HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Claude Giroux named Captain of the Flyers

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-15-2013, 10:28 PM
  #101
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyborg LeClair View Post
So I got a Giroux Winter Classic jersey before he was given an A last year so it's blank in that regard.

I've been wanting to take it somewhere to have the A added, but how bad would it be to get the C instead? I know he didnt have the C during the game, but jerseys are expensive and I'll probably be rocking this one for the next 5 years or so and I kinda want a C

Yea or Neigh?
If you do that, I will come to your house and burn it down with the jersey inside. You are not allowed to do that.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 10:53 PM
  #102
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!
 
FreshPerspective's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Italy
Posts: 10,355
vCash: 500
G has come a long way since he was hilariously compared by one poster as likely to have a career equivalent to Scott Gomez...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-15-2013, 11:56 PM
  #103
StandingCow
Registered User
 
StandingCow's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 3,537
vCash: 50
Well, none of us should be surprised, it is "his team" afterall. I just hope the curse doesn't follow.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 03:28 AM
  #104
Le Oranje
Registered User
 
Le Oranje's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Bloomsburg, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 121
vCash: 500
I don't like this at all...solely because of the potential curse.

Le Oranje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:00 AM
  #105
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment
 
GKJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Do not trade plz
Country: United States
Posts: 109,879
vCash: 5792
I guess it's cool if they feel the need to have one. Personally, I think the C is overrated and comes with undue pressures.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 12:22 PM
  #106
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,362
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I would have thought Timonen would get the C then pass it on to Giroux. Decisions like these you can't really question. The coaches know who is the team's leader better than anyone else.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:37 PM
  #107
A Clerk
Schennergy
 
A Clerk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Vilnius
Country: Lithuania
Posts: 247
vCash: 500
Giroux's an alpha male he's takin that C and thriving off it

A Clerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 09:46 PM
  #108
Swic21
Registered User
 
Swic21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Mistake in my opinion...

Swic21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:59 AM
  #109
King Forsberg
21 68 88 16 44 28
 
King Forsberg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Country: United States
Posts: 5,182
vCash: 300
Quote:
Timonen was named the “associate” captain. The “alternate” captains are Briere and Hartnell.

What’s an associate?

“Maybe I am G’s right hand man,” Timonen replied. “If he needs groceries, I go pick them up.”
Oh Kimmo, please do not retire.

King Forsberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:45 AM
  #110
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave
 
DrinkFightFlyers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 12,362
vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
Mistake in my opinion...
I don't understand comments like these in reference to this type of decision. The coach and the team know who the best player to be Captain is. We have no idea what goes on in the locker room or on the ice in terms of who is the team leader. The only people that know that are the coaches and players. He's young, but there are young captains across the NHL who aren't imploding because of the C. If you have seen something that leads you to believe he is not the leader the team thinks he is, or that he doesn't have the mental capacity to handle it, please share these reasons because I certainly haven't seen anything to the contrary.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:49 AM
  #111
Cyborg LeClair
14 28 10 16
 
Cyborg LeClair's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Philadelphia, PA
Country: United States
Posts: 918
vCash: 400
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't understand comments like these in reference to this type of decision. The coach and the team know who the best player to be Captain is. We have no idea what goes on in the locker room or on the ice in terms of who is the team leader. The only people that know that are the coaches and players. He's young, but there are young captains across the NHL who aren't imploding because of the C. If you have seen something that leads you to believe he is not the leader the team thinks he is, or that he doesn't have the mental capacity to handle it, please share these reasons because I certainly haven't seen anything to the contrary.
It's like Lavy said in an interview yesterday, the captaincy isnt something being THRUST upon him, it is something he has earned by the way he conducts himself and the way he leads this team on and off the ice without the C.

Timonen's opinion was that the C should go to the best player on the team and someone who will be there for a long time, and that's G.

Cyborg LeClair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:52 AM
  #112
Miss Mess
Registered User
 
Miss Mess's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Los Angeles
Country: United States
Posts: 4,539
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by KingForsberg View Post
Oh Kimmo, please do not retire.
too funny

Miss Mess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:54 PM
  #113
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars
 
MiamiScreamingEagles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Posts: 39,445
vCash: 1161
And now it's officially official:

MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 06:10 PM
  #114
Swic21
Registered User
 
Swic21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I don't understand comments like these in reference to this type of decision. The coach and the team know who the best player to be Captain is. We have no idea what goes on in the locker room or on the ice in terms of who is the team leader. The only people that know that are the coaches and players. He's young, but there are young captains across the NHL who aren't imploding because of the C. If you have seen something that leads you to believe he is not the leader the team thinks he is, or that he doesn't have the mental capacity to handle it, please share these reasons because I certainly haven't seen anything to the contrary.
My opinion (which I know means nothing lol) is that the captain should always go to a veteran player that's been through it all. A player that's faced every kinda adversity thrown at him. A very experienced warrior.
Kimmon Timonen even states in his interview that the only thing Giroux may be lacking is experience. So why thrust the captaincy upon an inexperienced player? What's the rush to give Giroux the captaincy when Kimmo and Danny are both better fitted for the job and they are both done in a year or two.
Giving Giroux the captaincy is a given. He's our best player by leaps and bounds. Conducts himself professionally on and off the ice. I just think its a little soon for him to get it. My opinion.

Swic21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:47 PM
  #115
Lisenok
orangeandblack.ru
 
Lisenok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Russians Bad (c)
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 144
vCash: 500

Lisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:55 PM
  #116
Krishna
Registered User
 
Krishna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: Canada
Posts: 82,048
vCash: 50
That after picture looks like a mix of Pronger and Giroux..

It's weird

Krishna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:35 PM
  #117
Lisenok
orangeandblack.ru
 
Lisenok's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Russians Bad (c)
Country: Russian Federation
Posts: 144
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krishna View Post
That after picture looks like a mix of Pronger and Giroux..

It's weird
It's hairstyle

Lisenok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:27 AM
  #118
Sievegalov
Registered User
 
Sievegalov's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 18
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
My opinion (which I know means nothing lol) is that the captain should always go to a veteran player that's been through it all. A player that's faced every kinda adversity thrown at him. A very experienced warrior.
Kimmon Timonen even states in his interview that the only thing Giroux may be lacking is experience. So why thrust the captaincy upon an inexperienced player? What's the rush to give Giroux the captaincy when Kimmo and Danny are both better fitted for the job and they are both done in a year or two.
Giving Giroux the captaincy is a given. He's our best player by leaps and bounds. Conducts himself professionally on and off the ice. I just think its a little soon for him to get it. My opinion.
Claude Giroux is 5 year NHL veteran.
He's been to the Stanley Cup finals, leading the team in points, getting chewed out by the captain, seeing another captain get traded, going through a lockout.

Before that, he won President's Cup, playoff MVP, and gold medal. Oh yeah, before that, he also went undrafted twice in the CHL draft, talk about adversity, it just made him work even harder. He made Gatineau as a walk-on, and won the Q rookie of the year, then Bobby Clarke forgot his name at the draft. The kid as been through more than most guys in their entire careers. He can handle it.

And if he's too young at 25 with 5 years of NHL experience under his belt, you would have craped your pants when Bobby Clarke was named captain at 23. Of course the Red Wings didn't have a problem with a 21 year old Steve Yzerman either.

Sievegalov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:45 AM
  #119
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sievegalov View Post
Claude Giroux is 5 year NHL veteran.
He's been to the Stanley Cup finals, leading the team in points, getting chewed out by the captain, seeing another captain get traded, going through a lockout.

Before that, he won President's Cup, playoff MVP, and gold medal. Oh yeah, before that, he also went undrafted twice in the CHL draft, talk about adversity, it just made him work even harder. He made Gatineau as a walk-on, and won the Q rookie of the year, then Bobby Clarke forgot his name at the draft. The kid as been through more than most guys in their entire careers. He can handle it.

And if he's too young at 25 with 5 years of NHL experience under his belt, you would have craped your pants when Bobby Clarke was named captain at 23. Of course the Red Wings didn't have a problem with a 21 year old Steve Yzerman either.
This. Also how old was Crosby when he got his C?

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:48 AM
  #120
RussianRocket10
Registered User
 
RussianRocket10's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Pennsylvania
Country: Brazil
Posts: 3,748
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDrizzle81 View Post
This. Also how old was Crosby when he got his C?
19 years and 297 days

RussianRocket10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:53 AM
  #121
Swic21
Registered User
 
Swic21's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 1,079
vCash: 500
Again, I was just saying personally I prefer to have an older player like a Timonen or Briere take on the captaincy. And the flyers for the most part do it this way. Hatcher,Smith,Forsberg,Pronger. I just feel no need to thrust it upon younger guys. I don't think Crosby or Toews or Landeskog should be captains.

Swic21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:59 AM
  #122
TheDrizzle81
Registered User
 
TheDrizzle81's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Marlton NJ
Country: United States
Posts: 5,357
vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to TheDrizzle81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swic21 View Post
Again, I was just saying personally I prefer to have an older player like a Timonen or Briere take on the captaincy. And the flyers for the most part do it this way. Hatcher,Smith,Forsberg,Pronger. I just feel no need to thrust it upon younger guys. I don't think Crosby or Toews or Landeskog should be captains.
Crosby and Toews did lead their teams to championships...

TheDrizzle81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:09 AM
  #123
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 500
Does anyone know what the significance of "Associate captain" is?

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:13 PM
  #124
chimrichalds18
the key
 
chimrichalds18's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 2,769
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyOnTheSpot View Post
Does anyone know what the significance of "Associate captain" is?
I would guess it's the permanent A. Briere gets an A on the road, Hartnell gets one on the road (or other way around).

chimrichalds18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:27 PM
  #125
JohnnyOnTheSpot
I Believe in G-Sus
 
JohnnyOnTheSpot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Philadelphia
Country: United States
Posts: 1,900
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by chimrichalds18 View Post
I would guess it's the permanent A. Briere gets an A on the road, Hartnell gets one on the road (or other way around).
That was my original assumption, but they specifically state the associate designation was a first for the franchise. And since they've had permanent As before, that doesn't really fit the bill as the defining characteristic.

JohnnyOnTheSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:07 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.