HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Chicago Blackhawks
Notices

Blackhawks - Season Starting Roster

Old
01-18-2013, 10:40 AM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

vCash: 500
Carcillo looked good at times but lets not forget he played some dumb hockey last year. He was suspended for a short stint in the middle of the season, he was also a healthy scratch.

The game he went out in seemed like a real turning point for the Hawks.

HawksFan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Cullksinikers

Carcillo is a good bottom-six player if he is under control and plays with edge, not dirtiness. Due to our lack of depth, he was thrown into the top-six and did a respectable job.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:58 AM
Blue Liner

He's good enough to throw in the top six when needed within a game or temporarily but he really shouldn't be there on a permanent basis. That's not ideal.

Blue Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:01 AM
ChiGuySez
Showtime

First game tomorrow at the Kings. This looks like the final roster...

http://blackhawks.nhl.com/club/roste...cation=/roster

ChiGuySez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:24 AM
Cullksinikers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Liner View Post
He's good enough to throw in the top six when needed within a game or temporarily but he really shouldn't be there on a permanent basis. That's not ideal.
Precisely.

Cullksinikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 02:07 PM
BronYrAur

Quote:
I think a lot of players are good enough to throw into the top-6 when you have four FW's like Toews/Kane/Sharp/Hossa. The idea that every team has 6 forwards who can put up 50+ points is a myth. Hawks won the Cup with Brouwer as 1st liner for most of the year. Kopecky played in top-6 occasionally.

In general it is just a poor idea to try to stack your top-2 lines with talent at the expense of your bottom-6.

BronYrAur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:01 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksFan74 View Post
Carcillo looked good at times but lets not forget he played some dumb hockey last year. He was suspended for a short stint in the middle of the season, he was also a healthy scratch.

The game he went out in seemed like a real turning point for the Hawks.
He had one really dumb play last year - the hit on Gilbert. Other than that, he seemed to play within himself and drew more penalties than he took. I still remember a game against St.Louis last year when Chicago was down, St.Louis was gooning it up - per usual - and Carcillo was moved up the line-up with Toews and Kane, more-or-less helping stick up for them and Chicago came back to win the game in dominant fashion.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:07 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
Personally I thought the Pitkanen hit was worse

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:18 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
He had one really dumb play last year - the hit on Gilbert. Other than that, he seemed to play within himself and drew more penalties than he took. I still remember a game against St.Louis last year when Chicago was down, St.Louis was gooning it up - per usual - and Carcillo was moved up the line-up with Toews and Kane, more-or-less helping stick up for them and Chicago came back to win the game in dominant fashion.
He needs to be on the ice to help the team. Fact is, he was suspended 3 different times last year, one being a carry over from the previous season.

Old
01-18-2013, 03:21 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
He needs to be on the ice to help the team. Fact is, he was suspended 3 different times last year, one being a carry over from the previous season.
He was suspended twice last year. Yes a suspension carried over, but he wasn't suspended as a Hawk for that incident.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:24 PM
EmeticDonut

vCash: 50
I like Carcillo, but I don't think it's true that he drew more penalties than he took. I think it was more a wash leaning towards taking more penalties. Someone stat-savvy might want to check it out.

EmeticDonut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 03:34 PM
Gootie
Thug of the Year

vCash: 1868
IIRC we tried keeping track of his penalties drawn/committed for a while before he went out.

Gootie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:31 PM
BobbyJet

Quote:
I agree.... and I still think that hit was overblown in its seriousness due to his reputation. The opps player saw it coming, wasn't smart enough to back off, even braced himself and just got overpowered. The awkardness in how he fell into the boards made it appear worse. Some here it seems made their minds up about Carcillo before he played a single game here, and after the hit and his injury, more than a few were agreeing that he'd never wear a Hawk uniform again. Wrong.

Anyway I think Carcillo is once again an intricate part of this team and could easily bag 15-20 goals in a full season while keeping the back of a few of our key players.

BobbyJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 05:53 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Carcillo 44 Gp- 7G 11A- 126hits -27blks- 140PIM

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:42 PM
zytz
lumberjack

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontToewzMeBro View Post
Carcillo 44 Gp- 7G 11A- 126hits -27blks- 140PIM
That's gotta be better than Frodo or
Bickell did all
Year long.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:50 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
He was suspended twice last year. Yes a suspension carried over, but he wasn't suspended as a Hawk for that incident.
My point is he needs to be on the ice to help the team. He played 44 games last year and his season ending injury was completely on him.

Old
01-18-2013, 06:57 PM
Blue Liner

Quote:
My point is he needs to be on the ice to help the team. He played 44 games last year and his season ending injury was completely on him.
That's splitting hairs a bit, don't you think? Guy was trying to make a hit. Dirty or not, it's hockey. Are you really going to blame players for getting injured attempting to make hits? Would you rather them not attempt them? I get your general train of thought but I mean...that's a pretty unreasonable judgement, at least in my opinion. He wasn't going for a dirty hit or a clean hit, he was just giong for a hit, period. It turned to be a pretty questionable one, but it's still a hockey play. Had it turned out to be clean, would you still lay the injury on him? If he tore an oblique taking a baseball swing at someone's head I'd be with you.

Last edited by Blue Liner: 01-18-2013 at 07:03 PM.
Blue Liner is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 06:59 PM
WarriorofTime

People want the Hawks to be tougher (Carcillo) but don't want a player who takes a lot of penalties. Of course the Hawks "lack of toughness" accounts for their very favorable penalty ratio (277 Power Plays last year vs. 233 Times Shorthanded) which accounts for almost as many Power Play Goals (42) than Penalty Kill Goals Allowed (51) despite the Hawks being atrocious in both Special Teams areas.

WarriorofTime is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:25 PM
Rivet52
Sabres & Blackhawks

Send a message via AIM to Rivet52
Anyone heard anything on the status of our old friend Rusty Olesz? Someone on the main board said he failed a physical in Rockford but anyone know what his status is now (where he is, who's roster is he on, why he hasn't been on waivers). Technically, he's up with the Blackhawks again, correct? He'd have to be waived to be assigned to a minor league in a new season.

Rivet52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 07:59 PM
IU Hawks fan
They call me 'IU'

vCash: 772
Capgeek lists him as buried.

IU Hawks fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 08:05 PM
HawksFan74
Tread Lightly

Quote:
That's splitting hairs a bit, don't you think? Guy was trying to make a hit. Dirty or not, it's hockey. Are you really going to blame players for getting injured attempting to make hits? Would you rather them not attempt them? I get your general train of thought but I mean...that's a pretty unreasonable judgement, at least in my opinion. He wasn't going for a dirty hit or a clean hit, he was just giong for a hit, period. It turned to be a pretty questionable one, but it's still a hockey play. Had it turned out to be clean, would you still lay the injury on him? If he tore an oblique taking a baseball swing at someone's head I'd be with you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WarriorofTime View Post
People want the Hawks to be tougher (Carcillo) but don't want a player who takes a lot of penalties. Of course the Hawks "lack of toughness" accounts for their very favorable penalty ratio (277 Power Plays last year vs. 233 Times Shorthanded) which accounts for almost as many Power Play Goals (42) than Penalty Kill Goals Allowed (51) despite the Hawks being atrocious in both Special Teams areas.
C'mon, the guy is a bit reckless. I just want him to play tough and smart this year. Don't over analyze it. Playing half a season and missing the playoffs doesn't help the team.

I think the thing that surprised everyone or at least me is the guy can actually play some hockey. He's not just a side show.

Last edited by HawksFan74: 01-18-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old
01-18-2013, 10:45 PM
Puckgenius*

I hope Olesz gets some time in call up this year. Same with Morin and Pirri

Puckgenius* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 10:52 PM
xX Hot Fuss
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Blue Liner proving yet again why he's my favorite poster on all of HF Boards

xX Hot Fuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
01-18-2013, 11:31 PM
massivegoonery

It's not like they just flip a coin afterwards to determine whether a hit was clean or dirty.

massivegoonery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-01-2013, 10:41 PM
HjamSandwich

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhawkswincup View Post
some combo of kruger or kane at #2 c - ugh
#2 d pairing of leddy-oduya - ugh
crawford and emery in net - ugh

hawks could be picking #1 this year at draft with some of these options on roster
roflcopter

HjamSandwich is offline   Reply With Quote