Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Starting Lineup

Old
01-16-2013, 08:16 PM
quebec_nordiques

vCash: 500
Starting Lineup

Hey guys im wondering what was gonna be the starting lineup of your team looks like at the season opener?

quebec_nordiques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-16-2013, 08:29 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

vCash: 27750
It's too early to say. Benn is unsigned, a few guys are hurt, others are still battling for spots.

piqued is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:57 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Apparently this is what it's going to be:

Eriksson-Roy-Jagr
Whitney-Wandell-Ryder
Morrow- Fiddler-Nystrom
Garbutt-Eakin-Smith

Goligoski-Robidas
Benn-Daley
Dillon-Larsen

Lehtonen
Nilstorp

Old
01-18-2013, 02:09 PM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Hello 8th overall pick!

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:31 PM
BigG44

vCash: 475
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozen Failure View Post
Hello 8th overall pick!
At worst 12th - 14th.

Benn will miss some games, but the forward depth and quality is a major improvement. The goalie position is stronger and deeper with the addition of Nilstorp.

The D isn't anything to write home about, but they improved over last year IMO, and they almost made the playoffs with that D and much weaker forward group. Dillon will prove to be a significant improvement over Souray IMO. Benn and Fistric are essentially a wash, but you did get more mobility and puck skills with Benn which is important for GMJN. I'm not thrilled Benn is in the Top 6 or Rome should he prove to play more, but I'd take this team over last years with little hesitation.

BigG44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:59 PM
txomisc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigG44 View Post
At worst 12th - 14th.

Benn will miss some games, but the forward depth and quality is a major improvement. The goalie position is stronger and deeper with the addition of Nilstorp.

The D isn't anything to write home about, but they improved over last year IMO, and they almost made the playoffs with that D and much weaker forward group. Dillon will prove to be a significant improvement over Souray IMO. Benn and Fistric are essentially a wash, but you did get more mobility and puck skills with Benn which is important for GMJN. I'm not thrilled Benn is in the Top 6 or Rome should he prove to play more, but I'd take this team over last years with little hesitation.
I am not sure the d has improved. Robidas may actually be worse, Dillon may have not have a seamless transition, and obviously Jordie Benn and Aaron Rome are nothing to write home about. This defensive group has the potential to be off the charts bad in front of the net.

txomisc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:19 PM
ginblossoms

Send a message via ICQ to ginblossoms
Quote:
Originally Posted by txomisc View Post
I am not sure the d has improved. Robidas may actually be worse, Dillon may have not have a seamless transition, and obviously Jordie Benn and Aaron Rome are nothing to write home about. This defensive group has the potential to be off the charts bad in front of the net.
this is what i'd expect...

an improved goligoski -> + (upside that hasn't been tapped yet imo)
a much-improved larsen -> +++ (solid minutes/play in finland)
the same daley -> wash
the same robidas (honestly can't think he could play worse) -> wash
dillon for fistric -> + (better positionally and with the puck)
benn for souray -> - (benn may be more mobile but can't match souray's net presence)
rome for pardy -> wash

add some negatives this season from the inexperience of benn/dillon and i say this year's group is about as good as last year. however, there is a decided lack of collective physicality that concerns me.

ginblossoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:35 PM
Cin
Eurosnob.

vCash: 558
Dillon-Larsen as the #3 pair is lame. They'll out produce the hell out of Daley-Benn.

Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

The defense may or may not be better than last year but how Dallas deals with the condensed schedule, especially Lehtonen is where this team will hinge. I don't expect miracles but I also don't foresee a bottom 5 finish.

The offense should be good to really good at times and the power play by definition has to improve right? Still I think this is a bubble team and will come down to injuries, Benn's absence, travel and little recovery time between games, that will dictate where they eventually end up in the standings.

12-15th overall pick.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Apparently this is what it's going to be:

Eriksson-Roy-Jagr
Whitney-Wandell-Ryder
Morrow- Fiddler-Nystrom
Garbutt-Eakin-Smith

Goligoski-Robidas
Benn-Daley
Dillon-Larsen

Lehtonen
Nilstorp
I like keeping Eakin and Smith together, I hate Wandell centering the 2nd line.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:04 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

As things stand right now it's a weak lineup. I count at least 7 guys playing in spots that outpace their ability.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:10 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
As things stand right now it's a weak lineup. I count at least 7 guys playing in spots that outpace their ability.
How would you feel if it was:

Erikkson-Benn-Jagr
Whitney-Roy-Ryder
Morrow-Eakin-Smith
Garbutt-Fiddler-Nystrom
Sceviour/Wandell

Because besides adding Benn, really the only difference is the coaching using the 3rd and 4th line interchangeably.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:25 PM
WhoahNow

Could you play Eakin and Smith on the second line while we wait for Benn to resign? They've both been playing all year and are in mid-season form.

Eriksson-Roy-Jagr
Whitney-Eakin-Smith
Morrow-Fiddler-Nystrom
Garbutt-Wandel-Ryder

Ryder kind of gets the shaft, but I put him on the fourth line just to keep that 3rd line together. Keep in mind this would only be for a few games to start out the season.

WhoahNow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Primetimey

vCash: 83
If they did something like that, Ryder and Nystrom would swap.

Primetimey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:30 PM
The Frugal Gourmet

Man, I say there's no way you put a guy who's been hot in the AHL over the NHL's 11th best goal scorer. I don't care if he has chemistry with Eakin or not.

If he looks great, fantastic. You consider moving him up.

And Fiddler/Nystrom/Morrow, I predict, will be fine for now. Realize that Fiddler/Nystrom -- other than Benn -- faced the highest average quality of opponent last season and Fiddler logged the most penalty kill time. Their stats weren't great, but they weren't great against absolute quality players. You don't throw the kids to the wolves quite yet. They'll have a chance to show their stuff. It's only a starting lineup.

Morrow? Who knows. It's a make or break year for him. He could be done but I could also see him come back a little with a nice long offseason.

And I think the forward depth -- with Benn -- will be just fine for now. Maybe a little soft, but it can be addressed. That's why you give a little leeway to potential has-beens like Morrow. If he's got something left... well... it might be useful. We need some bodies front of that net w/ this lineup.

Last edited by The Frugal Gourmet: 01-18-2013 at 04:45 PM.
The Frugal Gourmet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:47 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetalGodAOD View Post
How would you feel if it was:

Erikkson-Benn-Jagr
Whitney-Roy-Ryder
Morrow-Eakin-Smith
Garbutt-Fiddler-Nystrom
Sceviour/Wandell

Because besides adding Benn, really the only difference is the coaching using the 3rd and 4th line interchangeably.
I'd feel a little better, sure. The elephant in the room remains that collection of players masquerading as a defense.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:54 PM
Elysian
@AdamBath

vCash: 5355
Quote:
I'd feel a little better, sure. The elephant in the room remains that collection of players masquerading as a defense.
Goligoski/Robidas is the only one I really don't like, the rest are good. I think Benn and Dillon have done quite well in the AHL.

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:02 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Daley and Larsen are the only players I have confidence in.

I wanted to see more out of Dillon this year in CP. He didn't play poorly enough to jeopardize his chance at an NHL spot, but he also didn't remove all doubt that had outgrown that level. He could very well step up and claim a regular spot in the lineup and bring a new dimension to the team or fall on his face and look like a rookie. Either is possible.

Benn on the other hand I soured on after watching him this season. I originally thought he could handle the #7 role but now I think even that would be too much for him. And now he's been thrust into the lineup with Rome hurt and Fistric traded. It's very possible that we get Woywitka/Pardy level of play out of him.

Robidas should've been traded long ago, that doesn't need to be re-hashed. Goligoski I think is a liability and will be over-exposed as usual.

Not a whole lot that can be done though. Transition year.

Old
01-18-2013, 05:27 PM
Shady12
12-13 FGotG Champion

Quote:

I wanted to see more out of Dillon this year in CP. He didn't play poorly enough to jeopardize his chance at an NHL spot, but he also didn't remove all doubt that had outgrown that level. He could very well step up and claim a regular spot in the lineup and bring a new dimension to the team or fall on his face and look like a rookie. Either is possible.

Benn on the other hand I soured on after watching him this season. I originally thought he could handle the #7 role but now I think even that would be too much for him. And now he's been thrust into the lineup with Rome hurt and Fistric traded. It's very possible that we get Woywitka/Pardy level of play out of him.

Robidas should've been traded long ago, that doesn't need to be re-hashed. Goligoski I think is a liability and will be over-exposed as usual.

Agree, except on your comments about Dillon and Benn just because I haven't seen them(except one game on FSSW). I'm not big on Goligoski. To me he should be on a third pairing based on his defense..even though he can rack up points. But the Stars can't do that. Robidas..ugh.

Shady12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:40 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:

Benn or Rome?

FrailSwan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:47 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Benn.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:07 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
It's very possible that we get Woywitka/Pardy level of play out of him.

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:55 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Remember when Woywitka made that fluke goal from our own blue line?

Old
01-18-2013, 07:05 PM
piqued
Global Moderator
go

Wha? He scored from inside the opponent's blue line in Anaheim if that's the one you're talking about.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:21 PM
FrailSwan
A-B-We Stole Your C

Quote:
Wha? He scored from inside the opponent's blue line in Anaheim if that's the one you're talking about.
Nah, there was one all the way from our side. I wanna say it was against SJ, but I can't remember.