HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Notices

Brian Strait (Claimed by NY Islanders)

Old
01-18-2013, 11:18 AM
Riggs
Kaptain

vCash: 500
With the D prospects the Pens still have... I won't lose sleep over this.

Good luck to him.

Riggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:18 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

I had a feeling this morning the Islanders would claim him. That's three defensemen they've claimed now.

BrunoPuntzJones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:20 AM
The Tang
I like gooooollllddd

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhantomOTO View Post
I had a feeling this morning the Islanders would claim him. That's three defensemen they've claimed now.
I think the Isles have claimed 90% of the players put on waivers...

The Tang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:20 AM
deakka

its not like ill lose sleep either. But shero sure would have know this woukd happen and i think he should have sorted out this situation earlier. Im sure during last season/during the draft we could have gotten something for Strait, draft-pick or a prospect.

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:21 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tang View Post
I think the Isles have claimed 90% of the players put on waivers...
Garth Snow is king of the waiver wire.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:22 AM
Dangles78

Quote:
Originally Posted by deakka View Post
its not like ill lose sleep either. But shero sure would have know this woukd happen and i think he should have sorted out this situation earlier. Im sure during last season/during the draft we could have gotten something for Strait, draft-pick or a prospect.
You're looking too far into this.

Dangles78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

Quote:
I just don't think he was a proven enough commodity to fetch a draft pick especially being so far removed from his draft year.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
bigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by IHWR View Post
Dude was drafted in 2006. If you can't crack an NHL roster 7 years after being drafted be thankful there's another team out there that has a spot for you.

Good for him...surprised he was claimed to be honest.
He just turned 25 and spent 3 years playing College hockey. Not unusual for a College player.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:25 AM
mgd525

I'm not happy he was claimed but I wish him the best. I'm glad he's getting a shot in the NHL, he will stick imo.

mgd525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:27 AM
Jag68Sid87

This really angers me. Strait will play 10 years as a defensive D-man on a team that badly needed one.

The Isles would have probably claimed Lovejoy, thus further weakening a division rival.

Dumb, dumb dumb.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:30 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Haven't we technically invested more time developing Ben Lovejoy considering he's been playing in the organization since 2007 (as opposed to Strait who was at BU until 2009).

For people who can't believe we spent all this time developing Strait just to give him away.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:35 AM
BrunoPuntzJones
Biscuit Scorer

If he winds up playing with Mark Streit, we will all descend into the chamber of infinity.

Old
01-18-2013, 11:36 AM
deakka

Quote:
Haven't we technically invested more time developing Ben Lovejoy considering he's been playing in the organization since 2007 (as opposed to Strait who was at BU until 2009).

For people who can't believe we spent all this time developing Strait just to give him away.
We havent given Lovejoy away for free either.

deakka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:38 AM
Pelican Peach Pen
BTR-ATL Pen

Man, some of y'all can cherry-pick arguments. We lost Strait .... console me while I lament the fact that we lost him and as a result we will NOT be Stanley Cup Champs!

He went to the freakin' Islanders ...

Two things .... we have people in place to replace his skills and we got rid of a contract which should make all of you "We need Sid'z winger" boys extremely happy.

Pelican Peach Pen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:44 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

At least this frees up a spot for possibly Sustr to sign with us after this season. Still a long shot, but you never know. It's one less defenseman he'd have to beat out. We'll also have some defensemen who have a chance to graduate to pro hockey next season in Harrington, Ruopp, and Seymour.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:44 AM
limite*

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Tang View Post
Yeah it stinks we used a pick and developed him only to lose him for nothing, but at the same time, was Strait really in the future plans and much of a loss? It's not like he's irreplaceable and the only time the guy has whiffed NHL ice is when there are a multitude of injuries.
You miss the point. It's not whether he fit into future plans. It's that the Pens gave away an asset for nothing. But of course, Shero is the man who gave away Muzzin and Moulson for nothing. Even if they couldn't trade him now, injuries happen and he might be in demand later. It is also hard to figure when they kept Despres, who didn't have to go on waiver and who has looked poor both in the AHL and in the scrimmage.

It is also funny to back a year or two and see all the posts about how he was going fill an important role as a steady presence on the blueline. Makes you think that you shouldn't be too overly optimistic about prospects.

limite* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:46 AM
IHWR
The Chiropractor

Quote:
We havent given Lovejoy away for free either.
Right but someone had to go and the fact that this many people are freaking out about such a minor roster move is classic.

You know who waives decent prospects? Contenders. Just below this thread on the board is one about TSN predicting that we'll win the Stanley Cup this year and it's getting way less views and replies.

All I care about is winning a Stanley Cup THIS year. Brian Strait wasn't going to help us do that and the organization believes they have better options to fill a spot on the team that doesn't see the ice anyways.

Besides, I'll bet all my vCash that Strait ends up back in WBS this year once the Islanders get healthy and make some moves. We'll grab him on waivers and everyone can untie their nooses.

IHWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:46 AM
Captain Hook
Olli Määttä

That one poster was right. This really does remind me of those Caps fans that were in a state of hysteria over losing Chris Bourque to us.

I hope Strait has better luck with his NHL career than Bourque did, but like I said, it wasn't going to happen here for Strait even if we kept him around.

Captain Hook is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:50 AM
MrBurgundy*
Time to move forward

Quote:
Right but someone had to go and the fact that this many people are freaking out about such a minor roster move is classic.

You know who waives decent prospects? Contenders. Just below this thread on the board is one about TSN predicting that we'll win the Stanley Cup this year and it's getting way less views and replies.

All I care about is winning a Stanley Cup THIS year. Brian Strait wasn't going to help us do that and the organization believes they have better options to fill a spot on the team that doesn't see the ice anyways.

Besides, I'll bet all my vCash that Strait ends up back in WBS this year once the Islanders get healthy and make some moves. We'll grab him on waivers and everyone can untie their nooses.
The only thing that I don't like is that Lovejoy has proven in the past to be a liability on the ice in high pressure situations (ie: the playoffs). Lovejoy I also feel is not a better defenseman than Strait is right now. The only thing he has going for him is the experience factor.

I won't lose sleep over this because of the reasons I listed in my last post, but if the Pens really wanted to go with the best defenseman for the #7 or #8 (if they are really going to carry that many all season long) spot, then it should have been Strait.

MrBurgundy* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:51 AM
johnniewalker

I don't know why everyone is assuming that Shero didn't try to get something for Strait. The likely scenario is that he shopped him around but other GMs were not willing to give up anything for him, knowing that Shero would have to cut his roster down and they could potentially get him for nothing.

At least this way we get him back in the event that the Isles have to waive him because he doesn't work out or they have someone like Visnovsky come back and rejoin the team, and requiring a roster spot.

EDIT: Not to mention that the Penguins probably felt like Lovejoy has pretty much developed as much as he is going to and they felt less bad about making him sit in the press box night after night, so he was the one they hung on to. Strait got a chance to make it with another team, which is great for him, and something that I assume Shero would want for a prospect that doesn't fit into our plans.

The bottom line is that Strait was not going to be in our top 6 anytime in the near future. We generally only carry 3 defensive guys at any given time. Orpik, Engelland and Bortuzzo were all ahead of Strait and by most accounts Dumoulin is just about ready. Then there's Harrington coming down the pipe as well who is highly regarded, and Ruopp that has grit. There just wasn't room and he was the odd man out.

Last edited by johnniewalker: 01-18-2013 at 11:56 AM.
johnniewalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:01 PM
stefanh

If another team really would have wanted Strait bad they would have traded for him. Its hard to get a player for nothing if other teams (like the isles) can take him before you.

stefanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:01 PM
Jag68Sid87

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnniewalker View Post
I don't know why everyone is assuming that Shero didn't try to get something for Strait. The likely scenario is that he shopped him around but other GMs were not willing to give up anything for him, knowing that Shero would have to cut his roster down and they could potentially get him for nothing.
Hence we shouldn't ALWAYS draft a defenseman in Round 1, because ultimately you lose an asset for nothing because GMs around the league have caught onto your strategy. Dumb.

Secondly, if the team felt Lovejoy wasn't going to develop anymore, but Strait wasn't finished developing, how does it make sense to keep Lovejoy but lose Strait to another organization?

We don't have six Norris-caliber blueliners right now. We have quantity, NOT quality. We have sucked badly defensively in the playoffs. And yet, the guys who have sucked the most remain.

Jag68Sid87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Jill Sandwich
Master of Unlocking

Send a message via MSN to Jill Sandwich
Would rather have had Strait than Lovejoy. And I'm not a prospect worshipper, or a project worshipper. I like guys who can play right now. And Strait is better than Lovejoy.

Jill Sandwich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:04 PM
Dying Alive
Not a man, man.

I wonder if they'll pair him with Streit?

Dying Alive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:06 PM
limite*

Quote:
by most accounts Dumoulin is just about ready.
Where in the world did you get that idea?

Quote:
Then there's Harrington coming down the pipe as well who is highly regarded,
Harrington was barely big enough to physically handle junior players." He has a long way to go before he's in the NHL. "

Quote:
and Ruopp that has grit. out.
[/QUOTE]

He's barely on the radar as an NHL prospect.

Quote:
There just wasn't room and he was the odd man
That says more about Shero's lunatic obsession with stockpiling defense prospects to the exclusion of everything else. The Pen's pool would look a lot better if you substituted Grigorenko for Pouliot, not to mention Saad for Morrow. Then Strait would look at more valuable. But by piling up at one position, then Pens are forced to make this sort of decision. Aside from Bennet, the Pens don't have single forward prospect who is a good as Straight is a defensive prospect.

limite* is offline   Reply With Quote