Does he have to come in scoring like gangbusters for the NHL experience to be a beneficial one.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:49 AM
lostriver

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueberry View Post
Is it just me or does Galchenyuk seem slow. Everytime I see him he seems to be a sluggish skater. Same at the WJ. I love the kid and have heard he's fast but he sure doen't seem to be. He sort of just floats around and only seems to react when he gets the puck.
must be that "russian style" Price was talking about

Old
01-18-2013, 07:11 AM
RC51

look I know we all want Galchenyuk now but really? you have to know he will be a hab starting next September. this would give MB time to fix a lot of things first.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:40 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC51 View Post
look I know we all want Galchenyuk now but really? you have to know he will be a hab starting next September. this would give MB time to fix a lot of things first.
How about they start with the 5 games they're allowed to give the rookie and take it from there

Old
01-18-2013, 07:47 AM
ClasslessGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Habs 4 Life View Post
How about they start with the 5 games they're allowed to give the rookie and take it from there
This is the way to go.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:52 AM
PunkinDrublic*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montreal Impact FC View Post
If for some reason gally doesnt stay beyond the 5 games because he isnt ready i would first understand and respect the decision and secondly would enjoy a lot better the tank specially without peekay... i would feel bad a little for patches eller and pricey but hey... if next year we can have a mckinnon with a more mature galchenyuk i wouldnt complaint.
Am i the only that is sick and tired of hearing about this crap ? Seriously ?

Closed Thread