HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Notices

The return of Colton Orr!

Old
01-11-2013, 06:27 PM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew311 View Post
Having Fraser and Orr in the press box wouldn't be a bad thing. We're playing in a division full of tough guys, would be nice not to get pushed around for once.

Ottawa: Neil, Smith (although they got a lot less tough over the summer)
Buffalo: Ott, Kaleta, Scott
Montreal: Prust, Moen
Boston: Lucic, McQuaid, Chara, Thornton

Now if the Leafs had available...

Orr, Brown, Fraser, Phaneuf and Komisarek

We would have one of the more intimidating teams in the division. I'm not sure this is the direction Nonis wants to take the team, but my theory is if the Leafs are going to lose, they might as well bang the other team up in the process.
+White and Bouillon

habs03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 06:50 PM
black charger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tak7 View Post
What's the point of Orr now?

Is there still room in the league for a tough guy enforcer type? I'm not convinced that it is - at best, it's for a handful of nights per season only. Division rivalries, etc.

He's got such limited skating and puck ability, and he's such a limited player, that there's just no room for him.

Why would you give him a roster spot over someone who can inject some speed, energy, and grit into the lineup?

Outside of fighting, Orr offers nothing.
You need to make the other team's players think twice about taking cheap shots at your stars.The only way to do this is by letting opponents know that there will be consequences if this happens.Who else does this team have that other players would be intimidated by.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:19 PM
eyeball11

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTFMAN99 View Post
John Scott is a tough guy...no one is beating him.
Devane?

eyeball11 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 07:22 PM
TieClark

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball11 View Post
Devane?
Orr>Devane

TieClark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-11-2013, 08:28 PM
Hawaiinleaf

Last years loss to Boston 8-1 was a game were the leafs were brutalized all game long as Boston ran Kessel, and every other player..

Burke called it the most embarrassing game he has ever had as a GM

To say it does not matter to be tough anymore i suggest you watch the game film

Hawaiinleaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:10 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Carlyle: Players need to be comfortable. Orr bringss protection.

01-18-2013, 12:11 PM
p.l.f.
mvp

i fear for his life
what if he gets dinged

p.l.f. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:13 PM
onebighockeyfan

I don't get this. All the talk about giving younger guys a chance. I would waive Orr as well, he's useless.

onebighockeyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:13 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

So I imagine he'll only slot in for games against Boston, Philly, Ottawa etc.? Looking forward to seeing him and Komarov terrorize the Sens and Habs at least.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:16 PM
Everlong
JoeyBats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Brown View Post
So I imagine he'll only slot in for games against Boston, Philly, Ottawa etc.? Looking forward to seeing him and Komarov terrorize the Sens and Habs at least.
I like the idea of keeping Orr around just for Sabres games. If you haven't seen him play that often, you'll create an instant hatred for Ott. Steckel will probably see more games overall, Orr will be designated to perma-scratch.

Everlong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:17 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by black charger View Post
You need to make the other team's players think twice about taking cheap shots at your stars.The only way to do this is by letting opponents know that there will be consequences if this happens.Who else does this team have that other players would be intimidated by.
I don't get why they'd be afraid... it's not like Orr can catch most players very easily. And they don't have to fight him. It's also not like Orr is on Kessels line, Kadris line, etc. He can't exactly protect them all that easily.

Personally if I'm an actual NHL who can play hockey, but happens to also be physical, I would refuse to fight guys like Orr. Let Orr just get a penalty and enjoy the PP. I would fight other legitimate NHLers, but not just a "heavyweight" that can't contribute otherwise and really should just get phased out of the sport.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:18 PM
Rob Brown
Way She Goes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everlong View Post
I like the idea of keeping Orr around just for Sabres games. If you haven't seen him play that often, you'll create an instant hatred for Ott. Steckel will probably see more games overall, Orr will be designated to perma-scratch.
Ah, I forgot about Ott. So pretty much Orr will be dressed for divisional games, plus like Philly and maybe a few others. I don't mind it.

Rob Brown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:28 PM
masyo88*

lol at all the Nancies in this thread, do you guys not realize Orr has improved in every facet of the game? We play in the toughest division in hockey folks, if we don't have an Orr on the team then we are sitting around like lame ducks. His skating has improved, his over all game has improved to and plus he can chuck em with the best of them. I think Orr will be playing most of the games. Frattin is useless on the fourth line and is in a big time slump, Steckel has become replaced with a better player in the same position in Mcclement. It was Orr's spot to take. Can't wait to see Orr destroy some faces while you nancies cry about why hes not playing!

masyo88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:34 PM
416Leafer

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post
lol at all the Nancies in this thread, do you guys not realize Orr has improved in every facet of the game? We play in the toughest division in hockey folks, if we don't have an Orr on the team then we are sitting around like lame ducks. His skating has improved, his over all game has improved to and plus he can chuck em with the best of them. I think Orr will be playing most of the games. Frattin is useless on the fourth line and is in a big time slump, Steckel has become replaced with a better player in the same position in Mcclement. It was Orr's spot to take. Can't wait to see Orr destroy some faces while you nancies cry about why hes not playing!
If that's true, then I don't have as much of a problem with it. I just don't like guys who literally just go out there to fight. It's something that a lot of good players can bring to the table (i.e. Lucic), but if that's all you bring, you shouldn't be in the NHL. So hopefully Orr actually can help in other aspects.

416Leafer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:37 PM
masyo88*

Quote:
Originally Posted by 416Leafer View Post
If that's true, then I don't have as much of a problem with it. I just don't like guys who literally just go out there to fight. It's something that a lot of good players can bring to the table (i.e. Lucic), but if that's all you bring, you shouldn't be in the NHL. So hopefully Orr actually can help in other aspects.
He was a contributor to the marlies calder cup run. Hes lost 25 pounds, his skating is vastly improved. From the starting of camp he has got nothing but praises from everyone for his improved style of play.

masyo88* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:50 PM
Hockeylaw

If he can skate, hit, make some sort of an offensive contribution on the fourth line, and generally not be a liability on the ice, he'll be a very welcome addition. But I'm doubtful.

I'm not sure that 26 regular season games with the Marlies (in which he scored a single goal, and was a -4 overall), 8 AHL playoffs games (in which he scored no points, and was a -2 overall) and an extended off-season are sufficient to enable a 30-year-old hockey player to completely reinvent his game. I'm expecting more of the same.

That said, the notion that having a brawler like Orr putting around on your fourth line gives the rest of the team more confidence always seemed like highly suspect reasoning to me. Orr overwhelmingly fights other plugs like him... not the players who actually out-muscle, out-score and out-hit our forwards. Nor can he actually protect our better forwards on the ice, because actually playing him with our better forwards would be a huge offensive/defensive liability. Nor can he take action against any player unwilling to fight without drawing an instigator penalty. That means a Steve Ott or a Milan Lucic can run over our forwards all they like, and get away with it as long as they don't drop the gloves.

The solution is to ice bigger, stronger forwards who can't get run over in the first place. Or more players like Komarov, who can (hopefully) respond by running over/annoying the hell out of the opposing team's forwards/pests in kind.

Boston didn't sweep us last season, and dominate us in that lopsided 8-0 loss, because we didn't have Orr on the fourth line. That is one of the silliest fallacies I have seen perpetuated on these boards.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:09 PM
SteveV*

Can't wait to watch Orr dress, only to fight another goon at the faceoff circle, having absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the game. Man I miss that useless display that inspires nobody!!

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:18 PM
18leafsfan18

I can't believe that so many people on here think that fighting isn't part of the game.
If you don't have anyone in your lineup to stand up to the cheap shot players in the league they will take advantage.
If you have someone in your lineup like Orr those cheap players will think twice before throwing a cheap hit or punch on the good players.
Everyone has a role on a good team.

18leafsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:19 PM
18leafsfan18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Can't wait to watch Orr dress, only to fight another goon at the faceoff circle, having absolutely no bearing whatsoever on the game. Man I miss that useless display that inspires nobody!!
I don't know many hockey players or fans that don't love to see one of their teammates beat someone up after a cheap shot.

18leafsfan18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:20 PM
ChuckWoods

Quote:
Originally Posted by 18leafsfan18 View Post
I can't believe that so many people on here think that fighting isn't part of the game.
If you don't have anyone in your lineup to stand up to the cheap shot players in the league they will take advantage.
If you have someone in your lineup like Orr those cheap players will think twice before throwing a cheap hit or punch on the good players.
Everyone has a role on a good team.
Exactly.

Has anyone noticed that in today's game, people seem to get into a fight even if they lay out a clean hit?

It is completely ridiculous that someone has to defend themselves after making a clean hit, but that is the direction this league has gone in and players know that.

Now imagine being on the opposite team, and knowing that you're going to have to answer the bell with Colton Orr on the opposite bench if you decide to take a run at someone.

Players these days are expecting to get run themselves if they lay out a big hit, clean or dirty. Because of this some guys will second guess whether or not to take a big run at our players because they don't want to have to deal with Orr later.

ChuckWoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:20 PM
thewave

Best move all season on par with letting Kadri play. Way to go Carlyle we are gonna be winners this year or damn well tank to the worst degree trying!.

*I really like Orr, glad he is back in shape.

thewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:21 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
I wouldn't dispute that, but NOW you need seviceable tough guys that can actually play. The traditional goon, which Orr is, is no longer a necessary piece. You need toughness that can play, like Boston. Orr is a relic and his fights with other goons do nothing for the team or the outcome.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
I don't know many hockey players or fans that don't love to see one of their teammates beat someone up after a cheap shot.
That's not what Orr does though, 95 percent of his fights involve sitting at a faceoff with another useless goon and conducting a per arranged dance that has no bearing on the game, nor was precipitated by anything on the ice.

Old
01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
CanadasTeam
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by masyo88 View Post
He was a contributor to the marlies calder cup run. Hes lost 25 pounds, his skating is vastly improved. From the starting of camp he has got nothing but praises from everyone for his improved style of play.
That sounds promising can't wait for him to hit the ice again.

For the doubters, Carlyle has plans for him --he is not an idiot.

CanadasTeam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Hockeylaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I wouldn't dispute that, but NOW you need seviceable tough guys that can actually play. The traditional goon, which Orr is, is no longer a necessary piece. You need toughness that can play, like Boston. Orr is a relic and his fights with other goons do nothing for the team or the outcome.
Couldn't agree more.

Let's hope Orr really has turned a corner.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote