HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Blackhawks - Season Starting Roster

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 11:00 PM
  #826
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 20,881
vCash: 1625
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post


Carcillo, to my surprise, admittedly, played very well in the top-six before the ACL tear. The Hawks' record with in the lineup versus him in the lineup was not quite the same. He did a lot of the dirty work, potted a few, and actually was distributing some quality passes. My only problem with Carcillo is the fact that he can be over aggressive. I love edgy guys that play with sandpaper. They just need to have self-control.
Why does Joe Flacco need to be in this thread?

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:01 PM
  #827
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Does no one remember how the Hawks were arguably the best team in the league until right before Carcillo went down? He'll be just fine wherever they slot him.
Look four posts up from this one.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:01 PM
  #828
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
Why does Joe Flacco need to be in this thread?

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:08 PM
  #829
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'
 
IU Hawks fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: No longer IU
Country: United States
Posts: 18,246
vCash: 772
Quote:
Originally Posted by brtriad View Post
Does no one remember how the Hawks were arguably the best team in the league until right before Carcillo went down? He'll be just fine wherever they slot him.
I do.

It's one of the major reasons I still feel this team is a Cup contender despite no major moves. The team that ended the season wasn't quite the same team that was 1st to 50 points.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:17 PM
  #830
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 500
I really think this team will surge when they get on a home stretch. With virtually no TC, familiarity will be key in the beginning.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:27 PM
  #831
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,158
vCash: 500
Since when did Dan Carcillo make the difference between "serious Cup contender" and "early round fodder?"

The season is 82 games for a reason. Hawks were great in the first half, not so much in the second half. It just so happened that Carcillo was out for most of the latter - that doesn't mean his injury was the cause of the Hawks fall in the standings and quick exit from the playoffs.

This year it's 48 games, of course. But the best teams prove themselves in the playoffs, and we have already seen this edition of the Hawks twice over show us what they are.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:30 PM
  #832
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Since when did Dan Carcillo make the difference between "serious Cup contender" and "early round fodder?"

The season is 82 games for a reason. Hawks were great in the first half, not so much in the second half. It just so happened that Carcillo was out for most of the latter - that doesn't mean his injury was the cause of the Hawks fall in the standings and quick exit from the playoffs.

This year it's 48 games, of course. But the best teams prove themselves in the playoffs, and we have already seen this edition of the Hawks twice over show us what they are.
You think Carcillo going down and us struggling after was a coincidence, eh?

Probably brought the moral down on top of the offensive production. I don't think the Hawks win or go to the SCF with Carcillo in the lineup, but he did make a difference at least in the regular season. I gave him no respect when he first came, but the guy really has grown on me. He just has to play under control and play with an edge and some sandpaper rather than dirtiness.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:35 PM
  #833
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
You think Carcillo going down and us struggling after was a coincidence, eh?

Probably brought the moral down on top of the offensive production. I don't think the Hawks win or go to the SCF with Carcillo in the lineup, but he did make a difference at least in the regular season. I gave him no respect when he first came, but the guy really has grown on me. He just has to play under control and play with an edge and some sandpaper rather than dirtiness.
It just seems like an inanely weak excuse for a blatantly flawed team to me. Carcillo makes no real difference in the team's inability to play in their own zone or Crawford/Emery's laughable ineptitude at stopping the puck.

Plus, if a player who ideally belongs on a fourth line makes that much of a difference, I think there are some serious questions to be asked about a team. There should be a number of the guys waiting in the wings ready to offer what he does.

Carcillo grew on me too, but I can't buy into the suggestion that losing him caused Chicago to go so badly downhill (relatively speaking, given all of our expectations) during the second half of the season and bow out pretty easily in the spring.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:48 PM
  #834
MurrayBannerman
BBall ATD Champion
 
MurrayBannerman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: 219
Country: United States
Posts: 20,881
vCash: 1625
If Carcillo doesn't go down, I bet we don't drop 9 in a row. Which probably would have pushed us into the top 4 seeds.

MurrayBannerman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:54 PM
  #835
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,158
vCash: 500
And maybe they lose a few extra games from a bad Carcillo penalty that they won with him injured.

Arguments from hypotheticality are easily countered just like that.
But in the end an essentially average grinder doesn't make the kind of difference in the first place that some seem to believe.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:03 AM
  #836
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,464
vCash: 500
When was the last time we had a shutout?

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:05 AM
  #837
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by deytookerjaabs View Post
When was the last time we had a shutout?
March 23rd, 2011. At home against the Panthers.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2010021099


Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:08 AM
  #838
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
March 23rd, 2011. At home against the Panthers.

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/recap.htm?id=2010021099

Yep, that hurts.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:09 AM
  #839
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 500
On my phone and didn't click the link.

Wasn't that the 4-0 game?

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:14 AM
  #840
Chris Hansen
Team Tyrion
 
Chris Hansen's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 10,158
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
On my phone and didn't click the link.

Wasn't that the 4-0 game?
Yes Raffi.

Chris Hansen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:16 AM
  #841
deytookerjaabs
Registered Smut User
 
deytookerjaabs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Chicago
Posts: 5,464
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
On my phone and didn't click the link.

Wasn't that the 4-0 game?
Yessir. I vaguely recall a game last year where I thought we might get the shutout and then Crow let in two softies real late in the third, might have been against Columbus.

deytookerjaabs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:18 AM
  #842
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MurrayBannerman View Post
If Carcillo doesn't go down, I bet we don't drop 9 in a row. Which probably would have pushed us into the top 4 seeds.
And I bet if Toews doesn't miss 22 games we would have obtained 2 more points and been a 4 seed.

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:27 AM
  #843
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor
 
xX Hot Fuss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 10,399
vCash: 500
I bet if nobody ever got injured we'd win the cup every year

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:31 AM
  #844
massivegoonery
Registered User
 
massivegoonery's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 11,318
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cullksinikers View Post
You think Carcillo going down and us struggling after was a coincidence, eh?
Yes, of course.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:41 AM
  #845
Illinihockey
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Posts: 14,117
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by xX Hot Fuss View Post
I bet if nobody ever got injured we'd win the cup every year
There's quite a difference between saying nobody got hurt and having one of the 5 best players in the league missing 25% of the season. When Toews got hurt I believe he was 3rd in the league in scoring (behind Giroux and Malkin).

Illinihockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:46 AM
  #846
Ace Rothstein
Aces High
 
Ace Rothstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Country: United States
Posts: 3,038
vCash: 547
Quote:
Originally Posted by IU Hawks fan View Post
I do.

It's one of the major reasons I still feel this team is a Cup contender despite no major moves. The team that ended the season wasn't quite the same team that was 1st to 50 points.
They did have a very good start but I do recall that the scheduled was heavily front-loaded and that the Hawks played 4-5 more games than most of the other teams in the league at that point, mainly the other teams with good records.

Ace Rothstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:08 AM
  #847
99 steps
to the top
 
99 steps's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: RV, IL
Country: United States
Posts: 2,823
vCash: 500
is Carcillo suspended to start the year, leftover from the Oilers hit?

99 steps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:10 AM
  #848
UsernameWasTaken
Let's Go Blue Jays!
 
UsernameWasTaken's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Toronto
Country: Canada
Posts: 15,712
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 99 steps View Post
is Carcillo suspended to start the year, leftover from the Oilers hit?
no .

UsernameWasTaken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:31 AM
  #849
Blue Liner
Registered User
 
Blue Liner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Chicago
Country: United States
Posts: 4,284
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Hansen View Post
Carcillo grew on me too, but I can't buy into the suggestion that losing him caused Chicago to go so badly downhill (relatively speaking, given all of our expectations) during the second half of the season and bow out pretty easily in the spring.
I'm as big a Carcillo supporter as anyone and I agree with this. It was a tough loss, tougher than some may want to admit, but him going down alone did not completely bring the team down and cause the end result. Lot of other issues at hand there that we've all covered and debated extensively and continue to.

Blue Liner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:35 AM
  #850
Cullksinikers
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: 'Merica
Country: United States
Posts: 14,461
vCash: 500
I don't think Carcillo back makes us much more of a Cup contender, but I say they would have won a couple more games with him in the lineup. The Hawks would have been a higher seed and still would have been exposed.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.