HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Notices

Devils Sign Travis Zajac 8 years/5.75 per

Old
01-17-2013, 04:55 PM
tycobb

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GameSeven View Post
An interesting examination of Zajac's contract and how its year-to-year variance is governed by the old CBA rule and *not* the newly negotiated CBA rules for declination.

http://www.mcsorleys-stick.com/2013/...-percent-rule/
I may have read wrong, but I thought that the CBA states if the 1st half of the contract < 2nd half, the variance is allowed to be the same as the old CBA.

When I click the link I first thought....we better not get fined for this!!!!

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:45 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Another thing I forgot to mention was how awesome it was that all these "insiders" had no sniff of this. No Mac, Dreg, Lebrun or any scrub.

Especially with something they have worked all offseason. Shows they have absolutely zero inside knowledge of the Devils.

Love Lou.
Agreed. The Devils have fewer leaks than a nuclear silo. Love how Lou can still control information about his team over the course of months in this era of instant communication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bgav View Post
haha yessir! Right when the nucks got eliminated i joined the devils bandwagon. haha then Henrique became so ****ing clutch
Please post here more often. We can even trade Abo to the Canucks board in exchange. He won't help your team win more, but he will at least make you laugh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
i think it says something to the clarksons and (in the future) the henriques of the team when zajac signs for 8 years in the blink of an eye. moreso than when a player like kovy signs a long term deal.
I think you're right. Zajac is a core player, and as Lou said, he is a true Devil. He embodies the ethos of the team as a great two-way, hard-working player.

Other players see a guy like that signing up to keep that ethos here past when Lou retires, past when Marty retires, and past when Patty retires, and they know the continuity of the club has just received a big boost. Definitely should impress the kids.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:48 PM
manilaNJ
Optimism: Unwavering

Quote:
Originally Posted by glenwo2 View Post
That makes no sense.

I mean you just signed the NEW CBA. Why would they use the Old CBA's contract-rules?
The new CBA says that if the contract doesn't fall under the category of a "front loaded contract" you go by the terms of the prior 100% rule in old CBA.

manilaNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:53 PM
glenwo2
PATTY'S BETTER!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by manilaNJ View Post
The new CBA says that if the contract doesn't fall under the category of a "front loaded contract" you go by the terms of the prior 100% rule in old CBA.
Aah! Okay, I gotcha. Thanks for answering my question.

It's disconcerting when I'm being ignored after asking a question.

glenwo2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:41 PM
battlingBard56

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyOwns View Post
man, boomer on XM just tore the zajac contract to pieces maybe we're wrong, and the rest of the hockey world is right...but dammit, i love the signing.
I bet Boomer's royally pissed Zajac didn't test free agency and sign with his Rangers. I'm guessing it's sour grapes on his end, with so-called popular opinion to back those sour grapes up.

Also, why did I see a pic of Carton wearing a Devils jersey? Is he actually a fan or did he lose a bet?

battlingBard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:44 PM
Chessarmy
Its a Marty Party

"Boomer" is a ****ing idiot who knows nothing about hockey.

never understood why people listen to that garbage.

Chessarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 11:54 PM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlingBard56 View Post
I bet Boomer's royally pissed Zajac didn't test free agency and sign with his Rangers. I'm guessing it's sour grapes on his end, with so-called popular opinion to back those sour grapes up.

Also, why did I see a pic of Carton wearing a Devils jersey? Is he actually a fan or did he lose a bet?
Carton's the dumbest sports personality I've ever seen talking hockey. Saw an episode of theirs in between games 5, and 6 of the ECF. He started talking, and was one of the most ignorant idiots I've heard. He said Marty's goaltending was bad, and every goal he let in was soft in game 5. Even the Prust breakaway where Marty missed the pokecheck.

He also ripped Lundqvist, and said the king played like the queen. While it was funny hearing him rip Lundqvist he still sounded like an idiot. He blamed every goal the Devils scored on Lundqvist including the one that went off a skate in front, and the Carter one as well. He also blamed Lundqvist for letting in that goal from Kovy that was waived off for a high stick which is beyond stupid.

Bleedred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:46 AM
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"

Eh. Carton never claimed to be a Hockey fan. Quite to the contrary, every time someone brings up the NHL, he hits one of several "NOBODY CARES ABOUT HOCKEY!" buttons. He's kind-of forced to discuss it, so I give him a pass. Boomer, on the other hand, is a blatant Rangers homer who never gives the Devils (or the Isles) a fair shake, despite being on the Devils radio network.

Kings County KING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:48 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kings County KING View Post
Eh. Carton never claimed to be a Hockey fan. Quite to the contrary, every time someone brings up the NHL, he hits one of several "NOBODY CARES ABOUT HOCKEY!" buttons. He's kind-of forced to discuss it, so I give him a pass. Boomer, on the other hand, is a blatant Rangers homer who never gives the Devils (or the Isles) a fair shake, despite being on the Devils radio network.
I watched a game with the Islanders last year, and saw Boomer at the game. They showed him at one point during the game. I was under the impression he was an Islanders fan until I actually saw commercials during the Devils games promoting their show, and he was talking about the Rangers.

Carton is annoying, and when I first saw him I thought the guy was Agassi! The tennis player!

Old
01-18-2013, 01:10 AM
NJDevilsZG
I'll drive team bus

I really don't care what any outsiders think about this contract. Period.
We have our No.1 C, great PKiller, Kovy's proven great linemate locked basically forever.
Life is good.

NJDevilsZG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:16 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I've just came to the conclusion they're slagging us for this cause it's the first extension in the new CBA. It was the first contract to test that 8 year limit. So it's gonna stick out just like Kovy's 15 year contract did. There is also the Devils factor which much of the mainstream hockey universe seems to follow. That's why we're still hearing it about Kovy, but not about Parise/Suter.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:47 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

Zajac is Pippen to Kovy's Jordan. This is a great signing. The mainstream sports media does not need to validate this for me.

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:57 AM
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleedred View Post
I watched a game with the Islanders last year, and saw Boomer at the game. They showed him at one point during the game. I was under the impression he was an Islanders fan until I actually saw commercials during the Devils games promoting their show, and he was talking about the Rangers.

Carton is annoying, and when I first saw him I thought the guy was Agassi! The tennis player!
I've known of Carton for a long time, a decade or so, since I used to listen to him on the 101.5 radio show "The Jersey Guys" (he's not even from Jersey, wtf.) - he's pretty funny, when he wants to be.

As for Boomer, he's from Long Island and he's done a few things with the Islanders, for charity, but he's an older guy who was already a Rangers fan before NY had two teams, so he refused to switch over. Hence, his strong affinity for the Rags. When you're living on Long Island and your local team that you're not rooting for wins four cups, it only makes you stronger in supporting the other team, methinks.

The Blueskirts can have a QB who lost in the Super Bowl and Spike Lee. We've got Kevin Smith and WWE Hall of Famer Edge.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:05 AM
battlingBard56

Quote:
I've known of Carton for a long time, a decade or so, since I used to listen to him on the 101.5 radio show "The Jersey Guys" (he's not even from Jersey, wtf.) - he's pretty funny, when he wants to be.

As for Boomer, he's from Long Island and he's done a few things with the Islanders, for charity, but he's an older guy who was already a Rangers fan before NY had two teams, so he refused to switch over. Hence, his strong affinity for the Rags. When you're living on Long Island and your local team that you're not rooting for wins four cups, it only makes you stronger in supporting the other team, methinks.

The Blueskirts can have a QB who lost in the Super Bowl and Spike Lee. We've got Kevin Smith and WWE Hall of Famer Edge.
And a ******** of legendary musicians and bands who come from this state.

battlingBard56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:54 AM
NjDevsRR

Quote:

NjDevsRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:57 AM
kiwidevil

Don't forget Shaq.

kiwidevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:06 AM
MartysBetterThanYou

Quote:
Originally Posted by NjDevsRR View Post

I like Rex, and I'm glad he became a Devils fan after moving to the area and not a Rags follower. Also a Jets fan I must confess...

MartysBetterThanYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:07 AM
Bleedred
Pete still coach?

I loved the TSN interview where Rex talked about the Leafs for more than half of it, and how they were doing good but missed the playoffs again!

Old
01-18-2013, 04:04 AM
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartysBetterThanYou View Post
I like Rex, and I'm glad he became a Devils fan after moving to the area and not a Rags follower. Also a Jets fan I must confess...
Sorry to be a buzzkill, but...

Yeah.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:59 AM
guitarguyvic

Haha you guys are all talking about the wrong Boomer. The guy on XM's NHL Network is Jim Boomer Gordon. He's actually a fairly knowledgeable hockey guy. I think he just dislikes long term contracts in general, and the "optics" of the first contract under the new CBA being max length. Generally I respect his opinions, but on this one I have to completely disagre.

guitarguyvic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:05 AM
njdevsfn95
Help Vas, Sprite.

ok, the "Boomer" that **** on the Zajac contract is this guy

not the one you wanted it to be

njdevsfn95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:19 AM
Kings County KING
"$8M GOALIE MY ASS!"

In other words, not the one who had to endure this at work:

A shame. But at least it gave you an excuse to post that wonderful pic.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:38 AM
Henrique Iglesias
Let's go Albany

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidevil View Post
Don't forget Shaq.
and Whoopi.

Henrique Iglesias is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:54 AM
tycobb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henrique Iglesias View Post
and Whoopi.
And Paul Simon.

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:05 AM
MartyOwns
NYRB!!!2013********33333

Quote:
Originally Posted by Getzo5 View Post
It`s too late for apologies, don`t you think? I may never recover from this.
dont give up on me, dammit. dont. i wont be ignored

MartyOwns is offline   Reply With Quote