HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Buffalo needs to move Defencemen

Old
01-16-2013, 01:58 PM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djp View Post
On Monday in the sabres edge blog posting Vogl talked about the defensemen and who could be traded......

http://blogs.buffalonews.com/sabres/

The Sabres' dilemma on defense -- how to fit nine blue-liners into six spots -- got even trickier today.

With minor-leaguer Joe Finley getting claimed off waivers by the Islanders today, it's all but certain the Sabres won't risk sending T.J. Brennan back to Rochester via waivers. That's one alleviation option gone for Buffalo General Manager Darcy Regier.

So who should the Sabres keep and use on the blue line? You can vote in the poll below.

Tyler Myers and Christian Ehrhoff, by virtue of their status and contracts, are not included. They're locked in. But everyone else is eligible to stay or go. Here are some pros and cons:

Jordan Leopold -- He has 23 goals and 36 assists over the last two seasons, making him one of the Sabres' most consistent defensemen. He also makes a reasonable $3 million. But he's in the final year of his contract and could be lost for nothing at the end of the season.

Robyn Regehr -- Acquired prior to last season, Regehr was viewed as the missing, physical, stay-at-home piece of the Sabres' puzzle. He is tough, but he's also 32 and in the last year of his contract, which pays $4 million.

Andrej Sekera -- The 26-year-old is in the second season of a contract that averages $2.75 million. Blessed with offensive skills, especially skating, he has underachieved. He had three goals and 13 points in 69 games last year.

Alexander Sulzer -- Acquired at the trade deadline as a throw-in to the Cody Hodgson deal, he blossomed in Buffalo and was arguably its best defender down the stretch. He had three goals and eight points in 15 games. The 28-year-old signed a one-year, $725,000 deal.

Brennan -- He leads the Amerks with 14 goals and 35 points in 36 games. He had just one goal and no assists in 11 games with Buffalo last year. He makes $550,000.

Mike Weber -- A physical defenseman, Weber has had his ups and downs with Buffalo. There have been times he's a vital piece to the blue line, and others when he can't even crack the lineup. He makes $900,000.

Adam Pardy -- The biggest unknown among Buffalo's defenders. Acquired as part of the trade that brought Steve Ott to town over the summer, Pardy had three assists in 36 games with Dallas last season. He played 30 games for the Stars the previous year after 57- and 60-game campaigns with Calgary. He's in the final year of a contract that pays $2 million.
Vogl is just wrong about Sekera underachieving. As has been stated, Leopold is most available via trade, but his market value goes up at the deadline. Otherwise, Pardy probably gets waived.

flyingpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 02:00 PM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
Vogl is just wrong about Sekera underachieving. As has been stated, Leopold is most available via trade, but his market value goes up at the deadline. Otherwise, Pardy probably gets waived.
Yeah I'm not sure what he's looking for when he watches Sekera . I wonder if he thinks he was our best defenseman last year too..

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 04:59 PM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Quote:
Buffalo's biggest need are with wingers.

McNabb will likely stay down in rochester this year except for injury call ups.

I would add STL and LA to the mix.

LA with the injury would be more than happy with someone like Leopold in his walk year. Regher is also possible but he likely doesnt waive his no trade clause until the deadline.
Yes, STL & LA also make sense, but I get the sense they'll make do with lesser name, ie, NJD's Tallinder. Perhaps whichever doesn't get him may show interest in Pardy (more likely LA, IMO).

Quote:
For Buffalo to move Sekera given his contract length/cap his return will have to be for a 1st/2nd line player....not a prospect.
Perhaps Sekera to MIN for Setoguchi?

01-16-2013, 05:42 PM
Girgenburger

I'd like to see Sekera traded. The dude's a great defenseman. Strike while the iron is hot.

With that being said, not everyone is going to agree on Sekera's value. If I'm Regier, I'm asking for a top 6 forward and a pick. That sexy cap hit is just too good to give away for scraps. Vogl couldn't be more wrong in his assessment of Sekera. He should not be leaned on for points. However, he's a great puck mover who is also positionally sound and skilled on the back end. He's a top 4 Dman on any team in the league.

Girgenburger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 06:31 PM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post
I'd like to see Sekera traded. The dude's a great defenseman. Strike while the iron is hot.

With that being said, not everyone is going to agree on Sekera's value. If I'm Regier, I'm asking for a top 6 forward and a pick. That sexy cap hit is just too good to give away for scraps. Vogl couldn't be more wrong in his assessment of Sekera. He should not be leaned on for points. However, he's a great puck mover who is also positionally sound and skilled on the back end. He's a top 4 Dman on any team in the league.
Yeah TBN has had an agenda against Sekera for a while now.

http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/sh....php?t=1195891 is an excellent argument in favor of Sekera's value.

New Sabres Captain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:31 PM
underslept

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
I'd do Sobotka and a small something (3rd or 4th?) for Leopold. I'd love Berglund, but I'd imagine Sekera would have to be the centerpiece in any such deal.
The Blues will not trade a centerman. We are currently in need of more of them, we have wingers for trading, no centers.

underslept is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:45 PM
Blitz
Reinhart & Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Yes, STL & LA also make sense, but I get the sense they'll make do with lesser name, ie, NJD's Tallinder. Perhaps whichever doesn't get him may show interest in Pardy (more likely LA, IMO).

Perhaps Sekera to MIN for Setoguchi?
Seto doesn't do it for me, would have to be Brodziak+, or less likely Granlund...

Quote:
Originally Posted by wearegodawful View Post

The guy I'm looking at would be a guy flexible top-6er like Filppula, Gagner, Berglund, RoR, etc...

Blitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:59 AM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrigsAndGirgs View Post
No, I said Sekera+ (obviously we'd have to add). But really that's the only type of deal I can see us moving Sekera--packaging him for a top talent.
I'm pretty sure Sekera would be the + in a trade for talent like Backes. Not the main piece. Sekera is a middle pairing, defensive defenseman on a sweet, sweet deal.

Backes is one of the best all-around players in the game. And on a sweet, sweet deal. Unless the plus your talking about is Grigorenko, Sekera+ for Backes is gonna get you a dial tone.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:09 AM
JawandaPuck
Lost Art of Dynasty

Bob McKenzie ‏@TSNBobMcKenzie
BUF puts Adam Pardy on waivers.

JawandaPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:11 AM
couture23
Sabres & Red Sox

Quote:
I wonder if anyone will take him, doubt it with that contract.

couture23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:45 PM
Djp

Quote:
He was the likely one they would risk waivers on.

Its possible Dallas claims him since they are very familiar with him.

They also will likely put Gerbe and McCormick on IR to get them to 23. Then their extras would be 2 D-men and one forward.

What would be smart for them to do given the compact season....knowing Ruff...I doubt it....is they rotate the 8 D-men given everyone a game off..especially on back to backs or 4 in 5/6 nights. This is not just a rotation of the buttom 3 but of everyone where they make sure they have 2 of Ehrhoff/Myers/Regehr in the lineup and give one of them a rest occassionally or on days they feel a little sore.

Djp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 12:57 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
He was the likely one they would risk waivers on.

Its possible Dallas claims him since they are very familiar with him.

They also will likely put Gerbe and McCormick on IR to get them to 23. Then their extras would be 2 D-men and one forward.

What would be smart for them to do given the compact season....knowing Ruff...I doubt it....is they rotate the 8 D-men given everyone a game off..especially on back to backs or 4 in 5/6 nights. This is not just a rotation of the buttom 3 but of everyone where they make sure they have 2 of Ehrhoff/Myers/Regehr in the lineup and give one of them a rest occassionally or on days they feel a little sore.
that makes close to no sense.

Buffalo had no need for Pardy, he was clearly part of the trade in a negative value way. We took the contract off Dallas hands. Why would they take it back now?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 01:02 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
that makes close to no sense.

Buffalo had no need for Pardy, he was clearly part of the trade in a negative value way. We took the contract off Dallas hands. Why would they take it back now?
Not necessarily...it could be partly to balance out the salaries of the players.

Without traing camp and scrimmages it made it harder to evaluste the talent they had. They stick with familiarity.

Was he part of it to balance out salary or did they look at him as more of a 4th line enforcement player rather than a D-man ??? I dont know what the GMs talked about.

Old
01-17-2013, 02:57 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

I would gladly trade Leopold for a 2nd and a prospect. Leopolds been dealt for a 2nd round pick 2 or 3 times already, and with the lack of available good dmen, he is easily worth a 2nd and a mid level prospect.

Sekera-Myers
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Weber-Regehr
Brennan
McNabb first call up from Rochester

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:24 PM
Jame
Dream '16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Layne Staley View Post
I would gladly trade Leopold for a 2nd and a prospect. Leopolds been dealt for a 2nd round pick 2 or 3 times already, and with the lack of available good dmen, he is easily worth a 2nd and a mid level prospect.

Sekera-Myers
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Weber-Regehr
Brennan
McNabb first call up from Rochester
Downgrading your blueline for a 2nd round pick before the season even starts? Why would they do that?

Jame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 03:40 PM
SwordsgoneWild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blitz View Post
Seto doesn't do it for me, would have to be Brodziak+, or less likely Granlund...

The guy I'm looking at would be a guy flexible top-6er like Filppula, Gagner, Berglund, RoR, etc...
No way in hell the Wild even remotely consider this. I love Sekera but thats

I do realize you mentioned its a less likely situation but I would flip my lid if the Sabres somehow managed to get Grans,lol.

SwordsgoneWild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 08:03 PM
Layne Staley
The Future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jame View Post
Downgrading your blueline for a 2nd round pick before the season even starts? Why would they do that?
Leopold won't be re-signed. He takes away minutes also. He's 32 years old and no more then a #3/4 dman at best. Give his minutes to Myers and Sekera. Also frees up a spot for TJ Brennan in the top 7.Leopold is a player Ruff over relies on and just isn't that good, yet Ruff entrusts a lot of minutes for him which he doesn't deserve.

Layne Staley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:32 PM
KingCanadain1976

would the sabres have interest in jarret stoll for leopold ? not sure id do but ill ask if your interest first

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:09 AM
SECRET SQUIRREL

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingCanadain1976 View Post
would the sabres have interest in jarret stoll for leopold ? not sure id do but ill ask if your interest first
If Grigorenko makes the team this year(looking likely) then I doubt we would have interest. If he is sent back to the Remparts then that trade would make a lot of sense.

SECRET SQUIRREL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:00 AM
KevinFG

Send a message via Skype™ to KevinFG
If McNabb is the true first call up from the ROC, he needs to get his act together. He's not having a strong season. Not saying I've given up on him in the least, but he's struggling right now.

KevinFG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:25 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFG View Post
If McNabb is the true first call up from the ROC, he needs to get his act together. He's not having a strong season. Not saying I've given up on him in the least, but he's struggling right now.
As far as call ups it would be McNabb or Pysyk

Dont be surprised if they entertain the idea of signing then using Jake McCabe come April. There has been some success of NCAA players making the jump late in the year and having some success.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:33 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by SECRET SQUIRREL View Post
If Grigorenko makes the team this year(looking likely) then I doubt we would have interest. If he is sent back to the Remparts then that trade would make a lot of sense.

I agree. If Grigorenko is sent down to juniors I expect him to be full time Sabre next season. They signed Hecht as a 3rd line center insurance policy.

What is Stolls contract anyway. Is this a rental?

They need wingers more.

this isnt a slap on Stoll but what they ould trade for in center is someone with size who brings some vet leadership role.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
KingCanadain1976

Quote:
I agree. If Grigorenko is sent down to juniors I expect him to be full time Sabre next season. They signed Hecht as a 3rd line center insurance policy.

What is Stolls contract anyway. Is this a rental?

They need wingers more.

this isnt a slap on Stoll but what they ould trade for in center is someone with size who brings some vet leadership role.
Stoll resigned a 3 year 3.25 millon a year contract in the offseason. He maynot have the size you want but he does bring alot of leadership qualites not to mention of one the better faceoff percentages in the league.

Any interest in Gagne ? or brad richardson ? if your looking for wingers

KingCanadain1976 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:20 PM
Brendan Shanahan
I suspend people

Rangers and Sabres could be great trading partners right now. Rangers really need a 6/7 defenseman.

Brendan Shanahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:33 PM
clumping platelets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Shanahan View Post
Rangers and Sabres could be great trading partners right now. Rangers really need a 6/7 defenseman.

Proposal? I'm looking at the Rangers and I do not see any forwards they would want to part with in exchange for a D-man.

clumping platelets is offline   Reply With Quote