HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Colorado Avalanche
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Around the League 2012-12 I: Gary and Donald sitting in a tree

Old
01-17-2013, 04:45 PM
Ceremony
maybe it's time

vCash: 365
I don't see why Stastny and Duchene being out best players would be a bad thing.

ďItís embarrassing. Iím embarrassed to be here right now. Itís not even funny. And itís just embarrassing, the way we, you know, the energy we have in the room and the way we approach practices and the way we approach this game. Itís not how youíre going to win any games in this league." - Jean-Sebastien Giguere, April 8 2013
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceremony View Post
I don't see why Stastny and Duchene being out best players would be a bad thing.
Stastny has more or less plateaued. He's a very good, solid, all-around player. But he's not elite. And I'll be pretty surprised if he sticks around past the remainder of his megadeal.

Dutchy hasn't plateaued (certainly HOPE not at the very least), but I don't think he'll be quite the impact player we were hoping for. Pure speculation on my part, just my opinion/gut feeling, nothing more.

I think the Avs can and will be a contender with Stazz and Dutch playing a part in that success...but IMO if they're the best pieces of said team, we might be a squad that makes the playoffs now and again, sure, but not a Stanley Cup contender.

Av-merican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:53 AM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Anyone see the Evander Kane feature on Sportsnet? He comes off as a huge tool, even more than usual.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:31 AM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avs_19 View Post
Anyone see the Evander Kane feature on Sportsnet? He comes off as a huge tool, even more than usual.
He didn't take a call on his money phone in the middle of the interview, did he?

Old
01-18-2013, 08:43 AM
Ceremony
maybe it's time

vCash: 365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av-merican View Post
Stastny has more or less plateaued. He's a very good, solid, all-around player. But he's not elite. And I'll be pretty surprised if he sticks around past the remainder of his megadeal.

Dutchy hasn't plateaued (certainly HOPE not at the very least), but I don't think he'll be quite the impact player we were hoping for. Pure speculation on my part, just my opinion/gut feeling, nothing more.

I think the Avs can and will be a contender with Stazz and Dutch playing a part in that success...but IMO if they're the best pieces of said team, we might be a squad that makes the playoffs now and again, sure, but not a Stanley Cup contender.
Well if they both play at the peak of their abilities, then they can both be PPG players. That seems good enough to me.

Last edited by Ceremony: 01-18-2013 at 12:11 PM.
Ceremony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:37 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

vCash: 112
Quote:
Are you talking of that time in Vegas where he had a picture of a " money phone" taken or is it something new ?

Frenchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:55 AM
Foppa2118

Quote:
And I'm saying in those years in which Paul Stastny has been asked to be the best player, the Avalanche have sucked. Not meant as a dig on Paulie--hell, I even have a #26 Avs sweater at home--but he should ultimately not be our best center anymore than John-Michael Liles should ultimately have been our best defenseman.

As for Duchene, sure, I'm expecting a hell of a lot more maturation in his game...but IMO for the team to succeed it needs to be on the backs of O'Reilly, Landeskog, and Johnson. Management has made it clear they're building the very identity of the team around them.
I'm really not following your logic lately. Stastny lead the team in scoring in 07-08 and 09-10, and both years the team made the playoffs. O'Reilly led the team last year, and they missed.

Stastny and Duchene are the only players on the team capable of putting up a PPG or better on a full season . If one of them isn't the team's best player this year, they'll miss the playoffs again. All but guaranteed. It's why offensive players get paid more.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:52 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foppa2118 View Post
I'm really not following your logic lately. Stastny lead the team in scoring in 07-08 and 09-10, and both years the team made the playoffs. O'Reilly led the team last year, and they missed.

Stastny and Duchene are the only players on the team capable of putting up a PPG or better on a full season . If one of them isn't the team's best player this year, they'll miss the playoffs again. All but guaranteed. It's why offensive players get paid more.
I said Ryan O'Reilly is the team's best player, not their best scorer. So yeah, the year he led the team in scoring, they missed the playoffs. I don't think anyone here is expecting Gabriel Landeskog to be our best scorer year-in, year-out either. Both players do so much more than put up numbers.

Again, yeah, we'll need key contributions from Stastny and Duchene in order to be successful. The team can't afford another sub-par season from either. But neither of those guys can play in all situations. O'Reilly can, and does so more than effectively. If Stastny and Duchene are our best scoring forwards this season, great...if they are our best players though, not so great IMO.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:50 PM
Hennessy
Blank Space

Quote:
Again, yeah, we'll need key contributions from Stastny and Duchene in order to be successful. The team can't afford another sub-par season from either. But neither of those guys can play in all situations. O'Reilly can, and does so more than effectively. If Stastny and Duchene are our best scoring forwards this season, great...if they are our best players though, not so great IMO.
Stastny can play on the PK, and used to do so effectively before the team evolved around him where he was no longer needed to take those assignments. Certainly his defense is as good as O'Reilly's offense.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:17 PM
Avs_19
Peter the Great

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenchy View Post
Are you talking of that time in Vegas where he had a picture of a " money phone" taken or is it something new ?
No, this was a new interview they had with him. I'm not a fan of his in the first place so that could be playing into but I just kept thinking this guy is a moron as I watched the interview. Seems very NBA-like. Shaving different logos on his head (including a Floyd Mayweather Money Team logo), talking about how he likes the "flashy" lifestyle, the way he dresses, calling the people in Winnipeg who wrote negative stories/blogs about him "idiots", etc. During the lockout he had that picture with the money and his KHL team basically told him to get lost.

The Sportsnet panel then when on to talk about how he's a very good young player but some veteran needs to talk to him and make him focus.

Avs_19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:49 PM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
No, this was a new interview they had with him. I'm not a fan of his in the first place so that could be playing into but I just kept thinking this guy is a moron as I watched the interview. Seems very NBA-like. Shaving different logos on his head (including a Floyd Mayweather Money Team logo), talking about how he likes the "flashy" lifestyle, the way he dresses, calling the people in Winnipeg who wrote negative stories/blogs about him "idiots", etc. During the lockout he had that picture with the money and his KHL team basically told him to get lost.

The Sportsnet panel then when on to talk about how he's a very good young player but some veteran needs to talk to him and make him focus.
thanks ,

Yeah i'm not a fan either , looks like this guy have a huge ego , to say the least .

Old
01-18-2013, 04:05 PM
Av-merican
@Av_merican

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hennessy View Post
Stastny can play on the PK, and used to do so effectively before the team evolved around him where he was no longer needed to take those assignments. Certainly his defense is as good as O'Reilly's offense.
We could go back and forth on this, but IMO that's not the case.

Really, I'm not gonna continue to be a Stastny/Duchene detractor. That's not my point here--I'm a huge fan of both (I'm not the self-designated "Duchene Apologist" on these boards for nothing), but while I feel both are very good players, I don't think either are, or ever will be, in the "elite" category. However, I do believe Ryan O'Reilly has a chance to become an elite two-way forward.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
TheStranger

Duchene will have 5-7 years of PPG. I would say in this day and age PPG is elite.

TheStranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 07:38 AM
Freudian
Patty likes beef

vCash: 50
Huberdeau Mueller Kovalev

That's a line that might be awesome or suck. I have no idea.

Freudian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 08:19 AM
Hennessy
Blank Space

Florida as a whole might be awesome or suck. So far their tactic of picking up other people's trash and cashing in on years of early picks seems to be paying off. I, for one, hope they succeed and can build off last year's gains.

Hennessy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 09:07 AM
Frenchy
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger View Post
Duchene will have 5-7 years of PPG. I would say in this day and age PPG is elite.
Time does change , not so long ago you had to have 100 points + seasons, if you wanted to be called elite.

Old
01-19-2013, 02:37 PM
Cypher
#GenieArmy

" "Bert's got mono," Red wings coach Mike Babcock said. "

Cypher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
" "Bert's got mono," Red wings coach Mike Babcock said. "
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 03:22 PM
Foppa2118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

Mueller at center????

Sounds like a team that needs a second line pivot.

Foppa2118 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 04:40 PM
Landeslog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

I just lolled a lot

Landeslog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:09 PM
PeterTheGreat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post

Are they actually using them together?

OMG thats gonna be fun to watch, one way or another.

PeterTheGreat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:10 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterTheGreat View Post
Are they actually using them together?

OMG thats gonna be fun to watch, one way or another.
I might be going to watch them play live. Should be fun cheering on mueller...if he makes it that far.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:13 PM
Ivan13
Avs/Habs fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Landeslog View Post

I just lolled a lot
I hope this mono thing brings an end to his career, a career that should've ended the exact same time he decided to hit Moore from behind.

Ivan13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:16 PM
Duchene2MacKinnon
BELIEVE

That's an awful thing to say Ivan. And no his career shouldn't have ended with the Moore hit.

Duchene2MacKinnon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 05:23 PM
Bubba Thudd
#AvsNewAge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivan13 View Post
I hope this mono thing brings an end to his career, a career that should've ended the exact same time he decided to hit Moore from behind.
I agree.

Bubba Thudd is offline   Reply With Quote