HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Jaroslav Halak to Toronto?

Old
01-18-2013, 12:41 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
No, you couldn't.
We already have too much depth, Elliott is not available for more.

If you want Elliott, it would take an upgrade to our team to get him. Nobody you're willing to part with upgrades our team.
Bro, I'm not a Leafs fan. I'm a Habs fan. Canucks are my second favourite, then the Blues.

I would definitely trade Elliot for a younger goalie, a defenseman like Franson and a mid-pick. However, now that Redden is signed Franson becomes less of use. I'd sitll probably move Elliot of Scrivens, Bozak, and a pick though.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:43 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawkeyeCB View Post
Bro, I'm not a Leafs fan. I'm a Habs fan. Canucks are my second favourite, then the Blues.

I would definitely trade Elliot for a younger goalie, a defenseman like Franson and a mid-pick. However, now that Redden is signed Franson becomes less of use. I'd sitll probably move Elliot of Scrivens, Bozak, and a pick though.
or frattin

p.l.f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:45 PM
CarvinSigX

vCash: 2616
You would...Doesn't mean we would. Elliott works great on the Blues. Why trade him?

CarvinSigX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:48 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

you cant keep both if they both think they can be #1's
which one goes ?

Old
01-18-2013, 12:52 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
Originally Posted by p.l.f. View Post
which one goes ?
Why not? Halak thrives in 1a 1b situations. Look how he played in MTL with Huet and Price. This is a perfect situation for him.

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:55 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

but they get paid more as true number ones
thats the bottom line

like bernier and schneider are going thru

Old
01-18-2013, 12:56 PM
One Man Rock Band
Slater's Gonna Slate

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
You would...Doesn't mean we would. Elliott works great on the Blues. Why trade him?
As a Blues fan (yes they aren't my favourite but I still watch most games), I don't see the reason not too. Halak is capable of being a 60-game #1 goalie. If say, you got Matt Frattin and a 3rd round pick + a back-up goalie who has great AHL numbers and looked decent in his first NHL stint - it's a deal I make. It adds a ton of value.

I see Frattin as a 25-25 guy, while I see Scrivens being a .910 SV% guy as a backup. Add in a 3rd round pick and I think the value is too good to pass up. Again, I consider this an overpayment. For a guy like Halak, Toronto would have to be offering Reilly & Gardiner +.

One Man Rock Band is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:58 PM
Habsawce

vCash: 200
Quote:
As a Blues fan (yes they aren't my favourite but I still watch most games), I don't see the reason not too. Halak is capable of being a 60-game #1 goalie. If say, you got Matt Frattin and a 3rd round pick + a back-up goalie who has great AHL numbers and looked decent in his first NHL stint - it's a deal I make. It adds a ton of value.

I see Frattin as a 25-25 guy, while I see Scrivens being a .910 SV% guy as a backup. Add in a 3rd round pick and I think the value is too good to pass up. Again, I consider this an overpayment. For a guy like Halak, Toronto would have to be offering Reilly & Gardiner +.
He's never played 60 games in his career. Not even in junior, so why would the Blues all of a sudden change what has made him successful to get a 3rd line player?

Habsawce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:05 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

leafs could use a big center like berglund
maybe theres a blockbuster in the brewing

Old
01-18-2013, 01:08 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:

Halak is still not ready to be a solidified #1 yet.

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:11 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
leafs could use a big center like berglund
maybe theres a blockbuster in the brewing
Keep telling yourself that...Can this thread be locked?

Old
01-18-2013, 01:12 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

gotta keep your payroll down
cant keep em all

Old
01-18-2013, 01:17 PM
sh724

Quote:
cant keep em all
The Blues only have 2 actual centers on their roster they are not trading one unless a better one is coming back

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:17 PM
Bluesman91

vCash: 2357
Quote:
cant keep em all
We don't offer Tim Connolly 9.5mil for 2 years or give Komisarek 4.5 mil a year

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:19 PM
CarvinSigX

Quote:
cant keep em all
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The Blues are one of the best negotiating teams in the entire league. They could give Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk big money and still have room for Berglund. Stewart is the one that could price his way out of St. Louis...Not the player that plays a position we're weak at.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:19 PM
416Leafer

I find it funny that 95% of the goalie proposals for one of St. Louis' goalies involves Halak and not Elliot... shows the lack of faith around the league in Elliots longterm ability.

So if the general consensus league wide is that Elliot has to prove himself again... then why exactly would Halak be available in the first place??

Presumably, St. Louis would want to trade the lesser of the two goalies, and yet everyone around the league only wants to trade for one of them (implying he's the better of the two).

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:47 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:

/sigh Where to begin?

How about were you say your a Blues fan and then try to trade a winger to the Blues. Really? Even with Porter being waived, the Blues have Perron, Oshie, McDonald, Stewart, Schwartz, Tarasenko, D'Agostini, Sobotka, Reaves, and Langerbrunner as wingers on one-way contracts. That is ten wingers for eight spots. Frattin isn't taking a spot from Perron, Oshie, McDonald, Stewart, Schwartz, or Tarasenko. He isn't a hybrid enforcer, so Reaves is safe. Langenbrunner is an alternate captain, so his spot is probably safe. Sobotka offers better defense, and is a spark plug for the team, pretty much a perfect fourth liner for Hitchcock. So the only person Frattin might displace this season is Matt D'Agostini on the bench. But D'Agostini has proven he can score 20 goals in the NHL with the opportunity, and offers a speed element missing from much of the Blues roster. An element that Frattin doesn't bring.

Then there is the fact that Halak has started more then 50 games just once in his career. He had the worst season of his career that year, posting a save percentage ten points less than his career average. Just because you say Halak is capable of starting 60+ games doesn't make it a good idea.

Matt Frattin isn't a 25-25 guy yet, and frankly I think that is setting the bar very high for him. 20-20 is more likely. Even so, where does he fit? Which RW does he bump from the Blues line-up? TJ Oshie? Chris Stewart? Vladimir Tarasenko? Jamie Langenbrunner? As mentioned earlier, the only person he really has a chance to bump would be Matt D'Agostini. But D'Ags offers an element that Frattin doesn't, so it isn't even certain that he would do that.

A third round pick probably won't turn into anything for 3 - 5 years, if at all.

While Scrivens is a decent goalie, I'd have some issues with downgrading from Elliott to him. He is less seasoned than Elliott, and is a complete question mark as to how he would fit in the system and the locker-room.

Elliott is a reigning All-Star and the all time single season save percentage leader. While nobody in St. Louis expects him to repeat the season he had last year, we do expect the goalie that was a Hobey Baker finalist, a NCAA champion, and an AHL All-Star as opposed to the guy who showed poorly on a defensively weak Senators team.

In short, the Blues are in win now mode. You are offering us a downgrade at goalie for a guy who would play in the AHL this season and a 3rd round pick.

Yes, in a vaccuum, you are offering plenty of value. BUT that value is being spread over several years, and for a team that is trying to win now, it makes no sense.

BLUES:
  • Downgrade in goal
  • Accuire player for AHL roster or NHL press box who plays the most stacked position in the organization
  • Acquire a third round pick whose contributions, if any, are a years away.

Why would the Blues do this? You are asking the Blues to gamble that Halak can handle a tougher work load than ever asked of him, and that Scrivens can replace Elliott effectively, and are offering a guy who, barring injury, has no place on the Blues NHL roster and a draft pick who in all likelyhood will never suit up for an NHL team.

bluemandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:58 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
which one goes ?
Since you clearly don't know:

THE BLUES GOALTENDING DUO IS LOCKED UP FOR THE NEXT TWO YEARS FOR CHEAPER THAN THE FOLLOW GOALIES:
  • Pekka Rinne
  • Henrik Lundqvist
  • Roberto Luongo
  • Ilya Bryzgalov
  • Cam Ward
  • Ryan Miller
  • Niklas Backstrom

We clearly don't need to think about this until the trade deadline next season at the very earliest.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:59 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarvinSigX View Post
You clearly have no idea what you're talking about. The Blues are one of the best negotiating teams in the entire league. They could give Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk big money and still have room for Berglund. Stewart is the one that could price his way out of St. Louis...Not the player that plays a position we're weak at.
stop bullying me

what's the blue payroll at?

Old
01-18-2013, 02:01 PM
bluemandan
Ya Ma Goo!

Quote:
stop bullying me

what's the blue payroll at?
Bullied? HAHAHAHAHA. Stop making stuff up. All he did was point out that you clearly are unfamiliar with the Blues and their salary commitments.

capgeek.com

Old
01-18-2013, 02:39 PM
Viqsi
carrying the flag

Send a message via AIM to Viqsi
Quote:
Originally Posted by kimzey59 View Post
Knowing full well that this will probably start a fight and I probably shouldn't post it:

Yes.
Leaf's fans post almost weekly threads trying to get Halak and/or Stewart for scraps, but because we finally got tired of being "nice" when saying "no" we're smart-*****.
Sorry, but we're tired of having these threads brought up about our players by the SAME FANBASE every week and telling you the same thing every time. We're reaching Einstein's definition of crazy with you Leaf's fans. By bringing these same threads up repeatedly, some Leaf's fans are acting like dumb-*****.

This isn't about us not being willing to move players; it is about you guys not having what we'd want. We have tried explaining to you guys nicely that you don't have the pieces we'd be looking for, yet you persist in trying to push the same rejected trade ideas every few days. It's not happening, give it up already.

Honestly; the Mod's should post a ban on all TOR/STL proposal's. They all end the same and both fanbases are getting frustrated over it.
Sympathies. Been there, done that, with a completely different fanbase. Sometimes you just give up on decency and candor and start screwing with 'em just to get at least some entertainment out of the whole situation.

...for example, the price for Ryan Johansen is still Jordan Eberle.

Thanks, Howson, for cleaning up MacLean's toxic waste. Welcome, Kekalainen; let's get good things built!
Viqsi is offline   Reply With Quote