HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Brian Strait (Claimed by NY Islanders)

Old
01-18-2013, 07:18 AM
UnrealMachine

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tang View Post
I couldn't disagree more; I thought he was bad far more often than not. Granted, our defense as a unit was bad but Lovejoy did nothing to help. As for Niskanen, he came over in a trade and had to learn a new system; Lovejoy has been in the same system for years. Big difference because of the situation.
Could you quantify or elaborate as to what makes him so bad? Statistically, teams scored the least number of 5 on 5 goals when he was on the ice and by a significant margin (Despres was actually the lowest, but only played 18 games). So if teams score the least number of ES goals with him on the ice, despite being in & out of the lineup and with a revolving cast of D partners, how is he the worst? Not enough offense?

UnrealMachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:41 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
Eh. I don't see any chance he slips through. Too many teams can use a guy like him.
Yeah, even Shero seems doubtful that he'll slip through.
Quote:
Shero declined to speculate on whether another club will pick up Strait, but said that, "I know some teams like Brian."
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/i...3-sheros-logic

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpp9 View Post
If we lost Bortuzzo for nothing, I'd be pissed.
Agreed. Hard to find good big D-Men and he has a chance to become one of those.

Captain Hook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:45 AM
Milliardo

Lovejoy had that turnover against the Flyers, that's all people remember, just like with Gonchar.

I remember last year, Strait was called up for a regular season game against the Flyers. He got absolutely walked by Voracek, beat on the outside, it was a goal. But all we hear is how perfect and reliable he is on the D side. Sure, Lovejoy makes mistakes too, but he at least provides some offense.

People have discarded Rev all off season long, not even considering him in any lineup at all. But the point is, right now, he is a better hockey player than Brian Strait. And please, we're arguing about who's our number 8.

Milliardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:47 AM
Ugene Malkin
Bück Dich Baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post

Certainly most would have preferred Lovejoy over Strait, but time will tell if they even need either.

Bortuzzo is a must keep.

Ugene Malkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:48 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Quote:

If teams were interested in Strait he could have at least dealt him for a pick or something. Anyways I guess well see what happens at 12

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:49 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Lovejoy or any 7th D have a tough job. You rarely play and it's hard to stay sharp physically mentally and find chemistry with a D partner when you're constantly in and out of the lineup like that.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:53 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
Could you quantify or elaborate as to what makes him so bad? Statistically, teams scored the least number of 5 on 5 goals when he was on the ice and by a significant margin (Despres was actually the lowest, but only played 18 games). So if teams score the least number of ES goals with him on the ice, despite being in & out of the lineup and with a revolving cast of D partners, how is he the worst? Not enough offense?
First, I didn't say he was the worst, just that he had more bad games than not. Second, there is a reason that stats aren't everything: Martin had fairly good stats last year yet everyone knows he had a bad year. My assessment comes from watching every game and seeing that Lovejoy was good for one or two big mistakes each one and didn't do anything particularly well. I don't expect offensive numbers from him, but I expect him to win battles along the boards and not cough up the puck on his breakout pass.

I'm not under any delusion Lovejoy is anythign more than a 6th/7th defenseman, but those guys are always replaceable and frankly, replacing him really would nto hurt.

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:01 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
If teams were interested in Strait he could have at least dealt him for a pick or something. Anyways I guess well see what happens at 12
Just passing along what Shero had to say about it. He would certainly know if teams like the kid. Strait likely just wasn't proven enough for a team to want to part with an asset to acquire him. A guy that's unproven and doesn't have a high ceiling is probably a hard sell in trade. Doesn't mean a few teams that like him won't be happy to take him now that he's free on waivers though. We'll see at 12 like you said.

I kind of hope he gets claimed. He's an NHL caliber player but he isn't going to be in our plans anyway. Hope he finally gets a shot elsewhere.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:14 AM
Mr Jiggyfly

Quote:
Just passing along what Shero had to say about it. He would certainly know if teams like the kid. Strait likely just wasn't proven enough for a team to want to part with an asset to acquire him. A guy that's unproven and doesn't have a high ceiling is probably a hard sell in trade. Doesn't mean a few teams that like him won't be happy to take him now that he's free on waivers though. We'll see at 12 like you said.

I kind of hope he gets claimed. He's an NHL caliber player but he isn't going to be in our plans anyway. Hope he finally gets a shot elsewhere.
Strait deserves a shot like you said. If he gets claimed, it means he will get a true shot in the NHL. I want him to help the Pens, but when you watch a guy pay his dues for this long, you just want to see him do well.

He is a talented guy and I truly believe he has a long NHL career ahead of him. I was prepared for this to happen since last season, so I have made my peace with it. I think everyone knew this team wasn't keeping up three rookie blueliners.

I just prefer to look at the positives... I felt Bort had the higher upside, so he looks like he will make the big roster along with Despres. I also seem to be one of the few Lovejoy supporters. I think he can round out his game like Nisky if he gets steady NHL minutes.

If Lovejoy doesn't work out and Strait is claimed, it just leaves a spot open for Dumoulin to grab.

Mr Jiggyfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:16 AM
wgknestrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealMachine View Post
While I certainly agree with your point and opinion on Lovejoy, his team leading O zone starts (30 game min) have a lot to do with his results. I like the reverend much more than Bortz, Strait, or Depres.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...61+62+64+65+66

It's much easier to not allow goals against when you start about 59% of your shifts in the O zone. Just look at how sheltered Depres was BTW.

Now factor in who Lovejoy was playing against with qual comp values:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...12+13+14+15+16

The lowest competition of all of our D men (30game min). It's great that he did well in this sheltered situation, but you have to take these results with a grain of salt. They will come down when he is fed to the lions.

wgknestrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:30 AM
bigd

I'm sure Despres is going to have a short leash. If he doesn't perform he can be sent back at anytime. And since we have 8 D we don't even need to bring up another D-man. I'm sure the message was passed on the the guys being sent back, keep working hard because you could be back up next week.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:33 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by wgknestrick View Post
While I certainly agree with your point and opinion on Lovejoy, his team leading O zone starts (30 game min) have a lot to do with his results. I like the reverend much more than Bortz, Strait, or Depres.

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...61+62+64+65+66

It's much easier to not allow goals against when you start about 59% of your shifts in the O zone. Just look at how sheltered Depres was BTW.

Now factor in who Lovejoy was playing against with qual comp values:

http://www.behindthenet.ca/nhl_stati...12+13+14+15+16

The lowest competition of all of our D men (30game min). It's great that he did well in this sheltered situation, but you have to take these results with a grain of salt. They will come down when he is fed to the lions.
The difference in OZS is not THAT significant compared to the rest of the team. QoC is certainly much lower, but again, his ESGAA/60 is also significantly lower. Enough to make the three stats a wash? Perhaps. I don't think he is a hidden gem, but the Pens have not been hurt by his presence on the ice at all. If he ever gets #5 or #4 minutes, I'm mostly comfortable with how I feel he will perform.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:27 AM
GermanTitov

Quote:
Originally Posted by sluice View Post
Trade them for: Kunitz, Tangradi and NEAL like players.

like someone said earlier, we need to get them to the nhl level with a few productive seasons under their belt before we can get value back. with the jam up at D its gonna be tough to get these guys experience. also if you do find a team willing to deal a productive kunitz neal type player then you will be taking on millions in cap hits while letting a 500k prospect go in return. under the new CBA it doesnt make sense to do that.

GermanTitov is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:06 AM
cascar86

https://twitter.com/TSNBobMcKenzie/s...16861700378624

Strait claimed by the Isles.

cascar86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:08 AM
Shady Machine

Good for Strait. I hope he makes it into their regular rotation.

Shady Machine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:08 AM
deakka

So glad we wasted a semi-high draft pick, developed him, and gave him to Islanders for nothing......

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:09 AM
UnrealMachine

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
So glad we wasted a semi-high draft pick, developed him, and gave him to Islanders for nothing......
Cosigned.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:10 AM
Le Magnifique 66
Let's Go Pens

Great to make it worse he goes to a division rival!

Le Magnifique 66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Dangles78

Figured the Isles or Ottawa would snag him up

Honestly, good for him. He'll have a much better opportunity there and this opens up a little room for players that have a significant future here.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
shureshot66
Global Moderator

This now gives the Isles *nine* defensemen (Visnovsky would make 10) up with the big club, as Strait is the third blueliner they've claimed off the wire this week. So there's a reasonable chance he ends up coming back to the Pens at some point.

shureshot66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:11 AM
Cardboard Orpik
Out 4-6 Weeks

Damn. Well, at least it wasn't Philly.

Cardboard Orpik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:12 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
Dude was drafted in 2006. If you can't crack an NHL roster 7 years after being drafted be thankful there's another team out there that has a spot for you.

Good for him...surprised he was claimed to be honest.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:14 AM
bigd

Happy for him, I don't think he'll be coming back.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:14 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
He wasn't in the plans here. We have many prospects that were going to bypass him into the lineup even if he made the team this year or next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Le Magnifique 66 View Post
Great to make it worse he goes to a division rival!
Relax. He went to the Isles, not the Flyers, Rangers etc.

I'm happy for the kid. He should get an opportunity to play in the NHL now and he deserves that. It wasn't going to happen here for him.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:17 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Yeah it stinks we used a pick and developed him only to lose him for nothing, but at the same time, was Strait really in the future plans and much of a loss? It's not like he's irreplaceable and the only time the guy has whiffed NHL ice is when there are a multitude of injuries.

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote