Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars hire Mark Recchi, Mike Modano, Marty Turco

Old
01-18-2013, 07:18 AM
ginblossoms

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
and honestly, it seems like jere does a lot for the franchise. gaglardi suggested as much as the press conference yesterday. does he have some sort of official role with the stars? he and zubov need to get together and do some euro scouting or something.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:20 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
and honestly, it seems like jere does a lot for the franchise. gaglardi suggested as much as the press conference yesterday. does he have some sort of official role with the stars? he and zubov need to get together and do some euro scouting or something.
Jere lives in Dallas full time. I don't think he'd want to leave his family to make periodical trips to Europe.

Also, the last thing I heard about Zubie was he started coaching for his KHL team. I don't know if he stuck with it though.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:23 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
Jere lives in Dallas full time. I don't think he'd want to leave his family to make periodical trips to Europe.

Also, the last thing I heard about Zubie was he started coaching for his KHL team. I don't know if he stuck with it though.
No, Zubov is the hockey operations consultant for St.Louis.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=644398

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:24 AM
BigG44

Heika has a nice article about Recchi.

Jagr wasn't the only recruit by Recchi this summer. He played a big role in signing Ray Whitney (also former teammate he won a Stanley Cup with).

On ice, the team has definitely change since Gaglardi signed on, but the biggest changes are in hockey operations. More importantly, those changes seem to be smart hires and guys with winning pedigrees. It really was amazing when they were introducing everyone and listing all those Stanley Cups between Gainey, Recchi, and Nieuwendyk. You throw in Les Jackson as a top end talent evaluator of the draft, and you really do have an all-star hockey operations department.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:25 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
No, Zubov is the hockey operations consultant for St.Louis.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=644398
Seriously? Nice. I never heard about that move. I thought he had talked about wanting to stay in Russia.

EDIT: Ahh ... he is staying in Russia. He's monitoring European prospects.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:27 AM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:

how's jere's english? i'd assume it's good enough to do something for the stars organization. that guy gets so much respect around here, kinda surprises me to see others get an official gig before him. unless he's so deferential and humble he's okay with just helping out without any fanfare.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:31 AM
BigG44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblossoms View Post
how's jere's english? i'd assume it's good enough to do something for the stars organization. that guy gets so much respect around here, kinda surprises me to see others get an official gig before him. unless he's so deferential and humble he's okay with just helping out without any fanfare.
The simple answer is he probably doesn't want an official role in the team. Even on the ice he wasn't a guy who drew attention to himself. I'd imagine he's content with retired life right now.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:52 AM
The Frugal Gourmet

They could hire Jere to be Mike Modano's assistant. He could do all the dirty work while Mike Modano gets all the credit.

He's used to it.

The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 10:06 AM
BigG44

Mirtle is a pretty decent source, but until someone else mentions this it's probably not worth it's own thread.

Quote:
James Mirtle ‏@mirtle

One rumour: Dallas. RT @SunGarrioch: Lots of people wondering where Brian Burke will resurface and many think it won't be long.
He didn't say GM, and I think the chances of him replacing GM Joe in the near future are pretty slim.

I doubt even more that he'd take a lesser role in the organization.

Old
01-22-2013, 10:15 AM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

Quote:
He didn't say GM
He did in his next tweet.

Quote:
@Freelancer799

@mirtle @SunGarrioch That is one of the dumbest rumors I've heard. There is no reason for Dallas to hire Burke
Quote:
@mirtle

@Freelancer799 If they lack a GM there is

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-25-2013, 09:51 AM
BigG44

By now, we've all likely heard about the great book written by Jason Farris (Dallas Stars' EVP, Business Operations & Development). It's called Behind the Moves, and Farris basically just interviews as many Stanley Cup champion GM's as possible and they talk about building these winning teams. It's not a cheap book.

Here's a note about Dallas' special advisor Gainey:

Quote:
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

Some funny anecdotes too. For one, at a GM meeting, in front of Bettman, Gainey called Serge Savard a f--ing ***hole and nearly fought.
If this bit is true, well ... let's just say I found a way to hate the Weasel even more:

Quote:
Corey Pronman ‏@coreypronman

One last tidbit I found interesting is that Bettman apparently wants more business execs/non players in GM roles.

Last edited by BigG44: 01-25-2013 at 10:29 AM. Reason: Spell Check
Old
01-25-2013, 10:25 AM
piqued
Global Moderator

vCash: 50
Hmm, $100. Kind of annoying it's in coffee table format. Not on Amazon either.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote