HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Business of Hockey
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Business of Hockey Discuss the financial and business aspects of the NHL. Topics may include the CBA, work stoppages, broadcast contracts, franchise sales, and NHL revenues.

2014 Olympics and the NHL (UPD: NHL, NHLPA, IIHF, IOC meeting this week)

Closed Thread

Old
01-10-2013, 08:41 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

vCash: 612
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Olympic pros include:
  • Best players on the ice
  • NBC able to promote NHL games (it covers)
  • Entice new fans to NHL hockey

Olympic cons include:
  • Disruption of NHL season
  • Compressed NHL season
  • NHL/teams not allowed to use any highlights on their websites (possibly can be negotiated)
  • NHL teams/league/sponsors have no regular access to players (e.g., "daily" 5 minute interviews for team/league fans, "parties" with fans/sponsors; possibly can be negotiated)
  • Little say in length/format of hockey schedule
  • Potential for injuries/insurance
  • No benefit to league/teams for releasing players ($$/reciprocation)
BS on the bolded parts. Why the frak would they need highlights on their site when those are available on the national broadcasters sites and later on Youtube? Do they not think their fans have the brain capacity to find it if it's not on their site?

NHL decided the crappy schedule for Nagano which basically screwed Slovakia, the schedule is created upon the time which NHL releases it's players. You can't make it any stricter for sure, you'd only create a bigger risk of injury for players and much worse quality hockey.

Every hockey fan in Europe can with full honesty say that the Olympics is the ONLY time major medias outside the major hockey markets, and some times in them, care about hockey. That interest has always followed to the rest of the NHL season, with papers and media folowign the Olympics heroes performances. If that is not a benefit, some one is being very blind or ignorant.

Last edited by Jussi: 01-12-2013 at 06:31 AM.
Old
01-11-2013, 11:41 PM
DyerMaker66

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheswick View Post
They haven't ALWAYS allowed it. Jim Thorpe was stripped of his olympic medals after it was discovered he had played professional baseball prior to his track and field wins. Reinstated 70 years later.
And how many medals did professional hockey player Vladislav Tretiak have taken away from him? You're example merely proves how hypocritical the IOC was/is.

Old
01-12-2013, 06:33 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Originally Posted by DyerMaker66 View Post
And how many medals did professional hockey player Vladislav Tretiak have taken away from him? You're example merely proves how hypocritical the IOC was/is.
You do realize the difference between professionalism in a western capitalist country and communist country?

Old
01-12-2013, 10:11 AM
Theokritos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jussi View Post
You do realize the difference between professionalism in a western capitalist country and communist country?
His point about hypocrisy stands though. It wasn't consistent of the IOC to allow one and ban the other. Now I'm aware of the problems and politics involved in the whole matter, but in the end it just wasn't fair, that much shouldn't be contested.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:17 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Yes: The difference is semantics because there isn't one.

Old
01-12-2013, 10:34 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theokritos View Post
His point about hypocrisy stands though. It wasn't consistent of the IOC to allow one and ban the other. Now I'm aware of the problems and politics involved in the whole matter, but in the end it just wasn't fair, that much shouldn't be contested.
That is exactly my point.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:27 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
Yes: The difference is semantics because there isn't one.
There's quite a huge difference when you compare what a professional made in the US and the Soviet Union. In the latter it consisted mostly of a bigger apartment, better car, better tv and that's about it. The correct term or wording when speaking of Soviet athletes is that they were trained professionally or given access to professional training. They certainly didn't live like professionals in the western sense and that was what the IOC used as the standard for "professionals" aka taking money for athletic performances.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:43 AM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
There's quite a huge difference when you compare what a professional made in the US and the Soviet Union. In the latter it consisted mostly of a bigger apartment, better car, better tv and that's about it. The correct term or wording when speaking of Soviet athletes is that they were trained professionally or given access to professional training. They certainly didn't live like professionals in the western sense and that was what the IOC used as the standard for "professionals" aka taking money for athletic performances.
That's exactly why Tretiak was a professional, the amount he made matters not: He was payed to play.

Old
01-12-2013, 11:45 AM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
That's exactly why Tretiak was a professional, the amount he made matters not: He was payed to play.
Not according to the IOC definition and communist doctrine.

Old
01-12-2013, 12:06 PM
DyerMaker66

Quote:
Not according to the IOC definition and communist doctrine.
And that's why professionals should've always been allowed to attend and win medals, rather than punishing them for some arbitrary rules.

Old
01-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Jussi
I am siege face

Quote:
And that's why professionals should've always been allowed to attend and win medals, rather than punishing them for some arbitrary rules.
No arguments from me on that but as has been explained before the whole attitude towards professionals was more than archaic. Though professionalism in sports wasn't so widespread globally as it is today.

Old
01-12-2013, 03:16 PM
jekoh

Quote:
Soviet and Czechoslovak players were state professionals.

Having said that, state professionals from western countries were allowed by the IOC as well, see NCAA players or Team Canada.

Old
01-13-2013, 06:35 AM
EbencoyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xref View Post
I'd rather watch the best amateur hockey players in the world compete against each other, and gain that invaluable experience. I believe in growing the sport, and I believe having college kids playing in the Olympics goes a long way towards that goal. The success of the 1980 team had a profound impact on hockey development and awareness in the US. I'll ask: why take that away?

Besides, if all these countries have their best players in the NHL as you say, then I can watch them play in the NHL. Why do I need to watch them play in the Olympics too?
There's no possible way for the Miracle on Ice to ever be repeated. That's why it was such a big deal - because such a scenario will never happen again, from the state of the sport to the state of global politics and current events.

Amateur players already have the U-20 and U-18 World Juniors. Why the hell would anyone want to give them the Olympics too? Especially when the Olympics are the only time the national teams ever have their truly best rosters available.

The World Cup/Canada Cup was a joke of a tournament and has absolutely no appeal to the vast majority of people. The Olympics are the biggest hockey competition in the world. The NHL is meaningless and irrelevant compared to the Olympics.

Why the hell would the IOC give the NHL a dime? They have no reason to, except to keep the NHL from funding a new World Cup of some kind that nobody will care about and will be shooting themselves in the foot because it'll be making hockey irrelevant, while the IOC still makes boatloads of cash off of non-NHL players simply because they are the Olympics and people are going to watch regardless.

It's actually somewhat hilarious that the NHL thinks it's bigger than the Olympics. This is why the NHL will continue to play at the Olympics, no matter how much of a hissy fit Bettman gives just because he's upset that his stupid league is irrelevant in the grand scheme of world sports. He's the IOC's ***** because the IOC doesn't need him as much as he needs the IOC.

Old
01-18-2013, 12:08 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...ochi-olympics/

Regardless of NHL's involvement, Leonsis will allow Ovechkin to play in 2014 Sochi.

Old
01-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Metalcommand

Would be complete BS if NHL banned the players. I love the NHL, it is the biggest and will forever remain so but it isn't bigger than the GAME!

Old
01-18-2013, 02:51 PM
Northender

I was schocked to hear the new CBA did not include a provision to allow players to go to Sochi.

Bettmann can't be very happy with Leonsis' proclamation today!

Old
01-18-2013, 03:47 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post
I was schocked to hear the new CBA did not include a provision to allow players to go to Sochi.
What is the status of that, anyway? Last I heard it sounded like the league and the PA would decide this issue jointly...

Old
01-18-2013, 03:48 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyStanley View Post
Olympic pros include:
  • Best players on the ice
I don't think that's really true unless we replace the bottom teams with Canada II and Russia II. And possibly even Canada III.

Old
01-18-2013, 08:42 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
What is the status of that, anyway? Last I heard it sounded like the league and the PA would decide this issue jointly...
Something the NHL and NHLPA will have to negotiate (real soon now).

My guess is that if the sides had required this to be in the CBA, the season would not be starting tomorrow.

I'm reading/hearing that the NHL and NHLPA want to be more proactive in international hockey (especially Olympics, World Cup), so the agreement the league and union come up with will include all international events on a 4-year cycle (or whatever).

The united front may also require involvement in coming up with schedule for apres-2014 Olympic hockey tournament, as well as some guidelines for NHL, NHLPA, sponsors, etc., access to players during tournament.

Old
01-22-2013, 03:57 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

http://espn.go.com/blog/nhl/post/_/i...rst-to-re-sign

Team Canada won't announce Sochi coaching staff until NHL announces player involvement (yes/no).

Old
01-24-2013, 11:54 AM
Crease

http://sports.nationalpost.com/2013/...iness-for-nhl/

Quote:
In an email sent Wednesday, NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly said the question was “something we will have to address jointly with Players’ Association and IOC and IIHF in the relative near term.”
Quote:
For their part, players have indicated a strong desire to maintain their role in the Olympic Games. Washington Capitals star Alexander Ovechkin has confirmed his attendance.
Quote:
The NHL has a number of concerns, including access to its players during the Olympics, and the question of how its brand benefits by shutting down in the middle of a season. A question about television viewership was partially answered earlier this month, though, when TSN’s coverage of the world junior hockey championship in Ufa, Russia, delivered surprisingly healthy viewership numbers in Canada despite the time difference.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:26 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbencoyE View Post
There's no possible way for the Miracle on Ice to ever be repeated. That's why it was such a big deal - because such a scenario will never happen again, from the state of the sport to the state of global politics and current events.
They way it could happen is when you get one of these smaller countires that qualify through tournamanet play prior are able to win and earn a medal.

i think it was Belarus who upset Sweeden one year getting to the final 4 thus playing and losing in the Bronze medal game.

Old
01-24-2013, 01:28 PM
Djp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northender View Post

Bettmann can't be very happy with Leonsis' proclamation today!
The issue was because of the NHL-KHL controversies. NHL wants a long term aggreement to prevent poaching et all in order to approve Olympic play in 2014.

Old
01-28-2013, 05:36 PM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

Eric Stephens ‏@icemancometh
Ducks let G Frederik Andersen go play for Denmark in its Feb. 7-10 qualifying tournament for 2014 Olympics.

Old
02-07-2013, 11:33 AM
LadyStanley
Elasmobranchology-go

And we're a year out.

MMB52 9:16am via Tweet Button Guess I'll have to check the secondary market. Tickets to Men's Gold Medal game in Sochi sold out in 1/2 hour themoscownews.com/sports/2013020…

MOD NOTE: if you want to talk about which players might make which team, that is not a topic for the BOH.

Closed Thread