HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Boston Bruins
Notices

Realistic Expections for Dougie Hamilton This Season.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:36 AM
Pie O My

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by EEasyA View Post
Thanks bro. I agree with everything you just said. That was very informative and i learnt alot my reading it. It should be called Key guide on how to be a good NHl Defenseman

side note. I had a leaf fan send me a friend request.lol. Cmon now.
they are a sad, strange little fanbase, and they have my pity.

Pie O My is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:39 AM
Dom - OHL
http://ohlwriters.co

Send a message via MSN to Dom - OHL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caballo Blanco View Post
8 G, 12 A, 3 fights, +15
Not totally directed at you, but in other threads there have been suggestions of him dropping the gloves.

In 3+ seasons in the OHL he's had a grand total of two fights. And this one below below wasn't even given a major for fighting.

Fighting is just not his style

Dom - OHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:41 AM
Mr. Make-Believe
Pass me another nail

I expect a slightly less effective Joe Corvo, with brief flashes of brilliance.

Dougie's learning curve is going to be rough - but entirely worthwhile.

Mr. Make-Believe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 09:43 AM
Pie O My

Quote:
8 G, 12 A, 3 fights, +15
that would be great!

Nightslyr gave a good breakdown above, but i'm glad you added the plus/minus stat. It is a flawed stat but not a meaningless stat.

I'll be happy with 2 FM's and VERY happy with 3.

also, don't mind the early season lazy hooking/holding penalties as he gets comfortable with the speed and constant up tempo of NHL hockey, but that cr*p better start petering out by about 20-25 games in. OTOH, I have no problem with 1 roughing penalty per game.

Old
01-18-2013, 09:45 AM
Caballo Blanco
2014 Conn Smythe

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post
Not totally directed at you, but in other threads there have been suggestions of him dropping the gloves.

In 3+ seasons in the OHL he's had a grand total of two fights. And this one below below wasn't even given a major for fighting.

I know that but every Bruin is expected to fight... who wouldn't want to see Dougie drop Galchenyuk or Rielly.

Caballo Blanco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:12 AM
zaYG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Make-Believe View Post

I expect a slightly less effective Joe Corvo, with brief flashes of brilliance.

Dougie's learning curve is going to be rough - but entirely worthwhile.
He will probably be worse when it comes to some basic positioning stuff, but his hockey IQ is so high that I think he will be able to jump above Corvo soon enough.

Plus, I don't see him handing over the puck twenty times a game like Joe did.

zaYG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:20 AM
KnightofBoston
MVP

I honestly expect him to absorb what he's being taught and told quicker than Seguin did, I can see him grasping what CJ wants by game 10 and being no more of a liability than say, McQuaid will be.

Don't really care too much about points, as long as he skates well, keeps positin, helps the transition up ice, ill be pleased

KnightofBoston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:21 AM
LSCII
Dark Cloud

Quote:
I know that but every Bruin is expected to fight... who wouldn't want to see Dougie drop Galchenyuk or Rielly.
No they're not. To even suggest it is silly, IMO. Every Bruin is expected to give an honest effort every night, and to have their teammates back when needed, but that doesn't mean everyone is expected to fight.

LSCII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:39 AM
Artemis
Took the red pill

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSCII View Post
No they're not. To even suggest it is silly, IMO. Every Bruin is expected to give an honest effort every night, and to have their teammates back when needed, but that doesn't mean everyone is expected to fight.
Hey, tell that to Seidenberg! Oh wait, nevermind.

And yes, I know he "fought" Kesler.

Artemis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:41 AM
Shaun

Quote:
Marc Andre Bergeron errr I mean Morgan Rielly is going back to junior.

Shaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:42 AM
WBC8

Send a message via AIM to WBC8
Quote:

Tell that to him..

WBC8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:57 AM
bruinsfan46

The kid looks to be paired with Seidenberg even strength and may get on second powerplay unit at times. Some of these ice time predictions seem very low, while only dressing six defensemen it's hard to bury someone like Seguin got buried as a forward. As for points I have no idea, wouldn't expect a lot, wouldn't expect almost none.

bruinsfan46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:59 AM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrrOverGretzky View Post

Overall, he did alright...though he did have a Semin moment midway through

HooperDrivesTheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:03 AM
weaponomega

Quote:
Originally Posted by zaYG View Post
He will probably be worse when it comes to some basic positioning stuff, but his hockey IQ is so high that I think he will be able to jump above Corvo soon enough.

Plus, I don't see him handing over the puck twenty times a game like Joe did.
I think this is the case.

Joe Corvo started out strong in 11-12 and just got worse and worse. I think the opposite will happen for Dougie.

He'll start out slow and make mistakes as he learns the system and adjusts to the NHL. But as he picks it up, he'll be better and will make better decisions on the ice.

weaponomega is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:04 AM
HooperDrivesTheBoat
2010-2011 CHAMPS!!!

Stats-wise, I'm guessing 3 goals, 12 assists. But Nightslyr said it best on page 1.

HooperDrivesTheBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:32 AM
Kelly23
Pedroia and Drew

62 hits 45 games 9 goals 19 a +19 10pp points, Calder

Kelly23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:59 AM
bp13

Just so I'm on board, the point of this thread is to set unrealistically low expectations for the player so we don't have to deal with constant critiques if/when he struggles right?

So this is why so many of you have decided that one of the best defensive prospects in recent memory, with extra time in Junior, a ton of international experience, playing for a tremendous defensive mind, on a team with the league's best defensive defenseman, in front of one of the league's best goalies, is bound to be a fringe/lousy NHL d-man in his rookie year right?

I get that newbie criticisms are annoying and we want to preempt them, but this board has taken sandbagging to a new level. This kid is the best defensive prospect we've had around here since Kluzak. He better damn well not remind anyone of Joe Corvo beyond the month or so it takes him to acclimate.

Note: Cue the "Dude you better control your expectations. He's likely to take the ice wearing his skateguards for the first 3-4 months, and you better be okay with that!!!" posts.

bp13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:14 PM
Twisted Tales
H.A.M.

I doubt he plays all 48 games.

I'll go with this:

Games: 42
Goals: 6
Assists: 16
Plus/Minus: +5
PIM: 16

Twisted Tales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:18 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post
Just so I'm on board, the point of this thread is to set unrealistically low expectations for the player so we don't have to deal with constant critiques if/when he struggles right?

So this is why so many of you have decided that one of the best defensive prospects in recent memory, with extra time in Junior, a ton of international experience, playing for a tremendous defensive mind, on a team with the league's best defensive defenseman, in front of one of the league's best goalies, is bound to be a fringe/lousy NHL d-man in his rookie year right?

I get that newbie criticisms are annoying and we want to preempt them, but this board has taken sandbagging to a new level. This kid is the best defensive prospect we've had around here since Kluzak. He better damn well not remind anyone of Joe Corvo beyond the month or so it takes him to acclimate.

Note: Cue the "Dude you better control your expectations. He's likely to take the ice wearing his skateguards for the first 3-4 months, and you better be okay with that!!!" posts.
Dude, you better control your expectations. He'll probably take to the ice wearing his skate guards for the first few months but I'll completely understand if that happens and you should too.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Pie O My

Quote:
Originally Posted by bp13 View Post

i take it you don't remember Kluzak's 1st year. Sounds like If this kid has a Kluzak like rookie campaign you'll be all over him.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:24 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

I'm surprised he made the club. Being thrown to the fire in a short season doesn't benefit him or the Bruins, imo.
If he plays less than 5 games, 0-1 1pt.
If he plays in all 48 games, 5-12 17pts, with a +/- in the 0-5 range and 12mins in pim.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:27 PM
TCL40

I don't particularly care about the points.

I figure his season is going to be up and down with some bright and rough moments. I also won't be shocked if, like Seguin, he spends some time in the pressbox as a healthy scratch learning the NHL game and the Bruins system.

I figure a good season would be him learning the balance in positioning (knowing when to stay home and when to pinch) and making good decisions.

I just hope the fans don't tear him to pieces after a few games for being a bust or screaming that Julien is ruining him, because he isn't skating 20 or is a healthy scratch for few games.

TCL40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:29 PM
FallsForItEveryYear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
I'm surprised he made the club. Being thrown to the fire in a short season doesn't benefit him or the Bruins, imo.
If he plays in all 48 games, 5-12 17pts, with a +/- in the 0-5 range and 12mins in pim.
i completely disagree. i think this is the perfect situation. he got like half a season at juniors. then gets to come in and his first 2 weeks will be played against some rusty pro players. he should be in far better game shape right off the bat than most nhl players. should help make the transition easier.

FallsForItEveryYear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:33 PM
SerenityRick

Send a message via AIM to SerenityRick
Quote:
Originally Posted by ranold26 View Post
For the Bruins, it's about controlling his development. In Niagra, he was forming some bad habits. No slight to the coaches there or anything, but that team was more or less the complete opposite of the Bruins. Offense first team versus Defense first team.

Of course the argument could be made that it wouldn't have been a huge deal to just wait out the rest of this season and have him make the team full time next season, but it's clear the Bruins are ready to develop him right now while the vets are still here and playing well so he can get the most amount of knowledge rubbed off on him.

At least that's how I see it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForItEveryYear View Post
i completely disagree. i think this is the perfect situation. he got like half a season at juniors. then gets to come in and his first 2 weeks will be played against some rusty pro players. he should be in far better game shape right off the bat than most nhl players. should help make the transition easier.
Didn't even think of that. That's a great point.

SerenityRick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:37 PM
ranold26
Get off my rink!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FallsForItEveryYear View Post
I understand your logic, but once the NHL vets get their arses in full speed mode, Dougie's limited[no fault of his own] skills and experience will be very apparent. After six games, we're burning a full ELC SPC year.

ranold26 is offline   Reply With Quote