HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Armchair GM Thread - Part XXXI - Nobody Loves Raymond Edition

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 07:08 PM
PG Canuck

vCash: 53
Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Tim Connolly on waivers eh...
Shouldn't even consider him.

Old
01-17-2013, 07:52 PM
Proto

vCash: 833
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
I just don't see any readily available better option.
There isn't, because Gillis had a lousy summer after signing the nice Garrison contract. That was sort of my point, really.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:43 PM
SomeoneGreat

vCash: 500
Canucks are in a hole. Gotta pick up Connolly.

Old
01-17-2013, 08:45 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Shouldn't even consider him.
Considering our injury situation it maaaay make sense in the short term, but yeah the money is too risky.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:34 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeoneGreat View Post
Canucks are in a hole. Gotta pick up Connolly.
We're not desperate to pick up a big cap hit player that is injury prone. Would rather have Schroeder.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timw33 View Post
Considering our injury situation it maaaay make sense in the short term, but yeah the money is too risky.
Would rather Gomez, although he doesn't really want to go to a big market, but I'll tough it out with Ebbett/Schroeder then carry Connolly's cap hit when I don't think he'll bring much to the table.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:35 PM
Scurr
Bear G

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
There isn't, because Gillis had a lousy summer after signing the nice Garrison contract. That was sort of my point, really.
Gillis seemed to put a lot of things on hold waiting on Doan. That would have been such a great signing for this team... it was worth the gamble.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:41 PM
Bleach Clean

Any way this team can get McBain without giving up too much? I hope CAR goes with Sanguenetti instead.

Old
01-17-2013, 09:42 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleach Clean View Post
Any way this team can get McBain without giving up too much? I hope CAR goes with Sanguenetti instead.
If we could get McBain for cheap sure, but otherwise seems pointless to me. We have other issues we need to address, but everyone constantly brings up defensemen. We need to be able to score folks.

Old
01-17-2013, 10:56 PM
timw33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proto View Post
If we had grabbed Schultz as well as Garrison we would've had one hell of a summer.

Too bad about Doan really, he IMO was the final piece kinda guy.

Old
01-17-2013, 11:18 PM
The Horvatian One
228 LBS of Pain

How was Kassian?

Old
01-17-2013, 11:38 PM
StringerBell

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
How was Kassian?
He made some good plays away from the puck but I'd say his game good use a healthy injection of intensity and confidence. Hard to read too much into scrimmages though.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:58 AM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kassian Train View Post
How was Kassian?
Scrimmages with low intensity and no real body play doesn't really help Kass prepare for the season IMO. Was doing little things right, but wasn't standing out from anyone else. Drove the net a few times I believe that led to goals from MayRay.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:57 AM
turkulad

I'm seeing two interesting options on the waiver wire: Nick Johnson from PHX and Mike Santorelli from FLA. Especially Johnson with his 26 points last season in Minnesota seems like a good RW to have around. Phoenix is stacked on wings so them letting him go doesn't say too much about him.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:26 AM
billvanseattle

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkulad View Post
I'm seeing two interesting options on the waiver wire: Nick Johnson from PHX and Mike Santorelli from FLA. Especially Johnson with his 26 points last season in Minnesota seems like a good RW to have around. Phoenix is stacked on wings so them letting him go doesn't say too much about him.
I really don;t see us picking anyone up.

We have

SSB
Booth Kes Higgins
Raymond Schroeder Hansen
Weise Volpatti Maholtra Lapierre Kassian

when everyone is healthy (it could happen)

We will likely trade Luongo at some point and likely get another winger ... I really don't see the need for another 3rd liner in the press box ... now if we can get a legit 1st 2nd line tweener ....

Old
01-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG Canuck View Post
Scrimmages with low intensity and no real body play doesn't really help Kass prepare for the season IMO. Was doing little things right, but wasn't standing out from anyone else. Drove the net a few times I believe that led to goals from MayRay.
Exactly, which is why it's hard to judge the guy. We don't want him running our players or being physical, and he knows that. So while he may have been unintense, he gets a pass. Wait for the start of season to judge him, I'm sure AV realizes this too.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:29 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM- View Post
Also I don't see Ballard being bought out I can see Gillis moving him for a mid draft pick/reclamation project to a team say like the islanders as yes Ballard was unsuccessful here but he is still a decent defender.
Then you trade him. But if you can't I think you have to swallow the buy out because next year this team can't have Alex Edler making what he's really worth and Keith Ballard making $4.2m.

Maybe you deal Ballard for that $2.5m defenseman I've left room for rather than signing a player, but I am guessing the only teams that would want to deal for Ballard probably could not afford to part with any NHL defenders.

Quote:
Also Upshall has a NMC/NTC probably would not waive it just to be bought out. Also a bit much in return for Luongo (I know Gillis wants the world) but it will not be that much imo I think it'll be a 1st or Shore not both with that package and I don't think FLA would move either as this is supposed to be the best draft since 03 and Shore as he arguably projects to be a good 2 way C and him and Matthias are very similiar so don't see them moving both but moving Matthias and keeping Shore.
It's limited so that may not matter, but if Upshall can block a trade then I guess you take another contract Florida wants to unload (Kopecky? I don't know).

Maybe Matthias, Shore and a 1st is too steep but if Florida won't move Shore or a 1st round pick then they can find bank their future on Jacob Markstrom's bum knees I guess.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:39 AM
arsmaster*
semantic romantic

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post
Then you trade him. But if you can't I think you have to swallow the buy out because next year this team can't have Alex Edler making what he's really worth and Keith Ballard making $4.2m.

Maybe you deal Ballard for that $2.5m defenseman I've left room for rather than signing a player, but I am guessing the only teams that would want to deal for Ballard probably could not afford to part with any NHL defenders.

It's limited so that may not matter, but if Upshall can block a trade then I guess you take another contract Florida wants to unload (Kopecky? I don't know).

Maybe Matthias, Shore and a 1st is too steep but if Florida won't move Shore or a 1st round pick then they can find bank their future on Jacob Markstrom's bum knees I guess.
Can't find the post you quoted, but why wouldn't Upshall waive if he is going to get amnesty bought out....gets the full value of his contract and can sign another one, basically goes from making $3.5m/yr to $5-6m/yr with the buyout.

It's like turning down free money.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:42 AM
dave babych returns

Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Can't find the post you quoted, but why wouldn't Upshall waive if he is going to get amnesty bought out....gets the full value of his contract and can sign another one, basically goes from making $3.5m/yr to $5-6m/yr with the buyout.

It's like turning down free money.
It's here, but yeah. Only thing I can think of is a player's pride standing in the way.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:55 AM
CM-

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave babych returns View Post

I see them moving Markstrom if they get Luongo. Also looking up next year's FA crop the only guys I could see at the 2.5 mil range would be Whitney if he is injured again this year and could see a team like Edmonton giving him 4+ mil again (only team he'd probably sign for that low for would be Pittsburgh. or Washed up guys like Regehr. If we are moving Ballard this off-season I think if I were Gillis I would probably bring in Regehr to be a 6/7 alternating with a guy like Connauton or for example a guy like Wishart if we got him in return for Ballard.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:57 AM
struckmatch

News1130 Sports ‏@News1130Sports

Hearing Scot Gomez will sign with a West Coast team. Not alot of fun back East the past few years.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:00 PM
PG Canuck

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post

Hearing Scot Gomez will sign with a West Coast team. Not alot of fun back East the past few years.
I think Anaheim, and Phoenix are teams I can see him going to. Apparently he doesn't want to play in a big market.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:01 PM
PRNuck
Sell the team.

vCash: 833
Quote:

Heard speculation he wants to somewhere he can basically lay low. So not a fishbowl, more like Anaheim.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:02 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Heard speculation he wants to somewhere he can basically lay low. So not a fishbowl, more like Anaheim.
Thank god. Do not want him and his laziness anywhere near this team.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:03 PM
monster_bertuzzi

Quote:

Him sucking probably contributed to his lack of happiness...

Old
01-18-2013, 12:05 PM
struckmatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster_bertuzzi View Post
Him sucking probably contributed to his lack of happiness...
Exactly...he has no one to blame but himself.

I just can't even imagine how bad he would be here...

Closed Thread