HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Scott Laughton impressing at camp

Old
01-17-2013, 08:21 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Prospects game on. I would really be happy if we could land Kerby Rychel. The guy has "Flyer" all over him. LW Windsor.
Rychel wouldn't be a bad pick. You'd have Hartnell - Giroux - Schenn as the first, Rychel - Couturier - Voracek on the second; Read - Laughton - Simmonds as a possible third line (I'm figuring in three years when Briere is probably done). That's a pretty decent top nine.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:31 PM
Psuhockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyClarkeFan16 View Post
Rychel wouldn't be a bad pick. You'd have Hartnell - Giroux - Schenn as the first, Rychel - Couturier - Voracek on the second; Read - Laughton - Simmonds as a possible third line (I'm figuring in three years when Briere is probably done). That's a pretty decent top nine.
Rychel is good but I prefer Frederic Gauthier. He is another gigantic two-way center who is just scratching his offensive ability. If you are talking three years, move Laughton to wing and Bobby Ryan will be a Flyer by then since his contract is up so lets assume Read and Voracek are gone by then. You would have Hartnell - Giroux - Ryan, Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds, Laughton - Gauthier - Cousins.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 09:34 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Rychel is good but I prefer Frederic Gauthier. He is another gigantic two-way center who is just scratching his offensive ability. If you are talking three years, move Laughton to wing and Bobby Ryan will be a Flyer by then since his contract is up so lets assume Read and Voracek are gone by then. You would have Hartnell - Giroux - Ryan, Schenn - Couturier - Simmonds, Laughton - Gauthier - Cousins.
Giroux
Couturier
Gauthier

down the middle in 3 years?

Montreal would hate us forever.

I'm down, but I think Gauthier is going to go a little high for us unless we're disappointed in our finish.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 10:31 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psuhockey View Post
Yeah, a lot of people really like Gauthier. He's only 17 and he's already built like Keith Primeau. He's also averaging over a point per game in the Q and he's playing exceptional defense. If the Flyers draft him, then you know that the plan will be to have a top line eventually of Schenn - Couturier - Giroux; a second line of Hartnell - Gauthier - Voracek; a third Read - Laughton - Simmonds; and a fourth of Talbot - Cousins - Rinaldo/Wellwood/McGinn. Right now though, I think from a prospect standpoint, the wing really needs some attention (besides defense, which is an obvious). Another thing to watch for is defenseman Steve Santini, who they also really like. He's going to Boston College next season and he's been guaranteed top four playing time. Fantastic skating defenseman with offensive ability and a mean streak a mile wide. He's been referred to in some circles as Chelios-lite.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:01 AM
GoneFullHextall
RIP Andy B.

vCash: 50
I hope we give free agent college defenseman Andrej Sustr a look this spring after Nebraska-Omaha's season ends. The kid is huge and many scouts drool over his upside. 6'8" 220.
He garnered a ton of interest last spring but went back to school. He will be highly sought after so it wont be easy.

GoneFullHextall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:11 AM
Psuhockey

Nate Schmidt is another undrafted defensemen out of Minnesota who might be worth a look. If the Flyers go defensemen in the first, I really like Robert Hagg too. I just hope the Flyers don't trade draft picks this year for band aids like they do every year. This years draft is so deep they could get a great defensmen in the 2nd. They could add multiple high end prospects their pool is missing.

Psuhockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Laughton is a fluid skater and aggressive, but he could use some size. He has time, but he's a little undersized right now.

Flyotes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:12 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener View Post
Laughton is a fluid skater and aggressive, but he could use some size. He has time, but he's a little undersized right now.
Laughton is 6'1, 195 pounds. I'd say that he's a very good size. He's probably going to top out at 205 - 210 pounds. I don't think he's undersized at all.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Laughton is 6'1, 195 pounds. I'd say that he's a very good size. He's probably going to top out at 205 - 210 pounds. I don't think he's undersized at all.
Soaking wet, maybe.

He could use that 10-15 pounds. I've stood next to the guy. He's solidly built, but lean. If he is mucking and grinding, I would prefer he takes up more space as long as he doesn't lose speed.

Wiki has him at listed at 177. That's 18 lbs less than your claim (and probably wiki is wrong).
Oshawa has him listed at 190.
So does the Flyer's .pdf of the training camp roster.

6'1 190 is not that big, either. Briere is ~180 lbs. He has ten more pounds than Briere.

Due to the shortened season, never having played at NHL intensity, and that taking a regular shift a massive workout, he could lose 6-10 lbs over the season as well.

Last edited by Flyotes: 01-18-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old
01-18-2013, 10:29 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Yeah, a lot of people really like Gauthier. He's only 17 and he's already built like Keith Primeau. He's also averaging over a point per game in the Q and he's playing exceptional defense. If the Flyers draft him, then you know that the plan will be to have a top line eventually of Schenn - Couturier - Giroux; a second line of Hartnell - Gauthier - Voracek; a third Read - Laughton - Simmonds; and a fourth of Talbot - Cousins - Rinaldo/Wellwood/McGinn. Right now though, I think from a prospect standpoint, the wing really needs some attention (besides defense, which is an obvious). Another thing to watch for is defenseman Steve Santini, who they also really like. He's going to Boston College next season and he's been guaranteed top four playing time. Fantastic skating defenseman with offensive ability and a mean streak a mile wide. He's been referred to in some circles as Chelios-lite.
That is why I like Rychel. He should be there when we pick in the 20's. And he fits the mold of what I look for in a Flyer. But if we pick earlier than that then of course I could see a different selection. But Kerby would fit in well here with this young group Homgren has put together.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:34 AM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Soaking wet, maybe.

He could use that 10-15 pounds. I've stood next to the guy. He's solidly built, but lean. If he is mucking and grinding, I would prefer he takes up more space as long as he doesn't lose speed.

Wiki has him at listed at 177. That's 18 lbs less than your claim (and probably wiki is wrong).
Oshawa has him listed at 190.
So does the Flyer's .pdf of the training camp roster.

6'1 190 is not that big, either. Briere is ~180 lbs. He has ten more pounds than Briere.
6'1" 190lbs is not slight by any means. Pretty solid if you ask me. To me Simmonds is on the slight side.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:38 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
6'1" 190lbs is not slight by any means. Pretty solid if you ask me. To me Simmonds is on the slight side.
That's why I said a little undersized. He's solid. I would prefer if he went up to Voracek's size 6'1 205 (at some point). Besides his puck handling skills, there is a reason the puck is difficult to get away from him.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:43 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Simmonds is "wirey" ...that benefits him in many other ways even if supposedly his build is not exactly WWF and his legs are supposedly avian-like...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:46 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
Due to the shortened season, never having played at NHL intensity, and that taking a regular shift a massive workout, he could lose 6-10 lbs over the season as well.
But so does everyone else.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:05 AM
Flyotes
JVR is Pigeon Caw!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snotbubbles View Post
But so does everyone else.
You're 100% right, but it is not everyone's 1st year doing so and managing it. He's a relentless attacker in the corners. Size helps. Imagine if he loses 8 lbs (hypothetical--you tend to shed a lot quickly, then it slows down) and goes down to 182lbs and then we face NJ's forwards in the playoffs. You want a guy of his style and tempo to be able to bang with force on a bottom six role. That's why I said he's a little undersized.

He could be fine. Schenn is roughly the same size and seems fine in the corners.

Edit: I think I just like the size on the Kings roster.

Last edited by Flyotes: 01-18-2013 at 11:16 AM.
Old
01-18-2013, 11:36 AM
MildlyAwesome
Rational Leaf Fan

Just out of curiosity, since I really don't know the prospect, how good offensively do you guys expect him to be? Not just now but down the road as well?

Will he exclusively line up down the middle? Is he destined for juniors after 5 games?

MildlyAwesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Snotbubbles

Quote:
You're 100% right, but it is not everyone's 1st year doing so and managing it. He's a relentless attacker in the corners. Size helps. Imagine if he loses 8 lbs (hypothetical--you tend to shed a lot quickly, then it slows down) and goes down to 182lbs and then we face NJ's forwards in the playoffs. You want a guy of his style and tempo to be able to bang with force on a bottom six role. That's why I said he's a little undersized.

He could be fine. Schenn is roughly the same size and seems fine in the corners.

Edit: I think I just like the size on the Kings roster.
Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't he been playing hockey for awhile now. If anything, he's already shed the "quickly" weight you're referring to.

Snotbubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Quote:
Originally Posted by MildlyAwesome View Post
Just out of curiosity, since I really don't know the prospect, how good offensively do you guys expect him to be? Not just now but down the road as well?

Will he exclusively line up down the middle? Is he destined for juniors after 5 games?
Honestly, I see Laughton topping out as a 20 goal - 50 point centerman in the NHL who plays a terrific two way game. Could be a Guy Carbonneau clone when all is said and done.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:55 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

I heard some people comparing him to Michael Peca...before the injuries of course.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:01 PM
JVR21
Sexy Hexy

vCash: 50
I'm pretty excited that this kid is all but certain to start the season in the NHL.

JVR21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:24 PM
Broad Street Elite

This discussion mirrors everything said about Couturier last season. Wasn't physically ready. Would get pushed off the puck too easily by older, more developed men.

I don't know if Laughton is ready. Neither will the Flyers. We'll start to find out tomorrow and over the next 5 games, then it's decision time. I will say this though... If he can help the team, I'd rather Laughton play 14 minutes or so a game at the NHL level than 18+ minutes a game in Oshawa.

Broad Street Elite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:27 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Provolone & The Neck

vCash: 470
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post
This discussion mirrors everything said about Couturier last season. Wasn't physically ready. Would get pushed off the puck too easily by older, more developed men.

I don't know if Laughton is ready. Neither will the Flyers. We'll start to find out tomorrow and over the next 5 games, then it's decision time. I will say this though... If he can help the team, I'd rather Laughton play 14 minutes or so a game at the NHL level than 18+ minutes a game in Oshawa.
I'd love to see him do something dramatic in the game tomorrow. Score a big goal. Level Crosby. Something like that. I love when new guys make a big impression. I'm not expecting this to happen, but I would love to see it.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:56 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broad Street Elite View Post

I agree here with you. But you have to remember that Scott plays a more physical game than Sean and he will be in more "battles" along the wall. I was not to concerned about Couts because of that. Can you just imagine what will be going through Scott's mind tommorow when he steps on the ice in a nationaly televised game for the 1st time? Good luck young man.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Honestly, I see Laughton topping out as a 20 goal - 50 point centerman in the NHL who plays a terrific two way game. Could be a Guy Carbonneau clone when all is said and done.
Wow Richards, Carbonneau, Peca. Very nice comparisons to say the least.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:17 PM
El Dandy*
...Menace To Society

I mean, I don't expect him to get more than the 5 games... but I'm really excited to see him and I hope he makes their decision a tough one.

El Dandy* is offline   Reply With Quote