HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Toronto Maple Leafs
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Luongo Trade Discussions Thread II - All ‎

Old
01-18-2013, 03:32 PM
Dwight K Schrute

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by M A K A V E L I View Post
Booth isn't exactly a scoring machine and Kesler is skating and probably close to returning soon. Anyways, the Canucks can win the NW with a 1 line team because of solid goaltending + defense.
Kesler is not close at all. Last time I checked you skate with your legs. He had half his upper body rebuilt. Vancouver is in trouble this season.

Dwight K Schrute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:36 PM
SteveV*

Luongo has played nice so far because he thought a trade was coming. If it looks like he's stuck on the bench, can see him demanding Gillis move. The other scenario is Luongo shines and complicates this further. Gillis is upset because nobody is willing to give him anywhere near what he wants. I see this scenario becoming untenable for the Canucks, this isn't like last year, they played their hands already, Luongo is no longer part of the future, you can't just go back to " we have two great goalies, how lucky are we". Doesn't work like that. Tick tock..........

SteveV* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:40 PM
philer Bozel
Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stix and Stones View Post
I'm surprised how many people think Lungo and his contract have value. Luongo does, his contract more than negates it. Similar to how we took Lombardi's contract, Nashville gave us Franson. So it was worth Franson for Nashville to save on what they owed Lombardi. Is Gardiner worth a 2nd? Now what if I tell you Gardiner is making 12 million a year for the next 8 years. All of a sudden Gardiner is worth ZIP. to another team. It's like yeah and what else are you going to do for us to take that contract.
This. You can't put it much better then this. Perfect example IMO.

But anyway. Have fun with that contract Gilles can't wait till either. 1. Luongo demands a trade. 2. They lose a quality player.

Last edited by philer Bozel: 01-18-2013 at 03:47 PM.
philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:43 PM
trellaine201

@strombone1: Can't wait!!! “@NHL: #Canucks fans, are you ready to see Cory Schneider as No. 1 in net? #hockeyisback”

LoL

trellaine201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACC1224 View Post
Ship has sailed on the Leaf interest, nothing more to discuss from the Leaf POV.
Yeah, if it was going to happen it would have by now.

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Confucius

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
@strombone1: Can't wait!!! “@nhl: #canucks fans, are you ready to see cory schneider as no. 1 in net? #hockeyisback”

lol
lmao

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:49 PM
The Naz
With God given hands

Gillis is asking for 2 2nd line players. That's if you consider Bozak's talents as 2nd line caliber. It's not really a high price and I don't blame him for asking that, but unfortunately it hurts us. We need both players. If it was for Mac and Frattin or Colborne, I think the deal would be done.

The contract doesn't help, but it's not that bad. It will be a smaller hit if he is bought out at ~ age 39-40. Considering how much money we've wasted in cap space over the span of the last CBA, it's not too bad.

The Naz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:51 PM
sangreale

They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast.

sangreale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Volcanologist
Spark up a Dubas

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
They stab it with their steely knives, but they just can't kill the beast.
Hotel Vancouver...?

Volcanologist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:58 PM
Parkdale

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Naz View Post

The contract doesn't help, but it's not that bad. It will be a smaller hit if he is bought out at ~ age 39-40. Considering how much money we've wasted in cap space over the span of the last CBA, it's not too bad.
The contract is awful, but hopefully Gillis feels the way you do and keeps Luongo for himself. If anyone deserves that contract, it would be Gillis and Vancouver.

Parkdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:59 PM
huge*

Send a message via MSN to huge* Send a message via Skype™ to huge*
Quote:
Gillis is asking for 2 2nd line players. That's if you consider Bozak's talents as 2nd line caliber. It's not really a high price and I don't blame him for asking that, but unfortunately it hurts us. We need both players. If it was for Mac and Frattin or Colborne, I think the deal would be done.

Could 2 2nd line players be bozak and MacArthur?

huge* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:00 PM
Confucius

Quote:

If Luongo was a UFA this summer I'd think some team would offer him 40 million over 5 years, no more. The team would have got Luongo for that deal at no other asset costs. Why would we pay 53 million plus give players, What am I missing here?

Confucius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:04 PM
philer Bozel
Coming Soon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
If Schneider gets hurt or struggles then Gillis is going to be getting the last laugh by having the best solution to address that right under his own nose and under contract, and keep his team in the Stanley Cup race.

Roberto did win 31 games for his team last season, while Reimer and Scrivens won 18 combined. Its Vancouver that is holding the best hand here having the player after all.
And if Schneider doesn't go down and no one goes for that horrible contract?

philer Bozel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:06 PM
rdawg1234

Quote:
Originally Posted by philer Bozel View Post
And if Schneider doesn't go down and no one goes for that horrible contract?
then you have an asset of dwindling value.

Luongo needs to be gone by this summer, cant see teams being nearly as interested when he hits say 35.

rdawg1234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:09 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bomber0104 View Post
After the great season Luongo just turned in, Gillis knows he doesn't have to do anything.

This is why he is asking for so much.

He can ask for less when Luongo actually shows some signs of statistically declining.
Gillis doesnt have many options left. I believe next year is the last year for the buy outs that won't effect the cap. Gillis can either try to trade him now, or wait till the summer, and if he is still a Nuck after they buyout period passed, good luck in getting any value whatsoever as Lou gets older. Cannucks fans were chirping how great a contract it is, why not keep it and enjoy.

New Liskeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:10 PM
Deebo

Quote:
Originally Posted by New Liskeard View Post
Gillis doesnt have many options left. I believe next year is the last year for the buy outs that won't effect the cap. Gillis can either try to trade him now, or wait till the summer, and if he is still a Nuck after they buyout period passed, good luck in getting any value whatsoever as Lou gets older. Cannucks fans were chirping how great a contract it is, why not keep it and enjoy.
The compliance buyouts can happen in the summer of 2013 or 2014.

Deebo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:13 PM
New Liskeard

[QUOTE=Mess;57796493]If Schneider gets hurt or struggles then Gillis is going to be getting the last laugh by having the best solution to address that right under his own nose and under contract, and keep his team in the Stanley Cup race.

Roberto did win 31 games for his team last season, while Reimer and Scrivens won 18 combined. Its Vancouver that is holding the best hand here having the player after all.[/QUOTE]

I guess if you have a 33 year old goalie, who controls where he goes (NTC, and has 10 years left at a total of 60 million, with the cap going down, and players to sign, and having 4 million sitting on the bench at any given time, is holding all the cards, well then good for Gillis. Maybe Lou retires early, and the Nucks can take on some dead cap space for a while? Sounds even more palatible.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:13 PM
New Liskeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deebo View Post
The compliance buyouts can happen in the summer of 2013 or 2014.
I though it was at the begining of this season, and then prior to next? My error.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volcanologist View Post
Hotel Vancouver...?
And I was thinking to myself ... "this could be heaven or ..."

Old
01-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogelhund View Post
There is a lot that go wrong for Vancouver here.

If Schneider performs well, as hoped, and Luongo becomes a real backup, how long do you think he remains the good team player for? He already wants out. How long does his patience last? How is the team going to react if Schneider doesn't perform well? The guy is going to be constantly looking over his back. The media are always going to be asking about the situation.. this could go sideways in a hurry on them.

What happens if Markstrom plays well this year, and continues to become the player Florida wants? What happens if one of Reimer, Scrivens, or Rynnas plays well this year, and Toronto doesn't end up needing to make a trade, or trades for Bernier?

While there are some very good reasons for Vancouver to keep this tandem this season, they really NEED to get rid of one of these goalies by the start of the 2013/14 season. They have $8.9 million in cap space, to sign 11 players. There is going to come a point, where one of these two goalies is going to have to go. Vancouver has some time, but the closer it comes the start of next season, the lower their potential return gets... barring a career ending injury somewhere. If they still hold both of these goalies, come August 2013, they might almost have to give away one of them.
"There is no such thing as too much of a good thing".

Vancouver are in an enviable position of having 2 quality proven starting number #1 goalies, while our Leafs don't have any at present.

Time will tell if either Leafs goalies can develop into a #1 over time.

While Toronto might be the only need at the moment, the landscape is constantly changing in the NHL World where a year from now Marty Brodeur might retire, Jimmy Howard leaves Detroit as a UFA, Chicago or SJ want a proven starter based on what happens this year. etc etc .
"Patience is a virtue" as they say in the business.

01-18-2013, 04:16 PM
Pi

I'm sorry Mike Gillis but nobody can take you seriously after you said that the Luongo contract is GREAT!

If it was great, we'd be talking about the mask Luongo would be wearing against the Habs tomorrow. That contract is terrible.

Pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:21 PM
sangreale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mess View Post
"There is no such thing as too much of a good thing".

Vancouver are in an enviable position of having 2 quality proven starting number #1 goalies, while our Leafs don't have any at present.

Time will tell if either Leafs goalies can develop into a #1 over time.

While Toronto might be the only need at the moment, the landscape is constantly changing in the NHL World where a year from now Marty Brodeur might retire, Jimmy Howard leaves Detroit as a UFA, Chicago or SJ want a proven starter based on what happens this year. etc etc .
"Patience is a virtue" as they say in the business.
The thing is Mess that "time" has changed quite a bit already. The new CBA seems at first glance to be quite punitive towards those long contracts. But I agree. We shall see and patience is a virtue. I am hoping it is one Nonis possesses.

Old
01-18-2013, 04:27 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveV View Post
Luongo has played nice so far because he thought a trade was coming. If it looks like he's stuck on the bench, can see him demanding Gillis move. The other scenario is Luongo shines and complicates this further. Gillis is upset because nobody is willing to give him anywhere near what he wants. I see this scenario becoming untenable for the Canucks, this isn't like last year, they played their hands already, Luongo is no longer part of the future, you can't just go back to " we have two great goalies, how lucky are we". Doesn't work like that. Tick tock..........
Yeah Luongo has been played mr.nice guy for a while now, he's been extremely professional, eventually Van has to do the right thing and honour Lu's request of being a starting goalie and trade him. It's only fair.

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:28 PM
Stats01

Quote:
Originally Posted by trellaine201 View Post
@strombone1: Can't wait!!! “@NHL: #Canucks fans, are you ready to see Cory Schneider as No. 1 in net? #hockeyisback”

LoL
LMFAO!!! Ohh man that's good

Stats01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:36 PM
Mess
Global Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangreale View Post
The thing is Mess that "time" has changed quite a bit already. The new CBA seems at first glance to be quite punitive towards those long contracts. But I agree. We shall see and patience is a virtue. I am hoping it is one Nonis possesses.
Agreed, particularly with the current asking price being Bozak, Kadri and 2nd round pick.

After dealing Lombardi, demoting Connolly and losing Aucoin on waivers all 3 being centers the Leafs are now in no position to be dealing away 1 center never mind 2 of the them..

Considering its already one of the teams greatest weaknesses to start, with lacking any strength down the middle it looks like there isn't a fit trade wise here and only a need in Toronto at present. Filling one hole at the expense of creating others really doesn't serve the Leafs best interests if the goal is immediate success by obtaining Lou, even if Leafs were willing to pay the asking price.

But the bottom line is that Leafs need Luongo more at present then Vancouver needs to deal him. So a stalemate exists on numerous levels, and Vancouver doesn't feel compelled to make a deal just for the same of addressing too much talent in the crease.

Mess is offline   Reply With Quote