HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Notices

Isles Claim Brian Strait

Old
01-18-2013, 11:47 AM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Hook View Post
I think you'll be surprised how good he is. Don't pay attention to the low prospect ranking or his stats. He's a mobile defensive D-man that doesn't put up big numbers but you'll have a hard time finding a Pens fan that will knock him. He's a good player and many would have gotten rid of Ben Lovejoy or sent down Simon Despres to keep him around. I think Pens management wanted to keep Strait too but the coaches really wanted Despres to be on the team so they exposed Strait to waivers.
There was some discussion about him and the other Pens blue line prospects last year around here or on the Trade forum. Thanks for the heads up though.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:52 AM
redbull
Expect more

it's fun to mock waivers, BUT, I'm really happy Snow added so many players. Not for the Islanders, because outside Hickey, I doubt any of them will even play 5 games for the Islanders this year.

But Bridgeport's defense was horrid and this team had zero depth even in the AHL.

Finley, Strait, Aucoin will greatly improve Bridgeport's team and will allow players like Kabanov, Nelson, Nino, Sundstrom, Donovan (not deHaan, this year) to enjoy winning, personal and team success.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:52 AM
BillD

Not that I want him here...I DO NOT, but does this mean Vis is not expected to report at some time?
We now have what could be an oversupply of D.

BillD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:55 AM
kasper11

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillD View Post
Not that I want him here...I DO NOT, but does this mean Vis is not expected to report at some time?
We now have what could be an oversupply of D.
Vis is a lot better than everyone we picked up combined. If he comes, I guess Finley gets waived. Or Strait.

kasper11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
OpAck

Here's a good way to get rid of Butch. We get Brad Stuart and Mark Stuart...and there's even a center for Calgary with the name Ben Street, get him too. Streit, Strait, Stuart, Stuart, Street...it'll drive Butch insane.

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
bigd

Don't judge him by his #'s in WBS this season. I heard from a close friend that he started the season with Mono and then just before training camp caught the flu. I think he's ready to go now. If he gets back into form of his past two years at Wilkes Barrie he will be an everyday player for the Islanders.

bigd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:57 AM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
I just looked at the Isles roster from their web site.

I have no idea who many of the players are, and most of the ones which I do know, suck.

We are effed.
Our roster is easily the most pathetic NHL lineup I've ever seen. The fact that a GM has 6 years, 5 lottery finishes and this is what we are watching is absolutely, downright, SICK.

If I'm Tavares, I am going postal that this is the best this GM and owner can come up with. Where is the ****ing pride?

How many god damn waiver wire picks up can one team have? This is just so freaking comical at this point.

And so many of you are like "Next year is when the real test starts", so the next 48 games are just a write off?

The new rules in the CBA permit everyone to have an equal chance at the first overall, so sucking for first doesn't make any sense anymore.

If we win more than 2 games in the first two weeks, I'll react as if I won the lottery.

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:58 AM
hunter7isles

Maybe we can put a team out there entirely of waiver claims. We do know our owner likes going against the grain.

hunter7isles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:00 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter7isles View Post
Maybe we can put a team out there entirely of waiver claims. We do know our owner likes going against the grain.
Yeah, and don't worry, according to Gary betman, Wang chung loves the Islanders and as committed to Long Island.

What we did to deserve this guy as our owner I'll never know. We are repaying a past debt of some kind. We need an exorcist to remove the demons LOL

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
Chardo

Islanders open tomorrow night. Will they be able to roll 4 lines and 3 pairings who have actually practiced together (or even met, for that matter)?

Chardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Here's a good way to get rid of Butch. We get Brad Stuart and Mark Stuart...and there's even a center for Calgary with the name Ben Street, get him too. Streit, Strait, Stuart, Stuart, Street...it'll drive Butch insane.
Say that 10 times as fast as you can.

As for Butchie, I think Streit-Strait is already enough to drive him insane. The rest is just gravy. Howie must be grinning already at the thought of all this.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:15 PM
Bones45

I'm glad that most everyone got good deals on the tix.. judging by the roster and the lack of practice, we are looking at another solid effort! LOL

Now excuse me, Im on my way to the 420 liquor store to buy some Ketel One for the opener..

LETS GO ISLES!!!!!!!

Bones45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:19 PM
LAPPY13

Quote:
Originally Posted by redbull View Post
it's fun to mock waivers, BUT, I'm really happy Snow added so many players. Not for the Islanders, because outside Hickey, I doubt any of them will even play 5 games for the Islanders this year.

But Bridgeport's defense was horrid and this team had zero depth even in the AHL.

Finley, Strait, Aucoin will greatly improve Bridgeport's team and will allow players like Kabanov, Nelson, Nino, Sundstrom, Donovan (not deHaan, this year) to enjoy winning, personal and team success.
I think we are going to see the Islanders keep Keith Aucoin (for just this season) around as there number 4 center and 13th forward switching with Reasoner or sometimes Boulton. When Bailey and Joensuu come back from injuries look for Colin McDonald and David Ullstrom. to be sent down. Isles will also keep Citikas as there number 3 center unless he really struggles. I think Hickey will be given every chance to win the 3rd pairing spot with Carkner and Finley will stay with team as 6-7 d for muscle. Brian Strait is here to push Hickey until he wins d spot. I think when if Visnosky arrives Strait will be sent down or more than likely we will already have a few injuries on defense therefore nobody is sent down. Bottom line all 4 waiver claims will be around this season in some form or another.

LAPPY13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:22 PM
Isles Junkie

Someone made the joke Waivelanders yesterday. Sure seems like it.

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:25 PM
scott99

I am a Hockey fanatic, and consider myself somewhat of a Hockey expert (compared to most fans), but I can honestly say, I've never heard of Brian Strait, ever. And I even went to a WB game against Bridgeport up in WB last year, and can't remember anything about him or hearing his name.

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:25 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Our roster is easily the most pathetic NHL lineup I've ever seen. The fact that a GM has 6 years, 5 lottery finishes and this is what we are watching is absolutely, downright, SICK.

If I'm Tavares, I am going postal that this is the best this GM and owner can come up with. Where is the ****ing pride?

How many god damn waiver wire picks up can one team have? This is just so freaking comical at this point.

And so many of you are like "Next year is when the real test starts", so the next 48 games are just a write off?

The new rules in the CBA permit everyone to have an equal chance at the first overall, so sucking for first doesn't make any sense anymore.

If we win more than 2 games in the first two weeks, I'll react as if I won the lottery.
Weren't you the one who came back and posted the positive vibes thread last week?

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:28 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by CDirt View Post
This guy is just Bridgeport fodder.
Strait's NHL-ready. He's ready to handle bottom pairing minutes now, so I'd be surprised if he's not on the Isles opening day roster.

I think folks are going to be pleasantly surprised with him. He's not going to wow you at all. He's just safe and solid in his own zone. I know it's just AHL, but he and Bortuzzo have been the Baby Pens shutdown duo for the past couple of seasons. He's good at that aspect of hockey.

I wasn't happy the Pens put him on waivers, especially instead of Ben Lovejoy. Strait's an NHLer, there's no doubt about it.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:29 PM
IceAce
HEY BUD, LETS PARTY!

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Weren't you the one who came back and posted the positive vibes thread last week?
Right after he quit being an Islander fan last season and started rooting for the Caps.

more like IsleBeBiPolar

IceAce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:31 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones45 View Post
I just looked at the Isles roster from their web site.

I have no idea who many of the players are, and most of the ones which I do know, suck.

We are effed.

This guy here is dead.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:33 PM
bluechipbonzo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post

You, sir, do not know your hockey.

Nice job adding insurance and depth for free, keeping young prospects to develop in the AHL...

...kudos to Garth!

bluechipbonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:34 PM
scott99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Strait's NHL-ready. He's ready to handle bottom pairing minutes now, so I'd be surprised if he's not on the Isles opening day roster.

I think folks are going to be pleasantly surprised with him. He's not going to wow you at all. He's just safe and solid in his own zone. I know it's just AHL, but he and Bortuzzo have been the Baby Pens shutdown duo for the past couple of seasons. He's good at that aspect of hockey.

I wasn't happy the Pens put him on waivers, especially instead of Ben Lovejoy. Strait's an NHLer, there's no doubt about it.
Mark Eaton II ?

scott99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:35 PM
KrisBeKreame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post

This guy here is dead.
Hey they made the playoffs, so watch out.

People need to stop over reacting. I am HAPPY with all the waiver claims. We improved our defence while massively increased our depth. Depth is going to be a Major Factor this year in the shortend season. Expect to see the Islanders and several other teams keep a 23 man roster unlike other seasons.

KrisBeKreame is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:38 PM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KrisBeKreame View Post
Hey they made the playoffs, so watch out.

People need to stop over reacting. I am HAPPY with all the waiver claims. We improved our defence while massively increased our depth. Depth is going to be a Major Factor this year in the shortend season. Expect to see the Islanders and several other teams keep a 23 man roster unlike other seasons.
i have no problem with the waiver pickups. But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't tired of the patchwork defense each year.

Still, to get back on topic, this Strait seems to be a solid pickup who might stick around as a bottom pair Dman.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:39 PM
startainfection

would rather have had connolly

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
Mark Eaton II ?
Perhaps Eaton before injuries and age caught up to him. Pens fans were hoping he'd become Scuderi II. So he's that type (perhaps not EXACTLY, but that type) of defenseman.

Let there be no mistake, Brian Strait will likely never be a star. He probably won't ever be a top four blueliner. But I believe he's got the ability to play solid minutes on a team's bottom pairing (or be the defensive conscience on a team's second pairing) for a long time.

If you're looking for offense, or if you're looking for the big hit, or the nasty crease clearer, you're out of luck. But if you simply want someone who is positionally strong, and can give you safe and steady performance in the defensive zone, Strait's your man.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote