HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Realistic Expections for Dougie Hamilton This Season.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:26 AM
Afam*

vCash: 500
Realistic Expections for Dougie Hamilton This Season.

On the Bruins sports daily site, i pecked him at 20-25 goals and 30- 40 assists and some posters told me that would be a great season for Dougie and if he had that, they would go nuts.

I have seen them tampered my exceptions and now knowing what a good stats for a Nhl Defenseman should look like, i say that Dougie Hamilton scores 8, 9 goals and tails about 15 assists and gets some minutes on the second Powerplay. What do others think?

Afam* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:37 AM
Shaun
beauty

vCash: 50
11 points

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:47 AM
SpokedLightning
Tampa Bound

vCash: 167
If he learns to play great D and has 10-15 points I'd say that's a great 1st season for him.

SpokedLightning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:53 AM
Latrappe
Selke winner

Points doesn't matter. He need to learn how to become an NHL'er and play sound defense,first.

Latrappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:12 AM
jasonbaz77*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latrappe View Post
Points doesn't matter. He need to learn how to become an NHL'er and play sound defense,first.
Yep, I want to see the same curve as Seguin. A great season means he cuts his mistakes down to a minimum. Seguin was a liability on the ice when he first started, then by the end he became a weapon with imperfections.

It won't be points as much as passing the eye test. I have a feeling we will be very happy by the end of the season as long as he gets some playing time and listens to guys like DS and Chara.

jasonbaz77* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:20 AM
BNHL
HFBoards Sponsor

3 goals 6 assists.

BNHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:07 AM
Salem13

I predict the boards will be afire with Claude's mishandling by February.

Salem13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:19 AM
amazingcrwns
IBelieveThatWeWilWin

I think he ends up with 3 goals, 10 assists and plays in 40 games. I think 8 games in the press box watching and learning souns about right. I'm not worried about what he does in the offensive zone though, this season should be about learning the NHL game and improving on the defensive end of the ice. I think the 3 goals and 10 assists will come because he'll spend a fair amount of time on the powerplay.

amazingcrwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:22 AM
Nightslyr

Send a message via AIM to Nightslyr
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEasyA View Post
On the Bruins sports daily site, i pecked him at 20-25 goals and 30- 40 assists and some posters told me that would be a great season for Dougie and if he had that, they would go nuts.

I have seen them tampered my exceptions and now knowing what a good stats for a Nhl Defenseman should look like, i say that Dougie Hamilton scores 8, 9 goals and tails about 15 assists and gets some minutes on the second Powerplay. What do others think?
There's so much more to hockey, especially for defensemen, than points. What you should look for:

Positioning - does he take good angles to the puck carrier, or does he seem to get turned around/forced to scramble a lot? When the puck is away from him, is he still covering his side near the front of the net?

Physical play - does he initiate contact? Can he take the puck away from an opponent, or at least pin them to the boards for someone else to come in and take it away? Does he get knocked down a lot, or can he stay on his skates even after someone tries to hit him?

Puck skills - can he make good passes to get the puck out of the defensive zone, or does he simply give it away? Can he keep the puck in the offensive zone when it gets shot around the boards?

As a rookie, he'll be inconsistent in all those things. The important thing is that he shows some improvement as time goes on. Defenseman is a very hard position to learn. Most don't get comfortable/competent until after they play in the league for a few years. So, the key isn't to have unrealistic expectations. Looking at it like, "He needs X points or else he sucks," is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

At this stage in Hamilton's career, any offensive output would be gravy. The key to this year is him getting comfortable in Julien's system and playing against men. When he gets to the point where the system feels natural to him (when he can react and play on instinct rather than think), and when he earns increased ice time, his offensive numbers will come.

Nightslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:24 AM
chippa13*

15 goals 58 assists

playing in the O.

chippa13* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:34 AM
ODAAT

GP- 38
G-3
A- 11
Pts- 14

TOI, first 20 games 10-12 mins per

Final 18- 12-15mins

Continued development from the kid as this shortened season moves along, learning from an excellent coaching staff and a buncha wise men on the blueline

ODAAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:35 AM
jmeehan1985

I know it's hard to be optimistic about Hamilton having a great year but he will have a much better opportunity then Seguin did. There is a much more of a need for a defenseman. This kid has elite talent and I think by years end could see some first Powerplay time. I do agree with the post saying he will watch a few games in the press box but assuming he does get somewhere around 25 to 30 Pts would not surprise me at all. He was the defenseman player of the year in Juniors and I think he will shock people in his first year in Boston. Lets Go Bruins Bring back the Cup!!!

jmeehan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BergyMeister View Post
If he learns to play great D and has 10-15 points I'd say that's a great 1st season for him.
Agreed and those stats will also produce some here to begin threads like "Dougie`s being ruined by Claude"

Old
JoeIsAStud
HFBoards Sponsor

40 games and 500 minutes. Plays postseason games

I hope he is able to dress consistently, and also play when he does dress. Will be disappointing if he starts pulling 5-8 minutes of ice time games

JoeIsAStud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:49 AM
jmeehan1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post

I hope he is able to dress consistently, and also play when he does dress. Will be disappointing if he starts pulling 5-8 minutes of ice time games
You can have a top 6 defenseman playing 5 to 8 mins a game

jmeehan1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:53 AM
ODAAT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeIsAStud View Post

Whether he dresses consistently won`t be the question IMO, it`s whether he shows enough on the ice for the coaching staff to continue putting him out there. How much Dougie plays depends on Dougie.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:10 AM
BruinsBtn
HFBoards Sponsor

Same as my expectations for Seguin in year 1.

That he has a good attitude and works hard. Some semblance of the ability to keep the puck out of his own net would be nice as well.

BruinsBtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:14 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

37 g, 84 a.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:15 AM
bp13

15 G, 55A, 70 Pts.

Norris Trophy

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:20 AM
BubbaBoot

To stay healthy and not fall prey to the maladies that did in Gordie Kluzak.

(Excuse me, I now have to knock on wood).....

BubbaBoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:41 AM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post
There's so much more to hockey, especially for defensemen, than points. What you should look for:

Positioning - does he take good angles to the puck carrier, or does he seem to get turned around/forced to scramble a lot? When the puck is away from him, is he still covering his side near the front of the net?

Physical play - does he initiate contact? Can he take the puck away from an opponent, or at least pin them to the boards for someone else to come in and take it away? Does he get knocked down a lot, or can he stay on his skates even after someone tries to hit him?

Puck skills - can he make good passes to get the puck out of the defensive zone, or does he simply give it away? Can he keep the puck in the offensive zone when it gets shot around the boards?

As a rookie, he'll be inconsistent in all those things. The important thing is that he shows some improvement as time goes on. Defenseman is a very hard position to learn. Most don't get comfortable/competent until after they play in the league for a few years. So, the key isn't to have unrealistic expectations. Looking at it like, "He needs X points or else he sucks," is just setting yourself up for disappointment.

At this stage in Hamilton's career, any offensive output would be gravy. The key to this year is him getting comfortable in Julien's system and playing against men. When he gets to the point where the system feels natural to him (when he can react and play on instinct rather than think), and when he earns increased ice time, his offensive numbers will come.
Thanks bro. I agree with everything you just said. That was very informative and i learnt alot my reading it. It should be called Key guide on how to be a good NHl Defenseman

Old
01-18-2013, 08:44 AM
Afam*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightslyr View Post

Thanks bro. I agree with everything you just said. That was very informative and i learnt alot my reading it. It should be called Key guide on how to be a good NHl Defenseman

side note. I had a leaf fan send me a friend request.lol. Cmon now.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Fire Julien

vCash: 1340
8 G, 12 A, 3 fights, +15

Fire Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:03 AM
BBB24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salem13 View Post
I predict the boards will be afire with Claude's mishandling by February.
I think you are being pretty generous, I predict that boards will be afire by Sunday morning.

BBB24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:08 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBB24 View Post
I think you are being pretty generous, I predict that boards will be afire by Sunday morning.
"He's RUININ the kid!!"

My only expectation of Dougie is that he adjusts and improves.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote