HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The History of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The History of Hockey Relive great moments in hockey history and discuss how the game has changed over time.

What if the US lost to Finland in 1980?

Old
01-17-2013, 11:50 AM
End on a Hinote
Registered Abuser

vCash: 500
What if the US lost to Finland in 1980?

I was always wondering about how the Americans victory over the Soviet Union in Lake Placid in 1980 would have been impacted had they lost to Finland in their final match.

IIRC, back then the format worked out so that had the US lost, the USSR would still have received the gold.

So how would the media today have viewed the US win? Would it have been just has big and memorable? Would it have been a forgotten upset? Would it still have recieved the same amount of media coverage that it continues to get?

How would a US loss to the Finns have impacted their improbable win over the Soviets?

End on a Hinote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:50 PM
Big Phil

It was a weird format that year, or should I say back then. Had the Americans lost the game then the Soviet upset would have been forgotten. You could argue that the 1980 US Olympic team was the best coached team in hockey history, so I don't think Brooks was letting them lose that one

Big Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:10 AM
nutbar

It would have been quite an upset if Finland had beaten the US, after the Americans beat the Czechoslovaks and Soviets. The Finns at the time were considered only a little better than West Germany and a fourth place for them was considered pretty good.

I think if the US had beaten the Soviets but only won the silver in the end, the team would still likely be remembered more than the 1960 and 1972 US olympic teams, because of the increased press coverage at the time, but not as much as they are.

nutbar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:41 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
I still get goosebumps and get emtional watching replays of that game against the USSR. There was no way they were going to lose to Finland even tho like pretty much every other game they had to come back from down 2-1 after 2 to win.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote