HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New Jersey Devils
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Ilya Kovalchuk In Russia For Lockout: Coming (back) To America!

Old
01-18-2013, 07:10 AM
StvBroDan
Let Go Devils

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VaxjoDevil View Post
Partly, I think it's a cultural thing. Americans are taught to say the things making people feel good and all, Russians don't really play that game. I mean in general, without wanting to generalize.
This^^^^ When was the last time you saw Kovy fired up. After a hard game win interview on the ice. Locker room interview its just answering questions no big expression or excitement. NO BIG DEAL

I work with a Russian women who's answers are very short and to the point. Nicest person in the world, but you never expect her to act excited.

StvBroDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:14 AM
apice3*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Win View Post
That roller hockey league has a lower goals/game average than the NHL does....
It also has a lower talent level.

apice3* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:44 PM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by apice3 View Post
It also has a lower talent level.
Why does an elite talent like Kovalchuk score at a similar pace in the NHL and the KHL? Shouldn't he score at a much higher pace in such a low talent roller hockey league? See, i am not even arguing the KHL is close to the NHL but you are making the 2nd best league in the world sound like total trash. And i doubt you have even watched a single full game.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 12:47 PM
apice3*

Quote:
Why does an elite talent like Kovalchuk score at a similar pace in the NHL and the KHL? Shouldn't he score at a much higher pace in such a low talent roller hockey league? See, i am not even arguing the KHL is close to the NHL but you are making the 2nd best league in the world sound like total trash. And i doubt you have even watched a single full game.
It's trash in comparison to the NHL.

His scoring pace is similar because he doesn't have elite teammates to play with.

I watched a few KHL games at the beginning of the lockout. I couldn't watch it. It's the second best league, no doubt about it, but it's still an inferior product.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:48 PM
Getzo5
The Punisher

Quote:
In before the usual "because he doesn`t care as much, why should he anyway? it`s playing against a lesser competition after all" argument.

EDIT: oh yeah, that`s a possibility too.

Getzo5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 01:04 PM
Just Win
Free Larsson

vCash: 50
Quote:
His scoring pace is similar because he doesn't have elite teammates to play with.
In that case Kovalchuk should score more goals because it's a roller hockey league with no defense but less assists because of the lesser talented teammates. But both his KHL goal/game average and his assists/game average are similar to his NHL numbers.

Just Win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:47 PM
apice3*

Quote:
In that case Kovalchuk should score more goals because it's a roller hockey league with no defense but less assists because of the lesser talented teammates. But both his KHL goal/game average and his assists/game average are similar to his NHL numbers.
I still have no idea where you're going with this.

The KHL is nowhere close to the level the NHL is at, especially defensively and Kovy was one of the three best players there along with Malkin and Ovi. WHat are you trying to argue here?

Old
01-18-2013, 03:49 PM
tycobb

I are you guys really talking about why his stats weren't amazing when you are looking at a 30 game sample size?

tycobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:10 PM
filatov178
Rookie User

Quote:
In Russia a lot of great players. Almost like Kovalchuk. There's also a lot of young talent. And they do not really want to go to the NHL.

filatov178 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 04:14 PM
filatov178
Rookie User

Quote:
I still have no idea where you're going with this.

The KHL is nowhere close to the level the NHL is at, especially defensively and Kovy was one of the three best players there along with Malkin and Ovi. WHat are you trying to argue here?
So Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk in the NHL is the best players.

Old
01-18-2013, 07:51 PM
Saugus
Ecrasez l'infame!

Send a message via AIM to Saugus
Quote:
Originally Posted by filatov178 View Post
So Malkin, Ovechkin and Kovalchuk in the NHL is the best players.
This is partially because they are the best players. Russian players self-select so that only the best of the best are represented in North America. You rarely see grinder type players coming to the NHL, they generally stay in Russia. Brylin was a notable exception to this.

Saugus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-19-2013, 01:47 AM
filatov178
Rookie User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saugus View Post
This is partially because they are the best players. Russian players self-select so that only the best of the best are represented in North America. You rarely see grinder type players coming to the NHL, they generally stay in Russia. Brylin was a notable exception to this.
Yes. I rarely watch NHL games. But during the lockout came to us not only these three players. The other players of the NHL did not play the best players from the KHL. So the level of play, I think, a little different. Super stars in hockey is not much. Pavel Datsyuk fourth superstar.

Last edited by filatov178: 01-19-2013 at 02:00 AM.
Old
01-19-2013, 03:19 AM
holikwillfindyou

Quote:
Originally Posted by filatov178 View Post
Yes. I rarely watch NHL games. But during the lockout came to us not only these three players. The other players of the NHL did not play the best players from the KHL. So the level of play, I think, a little different. Super stars in hockey is not much. Pavel Datsyuk fourth superstar.
as a russian that has grown up in America i understand where you're coming from. the NHL is the most elite league in the world, and its a ****ing grudge match every game. as much as i would love the KHL to succeed and prosper...it wont without the kovys and ovechkins of the nhl. until then the khl will hurt. and hurt bad.

holikwillfindyou is offline   Reply With Quote