HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospect Talk PART V

Closed Thread

Old
01-17-2013, 11:40 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

vCash: 500
Being you guys are discussing Pedan, outside of Griffin Reinhart or any of the Bridgeport D-men, which defensive prospect do you guys;
1. See making the club first
2. See being the best long term player

Pelech?? Pokka?? Mayfield?? Russo?? Pedan??

I love what I'm hearing about all these kids. Pelech is having a great year in the OHL. He has over 30 points already and is considered more of a shut-down defenseman. Pokka had a great tournament in Russia this past month. He was one of the best D-men in the tournament. Russo is almost a PPG with Notre Dame this year and considered to have good leadership skills. Pedan is filling out and showing he can provide a decent amount of offense to go with his shut-down style. Gotta love that he's 6'4 and nasty as well. Speaking of 6'4 and nasty, how about Scott Mayfield. The kid has good wheels for a big man and has really good all around tools to go with a physical style of play.

I don't know who I like best......... So outside of Reinhart and the Bridgeport kids, anyone like any of these kids better than the others and if so, why???

Old
01-18-2013, 05:50 AM
InformTheMasses

Great question, and a nice problem to have. Still way too early to tell. I think all of the guys you list here are multiple years away from making it to the Islanders. So a lot will be determined in the years to come. I have seen Pelech and Pedan the most. What I will tell you is Pelech is a LOCK to make the NHL. Not only is he a true shut-down defenceman, he is as tough as they come and very solid. He can throw some thunderous checks. His offense has been a surprise and strictly a product of his ability to shoot the puck accurately on net throw screens and block attempts, puck seemingly always gets through, it's not a 'howitzer' by any means, but its decent.

I want Pokka to come across the pond next year and play in BPort if at all possible. He has played a couple of seasons now in SM-Liga against men and from all accounts, has not only handled himself well but has grown a lot as a player. I've gone from being 'not so enthusiastic' about this pick to VERY excited about his potential in a short amount of time. I think if he comes over next year learns the language and the smaller rinks he could be 12-18 months away from having a shot at the big club. He would also STILL be eligible to play in his 3rd WJC U20 next season, and will no doubt be a leader and huge contributor next season.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:16 AM
Degeneration Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformTheMasses View Post
Great question, and a nice problem to have. Still way too early to tell. I think all of the guys you list here are multiple years away from making it to the Islanders. So a lot will be determined in the years to come. I have seen Pelech and Pedan the most. What I will tell you is Pelech is a LOCK to make the NHL. Not only is he a true shut-down defenceman, he is as tough as they come and very solid. He can throw some thunderous checks. His offense has been a surprise and strictly a product of his ability to shoot the puck accurately on net throw screens and block attempts, puck seemingly always gets through, it's not a 'howitzer' by any means, but its decent.

I want Pokka to come across the pond next year and play in BPort if at all possible. He has played a couple of seasons now in SM-Liga against men and from all accounts, has not only handled himself well but has grown a lot as a player. I've gone from being 'not so enthusiastic' about this pick to VERY excited about his potential in a short amount of time. I think if he comes over next year learns the language and the smaller rinks he could be 12-18 months away from having a shot at the big club. He would also STILL be eligible to play in his 3rd WJC U20 next season, and will no doubt be a leader and huge contributor next season.
Was about to answer Petrocelli's question but your answer covers everything ITM.
Pelech's hockey sense is outstanding and he can play tough without the undisciplined
stuff.

Don't know if Pokka comes over but he's ready for Bridgeport. He's in a good spot either way.

Last edited by Degeneration Rex: 01-18-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old
01-18-2013, 08:51 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

A few things...

Niagara:
Should Hamilton actually stick in Boston (dunno), then that could be fairly good for Isles' fans with respect to Grahame, who should be first in line to get more PP minutes, as has been seen during i.e. the WJC. Surely it'd be a bit sad if Strome n' co. aren't playing playoff hockey. Then again, there have been times that Hockey Canada has taken a topflight CHLer to the men's World Championships (Eberle in 2010, Murray in 2012). Dunno if Strome would be considered for something like that...

Best Dman aside from Reinhart and BPorters:
Gonna have to agree that Pelech may just be a bit of a real solid prospect when it comes to has a true NHL future in the cards. The way he's stepped up this season and become such an all-important player for his team, even having gotten consideration for the WJC, says a heck of a lot about a 3rd rounder whose profile was that of a defensive defenseman. He also represented Canada at the U-18 last spring.

Otherwise, at the moment, there's little reason to think that any of Mayfield, Pedan, Russo, and Pokka aren't viable NHL prospects. They still have a ways to go, but things are looking good for all of them.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:52 AM
blinkman360
CdH for Norris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester9881 View Post
Some kids develop faster than others. Look at Gabriel Landeskog, he was a man amongst boys when he was drafted.... a kid that was both mentally and physically mature when his name was called.

Travis Hamonic was ready when he was called up. Nino, Bailey were not. Strome is doing fine things in the OHL, but he's not ready.... not physically and not mentally. Griff has some work to do as well.

I'm on the fence with Nino and even Nelson.... but why rush anyone right now? To appease a few fans? To maybe finish 8th in a shortened season?

Sorry, it doesn't make sense.... not when looking at the long term.
Well I guess that's where our opinions differ. I want this team to win this year. When Frans Nielsen is your 2nd line center, you need some scoring coming from your 3rd line. By just handing that spot to Casey Cizikas when you have guys like Strome, Nelson and even Sundstrom in the system is a joke, IMO.

I don't mind these guys getting the cautious treatment. My problem is with the Islanders, that if they knew this was the route they wanted to take with these guys: why not bring in some kind of one year stopgap/s? Throwing guys like Cizikas and McDonald and even Boyes into these important roles just makes it look like they want at least one more top-pick before they start trying to compete.

Old
01-18-2013, 10:58 AM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by blinkman360 View Post
Well I guess that's where our opinions differ. I want this team to win this year. When Frans Nielsen is your 2nd line center, you need some scoring coming from your 3rd line. By just handing that spot to Casey Cizikas when you have guys like Strome, Nelson and even Sundstrom in the system is a joke, IMO.

I don't mind these guys getting the cautious treatment. My problem is with the Islanders, that if they knew this was the route they wanted to take with these guys: why not bring in some kind of one year stopgap/s? Throwing guys like Cizikas and McDonald and even Boyes into these important roles just makes it look like they want at least one more top-pick before they start trying to compete.
My take is we are going to get to see Nino, Nelson, amybe Kabanov in Islander Jerseys this season. The Condensed schedule is going to bread injuries and slumps. The Islanders have 7 back to backs and will basicly be playing every other day. That is why the waiver pick-ups will be very important. Let Nino, Nelson get top line minutes in the AHL, they will be thrown into the fire soon enough.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:34 AM
InformTheMasses

Let's get Kabanov in a Sound Tigers Jersey for more than 5 minutes before we think about anything else.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:39 AM
Islanderfan17

Very happy to see that the organization has really learned from its mistakes and seems to be approaching development the right way now. Despite Strome tearing it up in the OHL, it seems from what I heard that he still isn't NHL ready (mainly due to size and strength). Reinhart will probably have to spend less time developing IMO, he has a huge frame that will translate pretty easily to the NHL he just has to polish his game and hopefully become a bit more offensive.

Keep Nino in the AHL for the season and let him dominate there, it will only do him good. Same with Nelson, no reason to bring either of those two up any time soon. Let Cizikas and Ullstrom play in the NHL, we can use their grit for our bottom 6. I personally believe that Ullstrom can become a 20 goal guy in the NHL and Cizikas can be a solid defensive forward.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:46 AM
InformTheMasses

Nino and Donovan named to the AHL All Star game.
http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=650874

Congrats to both of them.

Weird how Jon Landry wasnt selected, guess his 'superior Power Play skills' (as one or two people seemed to mention on this list) didn't get him the nod.

I guess it helps that the people who vote for the AHL All Stars ACTUALLY WATCH THE GAMES.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:46 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
I wouldn't say they are "handing" anyone the job in terms of Cizikas or Strome or anyone. Nobody had a chance to truly earn a job at camp and frankly, Strome and Nelson and Sundstrom show promise, but none are ready to play in the NHL AND contribute more than even Keith Aucoin.

Cizikas played last year and was pretty effective. I'd imagine he'd play an energy-type role with players he's familiar with in BP just until Bailey and Joensuu are ready.

Plus, the season hasn't started yet and we may get a Connolly today

I don't think Strome or any of the rookies are the best choice just yet, though Nino looked really good and has been solid in the AHL!

Old
01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
seafoam

vCash: 446
If Strome is not playing playoff hockey, he can suit up for Bridgeport when Niagra's season is over correct?

Old
01-18-2013, 11:52 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
If Strome is not playing playoff hockey, he can suit up for Bridgeport when Niagra's season is over correct?
yes.

or the New York Islanders.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:05 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
yes.

or the New York Islanders.

What about his ELC, does a year get burned off?

Old
01-18-2013, 12:29 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
nope. Not if his season is over and his whole junior commitment as well.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:36 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
nope. Not if his season is over and his whole junior commitment as well.
Nice, a couple of us were wondering about that. I think that was the case with Ryan O'Marra when he completed his Junior eligibility and joined Bridgeport for the playoffs.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:38 PM
scott99

Quote:
Nice, a couple of us were wondering about that. I think that was the case with Ryan O'Marra when he completed his Junior eligibility and joined Bridgeport for the playoffs.
Wow, Imagine Strome added to : Nino, Nelson, Ullstrom, Sundstrom, Kabanov and Persson, wow.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:44 PM
IslandersFan17

Quote:

If I may, why is it "handing" Cizikas a spot? From the few SounTigers games I have seen, as well as a lot of what I have read, Cizikas has more than earned a spot on the Islanders roster.

Might not reflect in the numbers, but Casey is a talented kid whom a lot of us have been excited to see since that WJC (a few years back) were Casey was the hardest working player on the ice.

I fore one am an enormous fan of Nelson. A friend of mine whom is a die hard Ranger fan would debate with me about who the better college player would be Krieder or Nelson. However, Casey is more ready to be in the bottom line role having already played with the big club and shown some flashes.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:44 PM
Jester9881

Quote:

Here's the difference.... Cizikas is ready, Strome isn't. Cizikas can slot into a role he's meant to play.... Strome can't. Thrusting Strome into a 2nd line center role at this juncture is exactly the kind of thinking that gave us the current Josh Bailey... and having him play bottom six minutes would be equally as awful (ask Nino).

There are no combination of players under Islander control right now, that would have them finish in the playoffs. So again, why set back the development of some key prospects other than to appease some impatient fans?

Old
01-18-2013, 03:48 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:

Thank you much for this specific answer, but even more so for all the videos and info you've been posting in this thread the past few weeks or so. I haven't gotten around to checking out the videos (except for that one of Pedan making that sick move near the blue line). Can you provide your youtube link once again? I'd like to take a look at a bunch of the videos when I have a bit of time.

As for your answer, pretty much what I expected. I'm fully aware all these kids are 2+ years away (unfortunately). I was just wondering if any of these kids was more likely to "shock these hf boards" with an amazing camp either in 2013-2014 or 2014-2015 and make the team ahead of schedule, who would it be? Believe me, I don't want to see any of these kids rushed. It was embarrassing watching Nino last year. But if any of these kids were going to 'knock the door down" and prove they were ready a bit ahead of schedule, I was wondering who would step up first. It's great to hear how high you are on Pelech. He seems very 'safe' and that isn't a bad thing. If Pelech is the safest of the group, I believe Pedan and/or Mayfield have the best chance of being the "home run" of the group. I am really rooting for Pedan and Mayfield, as they most likely have the highest upside and the more 6'4+ defensemen we have, the better. If Pedan's biggest problem is taking stupid penalties, well then I really like his chances. Good coaching and maturity can straighten out those mental errors, but his size, skating, natural ability and toughness cannot be taught (same goes for Mayfield).

Will Pelech and Pedan be eligible for Bridgeport next season or maybe even at the end of this season for the playoff stretch?? I am assuming Kichton will be signed as well. By the end of this year or beginning of next year, I believe Pedan, Pelech and Kichton will be in Bridgeport. Considering De Haan, Donovan, Ness, Landry, Wishart and now Finley are already there, spots on the blue line will be getting tight in Bridgeport very soon. It wouldn't surprise me in the least bit if Mayfield is signed after this NCAA season and sent to Bridgeport as well (ala Donovan several years back and Nelson last year). Then it would be REALLY crowded down there. Donovan or De Haan better make the big club soon. We're running out of spots on the blue line.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:07 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrocelli View Post
Will Pelech and Pedan be eligible for Bridgeport next seas
Pelech and Pedan can play for Birdgeport if their team gets booted fromt he playoffs as for next season Pelech has 1 more year of junior left, Pedan can go to the AHL

Old
01-18-2013, 04:40 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Quote:
I think the 5 game rule still applies for the NHL. I'm 75% sure it still applies.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:57 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Wow, Imagine Strome added to : Nino, Nelson, Ullstrom, Sundstrom, Kabanov and Persson, wow.
And how about if Snow can somehow convince Anders Lee to sign on for the end of the Sound Tigers season once ND is finished playing hockey. Now that would be fun to watch!!

Old
01-18-2013, 05:42 PM
OrangeZebra
Unregistered User

Any news on Kichton? I'm starting to get a bit worried that he hasn't been signed.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
petrocelli
I love the Draft!!

Quote:
Let's get Kabanov in a Sound Tigers Jersey for more than 5 minutes before we think about anything else.
This... After so many injury riddled years in juniors, I was really looking forward to seeing him play at Bridgeport this season...

Old
01-18-2013, 06:12 PM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeZebra View Post
Any news on Kichton? I'm starting to get a bit worried that he hasn't been signed.
Tell him to get on waivers.

Closed Thread