HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Time to give Bill Clement a bit of credit

Closed Thread

Old
12-12-2003, 05:30 PM
Unthinkable

vCash:
Time to give Bill Clement a bit of credit

For all the knocks he takes about being pretty biased towards the Flyers, he defends Brodeur pretty nicely below. The second question moreso then the first one. Got to give him some props for playing "Devils Advocate" with regards to the Marty wouldn't be so hot on a Western Conference team with lesser D argument:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=4480

Dave, New Providence, NJ: Hi Bill; I admit I'm a little biased here, but isn't it time people started talking about Marty Brodeur not just as *one* of the greatest goalies of all time, but maybe as *the* greatest? At a similar point in his career, Patrick Roy didn't have nearly this many wins, had one less Cup and two fewer trips to the Finals. Brodeur has already eclipsed Roy in shutouts, and has an Olympic Gold to boot. Barring injury and prolonged work stoppage, Brodeur should shatter virtually every career goaltending record.

Bill Clement: And when he does he will be considered the greatest. And I have no reason to believe that won't happen. Right now, Marty at least has the title of the best in the game. Believe me, his greatness is well-documented and all-time he has to be in the category of four greatest along with Hasek, Sawchuk and Roy. It's only a matter of time before Marty is king of the castle.

Rich (Randolph, NJ): Hi Bill. Martin Brodeur is certainly a great goaltender and seems to be a star every week. Does anybody ever consider the fact that he plays behind such a defensive team? If he played in the western conference, his numbers wouldn't look as good. When people compare him to Patrick Roy, it seems like apples to oranges to me. Your take?

Bill Clement: Sometimes it's harder to play behind a great defensive team because you never establish a rhythm, something you have no work for 10 minutes then bang, bang, bang. So there's a demand no matter who you are playing behind. The last time Colorado won the Cup with Roy, I think they were the No. 1 ranked defensive team in the NHL. Also think back to big saves Brodeur has made at crucial times in a game or series. There are too many to remember. He also has played behind a team that hasn't had a 50-goal scorer or 100-point guy, which means he's had to win a number of low-scoring, one-goal games. That's pressure in itself.

Old
12-12-2003, 09:49 PM
meehan

vCash: 500
Send a message via ICQ to meehan Send a message via AIM to meehan Send a message via MSN to meehan Send a message via Yahoo to meehan Send a message via Skype™ to meehan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unthinkable
For all the knocks he takes about being pretty biased towards the Flyers, he defends Brodeur pretty nicely below. The second question moreso then the first one. Got to give him some props for playing "Devils Advocate" with regards to the Marty wouldn't be so hot on a Western Conference team with lesser D argument:

http://proxy.espn.go.com/chat/chatESPN?event_id=4480

Dave, New Providence, NJ: Hi Bill; I admit I'm a little biased here, but isn't it time people started talking about Marty Brodeur not just as *one* of the greatest goalies of all time, but maybe as *the* greatest? At a similar point in his career, Patrick Roy didn't have nearly this many wins, had one less Cup and two fewer trips to the Finals. Brodeur has already eclipsed Roy in shutouts, and has an Olympic Gold to boot. Barring injury and prolonged work stoppage, Brodeur should shatter virtually every career goaltending record.

Bill Clement: And when he does he will be considered the greatest. And I have no reason to believe that won't happen. Right now, Marty at least has the title of the best in the game. Believe me, his greatness is well-documented and all-time he has to be in the category of four greatest along with Hasek, Sawchuk and Roy. It's only a matter of time before Marty is king of the castle.

Rich (Randolph, NJ): Hi Bill. Martin Brodeur is certainly a great goaltender and seems to be a star every week. Does anybody ever consider the fact that he plays behind such a defensive team? If he played in the western conference, his numbers wouldn't look as good. When people compare him to Patrick Roy, it seems like apples to oranges to me. Your take?

Bill Clement: Sometimes it's harder to play behind a great defensive team because you never establish a rhythm, something you have no work for 10 minutes then bang, bang, bang. So there's a demand no matter who you are playing behind. The last time Colorado won the Cup with Roy, I think they were the No. 1 ranked defensive team in the NHL. Also think back to big saves Brodeur has made at crucial times in a game or series. There are too many to remember. He also has played behind a team that hasn't had a 50-goal scorer or 100-point guy, which means he's had to win a number of low-scoring, one-goal games. That's pressure in itself.
I never thought hands of cement was capable of such intelligent thought.

Closed Thread