HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

Easton Mako 2

Old
01-18-2013, 12:31 PM
SCBruCrew4

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
This is a bit off-topic, but I have always thought the industry could use a standard naming convention for sticks. I use an Easton stick, not because I especially like Easton, but because I don't have the patience to pore over stick charts to find the most similar curve in another brand. These companies should make it easier for us to switch to them - not harder!

It would be as simple as assigning a name or letter to the key curve features (lie, curve, face, toe, length).

The PM9 might be called the "5BX1M".

Lie 5, curve B (that's arbitrary, but could be the code for mid-heel), X for open, 1 for round (0 for flat), M for medium length. At a glance I know exactly what I am getting.

Same goes for the PM92 - we might call it the "6DX1M" (6 lie, mid-toe "D", open face "X", round toe "1", med length "M") and see very quickly the similarities and differences.

If I generally like the PM92 but want a longer blade and a mid-heel curve instead of a mid-toe, I don't need to be searching the internet, I can look at a P91A (let's call it the "6BY1L") and know right away that it is close what I am looking for.

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox.
I understand where your going and for the online buyer I could see this working. Even still I suggest if your buying a stick, buy it in person because 90% of the time, that blade chart you see online doesn't do the actual "in person" curve any justice. I mean take the P92 curve, the blade chart picture barely has the face opening...which in person the face opens up quite a bit. Heck, since we're talking about the Mako 2, the new E28 curve doesn't even look the same when you compare the picture to the way it looks in person. So even when looking at codes I'd only suggest buying sticks in person to actually see what your getting.

SCBruCrew4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:33 PM
Thesensation19

I have to really give Easton credit to their new Mako line. From sticks, to skates to equipment and how they present it.

I am not one for fads and gimmicks like lighter equipment. It did not matter much to me about the SUPER LIGHT Stealth equipment that came out.

But this Mako line is different, each one serving a greater purpose.

Gloves- The fingers have gaps on the bottom and in the right places to ensure better flex in your grip but also more protection.

Shoulder Pads- The shape of the chest protecter is round rather than squared. The round shape allows your ribs to be better protected and a better fit. Also the protection is more focused on the middle part of the chest.

Skates- Most impressive piece of all. I am not with over $500 skates, in fact having difficulty in buying a $400 pair even though i need new ones.
The skate is the MLX skates now but with new additions such as replaceable tongue and heel protector so when they wear down or break you can buy new ones rather than ship them off to get them fixed or buy new skates . The blades are allowed to shift left to right allowing more options depending on preference of the skater which serves a huge purpose most of us have never thought of. There are very light and many reports are giving it a perfect score for comfort.

The stick- As we all know, and though there is more to it, I really like the white design. They were the first (at least major brand) to make the whole stick white because their the first to actually do tests on how a goalie percieves a shooter during a real game. White shaft makes sense, the new mako II kind of contradicts everything they had originally but the black blade is nice as well

I really like the Mako line and I am looking to buy maybe the shoulder pads and really thinking hard about the skates though their supposedly $800.

Thesensation19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:52 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCBruCrew4 View Post
I understand where your going and for the online buyer I could see this working. Even still I suggest if your buying a stick, buy it in person because 90% of the time, that blade chart you see online doesn't do the actual "in person" curve any justice. I mean take the P92 curve, the blade chart picture barely has the face opening...which in person the face opens up quite a bit. Heck, since we're talking about the Mako 2, the new E28 curve doesn't even look the same when you compare the picture to the way it looks in person. So even when looking at codes I'd only suggest buying sticks in person to actually see what your getting.
Oh I agree 100% - it just would make it way easier to narrow it down a bit. It'd just be a lot cleaner - rather than trying to remember what the stick that used to be called the Zetterberg is called now!

That said, at least going to numbers (rather than names which change frequently) is a huge step forward.

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 12:25 AM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by neksys View Post
This is a bit off-topic, but I have always thought the industry could use a standard naming convention for sticks. I use an Easton stick, not because I especially like Easton, but because I don't have the patience to pore over stick charts to find the most similar curve in another brand. These companies should make it easier for us to switch to them - not harder!

It would be as simple as assigning a name or letter to the key curve features (lie, curve, face, toe, length).

The PM9 might be called the "5BX1M".

Lie 5, curve B (that's arbitrary, but could be the code for mid-heel), X for open, 1 for round (0 for flat), M for medium length. At a glance I know exactly what I am getting.

Same goes for the PM92 - we might call it the "6DX1M" (6 lie, mid-toe "D", open face "X", round toe "1", med length "M") and see very quickly the similarities and differences.

If I generally like the PM92 but want a longer blade and a mid-heel curve instead of a mid-toe, I don't need to be searching the internet, I can look at a P91A (let's call it the "6BY1L") and know right away that it is close what I am looking for.

Anyways, I'll get off my soapbox.
They need to differentiate themselves in order to have a competitive edge.product differentiation. The number of times a customer comes in looking for a particular curve that is surprised when I tell them every manufacturer makes a clone is astounding. In their minds, they really like a Bauer 'P88 Kane' and have no idea that other companies make it, so for their next stick, Bauer has essentially retained them on that basis - no one else calls their pattern the 'P88 Kane'.

LOL and if a lot of people can't tell the difference between what curve codes they use (I mentioned this over on MSH; Bauer seems to have the only customers refer to their curves more by code rather than by player name) then they'll throw up their arms and quit hockey rather than try and decipher'5BX1M' or '6JY2N' Oh, and the marketing for endorsees, can't forget that.

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 02:47 PM
flyers10

so
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post
I have to really give Easton credit to their new Mako line. From sticks, to skates to equipment and how they present it.

I am not one for fads and gimmicks like lighter equipment. It did not matter much to me about the SUPER LIGHT Stealth equipment that came out.

Gloves- The fingers have gaps on the bottom and in the right places to ensure better flex in your grip but also more protection.

Shoulder Pads- The shape of the chest protecter is round rather than squared. The round shape allows your ribs to be better protected and a better fit. Also the protection is more focused on the middle part of the chest.

Skates- Most impressive piece of all. I am not with over $500 skates, in fact having difficulty in buying a $400 pair even though i need new ones.
The skate is the MLX skates now but with new additions such as replaceable tongue and heel protector so when they wear down or break you can buy new ones rather than ship them off to get them fixed or buy new skates . The blades are allowed to shift left to right allowing more options depending on preference of the skater which serves a huge purpose most of us have never thought of. There are very light and many reports are giving it a perfect score for comfort.

The stick- As we all know, and though there is more to it, I really like the white design. They were the first (at least major brand) to make the whole stick white because their the first to actually do tests on how a goalie percieves a shooter during a real game. White shaft makes sense, the new mako II kind of contradicts everything they had originally but the black blade is nice as well

I really like the Mako line and I am looking to buy maybe the shoulder pads and really thinking hard about the skates though their supposedly $800.
The Mako skate blade/holder is not adjustable like the MLX was. Also the removable tongue & tendon guard were MLX features.

flyers10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 01:38 AM
Greasy Sliders

What exactly is the point of the white shaft?

Greasy Sliders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:28 PM
neksys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oilers10 View Post
Looks great. What is the point of a black shaft? Or red shaft? Why is my car black?

neksys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-20-2013, 02:36 PM
ReverendAlBundy
Loungetown mortician

Quote:
It's supposed to hide the flexing of the shaft so the goalie can't anticipate when the shot is coming.

ReverendAlBundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 12:41 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyers10 View Post
so

The Mako skate blade/holder is not adjustable like the MLX was. Also the removable tongue & tendon guard were MLX features.
I noticed that after on a pro skate but listening and saw it myself on a reveiw of it last week. Whats the truth? Lmk, thank you

Old
01-22-2013, 12:48 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
1) Look. The design is different and pretty cool.

2) Performance. You know how some people say black tape or black blade helps hide the puck? Well in some situations, maybe. But what they find out by asking different goalies and some small experiments was that the white shaft helps the stick blend in with the ice/boards on most shots. In a goalies POV, the opponent is moving fast and the passes are moving faster. The shots moving fastest. When everything is moving side to side and up and down in your zone, your eyes can only adjust so fast and with the white blending in the stick it forces the goalies eyes to adapt slower. Now obviously this is not going to put in more goals for you directly but i cant say it doesnt help.

I personally saw no reason not to try it out. Its a pretty dam good stick, I bought the 70$ one and I like it. It did not hurt my performance. It only made it better, or at least my productivity went up a bit

Old
01-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

I will have to wait and see but I've done better the last two games with my white stick/tape than before with my black stick. I'm not sure if it's the shaft but I've got 26 shots the last two games compared with 40 shots in the previous nine.

Last year I scored a ton of goals using a white stick (Vapor X:60). Hmm...never thought of that before. Maybe there's something to it.

Anyways, I would be more willing to believe that a white shaft/blade tricks the goalie or defense a little more than a black blade hides the puck. Obviously a goalie will always watch the puck but maybe if I'm hiding my release just a bit that could help.

Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:31 PM
youthoftoday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesensation19 View Post

A guy on my team just picked up the Mako shoulder pads and even after just a few games he thinks they are the best ones he's ever had.

I've been using the Mako for about a month now, but I can't really comment on how well it works because its my first stick that wasn't a low end Bauer from Dicks! I'm not a good enough player for the goalie to worry about whether or not he can see the stick.

youthoftoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 03:34 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Wait, Easton bought MLX skates? That's awesome. I loved some of their concepts and with a real company behind them that would make me much more likely to purchase.

What is the fit like?

Old
01-22-2013, 04:42 PM
jsykes

It will be out in March. I've seen the skate, but couldnt really comment on fit since I have a really wide foot and can never judge based on a standard width that always come as samples.

Its a nice skate and I'm very interested in it when it come out. They've taken the MLX and refined it for the broader retail market.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=K8NfzxJa9_0

jsykes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-22-2013, 04:48 PM
Jarick
Doing Nothing

Any idea on the street price?

Old
01-22-2013, 05:05 PM
thedonger

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarick View Post
any idea on the street price?
799us

thedonger is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-24-2013, 12:38 PM
Thesensation19

Quote:
Originally Posted by youthoftoday View Post
A guy on my team just picked up the Mako shoulder pads and even after just a few games he thinks they are the best ones he's ever had.

I've been using the Mako for about a month now, but I can't really comment on how well it works because its my first stick that wasn't a low end Bauer from Dicks! I'm not a good enough player for the goalie to worry about whether or not he can see the stick.
See the beauty of Easton is they finally were the smart company and put out a line of hockey sticks each of a differ price (prices varies with quality of course) and i bought the cheapest one. like 70 bucks and it was good