HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > St. Louis Blues
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Blues Sign Wade Redden (1 year, $800K)

Old
01-18-2013, 02:33 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesman91 View Post
Cole needs to be traded. I've been saying it for 2 years but he is a bottom pairing defenseman or does not crack the NHL. Would like to see Dags, Cole, and a pick to go for a true partner for petro.

Cole has the abilities to play at a high level of hockey, but his hockey IQ is what makes him a bad player. Trade him now before his stock drops anymore.
and I say give him a ****in chance.
he is a bull, good physical play and worked on his offensive skills in the A and I don't believe that management lost trust in him. any quotes?
i mean, why the hell would they pair him with Petro yesterday and today, one day before opening night?

frostyflo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:35 PM
DrVanntastic

vCash: 630
Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycutt View Post
Yup, in the AHL.
You honestly think they'll send Cole down before Woywitka?

If the Blues were that worried about Cole, Colaiacovo would have been re-signed.

DrVanntastic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:36 PM
Rizzo90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honeycutt View Post
Yup, in the AHL.
I wonder why he is expected to start against detroit paired with petro, I haven't seen him play, but I guess we'll all find out how Cole does here real soon, either way this signing looks to be a reasonable business decision

to add: When I did see him @ the informal skate last friday, not many of the forwards were slippin past him, @ least not with the puck

Rizzo90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:37 PM
MainDotC
Depth Defenceman

Send a message via AIM to MainDotC Send a message via Yahoo to MainDotC Send a message via Skype™ to MainDotC
Total bargain. Sorry to see he couldn't join Ottawa.

MainDotC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:39 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

Well, there you go.

Cole-Petro.

I'm actually happy I'm wrong about that but the signs did not indicate Cole was in good standing.

We'll see what happens when Redden gets in the fold but Cole gets an opportunity.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:40 PM
Bluesman91

They have him paired with Petro for the same reason they had Cola paired with Petro. Petro is our best defenseman while Cole is our worst. Petro will most likely have to cover his ass for most of the games. I'm expecting Cole to take the first penalty of the year with some ******** like high sticking in the offensive zone.

Bluesman91 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:41 PM
SirPaste

vCash: 245
Why does everyone assume Cole is not in good standing, I would like to see some links or quotes that show any reason to believe this

SirPaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:42 PM
MattyMo35
Schwartz Be With You

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOrganist View Post
This summer was supposed to be another "huge" off-season for Cole (Dan O'Neil wrote a nice article on the topic after the season re: Cole's development and a possible partner for Petro) and heading into training camp he should've had a leg up on the competition by competing in the AHL (which Hitch said was the biggest advantage during the lockout).

And yet here we are with the Blues signing a 35+ defenseman and Cole likely heading back to the AHL where, if the Blues still believe in him long-term, it would be much better for him to get top 4 minutes with Peoria than your option B.

Hitch the other day said Cole cannot play against top players which means he's not ready for a top 4 role. They gave him another chance...the staff deems he's not ready. That, more than anything else, is what necessitated the Redden signing.

The problem with Cole is that he says all the right things but seems to be having a difficult time taking that next step in his development. When he's in the A, the report are that he's steady but not a guy who's a stud like a Brendan Smith (same draft class).

I like Cole, I do, I'm just wondering if the powers that be in the organization are losing faith in his long-term, top-4 potential.

He'll be 24 in a month.
I'd love to see the quote where Hitch says that. He would not have paired him with Petro in the scrimmages if he felt that way.

MattyMo35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:42 PM
BlueBeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Why does everyone assume Cole is not in good standing, I would like to see some links or quotes that show any reason to believe this
Because he's the new whipping boy and logic need not apply in that scenario.

Edit: Remember when everyone went all emo about Pietrangelo before he finally stuck? "Reports" from fans going to camp were not real promising then either and we all know how that turned now. Note: I am not inferring that Cole is near Petro in skill or overall talent. Fans tend to blow **** way out of proportion all the time.

Last edited by BlueBeard: 01-18-2013 at 02:47 PM.
BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:45 PM
sh724

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Jackman will always be my whipping boy

sh724 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:45 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBeard View Post
Seriously, I've never seen so many fans throw a young promising player under the bus before he even has a shot to prove himself

Old
01-18-2013, 02:46 PM
Frenzy1

Quote:
This summer was supposed to be another "huge" off-season for Cole (Dan O'Neil wrote a nice article on the topic after the season re: Cole's development and a possible partner for Petro) and heading into training camp he should've had a leg up on the competition by competing in the AHL (which Hitch said was the biggest advantage during the lockout).

And yet here we are with the Blues signing a 35+ defenseman and Cole likely heading back to the AHL where, if the Blues still believe in him long-term, it would be much better for him to get top 4 minutes with Peoria than your option B.

Hitch the other day said Cole cannot play against top players which means he's not ready for a top 4 role. They gave him another chance...the staff deems he's not ready. That, more than anything else, is what necessitated the Redden signing.

The problem is sticking him against top line players, during his first full season (not even Pie did that) and what the other pairs wind up looking like. We all agree the Polak and Jackman is not a good pairing. Jackman can't handle the top line guys so he is not a good match for Pie. Which leaves Russel w/ Pie or Cole.

The problem with Cole is that he says all the right things but seems to be having a difficult time taking that next step in his development. When he's in the A, the report are that he's steady but not a guy who's a stud like a Brendan Smith (same draft class).

Only people saying Brendan Smith is going to be a stud are the Redwings fans. The non-bais Wings fans all say that he likely a 2nd pairing guy.

I like Cole, I do, I'm just wondering if the powers that be in the organization are losing faith in his long-term, top-4 potential.

He'll be 24 in a month.
I don't feel the organization has lost faith at all. Last year, if they had played him regularly, we would have had 2 2nd year Dmen, and 1 st. It is a numbers game, because you really need experience on the backend. Better to play top pairing minutes in the AHL then to be a #7 with spot play.

As for Redden. I don't think it means anything. I would much rather have him then Woywitka as a 7.

Redden was burried in the minors for one reason and that was contract. He wouldn't have set foot in the AHL if he was making 3 million per. (Lost a step, what player doesn't, but his hockey IQ will make him pretty effective).

Frenzy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:48 PM
BudForLife

Leafs fan here coming in peace.

I thought the change to the CBA that would allow Redden to be bought out was a great move. I've always felt bad about Wade being stuck in the minors. The guy was a really good player, but unfortunately his contract ran him out of the NHL.

Really hope he works out for your team. It would really be a great story.

Best of luck to the Blues for the upcoming season.

BudForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:49 PM
Randall Ritchey
HockeyBuzz Blues

I'm a fan on the signing. Always liked Redden and think he'll rebound nicely.

Randall Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:53 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirPaste View Post
Seriously, I've never seen so many fans throw a young promising player under the bus before he even has a shot to prove himself
we've reached a point where it gets disgusting, Torontoesque

I already can read some "he only plays with Petro coz Redden isn't available yet" posts

I'm not even defending him, not a big fan of him, but he has worked hard and earned a chance...not just from the management and coaching staff, also from us fans

Old
01-18-2013, 02:55 PM
Honeycutt

I will gladly eat crow if Cole performs, however i just dont see it. i am also not a hockey coach or Gm so what do i really know!

Honeycutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:56 PM
frostyflo
#peskyblues

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudForLife View Post
Leafs fan here coming in peace.

I thought the change to the CBA that would allow Redden to be bought out was a great move. I've always felt bad about Wade being stuck in the minors. The guy was a really good player, but unfortunately his contract ran him out of the NHL.

Really hope he works out for your team. It would really be a great story.

Best of luck to the Blues for the upcoming season.
i highly doubt it will work out that good but thanks for the kind words!

good luck for you guys, too!

Old
01-18-2013, 02:57 PM
moolah3i4
Long Live The Note.

Hes better then Colin White, imo!

moolah3i4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:00 PM
TheOrganist
Don't Call Him Alex

The quote I'm referencing regarding Hitch on Cole was from a recent morning skate blog. Oddly, I'm scouring STLtoday and can't find it. Kimzey referenced it too so it truly, really, undoubtedly was reported by JR.

TheOrganist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:06 PM
TerminatorBlue

So the rumors were true, well I think this is a good signing especially with the way our guys get injured, another veteran defenseman never hurts.

TerminatorBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:06 PM
SirPaste

Quote:
The quote I'm referencing regarding Hitch on Cole was from a recent morning skate blog. Oddly, I'm scouring STLtoday and can't find it. Kimzey referenced it too so it truly, really, undoubtedly was reported by JR.
Funny because I read every morning skate but never saw anything remotely close to that

Old
01-18-2013, 03:09 PM
BlueSinceBirth

I can't stand the Cole hate. He would get a game after sitting for a few weeks and would show some rust. He is a young dman that on most teams would already be taking a regular shift. Hitchcock said he is a cut above the AHL so obviously he doesn't dislike him.

BlueSinceBirth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Deko

Good signing by Armstrong. I'm convinced he can still play in the NHL successfully.

Deko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:23 PM
Alklha

Quote:
I don't doubt that you read it, but I would think the context would have been completely ripped out of the statement you read.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Hitchcock commented on the fact that it is far from ideal to be throwing a player with such little NHL experience in against the top lines. That is a lot to ask of a player and you are never sure if they are ready until they show it.

There is no way in the world I see him coming out before the season starts and saying he doesn't think one of his players is capable. That kind of management loses dressing rooms, whether the other players agree with the statement or not.

Alklha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:26 PM
BlueBeard

Enough about Cole and onto Redden. Armstrong made two similar signings in the past with Sydor and Huskins who played decent enough for the roles they were given but also provided good leadership off the ice for the youngsters. If Redden can do the same as those two, then this is a another solid acquisition. Plus Hitchcock sounded pretty adamant that it is going to take a lot of players to get through this shortened season so I am all for getting our hands onto as much depth as we can.

BlueBeard is offline   Reply With Quote