HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

NY Islanders claim Brian Strait

Old
01-18-2013, 01:25 PM
CREW99AW

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
New York Islanders are the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NHL. With players like Strait and a move to Brooklyn looks like the Isles will easily take over the Dodgers old nickname of "Dem Bums".
Both 20 yr old Nino and 22 yr old Donovan, have been named to the AHL all-star team. Isles didn't invite either to training camp. Snow's comments indicate that they wanted Nino anyway, playing top line mins in all situations and if he wasn't gonna being doing that on LI, they wanted him doing that in the AHL.

Would all the fans boohooing about Snow's low risk waiver pickups, still be boohooing, if Snow had given Nino the spot Aucoin will take? If the isles had penciled Donovan into the #6 spot and taken only 1-2 of Hickey/Strait/Finley ?

CREW99AW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:26 PM
General Granny*

Might as well have a sticky for Isles Waiver Claims thread.

General Granny* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:27 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Strait's like the Jay Beagle of defensemen. He's not great at anything. But he doesn't hurt you in his ice-time, ever.

Difference being, if Beagle's known for anything, it's for getting knocked out. If Strait's known for anything, it's being able to grow a sweet beard.

He's not an AHLer; he's just been lost in the numbers game for 2-3 years now.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:28 PM
It Was 4 to 1
Penguins MVPs

Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Newsday reported that Aucoin practiced today on the 4th line. That Bailey and JJ are out another 1-3 weeks. Fans act as if Aucoin is on Tavares wing.

None of Hickey/Strait/Finley is being put in the top 5. Isles still expect Vis to join them in 2-3 weeks, meaning 2 of Hickey/Strait/Finley will be back on waivers.

Streit-MacDonald
Vis-Hamonic
Carkner-Martinek
Hickey/Strait/Finley
it amazes me to see fans freak out over a waiver claiming. the islanders have had injury problems on d. they pick up 3 dmen to fortify the position and so they don't have any prospects being rushed into the nhl. bailey and joensuu are out, they pick up aucoin to play on the bottom 6 for 1-3 weeks, so nino or strome don't have to.

but it's the islanders so people get a free pass for making fun of them

Last edited by piqued: 01-18-2013 at 01:42 PM. Reason: qep
It Was 4 to 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:34 PM
Riseonfire
R+L=J

Islanders claim waivers.... all of it.

Riseonfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:35 PM
billybudd
5 Mike Rupps

Quote:
Originally Posted by gordie View Post
New York Islanders are the Pittsburgh Pirates of the NHL
There are some similarities, but I feel the Islanders are shrewder with how they allocate their lack of money than the Pirates are. Better at drafting and talent analysis, too.

billybudd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:40 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

May have already been posted, but I'll steal it anyway:

All your waivers are belong to us!

The Isles did a nice job of adding some depth to an injury depleted and drama filled (actually only one drama queen) defense corps at the AAAA level. These guys upgrade our bottom pairings on LI and some help for the Bridgeport Soundtigers. Nothing earth shattering, but smart moves nonetheless. Not many options anyway so Snow has taken advantage of what little is available.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:53 PM
Riptide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
Well if that were to happen who would the pens fans new whipping boy be?? can TK handle it all?

Strait is beyond expendable, he's been a solid AHL dman, but lovejoy is bigger, better skater, and has NHL experience. Lovejoy is not as bad as advertised. And lets face it they both would have been gone after this year anyway, with Depres, Dumoulin, and Morrow close.
No, he's worse.

"Itís not as if Donald Fehr was lying to us, several players said. Rather, itís as if he has been economical with information, these players believe, not sharing facts these players consider to be vital."
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:05 PM
PROMputt
God,Family,Islanders

vCash: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Strait's ready for bottom pairing minutes. I'm not happy the Pens waived him over Lovejoy.
I trust your judgement as many of your posts' in the Islanders board have been honest and knowledgeable. I hope he has a nice season.
I believe Snow picked him and Finley as 1 year (maybe more if they perform well) replacements until some of the Islander prospects are ready for NHL call ups. Snow has been criticized in the past for rushing prospects and now he is being criticized for trying to find inexpensive short term replacements until they are ready (also the Visnovsky situation is not helping, but again out of Snow's control).

PROMputt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:08 PM
Fire Sather
Play Like a Pug

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Fire Sather
Seriously, make a rule to stop this garbage. How many guys are you gunna claim?

Fire Sather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:12 PM
UnderratedBrooks44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
Who cares? I don't understand the hate/shots taken towards the Isles. They need Dmen. Maybe someone like Strait will end up at least being a bottom pair guy for them. It's smart given how horrid their D is now.

UnderratedBrooks44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:14 PM
domaug*
Flahr Pahr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fire Sather View Post
if they want to fill their roster with players who were going to play in the AHL anyway, let them. no skin off the Pens' backs. they were probably going to let go of Lovejoy or Strait anyway (one would be going when Morrow is ready). Strait just drew the short end of the stick.

Strait is a solid prospect, but i don't expect him to do anything more than become a bottom-pair defenseman, a #6 at best, and that's if he works on his kinks and doesn't have any setbacks.

the plus for the Islanders is that he's still very young, and if he doesn't do what they need him to do, he's gone at the end of the year.

domaug* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:15 PM
TmlHockeyFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockeyGuruPitka View Post
Is it just me or do the islanders want Seth Jones?
Edmonton will get first pick anyways.

TmlHockeyFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:27 PM
CaptainCally

Quote:
Originally Posted by TmlHockeyFan View Post
Edmonton could win the cup they'd somehow end up with #1 pick either way

CaptainCally is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:50 PM
SpeedDemon

vCash: 491
Quote:
only if they lose deliberately. I see the Jackets picking between 4th and 8th this time

SpeedDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:52 PM
tantalum

After failing to build through the draft, the Islanders have decided to build through the waiver wire.

tantalum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:08 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLAPSHOT723 View Post
I'm at a loss for words, this makes no sense to me.
this...

It means That Finley will be waived imo

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:12 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredmale View Post
Bailey and Jesse Joensuu(who was expected to make a play for a bottom 6 spot) are both injured

Vishnovsky was suspended

My guess is one of the waiver pickup defensemen will be sent down within a month(and the original team can reclaim them)
original team only??

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:16 PM
original islander

Quote:

MacKinnon would be a good choice for the Islanders in that case. I would be happy with either one, but I'm still hoping for the playoffs.

original islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Elever
Hth

Stupid Isles when they get injuries they'll have too many dmen ready to go and replace players. That means Edmonton will probably finish behind them again. Garth Snow is failing as a tank commander so far this season.

Elever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:52 PM
Dr Quincy

Quote:
Originally Posted by JawandaPuck View Post
Visnovsky (L) suspended today.

LD-RD
MacDonald-Hamonic
Streit-Martinek
Hickey-Carkner
Strait (L)
Finley (L - may play as a forward for now)
From what I've seen from the 2 of them in the AHL, I'd play Strait before I would Hickey.

Dr Quincy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:00 PM
wej20

Strait's game is completely KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), he should be fine handling bottom pairing minutes and being 3rd or 4th dman used on the PK.

wej20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:04 PM
boredmale

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrongIslanders90 View Post
original team only??
Well let's say he passes through waivers(ie nobody claims him) Buffalo would have the option of picking him back up and sending him to their AHL team

boredmale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:22 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Quote:
Originally Posted by CREW99AW View Post
Both 20 yr old Nino and 22 yr old Donovan, have been named to the AHL all-star team. Isles didn't invite either to training camp. Snow's comments indicate that they wanted Nino anyway, playing top line mins in all situations and if he wasn't gonna being doing that on LI, they wanted him doing that in the AHL.

Would all the fans boohooing about Snow's low risk waiver pickups, still be boohooing, if Snow had given Nino the spot Aucoin will take? If the isles had penciled Donovan into the #6 spot and taken only 1-2 of Hickey/Strait/Finley ?
Isles are doing the right thing in not rushing these prospects. After Nino finishes last season with 1 point in 55 games, I'd expect them to let him get top-six minutes in the AHL, which should be a positive for his development. Clearly, last season could have been a step back for him but he's done well in the minors this year so far.

Anyway, honestly, I'd say Strait is the best of the three defensemen the Isles claimed this week. Won't wow you with anything, little-to-no offense, and at best a bottom-pairing defensive defenseman, but the Islanders will welcome that. Simply, he can play and not look out of place as long as you don't give him too much responsibility. Keep him on the bottom-pairing and he'll be your average defenseman who won't do anything more than what his role is. He's not particularly great at anything, just alright.

I, for one, don't believe Visnovsky will return, so Isles have to work with what they have and that's why Snow's using the waiver wire. Visnovsky and injuries have decimated this team this offseason. I'll believe Visnovsky's back when I see it. Wouldn't be surprised if he never comes back to the NHL.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:23 PM
eXile59
Shirts on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anderson55 View Post
Well if that were to happen who would the pens fans new whipping boy be?? can TK handle it all?

Strait is beyond expendable, he's been a solid AHL dman, but lovejoy is bigger, better skater, and has NHL experience. Lovejoy is not as bad as advertised. And lets face it they both would have been gone after this year anyway, with Depres, Dumoulin, and Morrow close.
Experience at being bad. There is a reason he was benched in the playoffs for Despres & it wasn't because Despres was playing really well. Losing Strait was just something that had to happen giving the depth but losing him before we lost Lovejoy was just stupid.

eXile59 is offline   Reply With Quote