General Sports Other sports without their own forum, and general sports talk

2013 Australian Open

Old
01-17-2013, 01:20 AM
kihei

vCash: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deficient Mode View Post
Lu is a less conservative player than Monfils, weapons or not.
Not much evidence to support that contention in this match.

kihei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:27 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by kihei View Post
Not much evidence to support that contention in this match.
Maybe I've watched non-representative segments of the match, I don't know, but it has always been true in the past. Not hitting a big ball does not equal being conservative. Lu at least tries to work points to an error from his opponent or his own winner. Monfils has never cared to build points and even now is often content to rally crosscourt indefinitely.

Deficient Mode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:32 AM
kihei

Quote:
Maybe I've watched non-representative segments of the match, I don't know, but it has always been true in the past. Not hitting a big ball does not equal being conservative. Lu at least tries to work points to an error from his opponent or his own winner. Monfils has never cared to build points and even now is often content to rally crosscourt indefinitely.
Funny thing, I thought before his injury that he was becoming a somewhat more aggressive player and that it looked good on him, but he seems back to square one in this match. Lu does look a little more lively this set, perhaps because he smells blood....and I was writing this, there goes the set.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:33 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Lu takes the second set 6-4. Well-deserved after those last couple of games.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:37 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Funny thing, I thought before his injury that he was becoming a somewhat more aggressive player and that it looked good on him, but he seems back to square one in this match. Lu does look a little more lively this set, perhaps because he smells blood.
I didn't watch too much of him in Auckland or Doha except for the disastrous match against Ferrer (where he got injured early and loped through the rest of the match - is that the injury to which you refer?) but when I did see him it looked like he was making better use of his big ground strokes. Not so much here.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:38 AM
kihei

Wonder if Filppula is attending any of these days.

Whoops, missed the question the first time through. No, I meant the injury that knocked him out for four months after Nice. Shoulder, maybe?

Last edited by kihei: 01-17-2013 at 01:49 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 01:50 AM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Wonder if Filppula is attending any of these days.
Wonder if he has jumped back on the Tomic bandwagon. Probably.

Old
01-17-2013, 01:55 AM
kihei

Yikes. Took a brief break to make popcorn and play with the cat, and, snap, Gael's down 4-love...um, make that 6-0. On his form tonight I can't imagine Monfils mounting a comeback. He doesn't seem to have his head in the match at all.

Monfils would appear back from the dead after all, a break up in the fourth....feasted on Lu's second serve and found some energy, 6-1. In the final game he broke Lu after 15+ minutes.

Monfils may be over the hump, damn hard to say with any confidence, though....gets an early break for 2-1 and seems to be holding his newfound form...as Monfils made a habit of doing in the first round, he loses serve on a double fault; the upsy, downsy match continues, 3-3 in the fifth....Monfils breaks for 7-6 in the fifth, a service game away from winning the match despite 18 double faults...and, get this, despite his 19th, 20th, 21st, 22nd, and 23rd double faults, Gael holds for the match. Not a thing of beauty tonight.

I think Monfils plays Simon next, who hasn't been considerably slower getting out of the gate than even Gael so far this tournament. Still, Monfils will have to play far better and more consistent tennis against Gilles if he is going to stay in this tournament.

I suppose it would be too much to ask to have Davydenko actually make a match out of it....straightforward first set for Roger, easy second set, and up a break in the third. Didn't watch much of it, but the set scores make the match look closer than it was.

Del Potro over Becker in straight sets with the loss of only eight games.

Last edited by kihei: 01-17-2013 at 04:06 AM.
Old
01-17-2013, 03:55 AM
kihei

The women have almost all the good matches tomorrow.

V Williams/Sharapova
Watson/A Radwanska
Ivanovic/Jankovic
Bartoli/Makarova

only really tempting men's match for me is

Almagro/Janowicz

Old
01-17-2013, 06:18 AM
Tuggy

Well nice win for Raonic. Definitely a tougher match ahead against Kohlschreiber.

Tuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:48 AM
mightyquack
Rekordtorschütze!

vCash: 500
That Monfils game was ridiculous.

He literally just lost all his energy towards end of the 2nd set and in the 3rd set, then suddenly came back to life.

Always a fun ride with Monfils

mightyquack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

Fantastic come-back from Laura Robson to beat Petra Kvitova 2-6 6-3 11-9.

Faces Sloane Stephens next. How many points will she get for getting to the third round? Just seen that it's 160 points.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:50 PM
MsWoof

vCash: 500
http://www.tenniscanada.com/index.ph...IT-UP&pid=4325

Quote:
Court 13 (above) was not exactly where Milos Raonic hoped to play his second-round match on Thursday at the Australian Open. But he made the best of it, coming through with a 7-6(2), 6-2, 6-3 win over Lukas Rosol, the Czech who played surreal tennis to upset Rafael Nadal at Wimbledon last year.
It gives a bit more insight into the match since none of us was able to watch it. After his first match, Tebbutt was the only reporter in the media room so this was a bit of an upgrade.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Duckworth-Kavcic approaching five hours, and in this kind of weather too. Not a ton of cheap points either from what I've seen.

Finally Kavcic wins 10-8 in the fifth on his fifth match point.
Apparently Kavcic went into shock after this match.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:29 PM
HajdukSplit

vCash: 332
they showed the 5th set on ESPN (Kavcic v. Duckworth)...Duckworth could barely walk yet alone run (cramping like crazy) but he was aided by a big serve. Kavcic was tight and should have won the set earlier (Duckworth saved something like 5-6 match points earlier in the set)

HajdukSplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 07:47 PM
kihei

Radwanska looked terrific creaming Watson, 6-3, 6-1. Agnieszka has added some much needed offense to her game. Her serve looks a bit more powerful (she had six aces), she is putting more pace on her groundstrokes on occasion, and she ventured to the net two dozen times, though with mixed success as she has yet to learn the difference between a good approach shot and a bad approach shot. I definitely like her chances to go deep in the tournament.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:33 PM
Alklha

Ivanović plays well beating Janković. Janković's inability to force her to serve the match out means there isn't a lot to take out of the match though.

Radwańska in the next round, which already looks like it'll be the best match of the round.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:09 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Benneteau wins an unremarkable first set over Tipsarevic 6-3. Janko had a bit of bad luck getting broken - a combination of a lack of focus from making several challenges in a short span and what looked like an untimely and unexpected burst of wind - and Benneteau managed to hold from there. The only discernible tactic from Benneteau has been looping high, unpenetrating forehands to Tipsy's backhand. He has drawn a number of errors that way. Nothing special so far.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Nothing but easy holds so far in Almagro-Janowicz. 3-2. Not surprising considering who's serving. The handful of Polish fans have been just as vocal today.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:10 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

vCash: 966
Nole up two sets to none. Had a little bit of trouble with passing shots against Stepanek earlier, but played an excellent 8th game of the second set.

Novak Djokovic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:24 PM
kihei

Well played tie breaker gives Almagro the first set. I thought he was really tired as the year wore down. He looks back to being a tough cookie to play in what little of the match that I have seen so far.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:24 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Good first set of tennis. 7-3 in the tiebreak to Almagro. Jerzy did well to take it that far after he dropped to 0-40 at *5-6. He had a couple of slight openings on Almagro's serve in the middle of the breaker but was too tentative with his backhand.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:29 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Quote:
Well played tie breaker gives Almagro the first set. I thought he was really tired as the year wore down. He looks back to being a tough cookie to play in what little of the match that I have seen so far.
Not sure about that. He has always had mediocre results on hard courts relative to his talent.

Benneteau up two sets to one on Tipsarevic.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:46 PM
kihei

Quote:
Not sure about that. He has always had mediocre results on hard courts relative to his talent.

Benneteau up two sets to one on Tipsarevic.
You're not sure I thought he was tired as the year wore down? I did, I did. Could not both things possibly be true at the same time--he has a history of bad results and he was tired? Would the word "pedantic" apply to somebody here? Sheesh.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:55 PM
Deficient Mode
Put me on the field

Nope, the word "pedantic" does not apply here. It's not pedantic to contend that he just isn't that great on hard courts instead of being tired. That's not really a petty distinction. You'll find he had similar results in previous years. I also generally don't like the cop out for some of these top guys to say they're tired at the end of the year, especially when it's a top player like Almagro whose mediocre results extend all the way back to the end of the clay season. It's not the first time you've used it either.