HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Isles Claim Brian Strait

Old
01-18-2013, 12:45 PM
Wanderson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpAck View Post
Here's a good way to get rid of Butch. We get Brad Stuart and Mark Stuart...and there's even a center for Calgary with the name Ben Street, get him too. Streit, Strait, Stuart, Stuart, Street...it'll drive Butch insane.
Do not forget about Nielsen, Nilsson and Nelson.

Wanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:48 PM
KrisBeKreame

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isle Junkie View Post
i have no problem with the waiver pickups. i hope finley doesn't get much time, because he looks way too slow to hack it in this league. but other than that, i think the other 3 are intriguing pickups. particularly hickey.

But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't growing tired of having a patchwork roster every year.
We knew that during the abbreviated offseason that Garth was gambling that the cap would come down and force loose a bunch of real quality players. Unfortunatly he will have to wait a year. But in the meantime we had to address the depth we lacked on the blueline. We were looking to bring up wishart, Landry and Donovon from bridgeport. That would have been just for the Islanders Roster. Bridgeport would have been utterly devoustated. He had to add depth, luckly Martinek was available, He picked up some waiver guys, Tried to get Visnovsky to do his Job. Now we have depth and did not have to bend over backwards overpaying crappy UFAs or Trading what little we had available for over priced defencemen. Look at the Market, So many teams are looking for defencemen. We upgraded and deepend our for free.

KrisBeKreame is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:49 PM
OlTimeHockey

This is Moneypuck where Garth has a math wiz from Islandia high come in and do numbers on each one. We're gonna trade Tavares and get someone with a high shooting percentage and no goals, who is afraid of contact.

And watch it work.....except the kid is from Islandia, not Harvard, so we'll still suck.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:53 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sidney the Kidney View Post
Perhaps Eaton before injuries and age caught up to him. Pens fans were hoping he'd become Scuderi II. So he's that type (perhaps not EXACTLY, but that type) of defenseman.

Let there be no mistake, Brian Strait will likely never be a star. He probably won't ever be a top four blueliner. But I believe he's got the ability to play solid minutes on a team's bottom pairing (or be the defensive conscience on a team's second pairing) for a long time.

If you're looking for offense, or if you're looking for the big hit, or the nasty crease clearer, you're out of luck. But if you simply want someone who is positionally strong, and can give you safe and steady performance in the defensive zone, Strait's your man.
I honestly like the pickup, but hate the glut now. We have a few smart defenders, a few offensive weapon defenders and a limited physical presence. Not bad.....now can we have a trade to bring in a prime time defenseman?

We have too many forwards, so maybe a 3 for 1 for a solid 2nd or first line winger?

The moves made make for a good Bridgeport team, which serves our prospects very well, ESPECIALLY since we're not gonna rush them up for looksie's as is Islander tradition and as some fans cry over. We finally seem patient.

And Aucoin might be the best pickup we've had in a long time if he leads Bridgeport like I think he can. (being serious)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:16 PM
Hipietro

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Our roster is easily the most pathetic NHL lineup I've ever seen. The fact that a GM has 6 years, 5 lottery finishes and this is what we are watching is absolutely, downright, SICK.

If I'm Tavares, I am going postal that this is the best this GM and owner can come up with. Where is the ****ing pride?

How many god damn waiver wire picks up can one team have? This is just so freaking comical at this point.

And so many of you are like "Next year is when the real test starts", so the next 48 games are just a write off?

The new rules in the CBA permit everyone to have an equal chance at the first overall, so sucking for first doesn't make any sense anymore.

If we win more than 2 games in the first two weeks, I'll react as if I won the lottery.
Are you a Caps fan again?

Hipietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:20 PM
Homeland Security
Mod Supervisor
#beLIeve

Defense. Defense. Defense. Kind of surprised.

01-18-2013, 01:23 PM
beach
Things are looking

Send a message via ICQ to beach
I saw Garth as I was disposing of boxes behind Waldbaums, and he asked if I play hockey. So I debut tomorrow night!!!!

beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:24 PM
Sidney the Kidney
All zee Germans!

vCash: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I honestly like the pickup, but hate the glut now. We have a few smart defenders, a few offensive weapon defenders and a limited physical presence. Not bad.....now can we have a trade to bring in a prime time defenseman?

We have too many forwards, so maybe a 3 for 1 for a solid 2nd or first line winger?

The moves made make for a good Bridgeport team, which serves our prospects very well, ESPECIALLY since we're not gonna rush them up for looksie's as is Islander tradition and as some fans cry over. We finally seem patient.

And Aucoin might be the best pickup we've had in a long time if he leads Bridgeport like I think he can. (being serious)
I think in this case, the "glut" as you call it, is a smart thing.

IMO, when looking at the Isles blueline, I see three guys who are solid (Streit, Macdonald, Hamonic), and then a pretty bad collection for the other 3 spots. Martinek's an injury risk and is also not getting any younger, so I'm really not sure how much injury and age has hurt him. Ideally, Carkner's a physical 7th defenseman who can slot in as a 6th, then you've got two AHLers in Landry and Wishart, plus kids like Donovan and Reinhart who could probably do with a bit more seasoning in junior/AHL. Visnovsky is a wildcard, but what exactly can you expect out of a guy who is fighting this hard not to show up? A defenseman version of Brian Rolston from last year?

By bringing in three youngsters who are on the cusp of playing in the NHL in Hickey, Finley and Strait, Snow has potentially solved an issue on the bottom pairing, upgrading on the likes of Wishart and Landry, and allowing Reinhart and Donovan more time to develop, without having to give anything up. Whichever of Hickey, Strait, or Finley looks best in camp gets the bottom pairing job, and AHLers Landry and Wishart can go away.

Obviously this doesn't address any of the other team needs. But just in terms of upgrading or improving the quality of players available for the bottom pairing, I think these pickups make a lot of sense.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:57 PM
13th Floor

Quote:
I think in this case, the "glut" as you call it, is a smart thing.

IMO, when looking at the Isles blueline, I see three guys who are solid (Streit, Macdonald, Hamonic), and then a pretty bad collection for the other 3 spots. Martinek's an injury risk and is also not getting any younger, so I'm really not sure how much injury and age has hurt him. Ideally, Carkner's a physical 7th defenseman who can slot in as a 6th, then you've got two AHLers in Landry and Wishart, plus kids like Donovan and Reinhart who could probably do with a bit more seasoning in junior/AHL. Visnovsky is a wildcard, but what exactly can you expect out of a guy who is fighting this hard not to show up? A defenseman version of Brian Rolston from last year?

By bringing in three youngsters who are on the cusp of playing in the NHL in Hickey, Finley and Strait, Snow has potentially solved an issue on the bottom pairing, upgrading on the likes of Wishart and Landry, and allowing Reinhart and Donovan more time to develop, without having to give anything up. Whichever of Hickey, Strait, or Finley looks best in camp gets the bottom pairing job, and AHLers Landry and Wishart can go away.

Obviously this doesn't address any of the other team needs. But just in terms of upgrading or improving the quality of players available for the bottom pairing, I think these pickups make a lot of sense.
I agree with this with one addition. I think the most important part is keeping people like Donovan, Ness, and Reinhart away from the NHL. And with a shortened season, there WILL be injuries. More people between those 3 and the NHL the better.

13th Floor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:02 PM
CDirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
I agree with this with one addition. I think the most important part is keeping people like Donovan, Ness, and Reinhart away from the NHL. And with a shortened season, there WILL be injuries. More people between those 3 and the NHL the better.
And hopefully keeping Visnovski away from the team as well. THe logical thing to do at this point is to trade this guy the minute he gets off the plane. Doesn't sound like the guys in the room are looking forward to him coming here and the fans have had enough as well.

These waiver wire pick ups can't be sent down to Bport w/o being exposed to waivers again. Looks to me like the team is preparing for the season w/o Visnovski.

CDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:03 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13th Floor View Post
Don't forget the probable addition of Seth Jones when the season is over.

The odds are stacked against the Isles considering they are in the brutal Atlantic Division. I'm optimistic this team will at least improve, but they're between a rock and a hard place before the opening puck has been dropped.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:05 PM
IslesBeBack*
NHL Free Agent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipietro View Post
Are you a Caps fan again?
If they sign Gomez, I'll do one better and just become a Rangers fan.

/lolnotttttttt

IslesBeBack* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:11 PM
Dutch Frost
Everything is Fine!!

vCash: 1130
There is this small time Wrestling federation that has monthly card fights in a Kiwanis club hall in Ridgewood. Every now and then a former big namer shows up wrestling for pee nuts and gets a huge chunk of the ticket sales. The rest are jobbers getting paid scraps to fight for 10 minutes. It just dawned on me that The New York Islanders are the equivalent of that wrestling federation!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:37 PM
mitchy22

It appears we had plenty of room to get these guys on our 50 man roster. No reason not to take a look, and at such a late date, it's literally just a game of numbers with the hope that one or two pan out (or get back through waivers at a later date.)

I think it's pretty obvious that we're not going to overspend to get another real top-4 guy at this point in time. While I would gladly blame the owner and franchise for the past couple of years of that behavior, I'm having a hard time faulting them as harshly in the current scenario. (Though we could probably argue that it's their past behavior which helped put us in the current scenario to some degree.)

Like it or not, this team is primed to truly compete in a year or two. That includes spending. By that time, our quality depth at Bridgeport will be exceptional. Just enough talent will have trickled up to the NHL squad. It'll be close enough to Brooklyn to see real spending increase. Teams may actually be strapped for cap space at that time. I couldn't tell you whether it'll be next off-season or the one after that, but the penny-pinching days are nearing their end. However, that's not going to help the upcoming season.

It's pretty obvious that we have a GM who is operating under a very strict payroll. We're literally throwing every waiver wire pickup at the squad to see what will stick. I bet we're also hoping that we'll be able to sneak at least one through to Bridgeport a few weeks into the season.

At this stage, I don't blame the organization. As a continuance of past behavior, we certainly can blame them. With that said, it is what it is. All you can do is withhold money and other support while they're doing the same. Personally, I'm too much of a fanatic not to go to some games to see JT and the few bright spots. With that said, I can't even tell you the last time I paid full price for a ticket; I think it's been a good nine or ten years.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:48 PM
Zen Arcade
eat the record cover

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott99 View Post
I am a Hockey fanatic, and consider myself somewhat of a Hockey expert (compared to most fans), but I can honestly say, I've never heard of Brian Strait, ever. And I even went to a WB game against Bridgeport up in WB last year, and can't remember anything about him or hearing his name.
Strait's the type of player that if you notice him, he's doing something wrong.

He's a very steady defensive defenseman with decent wheels. He's also very good on the PK as far as shot blocking and taking away passing lanes.

The fact that the fans of a team who lost the guy for nothing within the division are talking him up instead of ragging on him and calling him useless should tell you a lot.

Zen Arcade is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:04 PM
PWJunior
Beware the POOP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen Arcade View Post
Strait's the type of player that if you notice him, he's doing something wrong.

He's a very steady defensive defenseman with decent wheels. He's also very good on the PK as far as shot blocking and taking away passing lanes.

The fact that the fans of a team who lost the guy for nothing within the division are talking him up instead of ragging on him and calling him useless should tell you a lot.
It is a good sign and your input is definitely appreciated. I hope Strait makes the most of this opportunity, he wasn't going to get it with the Pens.

Also, nice to see you again Mitch, we were about to file a missing report on you.

PWJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:14 PM
Satan'sIsland81

This guy is an AHL career minor league scrub...nothing more...in other words, the typical Islanders player

Satan'sIsland81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:24 PM
CodeE

We now have Streit-Strait, Nielsen-Nelson-Nilsson, and MacDonald-McDonald who all may be on the main roster at the same time sometime this year.

I'm thinking Garth saw him on waivers and had to have said "let me get this Strait".

CodeE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:08 PM
redbull
BeLIeve in miracles!

Quote:
Strait's NHL-ready. He's ready to handle bottom pairing minutes now, so I'd be surprised if he's not on the Isles opening day roster.

I think folks are going to be pleasantly surprised with him. He's not going to wow you at all. He's just safe and solid in his own zone. I know it's just AHL, but he and Bortuzzo have been the Baby Pens shutdown duo for the past couple of seasons. He's good at that aspect of hockey.
Strait's an NHLer, there's no doubt about it.
Many of us respect your opinions STK, this is good to hear.

If Strait can be along the lines of Hillen, Eaton, Reese - or maybe better, then why are we complaining. I always liked Dennis Vaske for example, one of those unheralded players who did his job, was tough to play against and could eat up minutes and not scare you to death (like most Isles defenders before we started with the Martinek addition this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchy22 View Post

It's pretty obvious that we have a GM who is operating under a very strict payroll. We're literally throwing every waiver wire pickup at the squad to see what will stick. I bet we're also hoping that we'll be able to sneak at least one through to Bridgeport a few weeks into the season.
THIS.

Again, I don't expect any of these waiver claims to play more than a handful of games. They are depth for Bridgeport. But, if they make the NHL and play solid minutes, I'm more than happy. It's not like these guys are expected to be impact players.

redbull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
Looks like Garth is trying to push Butchie out so DiPi can take his spot in the booth after this year.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:25 PM
mitchy22

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWJunior View Post
It is a good sign and your input is definitely appreciated. I hope Strait makes the most of this opportunity, he wasn't going to get it with the Pens.

Also, nice to see you again Mitch, we were about to file a missing report on you.
I second the reports from the Pens fans being fully appreciated.

As far as me being AWOL, I've actually gotten a lot of stuff done during the lockout. Thankfully, my productivity will soon return to pre-lockout levels. I did manage to get a few walls of text in on the Business of Hockey board though.

Glad my absence was noticed, and I'm happy I was able to get back in time before the police got involved.

Mitch

mitchy22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:03 PM
bstash19

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslesBeBack View Post
Our roster is easily the most pathetic NHL lineup I've ever seen. The fact that a GM has 6 years, 5 lottery finishes and this is what we are watching is absolutely, downright, SICK.

If I'm Tavares, I am going postal that this is the best this GM and owner can come up with. Where is the ****ing pride?

How many god damn waiver wire picks up can one team have? This is just so freaking comical at this point.

And so many of you are like "Next year is when the real test starts", so the next 48 games are just a write off?

The new rules in the CBA permit everyone to have an equal chance at the first overall, so sucking for first doesn't make any sense anymore.

If we win more than 2 games in the first two weeks, I'll react as if I won the lottery.

incorrect.
the teams that dont make the playoffs are put into a WEIGHTED draft lotto.

bstash19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:09 PM
OpAck

Quote:
Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
Looks like Garth is trying to push Butchie out so DiPi can take his spot in the booth after this year.
Butchie was relieved when they got rid of Al Toyota-Montero. Garth is trying to keep him on his toes. :-)

OpAck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:13 PM
BennyBST

Quote:
Originally Posted by Satan'sIsland81 View Post
This guy is an AHL career minor league scrub...nothing more...in other words, the typical Islanders player
It's all about opportunity my friend. Moulson, Grabner, Parenteau....And on the grand scale Martin St. Louis. They all needed an opportunity to prove themselves elsewhere. For every Moulson there is a Rob Schremp. Sometimes waiver pickups work, I'd like to think either Strait or Hickey will help us for a years down the line while we're patient developing our home grown guys.

BennyBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:17 PM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

The kid is from Bawsten and played at BU...

Should have seen this coming.

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote