HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Notices

Could Raymond be the Bieksa of our Forward Corps?

Old
01-18-2013, 01:47 AM
ferroid

vCash: 500
Could Raymond be the Bieksa of our Forward Corps?

As anyone who has spent any length of time here should remember, Bieksa, after putting up some great numbers and getting a new contract, had two serious injuries in the space of two years, and as his play suffered, became the goat of the boards.

When Hamhuis and Ballard were acquired, everyone was falling over themselves rejoicing over what we thought would be the imminent jettisoning of Bieksa.

Fast forward two seasons, and a healthy Bieksa (with no small help from a steady partner in Dan Hamhuis) is one of the darlings of the team - a clutch playoff performer who bleeds blue and green.

My question is, are we seeing the same process happening to Mason Raymond? After posting his career high in points, he's regressed significantly over the past two years to the point where he has become the de facto whipping boy of the team. Like Bieksa, Raymond's two down years were characterized by a rash of injuries.

Obviously, this thread is inspired by Raymond's own inspired play during the scrimmage tonight. That said, the question is legitimate, and has some basis in reasonable logic.

Could Mason Raymond be the Kevin Bieksa of our forward group?

ferroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:50 AM
David Booth Fan

Send a message via MSN to David Booth Fan
maybe... but who is his Hamhuis? definitely not Kesler or Booth...

David Booth Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:55 AM
Smokey McCanucks

I think Raymond will be better another year removed from his back injury, he wasn't really 100% last season especially with the other injuries, tough to judge when we haven't see him play in ten months.

Smokey McCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:58 AM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokey McCanucks View Post
I think Raymond will be better another year removed from his back injury, he wasn't really 100% last season especially with the other injuries, tough to judge when we haven't see him play in ten months.
I think it's less to do with "still being injured" as it is to do with a summer spent training vs rehabbing.

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:08 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Maybe. Though Bieksa is such a success story because he came back to play the best hockey of his career. For Raymond, that would be about 30-35-65 with huge defensive contributions effectively making one of the best defensive forwards in the league.

Could it happen? Yes. Will it happen? Likely not. Doesn't mean he can't be a 20-25-45 guy and still be a big part of the team.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
Hammer79

I defended Bieksa all the time on these boards. People were actually moaning about losing O'Brien over Bieksa, and talking about Bieksa having negative value. He was in everyone's trade proposal threads, much like Luongo today, but Canucks fans were the ones proposing the cap dump trades. I suspected that his problems were related to a lingering injury, and that he was a physical D-man who could still turn it on for the playoffs. Public opinion didn't really turn around for him though until the series winner against the Sharks.

I've been down on Raymond, but I'm not writing him off. He's had to fight back from a bad injury in the SCF. He's going to need a strong playoff performance to turn around public opinion. He certainly has speed but he needs to stop losing his footing in the corners and on wrap-arounds. I certainly hope he can do it, because the Canucks need their secondary scoring to click if they want to go deep in the playoffs again.

Hammer79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
LickTheEnvelope
Decertified Poster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheTerror View Post
Hey maybe Schroeder will be a better NHLer than we all expect?

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:12 AM
WinterEmpire
Praise Dalpe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TedTheTerror View Post
After the scrimmages it looks like it might be Schroeder

WinterEmpire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:17 AM
maroon 6
Live and let live

vCash: 179
I cant believe I actually wanted to trade Bieksa for Filatov

maroon 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:20 AM
canuck4life16
Anti-tank campaign

vCash: 50
Not yet........if raymond score some big goal in the playoff......that be nice......aka Stanley cup winner goal (thinking ahead)

canuck4life16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:36 AM
Reverend Mayhem
1 for you, 19 for me

vCash: 940
Send a message via Skype™ to Reverend Mayhem
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
Here you there bro.

@Hammer: I was quite hard on Bieksa from the 2009-10 season till about just after the All-Star break. I don't think you could blame me with the way he played during that stretch BUT he did make me eat my words and I'm quite thankful of that. He's risen up to become one of my more favourite Canuck defenseman. I don't there has been a defenseman play at such an elite level in one particular series than he did vs San Jose. He played like a (no hyperbole) franchise #1 defender.

Reverend Mayhem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:49 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

vCash: 507
I really hope so, we need him to step up sometime here. I won't be holding my breath for very long, however.

PG Canuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:06 AM
professorchaos

Not until he fights Eager and superman punches Mike Richards.

professorchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:12 AM
Yossarian54

God I hope so.

Yossarian54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:23 AM
struckmatch

So he scores a hat trick in a freaking intersquad game and this is what gets posted?

struckmatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:15 AM
var

Are there any stats for how many penalties Ray's drawn with his tumbling moves?

Great hatty tonight, would be great to see him have success this year

var is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:19 AM
mossey3535

For his, our and the team's sake, please God yes.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:15 AM
me2
Seahawks 43

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by maroon 6 View Post
As some one in the trade Bieksa camp it was not just Filatov, it's Bieksa's cap space back which I would have tried for Michalek who was a UFA and then traded Bieksa if I got him. We probably would have kept Ehrhoff too.

Bieksa was terrible, it was not all physical, he made horrible decisions. I don't know if he felt he needed to be an offensive Dman but it ruined his defensive game. Pairing up with Mitchell and hamhuis and playing a safer game has done wonders for cutting out many of his idiot plays. He's still picking up points but they are safer points.

Last edited by me2: 01-18-2013 at 07:21 AM.
me2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:30 AM
Luck 6
\\_______

Here's the bottom line: Raymond will be good for 35-40 ES points this season. As far as I'm concerned, that's a guarantee. He made that mark the 2 seasons prior to his injury, with his best ES points season being the season *after* his 53 point season.

Whether he gets back to 50 point form depends on the powerplay. His points took a dip the season his PP minutes dropped (yet everyone on here seemed to rag on him anyways without considering that). When Kesler was moved to the 1st unit, we essentially benched the 2nd unit. This year with Kesler out, I have a feeling the 2nd unit will get some more PP time. Therefore, I believe Raymond will have no problem bouncing back to 50 point form. The difference between Raymond's 53 point season and his 39 point season was exactly that, because as I said, he scored more ES points (pro-rated) in his 39 point season.

All of the stats, keep in mind, should be pro-rated to a 48 game season.

Luck 6 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:22 AM
L4cer8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luck 6 View Post
Here's the bottom line: Raymond will be good for 35-40 ES points this season. As far as I'm concerned, that's a guarantee. He made that mark the 2 seasons prior to his injury, with his best ES points season being the season *after* his 53 point season.

Whether he gets back to 50 point form depends on the powerplay. His points took a dip the season his PP minutes dropped (yet everyone on here seemed to rag on him anyways without considering that). When Kesler was moved to the 1st unit, we essentially benched the 2nd unit. This year with Kesler out, I have a feeling the 2nd unit will get some more PP time. Therefore, I believe Raymond will have no problem bouncing back to 50 point form. The difference between Raymond's 53 point season and his 39 point season was exactly that, because as I said, he scored more ES points (pro-rated) in his 39 point season.

All of the stats, keep in mind, should be pro-rated to a 48 game season.
I think Schroeder has more than enough offensive prowess to run that second unit productively. Hopefully we'll see a bump in Raymond's PP production as a result.

L4cer8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:27 AM
MikeK

vCash: 14214
I don't know. I have been waiting for Raymond to putt it all together for a while now. Even before his serious injury. He has all the tools to be a top scorer in the league but for some reason those skills haven't aligned for him. I hope this is his break out year.

MikeK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:47 AM
CookieCrumbs*
Heads Up!

It was an inter squad scrimmage people. Calm down.

CookieCrumbs* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:18 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by struckmatch View Post
So he scores a hat trick in a freaking intersquad game and this is what gets posted?
We should trade for Kadri ASAP too, and our scoring problems are resolved!

Old
01-18-2013, 10:37 AM
Shareefruck

In that he has on-and-off consistency? Yes

In that he it has something to do with expectations/contracts? No.

Bieksa is inconsistent, sometimes brilliant, sometimes terrible, with or without his injuries, IMO. I think with him it's partly laziness/lack of focus.

With Raymond I think it has more to do with his limitations-- We've never seen him play great in playoff situations, really, and we always see him play great in mean-nothing, weaker opposition situations. It's just the way his skillset is to a degree. Unlike Bieksa, even when he's terrible, he's always working his ass off and trying to do all the right things.

Last year's level of awfulness was all the back injury, though, IMO.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:39 AM
PG Canuck
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
In that he has on-and-off consistency? Yes

In that he it has something to do with expectations/contracts? No.

Bieksa is inconsistent, sometimes brilliant, sometimes terrible, with or without his injuries, IMO.
Raymond just needs a saviour, like Bieksa, and he could return to his old goal scoring form.