HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

P.K. Subban Thread - Mk III - Unsigned Edition

View Poll Results: Who should break first
Bergevin 61 25.00%
Subban 183 75.00%
Voters: 244. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
Old
01-18-2013, 12:45 PM
  #326
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Ok, so let's assume you're right for argument's sake, why do you think Bergevin is doing things this way?
Because he's a rookie GM and PK is a RFA. You realize that PK being a RFA is Bergevin's sole leverage? Otherwise PK would have been signed a long time ago to maybe even more cash than he's asking.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 12:47 PM
  #327
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Because he's a rookie GM and PK is a RFA. You realize that PK being a RFA is Bergevin's sole leverage? Otherwise PK would have been signed a long time ago to maybe even more cash than he's asking.
If he wasn't an RFA he'd have a Doughty type deal. He might wind up with one anyway...

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
  #328
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Because he's a rookie GM and PK is a RFA. You realize that PK being a RFA is Bergevin's sole leverage? Otherwise PK would have been signed a long time ago to maybe even more cash than he's asking.
Well we weren't privy to MB's interview when he was hired as a GM so until a few years go by I'm not willing to pass judgment. PK is an RFA and he is being treated the same way everybody else has been treated in Montreal.

Capitano is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 01:03 PM
  #329
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capitano View Post
Well we weren't privy to MB's interview when he was hired as a GM so until a few years go by I'm not willing to pass judgment. PK is an RFA and he is being treated the same way everybody else has been treated in Montreal.
Which is stupid because not everybody has the same skills, roles or development.
You need to be flexible as a GM in terms of how to deal away contracts. Giving away 4y to Prust but telling PK he's not worth more than 2years, isn't the right way to go about it.
It's the other way around. You take better care of your stars as they're way more valuable and harder to replace. Guys like Prust are a dime a dozen.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 01:07 PM
  #330
Kriss E
HFB Partner
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 25,021
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lafleurs Guy View Post
If he wasn't an RFA he'd have a Doughty type deal. He might wind up with one anyway...
Not convinced about it. I don't think they are pushing for a 50M dollar deal. I see them asking more towards a 25-35M deal.

Kriss E is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 01:09 PM
  #331
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,250
vCash: 500
what the hell is bergevin waiting for?jesus.are we ever gonna see management that knows what they re doing ever again in montreal?this constant parade of clowns the habs call managers is getting really annoying.tried to stay positive over the years but this is plain dumb.give pk his big contract and if it dont work deal him to one of many teams around the league who would kill to have a d man of this calibre.it just doesnt make sense.

haburger is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 01:09 PM
  #332
Lafleurs Guy
Registered User
 
Lafleurs Guy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 23,138
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Not convinced about it. I don't think they are pushing for a 50M dollar deal. I see them asking more towards a 25-35M deal.
50 mil over how many years? Doughty is 56 over 8.

Lafleurs Guy is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 01:10 PM
  #333
Capitano
Registered User
 
Capitano's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Country: Canada
Posts: 5,298
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
Which is stupid because not everybody has the same skills, roles or development.
You need to be flexible as a GM in terms of how to deal away contracts. Giving away 4y to Prust but telling PK he's not worth more than 2years, isn't the right way to go about it.
It's the other way around. You take better care of your stars as they're way more valuable and harder to replace. Guys like Prust are a dime a dozen.
I think they signed Prust to be a role player and foster a different culture in the room - which is one of the reasons they let Gomez go imo. Do you think they hired Therrien to coach us to the cup?

Your argument would hold if we lose PK, but we are in full control of the situation with PK. Sign him short term, then lock him up if he continues to put up the points - it might cost us 'more' but at that point in time MB will have more faith when he signs him. Like I said before, if that time comes and PK isn't signed THEN I will criticize MB.

Capitano is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
  #334
LaTenderness
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Peterborough
Posts: 639
vCash: 500
Wow starting the year off at home vs T.O without PK...... Could we see the earliest riot in sports history?

LaTenderness is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 01:32 PM
  #335
Moneyman2k6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 38
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaTenderness View Post
Wow starting the year off at home vs T.O without PK...... Could we see the earliest riot in sports history?
with a -25 c felt-like temperature... I dont think so

Moneyman2k6 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:03 PM
  #336
hersky77
Registered User
 
hersky77's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,549
vCash: 500
Its the hill bergevin is going to die on

hersky77 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:05 PM
  #337
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
#FireBergevin

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
  #338
Knuckles30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
what the hell is bergevin waiting for?jesus.are we ever gonna see management that knows what they re doing ever again in montreal?this constant parade of clowns the habs call managers is getting really annoying.tried to stay positive over the years but this is plain dumb.give pk his big contract and if it dont work deal him to one of many teams around the league who would kill to have a d man of this calibre.it just doesnt make sense.
You guys do realize that the Habs can't just give Subban a $6M contract, right? As in, they don't have the cap space to do so. So either Bergevin gets Subban signed to a Del Zotto style bridge contract (which Subban isn't accepting) or he needs to dump salary - which short of trading a valuable piece, means finding a taker for Bourque or Kaberle. Any takers? Didn't think so...

Seeing as the loophole of burying $ in the minors no longer applies, how exactly do people suggest Bergevin sign Subban to a giant contract?

Knuckles30 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:17 PM
  #339
One Man Rock Band
T-Ross!!
 
One Man Rock Band's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Habville
Country: Canada
Posts: 46,061
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by 417 View Post
That puts him at 3.5M...

Less than Markov, Gorges, Kaberle...

Do you think he's less important than those 3 players? Who between Markov, Gorges, Kaberle and Subban is more likely to get the most minutes this year?

The habs certainly don't seem to think he needs to prove himself...because they use him as though he's their most accomplished defensman.
The first three because Subban is going to whine and sit out the entire season.

If what they were saying on Sportsnet is true, that Subban wants $6M per year AND a long-term deal.. **** that. Have fun watching the season on the sidelines. Diaz will do a great job as your replacement.

One Man Rock Band is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:25 PM
  #340
coolasprICE
Registered User
 
coolasprICE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Montreal
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,491
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Have fun watching the season on the sidelines. Diaz will do a great job as your replacement.
Um, no he won't. But i'll take whatever you're smoking please.

coolasprICE is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:25 PM
  #341
Marc the Habs Fan
Moderator
Cakes!
 
Marc the Habs Fan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Location: Longueuil
Country: Canada
Posts: 55,588
vCash: 567
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles30 View Post
You guys do realize that the Habs can't just give Subban a $6M contract, right? As in, they don't have the cap space to do so.
We have the room if you use the bonus cushion and send down Gallagher. That scenario puts us 7.4 M under the cap. And Weber is also very expendable once Subban is signed, so there's 850 K that can be freed up.

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster/16425

Marc the Habs Fan is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:28 PM
  #342
PunkinDrublic*
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Sutton,Qc-Sudbury,On
Posts: 8,283
vCash: 500
They are talking today.... ( speculation )

PunkinDrublic* is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:33 PM
  #343
417
Registered User
 
417's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
Location: Ottawa
Country: Haiti
Posts: 19,632
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
The first three because Subban is going to whine and sit out the entire season.If what they were saying on Sportsnet is true, that Subban wants $6M per year AND a long-term deal.. **** that. Have fun watching the season on the sidelines. Diaz will do a great job as your replacement.
#1. He's not going to sit out the entire season, when was the last time a player sat out an entire season? Alexei Yashin?...come on, it's a matter of when, not if.

#2. **** what Sportsnet is saying, no one knows for sure what he's asking for and I certainly wouldn't take what they're saying as credible.

417 is online now  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
  #344
haburger
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 1,250
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Knuckles30 View Post
You guys do realize that the Habs can't just give Subban a $6M contract, right? As in, they don't have the cap space to do so. So either Bergevin gets Subban signed to a Del Zotto style bridge contract (which Subban isn't accepting) or he needs to dump salary - which short of trading a valuable piece, means finding a taker for Bourque or Kaberle. Any takers? Didn't think so...

Seeing as the loophole of burying $ in the minors no longer applies, how exactly do people suggest Bergevin sign Subban to a giant contract?
you re telling me the habs cant find a way to fit they re best d man into the lineup because of cap constraints?ha ha ha.ok.good thing mb signed prust.

haburger is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:37 PM
  #345
Et le But
Moderator
 
Et le But's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: New York
Country: Argentina
Posts: 18,010
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Diaz will do a great job as your replacement.
I like Diaz and all, but if Diaz is supposed to be our best defender, Subban will be able to demand Gomez money soon enough.

Et le But is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:39 PM
  #346
Monctonscout
Monctonscout
 
Monctonscout's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 31,393
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by haburger View Post
you re telling me the habs cant find a way to fit they re best d man into the lineup because of cap constraints?ha ha ha.ok.good thing mb signed prust.
They have all the cap space they want. It's not about HVAING enough cap space it's about only using what SHOULD be used so you have room to build a strong team. Add other players from outside and keep our own RFA's/UFA's.

Monctonscout is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:39 PM
  #347
Estimated_Prophet
Registered User
 
Estimated_Prophet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Location: Ontario
Country: Canada
Posts: 3,207
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
The first three because Subban is going to whine and sit out the entire season.

If what they were saying on Sportsnet is true, that Subban wants $6M per year AND a long-term deal.. **** that. Have fun watching the season on the sidelines. Diaz will do a great job as your replacement.
If that is the case then let him sit. That would be a slap in the face to both Pacioretty and Price, who have both proven themselves more than Subban has.

If he demands on being paid that much then lowball him and force him to play for cheap or sit. Once he signs, start shopping him for a big, young center.

Estimated_Prophet is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
  #348
Knuckles30
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 177
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marc the Habs Fan View Post
We have the room if you use the bonus cushion and send down Gallagher. That scenario puts us 7.4 M under the cap. And Weber is also very expendable once Subban is signed, so there's 850 K that can be freed up.

http://www.capgeek.com/cap-calculator/roster/16425
Ok, so let's assume they defer the $2.5 million in bonuses and sign Subban to a $6M deal. Then next year is at $8.57 cap space - $2M deferred bonuses - $6M for Subban = $570K cap space, with only 17 players under contract. Even if you buy out Kaberle, you've now got ~$5M to sign 7 players, including Desharnais.

Pushing the bonuses to next year would be a HUGE mistake.

Knuckles30 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
  #349
Drive425
Registered User
 
Drive425's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: St Louis Du Haha
Country: Malta
Posts: 1,942
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Et le But View Post
#FireBergevin
Gainey


Goat

Drive425 is offline  
Old
01-18-2013, 02:42 PM
  #350
Andrighetto Fabolous
Ghetto
 
Andrighetto Fabolous's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Country: Canada
Posts: 9,649
vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Estimated_Prophet View Post
If that is the case then let him sit. That would be a slap in the face to both Pacioretty and Price, who have both proven themselves more than Subban has.

If he demands on being paid that much then lowball him and force him to play for cheap or sit. Once he signs, start shopping him for a big, young center.
Pacioretty has one season over 25 points and he's apparently proven yet Subban isn't proven, makes sense.

Andrighetto Fabolous is offline  
Closed Thread

Forum Jump


Bookmarks

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:16 PM.

monitoring_string = "e4251c93e2ba248d29da988d93bf5144"
Contact Us - HFBoards - Archive - Privacy Statement - Terms of Use - Advertise - Top - AdChoices

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com is a property of CraveOnline Media, LLC, an Evolve Media, LLC company. 2014 All Rights Reserved.