HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Gomez for $1 million anybody

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-16-2013, 03:14 PM
  #51
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,151
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I don't feel any better about the Hecht signing than I would about a 1 year/1 mil Gomez signing....
Well... you definitely should..

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:19 PM
  #52
punkr0x
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by zbubble View Post
So yes, the benefit for Montreal buying out Gomez now is they don't get sued for suspension without cause. They can buy him out and let him walk, or face a lawsuit with some undetermined penalty. I think they made the wise choice here.
Couldn't they just make him a healthy scratch? He's not really suspended exactly, he's just not good enough to crack the lineup any more. If he requests to be sent down they could say they didn't want to risk losing him on waivers. Happens all the time. Obviously they've already waived him and gone public with their intent to buy him out, but I think the players would have had a very hard time proving this illegal suspension case if the teams had just kept quiet and scratched the players until next summer.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:10 AM
  #53
zbubble
Registered User
 
zbubble's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 2,119
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
Couldn't they just make him a healthy scratch? He's not really suspended exactly, he's just not good enough to crack the lineup any more. If he requests to be sent down they could say they didn't want to risk losing him on waivers. Happens all the time. Obviously they've already waived him and gone public with their intent to buy him out, but I think the players would have had a very hard time proving this illegal suspension case if the teams had just kept quiet and scratched the players until next summer.
Even as a healthy scratch he would then still be practicing with the team, and then you go back to the risk of him being injured in practice and then not being able to buy him out if he had a long term injury.

By all accounts, both Montreal and Gomez are happy with this resolution, so I'm not sure what problem you're trying to solve.

zbubble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 04:22 AM
  #54
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,151
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkr0x View Post
Couldn't they just make him a healthy scratch? He's not really suspended exactly, he's just not good enough to crack the lineup any more. If he requests to be sent down they could say they didn't want to risk losing him on waivers. Happens all the time. Obviously they've already waived him and gone public with their intent to buy him out, but I think the players would have had a very hard time proving this illegal suspension case if the teams had just kept quiet and scratched the players until next summer.
Healthy scratch would just be wasting a roster spot. Why do that when you can get rid of him? It's not like he's going to join another team and really hurt you. The only other concern is how it reflects on your organization, which would be poorly if they pass up on the chance to do it now only to make him sit home all season and do it this summer.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:28 AM
  #55
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,583
vCash: 500
Awards:
Amerks could use a replacement for Hodgson. Beyond that (and I don't see him being all that keen to take a deal with AHL assignment, someone will kick the tires at the NHL level, I'm sure), not interested.

__________________
It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it. - Aristotle
Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:36 AM
  #56
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,151
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Amerks could use a replacement for Hodgson. Beyond that (and I don't see him being all that keen to take a deal with AHL assignment, someone will kick the tires at the NHL level, I'm sure), not interested.
I had the same thoughts. He's not going to accept that unless no offer comes.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:42 AM
  #57
HiddenInLight
Registered User
 
HiddenInLight's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 3,014
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
Amerks could use a replacement for Hodgson. Beyond that (and I don't see him being all that keen to take a deal with AHL assignment, someone will kick the tires at the NHL level, I'm sure), not interested.
He's probably a better option then Matt freaking Ellis or Cody McCormick as a 3rd/4th line center in the event that Grigorenko gets sent back. Might be worth a low contract. We have the cap space.

HiddenInLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:47 AM
  #58
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,151
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
He's probably a better option then Matt freaking Ellis or Cody McCormick as a 3rd/4th line center in the event that Grigorenko gets sent back. Might be worth a low contract. We have the cap space.
I'm not sure that's true. They're both better defensively. Gerbe-Kaleta definitely have some offensive upside if they have a guy with ability between them (Welcome back, Mr. Hecht), but I'm not even sure Gomez would do much to unlock that. I don't think that's the right mix of players to help him succeed offensively. He'd probably fit in better with Leino-Ott but I'm so not prepared to have Scott Gomez be our 3rd line center.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:50 AM
  #59
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,583
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
He's probably a better option then Matt freaking Ellis or Cody McCormick as a 3rd/4th line center in the event that Grigorenko gets sent back. Might be worth a low contract. We have the cap space.
Maybe. So too is someone like Matt Lombardi who was just moved in trade for a conditional 4th rounder. Deals can be made if need be. Gomez seems like someone without much left, the wheels have fallen off.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:12 AM
  #60
Luceni
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austria
Country: Austria
Posts: 3,658
vCash: 500
What about Lecavalier? Would anybody make a trade for him including Leopold, Adam and a pick?

Luceni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:16 AM
  #61
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,583
vCash: 500
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
What about Lecavalier? Would anybody make a trade for him including Leopold, Adam and a pick?
He has a horrible cap number for is production. Not all that interested.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:27 AM
  #62
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,151
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
He has a horrible cap number for is production. Not all that interested.
Same. If we were desperate organizationally for a #2 center then you might consider it. Sabres have 3 top 6 centers (hopefully) organizationally over the short-to-long term. Not a good fit.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:29 AM
  #63
Buffaloed
Administrator
Webmaster
 
Buffaloed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Buffalo, NY
Country: United States
Posts: 24,935
vCash: 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luceni View Post
What about Lecavalier? Would anybody make a trade for him including Leopold, Adam and a pick?
I'd prefer to tank this season rather than go for short-term fixes. I'd stand pat with the roster and if things aren't going well after 20-30 games, clean house and clean up at the draft.

Buffaloed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:16 AM
  #64
sand1138man
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 575
vCash: 500
seriously, this man is a human being, and humans are flawed...all of us are flawed in different ways, and people can see those flaws, and people who run hockey teams can also see those flaws, and when they get rid of a player who has been deemed a star in this league and lose money on the deal then there is obviously either an on-ice or off-ice flaw that is the reason behind him being booted from the team. So if a team like Montreal does not want him, and they were not as good of a team as buffalo last year, then why would the sabres want to PAY any money for him

sand1138man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:43 AM
  #65
Rob Paxon
⚔Z E M G U S⚔
 
Rob Paxon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: corfu, ny
Country: United States
Posts: 17,151
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
Quote:
Originally Posted by sand1138man View Post
seriously, this man is a human being, and humans are flawed...all of us are flawed in different ways, and people can see those flaws, and people who run hockey teams can also see those flaws, and when they get rid of a player who has been deemed a star in this league and lose money on the deal then there is obviously either an on-ice or off-ice flaw that is the reason behind him being booted from the team. So if a team like Montreal does not want him, and they were not as good of a team as buffalo last year, then why would the sabres want to PAY any money for him
While I don't want Gomez, it's really not this simple. They amnestied him because they don't want to be stuck with his $6m or whatever cap hit. That doesn't reflect much on him other than he's incredibly far away from being worth that cap hit and isn't a good fit for their team.

Rob Paxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:47 AM
  #66
JOHNBOY
BUFFALO SABRES
 
JOHNBOY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Denver NC
Country: United States
Posts: 10,146
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to JOHNBOY
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
While I don't want Gomez, it's really not this simple. They amnestied him because they don't want to be stuck with his $6m or whatever cap hit. That doesn't reflect much on him other than he's incredibly far away from being worth that cap hit and isn't a good fit for their team.
agreed, I bet Gomez goes somewhere and puts up a few points .... I bet he ends up with New Jersey....

JOHNBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:49 AM
  #67
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope
 
Chainshot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Costa Rica
Country: Costa Rica
Posts: 56,583
vCash: 500
Awards:
From what some members of the press have indicated, Gomez was well-liked in the room and a team guy. The buyout is all about Montreal not getting bang for the buck, getting out from under a terrible contract for what Scott can bring now.

Chainshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:05 AM
  #68
punkr0x
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 314
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainshot View Post
From what some members of the press have indicated, Gomez was well-liked in the room and a team guy. The buyout is all about Montreal not getting bang for the buck, getting out from under a terrible contract for what Scott can bring now.
Definitely, I don't think Scott Gomez is completely done in the NHL. He had 31 assists two years ago and last year was more injury troubles than on-ice problems. He's just not worth anything close to his cap hit.

punkr0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:30 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.