HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The return of Colton Orr!

Old
01-18-2013, 02:24 PM
BonMorrison
Belie ... Dat.

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
I wouldn't dispute that, but NOW you need seviceable tough guys that can actually play. The traditional goon, which Orr is, is no longer a necessary piece. You need toughness that can play, like Boston. Orr is a relic and his fights with other goons do nothing for the team or the outcome.
Gotta agree with this. I understand the need for fighting, and I understand how important morale is on the ice. But the game has shifted - you can be a guy that fights for your team AND be able to play hockey. Guys like Campbell, Thornton, Prust, Neil, etc.

I'll give Orr a pass for now because I want to see these improvements he's made but my hopes aren't too high.

BonMorrison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:24 PM
Rinzler

I have no problems with Orr being on this team. I was at two of the Boston games last year, it was sad. Our division is even tougher than last year, we had to respond. I hope it works out well. Brown and Orr are going to wear down a few bodies, that's for sure.

Also, Komarov is going to need some backup.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:26 PM
mapleleaf979

I hope Frattin gets the call if Kulemin/Macarthur or another top 9 forward are struggling.

mapleleaf979 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Aplayaz2000

looks like the rats will have it coming

Aplayaz2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:29 PM
Fogelhund

Quote:
I wouldn't dispute that, but NOW you need seviceable tough guys that can actually play. The traditional goon, which Orr is, is no longer a necessary piece. You need toughness that can play, like Boston. Orr is a relic and his fights with other goons do nothing for the team or the outcome.
I agree with you, but then what if you don't have available such a player? Then what?

I'll wait to judge Orr based upon his 25 pounds lost, we'll see how this affects him both as a skater, hockey player and fighter. Also, I am concerned about his ability to take a punch, after the concussion... hope he doesn't get hurt in a serious and permanent way.

Fogelhund is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:31 PM
Hockeylaw

Also, just to put the "Orr will help us defeat Boston" thing to rest...

Orr has suited up for 10 games against Boston in his career with the Leafs. Our record in that time? 3-5-2. Which suggests to me that his presence hasn't really made much of a difference on that front in the past.

But maybe it will going forward.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:38 PM
Rinzler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeylaw View Post
Also, just to put the "Orr will help us defeat Boston" thing to rest...

Orr has suited up for 10 games against Boston in his career with the Leafs. Our record in that time? 3-5-2. Which suggests to me that his presence hasn't really made much of a difference on that front in the past.

But maybe it will going forward.
Teams that get dominated physically usually end up losing more often than winning. Orr balances the playing field. It doesn't mean we'll have more wins vs Boston, they are still a much better team overall than the Leafs, but at least we can compete with them on a physical level now which gives us a better chance. Brown, Orr and Komarov will all need to be on the ice during those games.

Rinzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:44 PM
Hockeylaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rinzler View Post
Teams that get dominated physically usually end up losing more often than winning. Orr balances the playing field. It doesn't mean we'll have more wins vs Boston, they are still a much better team overall than the Leafs, but at least we can compete with them on a physical level now which gives us a better chance. Brown, Orr and Komarov will all need to be on the ice during those games.
Point well taken, but, with respect, I think we'll need a lot more than Orr to balance the playing field on the physicality front. However, if he's improved some of the other dimensions of his game, especially if he is now quick enough to effectively hit, forecheck, backcheck, dig for the puck, etc., then it's a great start.

Hockeylaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:03 PM
Brewsky
King Of The Ice Mugs

Send a message via ICQ to Brewsky Send a message via AIM to Brewsky Send a message via MSN to Brewsky Send a message via Yahoo to Brewsky Send a message via Skype™ to Brewsky
Colton Orr baby, just the fact that I can say that there's somebody that can kick ass out there for the pestering that Kadri and Komorov will do is gon be good.

Brewsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:00 PM
Epoch

Brown, Orr and Fraser? Nice.

Epoch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:10 PM
WildcatMapleLeafs28

Glad to see a great guy get a second chance. He seems to have taken it seriously given the work he's been putting in his conditioning/skating. Can't hurt ot have him around , even if he's rotated in the line up when we play the likes of Boston,Buffalo,Montreal etc.. He'll look better under Carlyle's directions as well..

WildcatMapleLeafs28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
black charger

Quote:
That's not what Orr does though, 95 percent of his fights involve sitting at a faceoff with another useless goon and conducting a per arranged dance that has no bearing on the game, nor was precipitated by anything on the ice.

I think that his role may be more than just fighting another goon.He'll play 4th line and the line he's on will be out for revenge if other teams try to push the Leafs around.

black charger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:03 PM
EmergencyExit

vCash: 578
That was a nice article. The encouraging thing to see is that he's not resisting change, he seems to have made an effort to try and reinvent himself. I suppose for the sake of his career he has to.

With that said, I'll remain cautiously skeptic. Orr is a nice guy and I would be happy to see him succeed. However I feel like even Komisarek tries to 'reinvent' himself every year and yet we see the same guy on the ice. When I look at Orr's totals I just see black holes on the stat line. I'm not expecting him to score goals in the first place, but my concern is that I don't want so many grinders on the team that it becomes redundant. If the top six does all the scoring while the bottom six is devoid of any offense it won't bode well for the team. If Orr can stick around as a capable hockey player while making sure our team doesn't get abused, then all the better.

EmergencyExit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:14 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
He can skate now, that's for sure. We'll see if he can help establish a decent fore-check and help the 4th line play some relevant minutes.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:21 PM
Looney Toonies

Can't wait until we play Boston when Marchand hits anyone. Orr is gonna lose it and kill him. Well thats what i'm hoping for anyway.
ALSO: Really hope Orr gets Lucic for what he did to Komisarek. It will really speak volumes to me if Lucic turns him down for a fight. Before anyone chimes in with the "Why would Lucic fight someone with absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the game" ask yourself why he would fight our usually worst d man, who he's already ran over once.

Looney Toonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:24 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

does Orr still have a dislocated finger? or is he ok to play and fight

cup67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:29 PM
JAMmer124
Independent Living

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brownstache View Post
Can't wait until we play Boston when Marchand hits anyone. Orr is gonna lose it and kill him. Well thats what i'm hoping for anyway.
ALSO: Really hope Orr gets Lucic for what he did to Komisarek. It will really speak volumes to me if Lucic turns him down for a fight. Before anyone chimes in with the "Why would Lucic fight someone with absolutely nothing to do with the outcome of the game" ask yourself why he would fight our usually worst d man, who he's already ran over once.
Orr paid a visit to Mr Lucic a couple years ago. I don't think Lucic wants to open that door again.

JAMmer124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Looney Toonies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Volume View Post
Orr paid a visit to Mr Lucic a couple years ago. I don't think Lucic wants to open that door again.
This is exactly my point. It will speak volumes to his character if he answers the bell with Orr.

Looney Toonies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:32 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funk Volume View Post
are orr's hands ok to FIGHT ?

Old
01-18-2013, 06:33 PM
SteveV*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy Boucher View Post
He can skate now, that's for sure. We'll see if he can help establish a decent fore-check and help the 4th line play some relevant minutes.
Come on guys, a soon to be 31 has found his legs?

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:35 PM
Guy Boucher

vCash: 370
Quote:
Come on guys, a soon to be 31 has found his legs?
It doesn't matter how old you are. If you lose a lot of (unnecessary) weight, you'll gain speed.

Guy Boucher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:23 PM
egd27
#freethebigpicture

There won't be too many games decided by Orr's skill set, improved or not.
He is there to ensure liberties are not taken with those who have more skill. If he is allowed to play that role, and can provide 7 or 8 minutes of hockey that doesn't cost us goals against, he will be an asset to the team.

egd27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:31 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by egd27 View Post
there won't be too many games decided by orr's skill set, improved or not.
He is there to ensure liberties are not taken with those who have more skill. If he is allowed to play that role, and can provide 7 or 8 minutes of hockey that doesn't cost us goals against, he will be an asset to the team.
are his hands ok to fight?

Old
01-18-2013, 07:44 PM
Paris in Flames

Pfft. Punch with the other hand.

Paris in Flames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:46 PM
cup67
HAIL TO OUR LEADER

Quote:
Originally Posted by paris in flames View Post
pfft. Punch with the other hand.
can he hold the player with the other hand?