HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Thread XIV

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-17-2013, 08:55 PM
  #101
Kass Effect
Registered User
 
Kass Effect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Data Corrupted
Posts: 1,254
vCash: 500
Love how he just barges into the pack, then quickly flicks it in, Goalie was helpless.

Kass Effect is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:00 PM
  #102
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProspectProphet View Post
I like the Mallet pick. How many hard hitting, skilled fighters does our prospect pool have? If he makes it, I think he could be very useful. Not that Severson wouldn't be, but we have Tanev, Corrado, Mcnally, Tommernes that are young legit hopefuls. Mallet fills a dire need imo, and if he pulls it all together he could be an high impact energy guy, responsible enough for a regular shift, and chip in a few goals here and there. We know he would've been taken by another team somewhere before our next pick, and no matter the outcome - I like that management took action instead of hoping their guy would slide to them, only to lose out and not address a more pressing need, as Canucks are set on D for the near-longish future.
Developing really good young role players is a worthwhile endeavour. A guy like Hansen is a great example. He's been making big contributions on this team for a few years and he's still a great deal. Teams that don't have to overpay them in FA and the rest of your lineup can suffer. I wouldn't trade Hansen for Joel Ward and makes 2.5 x as much money.

Scurr is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:04 PM
  #103
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,370
vCash: 500
15 goals in 39 games is impressive. That's a 21 goal pace. As long as he keeps pace he's looking like he'll put together a very solid rookie season.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 09:06 PM
  #104
Luck 6
\\_______
 
Luck 6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Vancouver
Posts: 7,370
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Developing really good young role players is a worthwhile endeavour. A guy like Hansen is a great example. He's been making big contributions on this team for a few years and he's still a great deal. Teams that don't have to overpay them in FA and the rest of your lineup can suffer. I wouldn't trade Hansen for Joel Ward and makes 2.5 x as much money.
Many don't seem to get this. Drafting and developing a good 3rd line player has its benefits. Having Hansen at 1.1mil is awesome, same with Burrows at 2mil. We would have to pay these guys twice as much to entice them during free agency.

Luck 6 is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 10:54 PM
  #105
Reign Nateo
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: Canada
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,656
vCash: 500
People will think I'm overhyping him, and I've used this comparison before, but I've seen him play live a couple times and watched the highlights and the player Jensen reminds me of is Jeff Carter. I don't know if he's as strong or quite as skilled, but as far as playing style, they're similar. Both will drive the net, protect well to go along with heavy wrist shots. Jensen does not shy away from physicality from what I've seen either. Looking like a good prospect to say the least. Not that I'm saying he's Jeff Carter, high praise, but that's who he reminds me of.

Reign Nateo is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:01 PM
  #106
Jevo
Registered User
 
Jevo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Country: Denmark
Posts: 2,491
vCash: 500
Man that release, so fast and with so much power as well. Get him on the PP with the Sedins and he'll be bathing in goals soon enough.

Jevo is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:21 PM
  #107
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Developing really good young role players is a worthwhile endeavour. A guy like Hansen is a great example. He's been making big contributions on this team for a few years and he's still a great deal. Teams that don't have to overpay them in FA and the rest of your lineup can suffer. I wouldn't trade Hansen for Joel Ward and makes 2.5 x as much money.
Jannick Hansen was a 9th round pick.

Big difference between passing on prime talent in the top 60 for a grinder, and finding a diamond in the rough, role player after pick 200.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:26 PM
  #108
ZenMaster*
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 555
vCash: 500
Jensen-X-Kassian is going to be a dominant line. We just need a star center prospect in the making (Gaunce does not count). Hopefully Gillis can acquire one with the Luongo trade; Bjugstad, Shore, R.Johansen or Cotourier would be exactly what this team needs.

ZenMaster* is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:28 PM
  #109
Scurr
Registered User
 
Scurr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Whalley
Country: Canada
Posts: 7,862
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Jannick Hansen was a 9th round pick.

Big difference between passing on prime talent in the top 60 for a grinder, and finding a diamond in the rough, role player after pick 200.
Hansen would have been a worthwhile 2nd round pick. Same with Wayne Simmonds and Ryan O'Reilly.

Scurr is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:30 PM
  #110
Cocoa Crisp
Registered User
 
Cocoa Crisp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: NYC
Country: Hong Kong
Posts: 2,765
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Jensen-X-Kassian is going to be a dominant line. We just need a star center prospect in the making (Gaunce does not count). Hopefully Gillis can acquire one with the Luongo trade; Bjugstad, Shore, R.Johansen or Cotourier would be exactly what this team needs.
That line needs a BMo-type. WCE v2.0.

Cocoa Crisp is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:31 PM
  #111
Tiranis
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Toronto, ON
Country: Czech_ Republic
Posts: 20,974
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Jannick Hansen was a 9th round pick.

Big difference between passing on prime talent in the top 60 for a grinder, and finding a diamond in the rough, role player after pick 200.
This is a misleading point though. You're claiming that Severson is a prime talent while Mallet is a grinder. Mallet outperformed a whole bunch of highly regarded prospects from the 2010 1st round last season. Severson looks good right now, how does that translate to the AHL and the NHL? Same applies to Mallet.

Transition from junior to pro is never a sure thing. Some guys have the size, the skating, and everything else and yet they just never make it because they miss the one thing that nobody noticed.

We're about 6 or 7 months removed from that draft, making any sort of judgements about any of these prospects is completely ridiculous.

Tiranis is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:43 PM
  #112
thefeebster
Registered User
 
thefeebster's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 5,542
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reign Nateo View Post
People will think I'm overhyping him, and I've used this comparison before, but I've seen him play live a couple times and watched the highlights and the player Jensen reminds me of is Jeff Carter. I don't know if he's as strong or quite as skilled, but as far as playing style, they're similar. Both will drive the net, protect well to go along with heavy wrist shots. Jensen does not shy away from physicality from what I've seen either. Looking like a good prospect to say the least. Not that I'm saying he's Jeff Carter, high praise, but that's who he reminds me of.
I don't think anyone will think you are overhyping him. Jeff Carter is a comparison I and several others here have used since the draft, and it wasn't just beacuse he wore #17 with the Generals. Their playing styles are very similar and their build as well. I think the greatest similarity is their uncanny ability to score around the net in so many ways, through tips, rebounds, finding those loose pucks and just their clean snappers. I'd extend that comparison to what has plagued them both; their enigmatic play throughout the course of a season. Where they differed at the draft was their defensive game; Carter's was considered very mature in his draft year. What i'm interested in seeing this spring is how Jensen has improved his play away from the puck. His offense will without a doubt get his foot in the door to the NHL, but improving his defense will go a long way in securing a spot on the team next season.

I also don't mind the Eriksson comparison, but i simply have never seen Nash in Jensen.

thefeebster is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:51 PM
  #113
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiranis View Post
This is a misleading point though. You're claiming that Severson is a prime talent while Mallet is a grinder. Mallet outperformed a whole bunch of highly regarded prospects from the 2010 1st round last season. Severson looks good right now, how does that translate to the AHL and the NHL? Same applies to Mallet.

Transition from junior to pro is never a sure thing. Some guys have the size, the skating, and everything else and yet they just never make it because they miss the one thing that nobody noticed.

We're about 6 or 7 months removed from that draft, making any sort of judgements about any of these prospects is completely ridiculous.
How does Mallet translate to the AHL?

So far he doesnt and the 2010 1st you have compared him to is Austin Watson.

Currently in his 1st pro season he has as many goals as mallet has games.

Severson is a full 2.5 years younger than Mallet.

His development from draft year to post draft year has been tremendous.

I like mallet as a prospect, but I still wanted Severson, and would still draft Severson over him.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:52 PM
  #114
Canuckee
Registered User
 
Canuckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Jannick Hansen was a 9th round pick.

Big difference between passing on prime talent in the top 60 for a grinder, and finding a diamond in the rough, role player after pick 200.
I wouldn't trade Hansen for a late first.

Canuckee is offline  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:56 PM
  #115
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scurr View Post
Hansen would have been a worthwhile 2nd round pick. Same with Wayne Simmonds and Ryan O'Reilly.
Both are top 6 forwards. Of course they make good 2nd's.

ROR should have been a 1st and was ranked there.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
01-17-2013, 11:59 PM
  #116
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canuckee View Post
I wouldn't trade Hansen for a late first.
Nor would I.

Didn't say I would.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 12:12 AM
  #117
Canuckee
Registered User
 
Canuckee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Vancouver
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,350
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Nor would I.

Didn't say I would.
If Mallet develops into a player anywhere close to Hansen, using a late second in a relatively weak draft seems great. I understand you prefer Severson though. Outside of stats, I know nothing about him so I can't comment on who I would prefer. I do recall, however, many disapointed we didn't draft Severson.

Canuckee is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:06 AM
  #118
trytobe
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 407
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Crisp View Post
That line needs a BMo-type. WCE v2.0.
Schroeder? a smaller, fast playmaking centreman. Kassian as Bert and Jensen as Naslund and we've got a homegrown WCE 2.0

obviously a pipe dream at this point to imagine that all three pan out like that but it would be awesome.

trytobe is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:44 AM
  #119
canuck4life16
Shinkaruk+Henrik=!!!
 
canuck4life16's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Vancity
Country: Canada
Posts: 11,807
vCash: 855
who are Jensen linemates in the SEL?

I would think Schroeder/Kassasin combo should stick together and Jensen/Gauce possible combo?

canuck4life16 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:08 AM
  #120
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenMaster View Post
Jensen-X-Kassian is going to be a dominant line. We just need a star center prospect in the making (Gaunce does not count). Hopefully Gillis can acquire one with the Luongo trade; Bjugstad, Shore, R.Johansen or Cotourier would be exactly what this team needs.
And why exactly doesn't Gaunce count?

PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:45 AM
  #121
hockeykid87
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 516
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
And why exactly doesn't Gaunce count?
I don't think there's a lot of people who consider him a top offensive talent. Even in the OHL, while he's been playing with pretty shoddy linemates his whole career, he's not an offensive dynamo.

hockeykid87 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:57 AM
  #122
arsmaster
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 17,851
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykid87 View Post
I don't think there's a lot of people who consider him a top offensive talent. Even in the OHL, while he's been playing with pretty shoddy linemates his whole career, he's not an offensive dynamo.
Your post reminds me, Gaunce and the Bulls are on sportsnet's Friday Night Hockey tonight.

About Gaunce, I don't think Backes was thought of as an offensive dynamo either, big body who plays hard, and is willing to battle in the greasier areas of the rink.

arsmaster is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:58 AM
  #123
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeykid87 View Post
I don't think there's a lot of people who consider him a top offensive talent. Even in the OHL, while he's been playing with pretty shoddy linemates his whole career, he's not an offensive dynamo.
They did right up until he was drafted by the Canucks and the talking heads said "if he has a weakness I guess it's footspeed". Which has now morphed into: he is a slug who will be lucky to max out as a third line centre. Leading up to last season he was the prototypical big centre every team covets.

PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 09:59 AM
  #124
PRNuck
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Calgary
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,289
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsmaster View Post
Your post reminds me, Gaunce and the Bulls are on sportsnet's Friday Night Hockey tonight.

About Gaunce, I don't think Backes was thought of as an offensive dynamo either, big body who plays hard, and is willing to battle in the greasier areas of the rink.
Oh **** I didn't know that! Thanks for the heads up.

They usually re-air these right? I might get in the doghouse if I watch tonight.


Last edited by PRNuck: 01-18-2013 at 10:06 AM.
PRNuck is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 10:25 AM
  #125
PG Canuck
Moderator
 
PG Canuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Prince George, BC
Country: Canada
Posts: 19,591
vCash: 2178
Quote:
Originally Posted by PRNuck View Post
Oh **** I didn't know that! Thanks for the heads up.

They usually re-air these right? I might get in the doghouse if I watch tonight.
I don't think they re-air Friday Night Hockey games, unless they do on SN1.

PG Canuck is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:02 AM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.