HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Buffalo Sabres
Notices

Sabres Talk - Proposals, Speculation, Roster-shaping

Closed Thread

Old
01-16-2013, 06:01 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

vCash: 500
Awards:
Sabres Talk - Proposals, Speculation, Roster-shaping

Since so many complain rather than making one on their own...

01-16-2013, 06:17 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Send a message via AIM to Rob Paxon
I resent the assumption that I'm here to discuss these "Sabres"

Old
01-16-2013, 06:24 AM
HiddenInLight

I saw a Luke Adam for Dustin Jeffery offer proposed in the Foligno thread in the trade section. I like that deal for us, what would you guys think?

Old
01-16-2013, 07:01 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by HiddenInLight View Post
I saw a Luke Adam for Dustin Jeffery offer proposed in the Foligno thread in the trade section. I like that deal for us, what would you guys think?
I'd be interested

Old
01-16-2013, 07:38 AM
umbertovanek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I'd be interested
Seconded. Versatile reasonably young bottom 6 forward with a certain scoring touch. Seems like a good fit.

I also remember a Adam for Cormier proposal a couple of weeks back and wouldn't be opposed to that, either.

Old
01-16-2013, 07:57 AM
Selanne00008

Have we been involved in any rumors at all?
Seems like it's quiet and we have a set roster. (usually the time Darcy makes a move)

Still seems unlikely though..

Old
01-16-2013, 08:00 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selanne00008 View Post
Seems like it's quiet and we have a set roster. (usually the time Darcy makes a move)

Nope. There really haven't been many rumors, just talk of teams that might be good fits based on needs.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:01 AM
stokes84

Send a message via AIM to stokes84
Quote:

Darcy has said he wants to trade a defenseman before he has to send someone through waivers, but everyone knows that someone is going to have to go through waivers so there is virtually no leverage.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:23 AM
HiddenInLight

Quote:

Nothing from any reputable sources....most are silent about any NHL rumors at this point. Mostly reporting on camps and minor signings.

Less reputable sources (not at all reputable) including Eklund and IBN (lolz at both of them) have posted a few things, but nothing that really has any traction.

Old
01-16-2013, 08:37 AM
Chainshot
Global Moderator
Give 'em Enough Rope

Awards:
Quote:

Regier's hockey department is notoriously close-mouthed. Next to nothing ever comes out.

As was mentioned, Darcy himself has mentioned he has bodies on the blueline and is pursuing a trade to mitigate losing someone for free, but he has very little leverage unless a team figures they are going to lose out to an earlier waiver claim.

Old
01-16-2013, 09:32 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
Let's go the worst case scenario:

Team struggles out the gate, and come trade deadline time, team is hiliariously out of playoff contention.

We're having a FIRE...sale.

Obviously expiring contracts are gone

Regehr, Leopold, Pardy(if he's still around), Hecht (assuming he makes it that long)

What about the 2014 contracts? Miller, Vanek, Pomniville, Ott. Who stays, who goes?

Old
01-16-2013, 10:34 AM
New Sabres Captain
ForFriendshipDikembe

Quote:

Have to keep in mind that Regier runs a tight ship...there usually isn't much warning ahead of time that something is going to happen.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:45 AM
is the answer jesus

Quote:
Originally Posted by TehDoak View Post

Team struggles out the gate, and come trade deadline time, team is hiliariously out of playoff contention.

Regehr, Leopold, Pardy(if he's still around), Hecht (assuming he makes it that long)

What about the 2014 contracts? Miller, Vanek, Pomniville, Ott. Who stays, who goes?
I doubt any of Miller, Vanek, Pominville, or Ott are moved. The Sabres have no clear succesor to Miller so I think they'll keep him heading into the offseason and look to extend him at least a few more years. Pominville is the captain and most valuable/consistent forward we have so I think he also get re-upped in the offseason as well. Vanek could potentially be moved as it seems as though he's frequently in Ruff's doghouse and doesn't really produce commensurate to his contract, but I doubt that happens this trade deadline it would be far more likely at the 2014 trade deadline. Ott's tough to make a determination on seeing as how he's yet to play a single game as a Sabre. He fit's the tough to play against mold well so it seems unlikely they move him, but if they did I'm sure it wouldn't be until at least the offseason.

Old
01-16-2013, 10:54 AM
Rob Paxon
Z E M G U S

I think they'd only move expiring guys at the deadline, such as Leopold, Regehr, Hecht, Pardy, Scott, etc. You still need players for the following season and you can't just put in low-end prospects, guys who aren't ready, etc. Not gonna debate whether that's wise or not, but it's what I would expect and I think that's what I'd prefer.

If they do move a Vanek or such, it'd probably be more along the lines of the Hodgson deal where they're looking to get a guy who can play the following season and has a quality ceiling.

Old
01-16-2013, 12:11 PM
Woodhouse
Global Moderator

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Paxon View Post
I think they'd only move expiring guys at the deadline, such as Leopold, Regehr, Hecht, Pardy, Scott, etc. You still need players for the following season and you can't just put in low-end prospects, guys who aren't ready, etc. Not gonna debate whether that's wise or not, but it's what I would expect and I think that's what I'd prefer.

If they do move a Vanek or such, it'd probably be more along the lines of the Hodgson deal where they're looking to get a guy who can play the following season and has a quality ceiling.
I'm with RP. Plus, if they were to move any of those 2014 contracts, I think it'd be at the 2013 draft or 2014 deadline, when we likely have a 2013 NHL-ready prospect to replace one of them + whatever they return.

Old
01-16-2013, 03:30 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by umbertovanek View Post
Seconded. Versatile reasonably young bottom 6 forward with a certain scoring touch. Seems like a good fit.

I also remember a Adam for Cormier proposal a couple of weeks back and wouldn't be opposed to that, either.
That was me. Although I proposed that over the summer. Thought it made sense for both teams.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:01 AM
SabresFanInLA

McCormick going down?

Let's imagine that everyone is healthy and able to play (based on the 26 man training camp roster as of 1:39am PSD). One of the three guys not staying or playing for the Sabres, it appears to me, is Cody McCormick.

He was awesome two years ago, I loved him. I was at the game where they gave him Unsung Hero or some similar award and felt he deserved it.

But let's be honest: He sucked last year. Yes he got his bell rung and his finger was messed up so he couldn't fight, but he also stopped hitting. Anyone else notice that? He hit dudes in 2010-11, hard. Not last year, even before the big Tanner Glass concussion.

He also went from a point every 4 games, to a point every 12.

If he's not able to fight cuz of his finger (and not even one of the top 2 fighters on the team with Scott and Foligno in town) and he's nothing special defensively and he's not chipping in offensively and he's not drawing penalties, he's redundant.

You want toughness against the Bruins? 36, 24, 9, 6, 82, and 32 seems like enough, and except for Scott, those guys all fill multiple roles, and I think Lindy and Darcy know it.

Barring injuries (which there certainly will be and this will be a moot point) or a trade, I wouldn't be at all surprised if McCormick never plays another game for the Buffalo Sabres.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:47 AM
Jacob582

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInLA View Post
Let's imagine that everyone is healthy and able to play (based on the 26 man training camp roster as of 1:39am PSD). One of the three guys not staying or playing for the Sabres, it appears to me, is Cody McCormick.

He was awesome two years ago, I loved him. I was at the game where they gave him Unsung Hero or some similar award and felt he deserved it.

But let's be honest: He sucked last year. Yes he got his bell rung and his finger was messed up so he couldn't fight, but he also stopped hitting. Anyone else notice that? He hit dudes in 2010-11, hard. Not last year, even before the big Tanner Glass concussion.

He also went from a point every 4 games, to a point every 12.

If he's not able to fight cuz of his finger (and not even one of the top 2 fighters on the team with Scott and Foligno in town) and he's nothing special defensively and he's not chipping in offensively and he's not drawing penalties, he's redundant.

You want toughness against the Bruins? 36, 24, 9, 6, 82, and 32 seems like enough, and except for Scott, those guys all fill multiple roles, and I think Lindy and Darcy know it.

Barring injuries (which there certainly will be and this will be a moot point) or a trade, I wouldn't be at all surprised if McCormick never plays another game for the Buffalo Sabres.
I agree.
If we go above 23 with Gerbe and McCormick coming off IR, I thinks that McCormick or maybe Ellis is the first to get waived.

I do think that injuries to others will quickly dwindle any logjam.

Even if McCormick plays for Rochester, I can see him getting called up as a replacement.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:47 AM
TehDoak
General Zad

Send a message via AIM to TehDoak
I think what we will see is Ellis sent down and a d-man moved once the dust settles (gomez, redden signed, waivers cleared)

McCormick has years left on his deal.

That'll give us:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pomniville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grigerenko-Ott
Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta
McCormick/Scott

Myers-Sekera
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Regehr-Weber
Brennnan

Leopold moved for a 3rd

Old
01-18-2013, 06:58 AM
Zip15

vCash: 50
Quote:
I think what we will see is Ellis sent down and a d-man moved once the dust settles (gomez, redden signed, waivers cleared)

McCormick has years left on his deal.

That'll give us:

Vanek-Hodgson-Pomniville
Foligno-Ennis-Stafford
Leino-Grigerenko-Ott
Gerbe-Hecht-Kaleta
McCormick/Scott

Myers-Sekera
Sulzer-Ehrhoff
Regehr-Weber
Brennnan

Leopold moved for a 3rd
If so, I'm starting the Fire Darcy thread. Mark freaking Fistric got a 3rd rounder, and he isn't 1/3 of the player Leopold is. Jonny Oduya got a 2nd and 3rd at last year's deadline. If Regier sells that low on Leopold, I've had it.

Why do people so desperately want to undersell on Leopold? So that we can play TJ Brennan or Mike Weber in addition to Sulzer? Did I miss the tanking memo?

Old
01-18-2013, 08:14 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zip15 View Post
If so, I'm starting the Fire Darcy thread. Mark freaking Fistric got a 3rd rounder, and he isn't 1/3 of the player Leopold is. Jonny Oduya got a 2nd and 3rd at last year's deadline. If Regier sells that low on Leopold, I've had it.

Why do people so desperately want to undersell on Leopold? So that we can play TJ Brennan or Mike Weber in addition to Sulzer? Did I miss the tanking memo?
When does Regier ever sell low? He is known to over value to a fault. I don't think you have to worry about that.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:17 AM
tsujimoto74

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingpig View Post
When does Regier ever sell low? He is known to over value to a fault. I don't think you have to worry about that.
He sold pretty low on Roy, but I don't think anyone resents him for that one. I'm certainly glad to have Ott.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:20 AM
aceface33

I don't quite get The calls to move Leopold. I always saw him as a solid, if unspectacular dman with a bit of a scoring touch. If the team is out of it at the deadline all bets are off obviously, but if the team is contending, I would try to trade or worst case scenario, waive Weber first.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:32 AM
flyingpig
Pay the Troll Toll

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsujimoto74 View Post
He sold pretty low on Roy, but I don't think anyone resents him for that one. I'm certainly glad to have Ott.
True, but that selling low is not the norm with Regier and was to obtain an absolute need. Leopold for something else we need more is a different story than Leo for a lower pick.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:33 AM
WhoIsJimBob
Suffering

Here is Enroth's new lid.

Closed Thread